Tesco Delivery Saver Minimum spend change

Found 8th Jul 2015
Just received an email from Tesco saying that from 23rd July 2015, the minimum basket spend when you shop online for your groceries will change from £25 to £40. If you choose to spend below the minimum basket, orders will still be subject to an additional surcharge of £4. As ever, there’s no need to worry if your order falls below £40 due to substitutions or unavailable items, you will not be charged the minimum basket surcharge.

Quite a jump in minimum spend!
Community Updates
Misc
32 Comments
Main reason I use them over others is the lower minimum basket. Most are 40minimum. It made them more appealing to order from.
Not happy about it really. On many occasion I have managed to have a basket total of £25.01 or thereabouts! I prefer to have smaller more frequent shops. I Probably wont bother again, unless of course this site helps me bring the fee down to £0.00 again next year!
Yellowness78

Main reason I use them over others is the lower minimum basket. Most are … Main reason I use them over others is the lower minimum basket. Most are 40minimum. It made them more appealing to order from.

Sainsburys and Asda is minimum £25? Well they are in my area.
What does the T&C say about them being able to do this? Legal? Allowed to do it or not?
square72

Sainsburys and Asda is minimum £25? Well they are in my area.

Not sure about Asda but Sainsburys-
Minimum order value is £25.00

Please note: if your order is less than £40.00, the home delivery cost will be £6.95.
Ahh that is really rubbish
That's crap. I will just have to order every two weeks instead, or shop instore.
i just phoned up and cancelled, the call rep said they had been bombarded with people calling up to cancel. Sainsburys looks like the best one
Edited by: "ookitnow" 8th Jul 2015
Aldi it is then
Someone on MSE says there's a retail ombudsman apparently. Might be worth waking him up from hibernation and letting him know?
you missed out an important bit of info there op

"However, if you are unhappy with the change to the minimum basket size and would like to cancel your plan then simply contact our customer service team on 0800 323 4048 and they’ll be happy to help"
ookitnow

i just phoned up and cancelled, the call rep said they had been bombarded … i just phoned up and cancelled, the call rep said they had been bombarded with people calling up to cancel. Sainsburys looks like the best one

are they refunding the full amount you paid? if so I may cancel
E-mailed via the on-line form, told them we're over (moving house next week, so starting a new account anyway, perfect timing... hello first time user code).

Also wondering how much the refund will be, paid something daft like £15 for the year and have maybe 3 months left, so like £3.75. Better than a kick in the snatch.
So has anybody who has phoned (or emailed) to cancel their plan actually had a full or pro-rata refund?
looks like I,ll be cancelling my delivery saver then, not much point in being a delivery saver if your not actually saving on delivery, as someone else mentioned I also like small frequent deliveries, i' ll just need to shop elsewhere, goodbye tesco
Isn't this some sort of breach of contract? I signed up for a year at the terms in operation at that time, they shouldn't be able to change them during the contract. Worse for me are the 4 people I persuaded to sign up on the half price offer. They are all going to think I have conned them now, especially as they were elderly and liked the low minimum spend

Also called to cancel ours. We rarely spend over £40 in a weekly shop so it's not worth it for us.

Tesco_shopper

So has anybody who has phoned (or emailed) to cancel their plan actually … So has anybody who has phoned (or emailed) to cancel their plan actually had a full or pro-rata refund?

Our refund was pro rata.
Cmyk9

Isn't this some sort of breach of contract? I signed up for a year at … Isn't this some sort of breach of contract? I signed up for a year at the terms in operation at that time, they shouldn't be able to change them during the contract. Worse for me are the 4 people I persuaded to sign up on the half price offer. They are all going to think I have conned them now, especially as they were elderly and liked the low minimum spend

There is no contract, you signed up for a service. Did you check the T&C, they can change at any time and are offering you the ability to cancel as per the email.
Another shot in the foot for Tesco. They're also dropping the fuel saver from the end of August so this will only lose them more customers.

Unless they can get their prices down to, at least, Asda level, they'll just keep on losing customers. It looks like the current management there have no more idea than the crowd of hopeless accountants who started running Tesco down after Sir Terry Leahy retired.
I'm not surprised really, they'll be haemorrhaging money by offering this. The margin on a £25 food shop will already be fairly small, but then they're paying someone more than minimum wage to physically walk around their store and pick up your groceries for you, for you then to have it delivered (at a further loss to them), or collected from outside of the store free of charge. This is why the very stingy Morrisons has been so slow to move into this field, as they're unwilling to make a loss on anything.
RonChew

Another shot in the foot for Tesco. They're also dropping the fuel saver … Another shot in the foot for Tesco. They're also dropping the fuel saver from the end of August so this will only lose them more customers. Unless they can get their prices down to, at least, Asda level, they'll just keep on losing customers. It looks like the current management there have no more idea than the crowd of hopeless accountants who started running Tesco down after Sir Terry Leahy retired.

fuel saver is not being dropped, it was only a trial and nothing official. Saying they will lose customers because this trial has ended is just speculation.
I'll almost definitely get more value out of it than cancelling at this point so I guess I'm sticking.

I'm not too surprised they looked at it as an area of change- cost me something like £12 for the year between offers, cashback, and clubcard vouchers. Made me £160 worth of stuff in the clubcard boost via referrals. That's not to mention 2-3 lots of delivery a month, for rarely more than £30 orders.

Still might complain though.
Basically the way i see it is, tesco capitalised on offering delivery for £25 or more, its worked out more expensive than it should and they are now bringing it in line with other supermarket delivery offers. The problem with doing so it makes their upper edge practically vanish.

So now the consumer has a chance to choose, the best of the worse?

This is absolutely disgusting. It's called Cartel, or Price-fixing if you will. How's it it possible that Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury's and Ocado all have a £40 min basket ? Have you thought of that?
Not to mention that the 3 big ones- Tesco, Asda and Sainsbury's have all raised their min basket to £40 in the last year!

Singles, couples who don't spend much and above all - disabled and elderly who spend less than £40 and MUST have the home deliveries, are now left with no choice, because all companies have the same policy which is price-fixed. I'm urging you to send an email to: Competition and Markets Authority (CMA). Their email address is: general.enquiries@cma.gsi.gov.uk.

Good luck and hope they'll go Bankrupt soon enough. Horrible companies.
I cannot actually believe that some turd at tesco ignored EVERY request in my e-mail, about closing my delivery saver plan and refunding me, and just replied with the same e-mail they sent yesterday - a stock response. No effort, just pure plain-to-see ignorance. I have never written a reply fuming so bad. It was peaceful, now it's war. FINITO.
Got the email from Tesco's yesterday. Will be cancelling once I am closer to automatic renewal.
Have made enough deliveries over the last 9 months to get much of the £15 mid week plan back.

£25 was perfect for the weekly shop. Thankfully, today Asda just opened in NW London and so
will be buying from there. Its a shame as because of the delivery plan, most groceries came from Tesco.
Gutted with this change.
Dani333333

This is absolutely disgusting. It's called Cartel, or Price-fixing if you … This is absolutely disgusting. It's called Cartel, or Price-fixing if you will. How's it it possible that Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury's and Ocado all have a £40 min basket ? Have you thought of that?Not to mention that the 3 big ones- Tesco, Asda and Sainsbury's have all raised their min basket to £40 in the last year! Singles, couples who don't spend much and above all - disabled and elderly who spend less than £40 and MUST have the home deliveries, are now left with no choice, because all companies have the same policy which is price-fixed. I'm urging you to send an email to: Competition and Markets Authority (CMA). Their email address is: general.enquiries@cma.gsi.gov.uk/* */.Good luck and hope they'll go Bankrupt soon enough. Horrible companies.

What nonsense!

Each delivery actually costs the store around £15. They obviously underestimated how many people would make the minimum shop each week. My delivery saver works out at about 50p per delivery so they would be making a big loss on every shop I make. £40 is probably the break even point hence they have returned to this minimum.

Cartel? Lmao

Singles, couples who don't spend much and above all - disabled and elderly who spend less than £40 and MUST have the home deliveries

Did all these people starve before supermarkets started a delivery service?
Edited by: "chocci" 10th Jul 2015
chocci

What nonsense!Each delivery actually costs the store around £15. They … What nonsense!Each delivery actually costs the store around £15. They obviously underestimated how many people would make the minimum shop each week. My delivery saver works out at about 50p per delivery so they would be making a big loss on every shop I make. £40 is probably the break even point hence they have returned to this minimum.Cartel? Lmao :)Singles, couples who don't spend much and above all - disabled and elderly who spend less than £40 and MUST have the home deliveriesDid all these people starve before supermarkets started a delivery service?

My thoughts exactly, its pure speculation and it was good while it lasted. Now is a time to move on quit the moaning and just live a little.
My del saver anytime works out at £1.50 a week. An absolute bargain to have a huge shop delivered every Sunday. My nearest supermarket is miles away. £40 for a shop is not unreasonable.

There have been warnings in the press about this. Online shopping delivery is a loss leader. There were bound to be changes.
ookitnow

There is no contract, you signed up for a service. Did you check the T&C, … There is no contract, you signed up for a service. Did you check the T&C, they can change at any time and are offering you the ability to cancel as per the email.

No, I didn't read the T & C, still haven't, but as far as I am concerned the rules that applied when I signed up should be honoured for the year. I can quite see why they are making the change but I think to do it so soon after the major recruiting campaign when so many people have just signed up is immoral. They should apply the changes at renewal, I don't want the hassle of having to ring them up to cancel. None of the oldies I recruited are on email so now I have the fun job of telling them all that they have to spend a minimum of £40 - not sure now if the clubcard points were worth it
Cmyk9

No, I didn't read the T & C, still haven't, but as far as I am concerned … No, I didn't read the T & C, still haven't, but as far as I am concerned the rules that applied when I signed up should be honoured for the year. I can quite see why they are making the change but I think to do it so soon after the major recruiting campaign when so many people have just signed up is immoral. They should apply the changes at renewal, I don't want the hassle of having to ring them up to cancel. None of the oldies I recruited are on email so now I have the fun job of telling them all that they have to spend a minimum of £40 - not sure now if the clubcard points were worth it

They are honouring the Rules you signed up to as minimum charge isn't in them
Bangkokgoer

I cannot actually believe that some turd at tesco ignored EVERY request … I cannot actually believe that some turd at tesco ignored EVERY request in my e-mail, about closing my delivery saver plan and refunding me, and just replied with the same e-mail they sent yesterday - a stock response. No effort, just pure plain-to-see ignorance. I have never written a reply fuming so bad. It was peaceful, now it's war. FINITO.

I agree the whole thing was good value, I was just mad as a box of frogs re the sheer ignorance of ignoring my simple request to cancel the remainder of my term. They now apologised and refunded the full annual amount! Bless.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants