Tesco Double The Difference

Posted 8th Nov 2018
Hi,
Just wondering how many people are aware of Tesco Double The Difference scheme? I only learnt about it recently!
Yesterday I was fortunate enough to pick up SIX boxes of chocolates completely FREE as a result of being overcharged as the offer had ended but still on display on promotional stand.
What are people's experiences of this?
Has anyone had success in using the scheme due to being overcharged?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
this policy been around since around 2008/2009.

One before it was well better, used to get a full refund of the item price + keep the item. I got thousands upon thousands of money + products for free.
deleted254781
I bought an electric razor which had an sel of £50, was charged £100. After a bit of hassle they refunded me £100. The next day I took it back to a different store for a £100 refund

A bit naughty I know but they shouldn't have refused first even though the dtd sign was behind them.
Had a massive result a few days back.

Mud House wine on offer @ £7 but was charged £9 per bottle. I had bought a case of 6. The checkout girl asked me to take one out of the box to scan and in doing so she actually scanned 7. Only when I was walking to the exit did I notice. It took a manager to sort it out but I got the wine for free and a small payment for the inconvenience!

6 x £9 = £56 (actual charge)
6 x £7 = £42 (should have been charged)
Difference of £14 on the 6 bottles. Double the Difference = £28 refund due.
But having been charged for a seventh bottle I also got:
Overcharged for 1 x £9 = £9 overcharge. Double the Difference = £18 refund due.
Total refund due of £46.

Result = £42 of wine for free and £4 for going!
18 Comments
Don't shop at tesco much but i still remember a few years back being paid to buy olive oil from there that was a good day wish I'd picked more bottles up.

For your info if yout get over charged in asda they are supposed to give you a £2 coupon but you may have to fight for it as even their own staff don't seem to know about it until a manager is called.
adhkarzf42 m ago

Don't shop at tesco much but i still remember a few years back being paid …Don't shop at tesco much but i still remember a few years back being paid to buy olive oil from there that was a good day wish I'd picked more bottles up. For your info if yout get over charged in asda they are supposed to give you a £2 coupon but you may have to fight for it as even their own staff don't seem to know about it until a manager is called.

Yes I've had that before in Asda! Always insist they give me the £2 gift card!
I really should've cleared the shelf yesterday
Note that it's worth popping into your local Tesco store first thing in the morning the day after offers end! Although make sure the offer is still displayed on shelf and you must pay the full price then go to CS desk which needs to be open!
I knew about this in the past
Where an item’s price was lower at the shelf but then when you bought it at a higher price you could go back to them and they give u the product for free

Ppl would exploit this using inside information

Now it is a case of them giving u the difference back so not sure how u got the boxes of chocolate free....
psd9934 m ago

I knew about this in the pastWhere an item’s price was lower at the shelf b …I knew about this in the pastWhere an item’s price was lower at the shelf but then when you bought it at a higher price you could go back to them and they give u the product for freePpl would exploit this using inside informationNow it is a case of them giving u the difference back so not sure how u got the boxes of chocolate free....

As an example If a product is on offer for £1 they charge the normal price of lets say £4 You would get £6 back the £3 which was over charged and anther £3 for the double the difference. You're basically paid to take it away

So if something is normally £2 You were over charged a £1 you'll get given £2 making the item free for you.
deleted254781
I bought an electric razor which had an sel of £50, was charged £100. After a bit of hassle they refunded me £100. The next day I took it back to a different store for a £100 refund

A bit naughty I know but they shouldn't have refused first even though the dtd sign was behind them.
Had a massive result a few days back.

Mud House wine on offer @ £7 but was charged £9 per bottle. I had bought a case of 6. The checkout girl asked me to take one out of the box to scan and in doing so she actually scanned 7. Only when I was walking to the exit did I notice. It took a manager to sort it out but I got the wine for free and a small payment for the inconvenience!

6 x £9 = £56 (actual charge)
6 x £7 = £42 (should have been charged)
Difference of £14 on the 6 bottles. Double the Difference = £28 refund due.
But having been charged for a seventh bottle I also got:
Overcharged for 1 x £9 = £9 overcharge. Double the Difference = £18 refund due.
Total refund due of £46.

Result = £42 of wine for free and £4 for going!
this policy been around since around 2008/2009.

One before it was well better, used to get a full refund of the item price + keep the item. I got thousands upon thousands of money + products for free.
windym08/11/2018 16:07

Had a massive result a few days back.Mud House wine on offer @ £7 but was …Had a massive result a few days back.Mud House wine on offer @ £7 but was charged £9 per bottle. I had bought a case of 6. The checkout girl asked me to take one out of the box to scan and in doing so she actually scanned 7. Only when I was walking to the exit did I notice. It took a manager to sort it out but I got the wine for free and a small payment for the inconvenience!6 x £9 = £56 (actual charge)6 x £7 = £42 (should have been charged)Difference of £14 on the 6 bottles. Double the Difference = £28 refund due.But having been charged for a seventh bottle I also got: Overcharged for 1 x £9 = £9 overcharge. Double the Difference = £18 refund due.Total refund due of £46.Result = £42 of wine for free and £4 for going!

That's amazing! the stores are never happy with me doing it! Especially the Express I visited today. I'm worried I'll get banned even though theoretically doing nothing wrong
In my main superstore they will only refund the difference and not double it so I have to ask them! I feel they are pocketing the extra money!
Yep, been around for a while. I thought that they put a cap on it as when it launched I remember hearing someone deliberately found nappies advertised significantly cheaper than what it scanned through as and got loads on different receipts and made hundreds from it.

In my experience of it, unless you specifically ask at customer service for double the difference, they will just refund the difference!
Deleted_08/11/2018 16:42

this policy been around since around 2008/2009. One before it was well …this policy been around since around 2008/2009. One before it was well better, used to get a full refund of the item price + keep the item. I got thousands upon thousands of money + products for free.

Blimey yes, I remember a deal on here for a load of CD's (anybody remember buying those?). From memory we got 8 or 9 CD's and a refund and the eBay price meant you got nearly £40 profit!
Mary_Mary8th Nov 2018

Yep, been around for a while. I thought that they put a cap on it as when …Yep, been around for a while. I thought that they put a cap on it as when it launched I remember hearing someone deliberately found nappies advertised significantly cheaper than what it scanned through as and got loads on different receipts and made hundreds from it.In my experience of it, unless you specifically ask at customer service for double the difference, they will just refund the difference!

Yes exactly the same in my case! In addition when I have a problem I complain to Tesco with regards to the dreadful CS! They should refund you double straight away and we shouldn't need to ask! Makes me wonder if they pocket the extra for themselves!
windym08/11/2018 16:07

Had a massive result a few days back.Mud House wine on offer @ £7 but was …Had a massive result a few days back.Mud House wine on offer @ £7 but was charged £9 per bottle. I had bought a case of 6. The checkout girl asked me to take one out of the box to scan and in doing so she actually scanned 7. Only when I was walking to the exit did I notice. It took a manager to sort it out but I got the wine for free and a small payment for the inconvenience!6 x £9 = £56 (actual charge)6 x £7 = £42 (should have been charged)Difference of £14 on the 6 bottles. Double the Difference = £28 refund due.But having been charged for a seventh bottle I also got: Overcharged for 1 x £9 = £9 overcharge. Double the Difference = £18 refund due.Total refund due of £46.Result = £42 of wine for free and £4 for going!

am i missing something or did you just make that up? none of it actually follows on
6*9 is 54 btw and didn't you pay for 7 bottles?
so would be 7*9 = 63 paid initially
6*2 overcharge = 12 not 14 ->24quid
single 9 quid overcharge -> 18 (and 1 bottle retained) = 42quid back total
= 63-42 = 21quid paid by you for 6 bottles - basically half price
brilly08/11/2018 21:13

am i missing something or did you just make that up? none of it actually …am i missing something or did you just make that up? none of it actually follows on6*9 is 54 btw and didn't you pay for 7 bottles?so would be 7*9 = 63 paid initially6*2 overcharge = 12 not 14 ->24quid single 9 quid overcharge -> 18 (and 1 bottle retained) = 42quid back total = 63-42 = 21quid paid by you for 6 bottles - basically half price

No, you didn't miss anything, that's the 'workings' from the receipt the manager wrote on.

The 7th bottle counted as an overcharge of £9 and DD meant £18 refunded.

I didn't check his workings but yes 6x9 wasn't correct on his workings. There wasn't a bottle retained as it was an overcharge.

They refunded my original payment and put the transaction through as it should be, then refunded me the difference (£4).

However they worked it out (and as above is how it's written in hand on my receipt) I was refunded, recharged and still came out on top.

Edit - sorry to be clear, the original payment was refunded. The new transaction was put through and the DD applied and a £4 credit given (in cash).
Edited by: "windym" 8th Nov 2018
windym08/11/2018 21:43

No, you didn't miss anything, that's the 'workings' from the receipt the …No, you didn't miss anything, that's the 'workings' from the receipt the manager wrote on.The 7th bottle counted as an overcharge of £9 and DD meant £18 refunded. I didn't check his workings but yes 6x9 wasn't correct on his workings. There wasn't a bottle retained as it was an overcharge. They refunded my original payment and put the transaction through as it should be, then refunded me the difference (£4). However they worked it out (and as above is how it's written in hand on my receipt) I was refunded, recharged and still came out on top.Edit - sorry to be clear, the original payment was refunded. The new transaction was put through and the DD applied and a £4 credit given (in cash).

why on earth would they do that? have never ever had a dtd done like that - they were all refunded after an initial payment
refunding then recharging again is moronic
and if a bottle wasn't retained (it should have been as otherwise you get more than double) then how did you get '42quids worth' of wine? if its 7quid a bottle then 7 bottles are 49quid
finding a moron isn't a result its unfortunate, must have been their first day... probably close to their last
brilly1 h, 10 m ago

why on earth would they do that? have never ever had a dtd done like that …why on earth would they do that? have never ever had a dtd done like that - they were all refunded after an initial paymentrefunding then recharging again is moronicand if a bottle wasn't retained (it should have been as otherwise you get more than double) then how did you get '42quids worth' of wine? if its 7quid a bottle then 7 bottles are 49quidfinding a moron isn't a result its unfortunate, must have been their first day... probably close to their last

I always feel bad cause I wonder if the staff get in real trouble for not removing old expired shelf edge labels. I hope they don't lose their jobs as a result!
brilly08/11/2018 21:56

why on earth would they do that? have never ever had a dtd done like that …why on earth would they do that? have never ever had a dtd done like that - they were all refunded after an initial paymentrefunding then recharging again is moronicand if a bottle wasn't retained (it should have been as otherwise you get more than double) then how did you get '42quids worth' of wine? if its 7quid a bottle then 7 bottles are 49quidfinding a moron isn't a result its unfortunate, must have been their first day... probably close to their last

It's how they did it, not sure why you are so bothered by it. It was the manager who refunded, it was all his working as the staff at the desk didn't know how to put it through.

As for having a bottle retained, I was charged for 7 and only had 6. If they'd retained one I would only have 5. I bought 6 and I took 6 home, that's why it's £42 worth of wine. As for the moron finding, I think I did....more than once.
windym09/11/2018 06:53

It's how they did it, not sure why you are so bothered by it. It was the …It's how they did it, not sure why you are so bothered by it. It was the manager who refunded, it was all his working as the staff at the desk didn't know how to put it through. As for having a bottle retained, I was charged for 7 and only had 6. If they'd retained one I would only have 5. I bought 6 and I took 6 home, that's why it's £42 worth of wine. As for the moron finding, I think I did....more than once.

ah ... they retained a virtual bottle... meh... my bad
why i am bothered is incompetence bothers me especially in the upper levels
ofc you did take advantage of them as obviously it was wrong and simple to see
Nice as itmay be to get double the difference, it’s the staff that suffer, which no one bothers about, they do not make mistakes dilibrate or wish to overcharge customers, it’s a genuine mistake and they are taken

into the managers office andgiven a dressing down and it can also lead to a disciplinary if they
repeat the error, so please bear in mind the possibility for that member of staff who is doing an honest days work may possibly loose their jog
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants