Tesco Direct taking money for orders that did not go through Advice

Found 1st Oct 2012
Hi

I tried to place an order with tesco direct over the weekend and kept encountering errors and the order was never placed.

However my bank have decided that it is ok to reserve the money and have authorised it to be sent. I went in ragin to my bank and they tell me they can do absolutely nothing to help me as it has been authorised. Tesco were quite helpful and said that as the money is not related to any order the money will go back into my account.

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem with them and if they got thier money back?

Safe to say I will never order from them EVER again and I am changing bank over this farcical situtation that has left me pennyless

24 Comments

Banned

It's a common occurrence. The money is ring-fenced for a short period of time and if it's not claimed by Tesco will return to your account

whats the problem?

Banned

bigrabis

Safe to say I will never order from them EVER again and I am changing … Safe to say I will never order from them EVER again and I am changing bank over this farcical situtation that has left me pennyless

You were happy for them to take your money for an order yet it's left you penniless?

Are you stupid?

Banned

cool story bro.

needs more dragons.

...............Or for not such a short period even.

Send an email to BBC watchdog who recently decided to feature Tescos online trading issues. If enough people flag up the scale of the problem Tescos will be forced to change their ways and you may get some sort of compensation.

imo buying from Tescos online comes with a degree of risk. Only worth taking that risk if you feel the deal cannot be bettered elsewhere and if you really want the item.

Banned

kunyk

cool story bro.needs more dragons.

http://push.ca/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.21.76/Dragon_5B00_1_5D00_.jpg

Banned

WoolyM

...............Or for not such a short period even.Send an email to BBC … ...............Or for not such a short period even.Send an email to BBC watchdog who recently decided to feature Tescos online trading issues. If enough people flag up the scale of the problem Tescos will be forced to change their ways and you may get some sort of compensation.imo buying from Tescos online comes with a degree of risk. Only worth taking that risk if you feel the deal cannot be bettered elsewhere and if you really want the item.

It's nothing to do with Tesco. It's how the banking system works - it was the weekend and AFAIK no banking systems update over the weekend.

dimebars

It's nothing to do with Tesco. It's how the banking system works - it was … It's nothing to do with Tesco. It's how the banking system works - it was the weekend and AFAIK no banking systems update over the weekend.

I guess its just coincidence then that so many mention having these problems with Tescos then, and not other similar retailers.

Banned

WoolyM

I guess its just coincidence then that so many mention having these … I guess its just coincidence then that so many mention having these problems with Tescos then, and not other similar retailers.

It's not the retailer though, it's the banking system

IMO the OP is over reacting. And if Tesco having his money was going to leave him destitute then why order in the first place?

An order must have been generated somewhere for the transaction to be actioned at the bank. The bank didnt decide on its own to just deduct a certain amount from the ops account. Magically Tescos was involved. What a surprise

Banned

WoolyM

An order must have been generated somewhere for the transaction to be … An order must have been generated somewhere for the transaction to be actioned at the bank. The bank didnt decide on its own to just deduct a certain amount from the ops account. Magically Tescos was involved. What a surprise

I get your blatant anti-Tesco stance, and I'm not their biggest fan, in this case there is only one person at fault - the OP

I think its fair that the op could not expect to spend the money and also have it in their account. But there is an amazing sleight of hand trick that seems to happen all too often when placing orders with Tesco. With monies disapearing from peoples account but not actually buying anything.

I really would like to know if it happens with other retailers as I agree its not fair to keep complaining about Tesco if others are at it as well

Banned

Of course it's Tesco, Amazon don't charge till dispatch for this exact reason.

Its happened to me, making me overdrawn.

Ordered (large order)
tesco Cancelled
thinking hey they wouldnt take the money, placed another large order.
order 1 comes out of account (not just "reserved" actually taken money and done a runner)
order 2 comes out making me overdrawn
lots of cats get drowned in the ensuing mental breakdown
...bank charge for being overdrawn
two weeks later and several calls, tesco refund
bank hear my sob story for the SOB tescos and refund the charge
account back to normal minus 3 cats and a hedgehog
ebay profit rises slightly less than if order 1 was honoured

Banned

The OP wasn't charged. The money was ring fenced, there's a difference

I don't think we have the full story from the now absent OP

Original Poster

splatsplatsplat

Its happened to me, making me overdrawn.Ordered (large order)tesco … Its happened to me, making me overdrawn.Ordered (large order)tesco Cancelledthinking hey they wouldnt take the money, placed another large order.order 1 comes out of account (not just "reserved" actually taken money and done a runner)order 2 comes out making me overdrawnlots of cats get drowned in the ensuing mental breakdown...bank charge for being overdrawntwo weeks later and several calls, tesco refundbank hear my sob story for the SOB tescos and refund the chargeaccount back to normal minus 3 cats and a hedgehogebay profit rises slightly less than if order 1 was honoured

Sounds similar to me. I actually tried placing an order which encountered an error and did not confirm, this happened on my repeated attempts to order as I could have saved £160 on a bed. I tried this a total of five times, failing to order each time and I gave up. Within a few hours I found that I was down roughly £1300 due to the money being ring fenced by the bank.

I spoke to tesco direct on the phone and they assured me that as the money is not tied to an order they will not claim it. My worry is that the money will be taken and I will have to fight tooth and nail for them to even acknowledge this as there are no order records. Hopefully this won't happen.

(Btw I'm a tesco employee and have been for many years)

^^^^^^^^^^^^
If I was you I would ask then for an employee loan then.

bigrabis

Sounds similar to me. I actually tried placing an order which encountered … Sounds similar to me. I actually tried placing an order which encountered an error and did not confirm, this happened on my repeated attempts to order as I could have saved £160 on a bed. I tried this a total of five times, failing to order each time and I gave up. Within a few hours I found that I was down roughly £1300 due to the money being ring fenced by the bank.I spoke to tesco direct on the phone and they assured me that as the money is not tied to an order they will not claim it. My worry is that the money will be taken and I will have to fight tooth and nail for them to even acknowledge this as there are no order records. Hopefully this won't happen.(Btw I'm a tesco employee and have been for many years)

Well i just hope you have the space for your 5 new beds being delivered tomorrow X)
Edited by: "transit" 1st Oct 2012

Original Poster

My money is not back through, does anyone know how long I will have to wait before my bank void the transfer? I'm with rbs and they couldn't tell me when I was in the branch yesterday

Banned

"Safe to say I will never order from them EVER again and I am changing bank over this farcical situtation that has left me pennyless"

WTF were you placing the order for anyway then if you are potless?

Broken Britain in action again!

"I went in ragin to my bank"

A new bank would do exactly the same thing anyway but your current bank will probably want to get shot of you anyway.

Banned

bigrabis

Sounds similar to me. I actually tried placing an order which encountered … Sounds similar to me. I actually tried placing an order which encountered an error and did not confirm, this happened on my repeated attempts to order as I could have saved £160 on a bed. I tried this a total of five times, failing to order each time and I gave up. Within a few hours I found that I was down roughly £1300 due to the money being ring fenced by the bank.I spoke to tesco direct on the phone and they assured me that as the money is not tied to an order they will not claim it. My worry is that the money will be taken and I will have to fight tooth and nail for them to even acknowledge this as there are no order records. Hopefully this won't happen.(Btw I'm a tesco employee and have been for many years)

Story gets sillier by the minute

5 x £160 = £800 not £1300.......................

Original Poster

csiman

Story gets sillier by the minute5 x £160 = £800 not £ … Story gets sillier by the minute5 x £160 = £800 not £1300.......................

If you actually READ what I wrote I would have saved £160. It was costing me between 212 and 236 depending on what vouchers that it would let me use as these were not working correctly and were the cause of the error. It hasn't left me plotless, it has reserved a major chunk of my finance and if it isn't returned soon I will be overdrawn and get hammered for that too.

Still not resolved, bank have back pedalled on the overnight fix to it will default and the money will be accessible within the next couple of days. If not I have to go back (from the branch manager)

bigrabis

If you actually READ what I wrote I would have saved £160. It was costing … If you actually READ what I wrote I would have saved £160. It was costing me between 212 and 236 depending on what vouchers that it would let me use as these were not working correctly and were the cause of the error. It hasn't left me plotless, it has reserved a major chunk of my finance and if it isn't returned soon I will be overdrawn and get hammered for that too.Still not resolved, bank have back pedalled on the overnight fix to it will default and the money will be accessible within the next couple of days. If not I have to go back (from the branch manager)

I was being serious in what I said about asking for an employee loan. After all its your employer who is implicated in this foul up. Was going to say something else but it would have been starred out.

Banned

WoolyM

I was being serious in what I said about asking for an employee loan. … I was being serious in what I said about asking for an employee loan. After all its your employer who is implicated in this foul up. Was going to say something else but it would have been starred out.

OP works for tesco or RBS?

I ordered and paid for something from Tesco direct a month ago, when I got my email confirmation it was in the incorrect name, so I telephoned the store where I was picking it up to explain as i was picking it up the very next day. they wanted me to take a copy of my email in on my "phone", I explained I was using a computer at home, I don't have it on my mobile, but I have the order number and card it was paid for - to which i was told "oh well you can't have it then"! So I told them to cancel it, the lady slammed the phone down on me! So I called Tesco direct customer services, and was holding on for 2hrs as they had a techy prob with their lines! In the end I had to call the general Tescos number to get a manager to phone me back - they then informed me that my purchase was going to be delayed, and that the woman from the branch was clearly just being funny as my card was enough proof, then the manager told me I would be getting a refund for the inconvenience - today I got a phone call from Tescos, they said they refunded me by mistake, and they want their money back!!! Can they do this?
Post a comment
@
    Text