Tesco charges every driver £120 when they fill up for fuel - and motorists are furious

Posted 9th May 2023
Tesco customers are up in arms over a policy which sees £120 automatically blocked out of their bank account at the supermarket's petrol stations.
The new policy is being rolled out on Tesco forecourts across the UK due to the rising cost of fuel, and is intended to stop people driving off without paying for fuel.

mirror.co.uk/mon…amp
Community Updates
New Comment

56 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    PS5
    You guys are missing the point..
    There will be people who cannot afford the balance to be held in their account as they are on the breadline. It is a sudden unexpected funds drop for them and their families.

I had the same issue in the USA years ago when I used a FairFX card to pay for about $20 of fuel on the last day of my trip and I had $150 locked out my account. I just transferred more (as we had gifts to buy) then had to pay to transfer it all back after the holiday.
    Deedie
    You're missing the point.

Unless the guy passed his test in the past couple of weeks, he should have been well aware of this. And the solution
    Charger1969
    This makes no sense to me, every pay at pump I have used across multiple petrol stations asks how much you want to spend and the pump clicks off when you hit that amount, it's physically impossible to put more in and drive off or am I missing something?
    Attic45
    In the UK??

I have never in my life seen a pump like that in the UK and i have been driving 20+ years.

You get the max amount the card will allow but never have i ever typed the amount i wanted in then just pressed the handle and waited until the pumped stopped for me. (edited)
    Attic45
    The article is two months old.

Most petrol stations have done this for nearly a year.

No one is furious about this as there has been no reports of people starving or choosing between food or petrol since.

This is a clickbait Reach Media story with very little ‘Jornalism’ included and probably just copied off someones facebook page. (edited)
    MonkeyMan90
    If you're that furious don't pay at the pump
    Deedie
    Is this not how they all work, and have done for a while!
    Tom.Wilson
    A complete non issue.
    bozo007
    How else will the media survive?
    bozo007
    It will help if there is a easily understood notice posted at the pump and the option to pay inside.
    Preditah
    ''One customer, named Scott, claims he was gobsmacked after noticing the sizable dent to his account after he only filled up his bank with £15 of petrol.''

From this day forward, I'm going to fill my bank account with petrol.
    pfagan10
    Embarrassing when you consider the solution is literally only a few steps away.
    cecilmcroberts
    Also if you actually read, take the word Tesco out of this. This is a requirement from Visa or Mastercard.
    MadeDixonsCry
    Slow down there champ, we can't all have common sense.
    crumpetman
    Any news article claiming that "customers are furious/up in arms/astounded" can be ignored.

Why post it as a discussion and not even include any of your own comments on it? What a waste of everyone's time. (edited)
    mds1256
    Old news
    TristanDeCoonha
    I won't believe it until I see a photo of a group of people with their arms crossed doing their best to look unhappy
    tek-monkey
    Pay inside, it takes longer so they serve less customers.
    DaveG46
    Haven't they been doing this since December? I've been filling up there and never even noticed, guess the easy way around it is to just pay in the kiosk
    Piranha_Plant Author
    Article dated: 14 Mar 2023
    spoo
    Morrisons have been temporarily blocking £99 from your account for years when you pay at pump there, I don't remember there being any large scale tabloid/social media whinging at that.
    Biddy2
    This comes up every single year. Along with Asian hornets coming to a town near you when Summer kicks in and then you all need to fear the false widows in your sheds that can kill...

We'll be back in Winter in no time though, so don't worry too much. Except when the 20" deep snow gets forecasted of course then everyone must panic once again!

Same old clickbaity from the newspapers. Just a different year.
    McShane
    Anything for clicks and views for the Facebook mob to be outraged over I guess.

Simply don't use Pay at Pump or use a spare bank card and only put in the amount you want to fill up.
    snapper
    Pay
    by credit card ,it soon updates to correct price without touching your bank account
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants