Tesco in Charity round-up kerfuffle!

Posted 3rd Sep
It would appear that in some instances Tesco employees may not have been making their customers aware that their shopping bill was to be 'rounded up' in order to donate to charity.

manchestereveningnews.co.uk/new…334

What is the world coming to ...

Tesco, you should be ashamed of yourselves
Community Updates
Misc
14 Comments
I noticed this a the self-service. Just donating to "charity" is meaningless. There are only a few I'd support, so to be shown which charity my money is going to is important to me.

Edit. Looks like it's three charities, Cancer Research UK, the British Heart Foundation and Diabetes UK, so that's ok with me.
Edited by: "Predikuesi" 3rd Sep
Predikuesi03/09/2020 17:09

I noticed this a the self-service. Just donating to "charity" is …I noticed this a the self-service. Just donating to "charity" is meaningless. There are only a few I'd support, so to be shown which charity my money is going to is important to me.Edit. Looks like it's three charities, Cancer Research UK, the British Heart Foundation and Diabetes UK, so that's ok with me.

The initiative allows you to round your spend up to the nearest pound at the checkout, with the additional amount going to one of three charities - Cancer Research UK, the British Heart Foundation and Diabetes UK.
I’m sure it’s maybe a handful of Tesco employees across the board , so you can’t really target everyone that works for Tesco though!
Edited by: "Cbear81" 3rd Sep
Cbear8103/09/2020 18:25

I’m sure it’s maybe a handful of Tesco employees across the board so you ca …I’m sure it’s maybe a handful of Tesco employees across the board so you can’t really target everyone that works for Tesco ..

Agreed
benhornsby199903/09/2020 18:48

Agreed

I am glad we are all in agreement as I did say & I quote “In some instances...”
I can understand some employees choosing to not say anything - I mean they wouldn't want to face the abuse they could get from some people.
On an aside, Screwfix do this when you shop online - you get the choice whether to round up or not.
Ringfinger03/09/2020 22:49

I can understand some employees choosing to not say anything - I mean they …I can understand some employees choosing to not say anything - I mean they wouldn't want to face the abuse they could get from some people. On an aside, Screwfix do this when you shop online - you get the choice whether to round up or not.

If intentional it's tantamount to theft and surely grounds for gross misconduct if caught, so I'm not really sure how it's understandable. They might as well be putting the change in their pockets.
RossD8903/09/2020 23:18

If intentional it's tantamount to theft and surely grounds for gross …If intentional it's tantamount to theft and surely grounds for gross misconduct if caught, so I'm not really sure how it's understandable. They might as well be putting the change in their pockets.

If it's an 'opt out' situation I can understand it. Poor shop staff have to implement management policies, no matter how idiotic they are and regardless of the abuse the staff could (and do) receive from the customer's (who are always right). Often with no back up from the aforementioned management, who will then blame the shop staff for the failure of the latest management fad. Usually resulting in dismissals and redundancies. Don't get upset at the staff, take your complaints to the management.
Management should have adequate signage, full staff training (not just selected staff and hope the message filters down , as happens in a lot of large establishments where there are many part timers and zero hour contract staff who Just work odd hours here and there) and be available to resolve any queries - not in the canteen .
Ringfinger03/09/2020 23:43

If it's an 'opt out' situation I can understand it. Poor shop staff have …If it's an 'opt out' situation I can understand it. Poor shop staff have to implement management policies, no matter how idiotic they are and regardless of the abuse the staff could (and do) receive from the customer's (who are always right). Often with no back up from the aforementioned management, who will then blame the shop staff for the failure of the latest management fad. Usually resulting in dismissals and redundancies. Don't get upset at the staff, take your complaints to the management. Management should have adequate signage, full staff training (not just selected staff and hope the message filters down , as happens in a lot of large establishments where there are many part timers and zero hour contract staff who Just work odd hours here and there) and be available to resolve any queries - not in the canteen .

I take what you are saying on board, but I don't believe that it is an opt out situation, because that would just be bad PR.
Edited by: "RossD89" 4th Sep
RossD8903/09/2020 23:55

I take what you are saying on board, but I don't believe that it is an opt …I take what you are saying on board, but I don't believe that it is an opt out situation, because that would just be bad PR.

Personally, I don't know. I've shopped a couple of times at Tesco and just swiped and left (couple of items, and when things are usually 'something' 99p, 1 or 2pence extra isn't noticeable).
Years ago the co-op used to have a 'dividend' number where, if you forgot your co-op number you could donate your dividends points to their charity fund. They would be better off doing this.
Incidentally, I knew someone who worked on the tills at Tesco who used to 'drop' people's Tesco card on the floor , swipe their own card, then 'drop' their own card on the floor and return the customers unused cards to them. Got away with it for years, until they started scanning them.
the ceos of said charities are on more than £200,000 a year taking out of the charities
smudger704/09/2020 15:01

the ceos of said charities are on more than £200,000 a year taking out of …the ceos of said charities are on more than £200,000 a year taking out of the charities

Good work if you can get it .. better than working in Tesco
Edited by: "Jump_Out_Gang" 4th Sep
Post a comment
@
    Text