Tesco guarantee on TVs

Found 17th Jun
I bought an LG TV from Tesco which just broke down only after 3.5 years. Does anyone one if this would be covered by some kind of guarantee either by the manufacturer or Tesco?
Community Updates
TV
8 Comments
How did it break? What has stopped working?
Contact Tesco and ask to make an out of warranty claim under the sales of goods act ( Any electrical item should last a reasonable amount of time).
I got 50% back on a 3 yr old tv from Currys, I probably should have held out for more, but luckily tv prices had gone right down.
Edited by: "Darzen" 17th Jun
Darzen is correct. I doubt they will give you the money on first request. Look at Which and Money Saving Expert for advice and template letters. Starting the claim correctly helps and the templates cover this. Simply phoning up and saying 'not good enough' doesnt work. You have to explain that you purchased an item that, as a consumer, you had a reasonable expectation of it lasting xx years. See which.co.uk/con…act

For goods purchased post 1st October 2015, the Consumer Rights act applies and strengthens a consumer's position on this. The Which article covers this
I think it's really difficult as you have to prove the fault was already there when you bought the TV. So if you had the TV on all day, everyday for 3.5 years it could just simply be wear and tear. They could just say you used it a lot and how can you prove you didn't?
keebb913 h, 39 m ago

How did it break? What has stopped working?

Its most likely the TV backlight, can hear sound but no picture.
Decoded17th Jun

I think it's really difficult as you have to prove the fault was already …I think it's really difficult as you have to prove the fault was already there when you bought the TV. So if you had the TV on all day, everyday for 3.5 years it could just simply be wear and tear. They could just say you used it a lot and how can you prove you didn't?

I think, as mentioned above, it should have lasted a reasonable amount of time. I would normally believe TV sets to function well for at least 5 years, if not more.
panand2 h, 34 m ago

I think, as mentioned above, it should have lasted a reasonable amount of …I think, as mentioned above, it should have lasted a reasonable amount of time. I would normally believe TV sets to function well for at least 5 years, if not more.

I agree, but you've to prove the fault was already in the TV when you bought it which is difficult to prove. You've been unlucky for it to last only a few years though. You could always approach the shop and complain and they might offer something towards another. It's worth a shot I guess.
Edited by: "Decoded" 18th Jun
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions