Tesco launch water in cans CanO water as part of £3 meal deal in a bid to help people avoid plastic

Found 6th Aug
I have often wondered why they sell water in bottles and not cans but now Tesco are the first supermarket to launch spring water in bottles called CanO water.

It is now part of their £3 lunchtime meal deal too in over 700 stores.
They are 500ml cans and with the news recently that over 66% of plastic food packaging is un-recyclable its a great idea in my book.

If you are worried that you won't be able to drink the whole lot in one go, it also has a reusable lid so like a bottle, you can seal it and save it for later.

Aluminium is infinitley recyclable and the makers say that in theory a can could be drank, recycled and back on the shelf as a brand new can in as little as 60 days - wow!

3005879.jpg3005879.jpg
Community Updates
MiscSupermarket
Top comments
whats the lid made of then?
40 Comments
Also at ocado
Not sure how a can you can use once and then recycle is better than a bottle you can use multiple times and then recycle.
spoo4 m ago

Not sure how a can you can use once and then recycle is better than a …Not sure how a can you can use once and then recycle is better than a bottle you can use multiple times and then recycle.

It can be used more than once :-

"Resealable

On the run? Don't worry - No more throwing your can away when it's half full, simply reseal it and drink later. You can even refill your can
."

Link
tregs3 m ago

It can be used more than once :-"Resealable On the run? Don't worry - No …It can be used more than once :-"Resealable On the run? Don't worry - No more throwing your can away when it's half full, simply reseal it and drink later. You can even refill your can."Link

Fair enough, the original post didn't mention they were refillable, all depends how strong the resealable cap is.
34620013-9lDcf.jpg
Yes, we can.
whats the lid made of then?
spoo1 h, 17 m ago

Fair enough, the original post didn't mention they were refillable, all …Fair enough, the original post didn't mention they were refillable, all depends how strong the resealable cap is.

I did mention its resealable - even added a picture as well to show you how its done.....

"If you are worried that you won't be able to drink the whole lot in one go, it also has a reusable lid so like a bottle, you can seal it and save it for later."

34620793-4Flb7.jpg
Edited by: "emribena" 6th Aug
emribena6 m ago

I did mention its resealable - even added a picture as well to show you …I did mention its resealable - even added a picture as well to show you how its done....."If you are worried that you won't be able to drink the whole lot in one go, it also has a resuable lid so like a bottle, you can seal it and save it for later."[Image]

Resealable isn't the same as refillable. If that cap is as flimsy as it looks it won't stay watertight for long unlike a bottle with a screwtop lid.
The thing that makes me scratch my head

Is why people can't organise a drink of water without buying something in a plastic bottle or can ?
spoo12 m ago

Resealable isn't the same as refillable. If that cap is as flimsy as it …Resealable isn't the same as refillable. If that cap is as flimsy as it looks it won't stay watertight for long unlike a bottle with a screwtop lid.

Theres a nice video on their website - looks pretty sturdy tbh. I thought you weren't meant to reuse water bottles as it was bad for you with the chemicals / bacteria in them (I use my Evian ones all the time as I like the sports top thingy never without one only replace about every 6 weeks) I think I read somewhere too about reusing plastic bottles and exposing them to sunlight did something else to them as well.
I suppose being aluminum the cans would keep your drink cooler and you could put them through the dishwasher if you wanted?

independent.co.uk/lif…tml

Top reseal Video
spoo1 h, 50 m ago

Not sure how a can you can use once and then recycle is better than a …Not sure how a can you can use once and then recycle is better than a bottle you can use multiple times and then recycle.

Not many people like refilling with tap water either though.
emribena16 m ago

Theres a nice video on their website - looks pretty sturdy tbh. I thought …Theres a nice video on their website - looks pretty sturdy tbh. I thought you weren't meant to reuse water bottles as it was bad for you with the chemicals / bacteria in them (I use my Evian ones all the time as I like the sports top thingy never without one only replace about every 6 weeks) I think I read somewhere too about reusing plastic bottles and exposing them to sunlight did something else to them as well. I suppose being aluminum the cans would keep your drink cooler and you could put them through the dishwasher if you wanted?https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/why-not-re-use-plastic-water-danger-dirty-bacteria-bottles-sex-hormones-toilet-a7809696.htmlTop reseal Video

Some people would say you’re part of the tin hat brigade for bringing up this kind of info or you’re paranoid because you’re shedding light that these plastic chemicals could cause cancer. I love this kind of info
The first deal I posted was for a water bottle
I have it here with me right now

Five years later

Get a grip people.
jayonline859 m ago

Some people would say you’re part of the tin hat brigade for bringing up t …Some people would say you’re part of the tin hat brigade for bringing up this kind of info or you’re paranoid because you’re shedding light that these plastic chemicals could cause cancer. I love this kind of info

It'll be something else next week, butter was bad for you now is good. But health risks or not, plastic is awful for the environment, hate these pictures of exotic beaches covered in plastic, turtles dying with plastic ring pulls through there heads that have grown into their shells and stuff. I used to live in Oz in Cairns on the Barrier Reef and some of the islands there now are unrecognisable with the plastic washed up - very sad in such a short space of time something that's been there for thousands of years is ruined by us all.
34621301-XVuBT.jpg
Wongy11042 m ago

The thing that makes me scratch my headIs why people can't organise a …The thing that makes me scratch my headIs why people can't organise a drink of water without buying something in a plastic bottle or can ?

it's the drive all the way to Buxton to fill it up that takes the time. I usually wait until I've got a few empty bottles
Wongy11048 m ago

The thing that makes me scratch my headIs why people can't organise a …The thing that makes me scratch my headIs why people can't organise a drink of water without buying something in a plastic bottle or can ?

I'm gonna invent that. I'll call it tap o water
emribena6 m ago

Peckham Spring![Image]

was it Schweppes who did that a few years ago? Turned out it was slough tap water with a fancy name.
found it. news.bbc.co.uk/1/h…stm
Edited by: "psychobitchfromhell" 6th Aug
psychobitchfromhell3 m ago

was it Schweppes who did that a few years ago? Turned out it was slough …was it Schweppes who did that a few years ago? Turned out it was slough tap water with a fancy name

Dasani from Kent - funny it didn't last long after that and Coke bought Abbey Well instead
34621503-clKbc.jpg
psychobitchfromhell6 m ago

was it Schweppes who did that a few years ago? Turned out it was slough …was it Schweppes who did that a few years ago? Turned out it was slough tap water with a fancy name

You are sort of right. It was Coca Cola and its water range: 'Dasani bottled water'

Coca Cola own Schweppes.

Link
tregs2 m ago

You are sort of right. It was Coca Cola and its water range: 'Dasani …You are sort of right. It was Coca Cola and its water range: 'Dasani bottled water'Coca Cola own Schweppes.Link

Yeah. Found the article and added it to my post. Seems there is a precedent for tap o water. I'm off to apply to dragon's den.
psychobitchfromhell33 m ago

Yeah. Found the article and added it to my post.

Haha, so you did. I was too busy Googling for the article and posting that I didn't see your edit
Edited by: "tregs" 6th Aug
I miss the old days when people could go for more than 10 minutes without having to hydrate.
spoo2 h, 48 m ago

My thinking as well - still using my Spainish airport watter bottle 2euro for twice weekly sports activities ( 2+ years ).
psychobitchfromhell57 m ago

I'm gonna invent that. I'll call it tap o water

The whole bottled water thing is just Americanised bs imo
Wongy11018 m ago

The whole bottled water thing is just Americanised bs imo

Would tend to agree though I lived in London and that stuff is rank
They had these cans one year at EGX for a drink called Tornado Energy. The lid worked surprisingly well and didn't leak at all.
psychobitchfromhell14 m ago

Would tend to agree though I lived in London and that stuff is rank

I started going on holiday to west Wales about ten years ago the water didn't taste like what it oughta but after a few years l didn't notice

Not saying some water is not better for brewing or something else but really do people need to being pouring money down the loo ?
Wongy11031 m ago

I started going on holiday to west Wales about ten years ago the water …I started going on holiday to west Wales about ten years ago the water didn't taste like what it oughta but after a few years l didn't noticeNot saying some water is not better for brewing or something else but really do people need to being pouring money down the loo ?

I've got one of those water bottles with a filter and we have an American fridge with a filtered water dispenser too. Don't see the need to spend extra.
psychobitchfromhell59 m ago

I've got one of those water bottles with a filter and we have an American …I've got one of those water bottles with a filter and we have an American fridge with a filtered water dispenser too. Don't see the need to spend extra.

Well done

Got a free bottle of Heineken on cos earlier this year not such a bad drop
emribena3 h, 25 m ago

It'll be something else next week, butter was bad for you now is good. But …It'll be something else next week, butter was bad for you now is good. But health risks or not, plastic is awful for the environment, hate these pictures of exotic beaches covered in plastic, turtles dying with plastic ring pulls through there heads that have grown into their shells and stuff. I used to live in Oz in Cairns on the Barrier Reef and some of the islands there now are unrecognisable with the plastic washed up - very sad in such a short space of time something that's been there for thousands of years is ruined by us all. [Image]

Yeah we are ruining this place. People are too embarrassed or lazy to even pick something up infront of them. I went up Snowdonia a few weeks ago and people were just walking past this empty bottle. It was doing my head, while we sat and ate our food I was watching to see how many people would walk past without picking it up before I picked it up myself. After about 30 people went by this wise lady picked it and out it in her rucksack. Snowdon is such a lovely mountain and it’s a display of what the country would look like without humans lol. Maybe I need to get out the city and into the countryside away from messy masses
emribena3 h, 28 m ago

It'll be something else next week, butter was bad for you now is good. But …It'll be something else next week, butter was bad for you now is good. But health risks or not, plastic is awful for the environment, hate these pictures of exotic beaches covered in plastic, turtles dying with plastic ring pulls through there heads that have grown into their shells and stuff. I used to live in Oz in Cairns on the Barrier Reef and some of the islands there now are unrecognisable with the plastic washed up - very sad in such a short space of time something that's been there for thousands of years is ruined by us all. [Image]

34623493-pWLhR.jpg
This made me think today about what I’ve done and maybe I need to do a little again. It’s a good Monday thought for yourself to think about
Op, have you seen how much wildlife is killed on the roads every day? This is my gripe with us human lot, nobody ever brings this up because we are a selfish bigoted lot who need to get us or items around the earth.

The plastic thing is a bit insignificant, personally we always reuse our water bottles for at least a year or two. Educate people to reuse plastic.

Out there is a harsh world for animals. Especially if you bring the food industry into consideration.
airfix1 h, 27 m ago

Op, have you seen how much wildlife is killed on the roads every day? This …Op, have you seen how much wildlife is killed on the roads every day? This is my gripe with us human lot, nobody ever brings this up because we are a selfish bigoted lot who need to get us or items around the earth. The plastic thing is a bit insignificant, personally we always reuse our water bottles for at least a year or two. Educate people to reuse plastic. Out there is a harsh world for animals. Especially if you bring the food industry into consideration.

Vegan or vegetarian?
Canned water is as good for the environment as electric vehicles (minimal benefit at an inflated prices)
airfix1 h, 38 m ago

Op, have you seen how much wildlife is killed on the roads every day? This …Op, have you seen how much wildlife is killed on the roads every day? This is my gripe with us human lot, nobody ever brings this up because we are a selfish bigoted lot who need to get us or items around the earth. The plastic thing is a bit insignificant, personally we always reuse our water bottles for at least a year or two. Educate people to reuse plastic. Out there is a harsh world for animals. Especially if you bring the food industry into consideration.

Hi airfix mate much as I like your concern for our fellow animals
they biodegrade the plastic doesn't it will be around pretty much forever
Wongy11012 h, 4 m ago

We need to appreciate our puddles more than we do More natural anyway!

34626673-tLMre.jpg
mattsk14 h, 24 m ago

Vegan or vegetarian?

PLEASE don't ask that......if he's vegan he's gonna get angry and find out where you live
I spotted the other day that Snapple now comes in plastic bottles rather than glass. They even highlight this on the label, saying something like 'NOW IN A PLASTIC BOTTLE!' like it's a good thing. Talk about being on the wrong side of history...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants