Expired

Tesco cashpoint didn`t give me cash but payment taken from my account

Found 8th Nov 2017
So I went to Tesco after work to withdraw some money from their ATM outside. I did my pin code and selected to withdraw £20 cash. The machine gave me my debit card back as they do but guess what... no cash...I waited and nothing...??

So I went into Tesco and immediately spoke to customer services. I explained that their ATM didn`t give me the £20 and would I be charged? The woman told me they had been having issues with their cashpoints, she went on to say that the payment would show as pending in my account but would not be taken.

I have just checked my online banking and payment has been taken from my account!

I`m glad it was £20 and not £200! not sure what to do now...? how can I prove anything?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Original Poster
Just checked my online banking again to take details of the withdraw and see that money has been issued back into my account. Happy days!
26 Comments
will be in the atm reject bin, call your bank who can investigate.
Contact your bank and the operator of the ATM. if Tesco knew something was wrong with the ATMs. They should've advised people not to use them.
Cctv footage? If they have one at the cash point. ??
For future reference there is a section for questions:

hotukdeals.com/tag…sed

You should get a better response posting in Ask.
Don't worry Frank I'll hunt u a deal for that £20 loss
Original Poster
BarmyBulldog9 m ago

For future reference there is a section for …For future reference there is a section for questions:https://www.hotukdeals.com/tag/ask-discussedYou should get a better response posting in Ask.

That is handy to know BarmyBulldog! don`t norm post any questions on here so noted for future...
Original Poster
I will contact my bank tomorrow and talk to Tesco again on this matter, cheers
Original Poster
Just checked my online banking again to take details of the withdraw and see that money has been issued back into my account. Happy days!
Frank30uk4 m ago

Just checked my online banking again to take details of the withdraw and …Just checked my online banking again to take details of the withdraw and see that money has been issued back into my account. Happy days!

Good to hear. For future reference. The bank and atm operator would check the total notes taken out and compare to what the machine says is left.

Example: £1000 in notes at start .
Machine says all £1000 (50x£20) was withdrawn.

On inspection, 2 notes were left in the machine. So £40 was mistakenly not received.

But on rare occasions a delay can happen and your money was disposited onto a lucky by stander.
Edited by: "kos1c" 8th Nov 2017
Original Poster
kos1c5 m ago

Good to hear. For future reference. The bank and atm operator would check …Good to hear. For future reference. The bank and atm operator would check the total notes taken out and compare to what the machine says is left. Example: £1000 in notes at start (500x £20). Machine says all £1000 (500 notes) were withdrawn. On inspection, 2 notes were left in the machine. So £40 was mistakenly not received. But on rare occasions a delay can happen and your money was disposited onto a lucky by stander.

Yes, I was thinking on the same lines Kos1c. I was just making notes of time, location, withdraw information and happened to notice the money had gone back in as correction (COR)
Frank30uk1 h, 0 m ago

Just checked my online banking again to take details of the withdraw and …Just checked my online banking again to take details of the withdraw and see that money has been issued back into my account. Happy days!

You will be able to sleep tonight Frank Like Father Ted,

Frank30uk1 h, 57 m ago

I will contact my bank tomorrow and talk to Tesco again on this matter, …I will contact my bank tomorrow and talk to Tesco again on this matter, cheers

Next time call the bank as soon as you can, if you don’t have telephone banking sign up most are open 24 hours though some aren’t. Glad it got sorted.
This has happened to me a few times and I went into the bank to report the problem. They took details and said that they count the money in the atm at the end of the business day to reconcile the money. I got the money back the next day. A friend of mine had £400 debited and never got her money back as she did not spot the debit until a few weeks later when her statement came!
Original Poster
mutley126 m ago

This has happened to me a few times and I went into the bank to report the …This has happened to me a few times and I went into the bank to report the problem. They took details and said that they count the money in the atm at the end of the business day to reconcile the money. I got the money back the next day. A friend of mine had £400 debited and never got her money back as she did not spot the debit until a few weeks later when her statement came!

If I ever have this happen again, I will inform my bank right away. I feel for your friend! It was bad enough thinking I lost my £20...
Frank30uk5 m ago

If I ever have this happen again, I will inform my bank right away. I feel …If I ever have this happen again, I will inform my bank right away. I feel for your friend! It was bad enough thinking I lost my £20...

She took £200 but nothing came out so she thought it did not work, so she tried again and again nothing came out, so she gave up, thinking the machine was broke. When her statement came, she was shocked to see the money had been debited. She went to her bank but they said too much time had passed. She was gutted.
Original Poster
mutley110 m ago

She took £200 but nothing came out so she thought it did not work, so she …She took £200 but nothing came out so she thought it did not work, so she tried again and again nothing came out, so she gave up, thinking the machine was broke. When her statement came, she was shocked to see the money had been debited. She went to her bank but they said too much time had passed. She was gutted.

I was to scared to use it a second time! that is realy bad luck on your friends part though...
Frank30uk7 m ago

I was to scared to use it a second time! that is realy bad luck on your …I was to scared to use it a second time! that is realy bad luck on your friends part though...

I went to a santander bank atm on the high street about two years ago. There was no one there. I got to the machine and was about to put my card in, when a wad of cash came out of the machine. It may have a few hundred quid add it was a bunch of notes. I got so scared, I quickly walked away without touching the money. I guess it wouldn't have stayed there long.

But when I got home, I thought someone is in for a shock when they see the money debited from their account. They provably thought the machine didn't work, but it was just delayed!
Original Poster
mutley19 m ago

I went to a santander bank atm on the high street about two years ago. …I went to a santander bank atm on the high street about two years ago. There was no one there. I got to the machine and was about to put my card in, when a wad of cash came out of the machine. It may have a few hundred quid add it was a bunch of notes. I got so scared, I quickly walked away without touching the money. I guess it wouldn't have stayed there long.But when I got home, I thought someone is in for a shock when they see the money debited from their account. They provably thought the machine didn't work, but it was just delayed!

Think I would have done the same thing and walked away, you just don`t know!

I gave it plenty of time but nothing came out other than my card... I waited for a couple mins, lol
Frank30uk12 m ago

Think I would have done the same thing and walked away, you just don`t …Think I would have done the same thing and walked away, you just don`t know! I gave it plenty of time but nothing came out other than my card... I waited for a couple mins, lol

I take a lot of cash out of atm all the time, so I have seen it all. One time, I took out a few hundred quid. The machine counted the money and the notes came out, but as I put my hand to take the money, the machine took it back! I was completely shocked and did not know what to do. I checked the bank app on my phone and breathed a sigh of relief, as the money was taken out but then put back in!
Original Poster
mutley16 m ago

I take a lot of cash out of atm all the time, so I have seen it all. One …I take a lot of cash out of atm all the time, so I have seen it all. One time, I took out a few hundred quid. The machine counted the money and the notes came out, but as I put my hand to take the money, the machine took it back! I was completely shocked and did not know what to do. I checked the bank app on my phone and breathed a sigh of relief, as the money was taken out but then put back in!

Scary! I would have totally freaked
I worked in banking for years. What happens is there is a tally roll like arrangement so they can tell if the amount dispensed tallies with the amount requested. It is actually quite common for people to forget to take the money and it get taken back into the machine. What you can see is your account being debited for the £20 then when the machine is tallied, the discrepancy has been identified and rectified. The biggest headache was never misdispensed money, it was receipts. People are always requesting them but not taking them. The next person then picks up the receipt and two weeks later when they check their statement they see they have a receipt saying they withdrew £20 but a debit of £50. Can't tell you the amount of times I dealt with that
Same thing happened with me but it was £500. Had to go to bank and fill out claim forms. Took them 9 weeks to investigate and return the money.
Frank30uk2 h, 0 m ago

I was to scared to use it a second time! that is realy bad luck on your …I was to scared to use it a second time! that is realy bad luck on your friends part though...

It's a made up story, I wouldn't worry about it.
@Frank30uk Tesco were just trying to reclaim the money they lost on your £45 Xbox
Original Poster
i_have_crabs34 m ago

@Frank30uk Tesco were just trying to reclaim the money they lost on your …@Frank30uk Tesco were just trying to reclaim the money they lost on your £45 Xbox

Thays why i prefer to do cashback at supermarkets.
My cards have sometimes been swallowed by atms, so another reason i avoid.
Edited by: "ran123ran" 10th Nov 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants