Tesco Makes Bakery Changes That Puts Around 1,800 Jobs At Risk

Deal editor14
Posted 25th Feb
Tesco are making changes to their in store bakeries by converting 58 of them to finishing off pre-baked products. This leaves 201 stores making some of the popular lines from scratch.

"The retailer said the move, which will see bakeries at another 257 sites remain unchanged, means it will need fewer staff members"

Apparently Tesco are making this change to adapt to customer demand

"Jason Tarry, Tesco’s UK and ROI chief executive, said: “We need to adapt to changing customer demand and tastes for bakery products so that we continue to offer customers a market-leading bakery range in store."

No one wants to be made redundant, although it seems that some may be able to take on other roles within the company. Fingers crossed for those that this affects.

“We know this will be very difficult for colleagues who are impacted, and our priority is to support them through this process. We hope that many will choose to stay with us in alternative roles.”

Source / Quotes
Community Updates

Groups

14 Comments
This was decided when they got rid of the deli, fish and butchers counters out of a lot of stores and only open certain days in others. A staff member who was getting laid off told me it would be less than a year before bakery changed... cost saving exercise.
This would be terrible I liked freshly baked produce not something that has preservatives injected into it
Edited by: "Dylan_Smith135" 25th Feb
Dylan_Smith13525/02/2020 15:43

This would be terrible I liked freshly baked produce not something that …This would be terrible I liked freshly baked produce not something that has preservatives injected into it

No bread has "preservatives injected into it". The preservatives are added to the flour when the dough is made.
jon81uk25/02/2020 16:01

No bread has "preservatives injected into it". The preservatives are added …No bread has "preservatives injected into it". The preservatives are added to the flour when the dough is made.

Same thing
They are frozen fresh bread in dough form, what they bake on the day.
Lots of restaurants use them
meanwhile my local sainsburys is opening a sushi counter next to the deli which I expect will last 5 minutes
jase.225/02/2020 23:08

meanwhile my local sainsburys is opening a sushi counter next to the deli …meanwhile my local sainsburys is opening a sushi counter next to the deli which I expect will last 5 minutes

Had one of those at my local for a few years now very popular surprisingly. Not operated by Sainsbury’s
Edited by: "Dylan_Smith135" 25th Feb
jase.225/02/2020 23:08

meanwhile my local sainsburys is opening a sushi counter next to the deli …meanwhile my local sainsburys is opening a sushi counter next to the deli which I expect will last 5 minutes

My Asda is doing away with the fish counter and putting a Yo Sushi and Gregg's in its place, work should be taking place this week
@Ken? What happened to neotrix? And just before matrix 4 comes out lol
Maevoric26/02/2020 01:59

@Ken? What happened to neotrix? And just before matrix 4 comes out lol

I was following a white rabbit and my name badge fell off as I got into the Nebuchadnezzar. I'll always be NeoTrix on the inside.
Dylan_Smith13525/02/2020 17:25

Same thing

Yes same thing, so all freshly baked products already have preservatives in. So your comment made no sense..
Bargainhead26/02/2020 09:41

Yes same thing, so all freshly baked products already have preservatives …Yes same thing, so all freshly baked products already have preservatives in. So your comment made no sense..

Well it does make sense because if products were sent in instead of baked on the day it would have preservatives in it. If you buy cakes from Tesco they have today’s date on them because it is fresh
Dylan_Smith13526/02/2020 16:45

Well it does make sense because if products were sent in instead of baked …Well it does make sense because if products were sent in instead of baked on the day it would have preservatives in it. If you buy cakes from Tesco they have today’s date on them because it is fresh

But the flour they use still have preservatives in it, even if made fresh lol, the products sent in will be frozen andbaked on premises and still on have same shelf life...
Dylan_Smith13526/02/2020 16:45

Well it does make sense because if products were sent in instead of baked …Well it does make sense because if products were sent in instead of baked on the day it would have preservatives in it. If you buy cakes from Tesco they have today’s date on them because it is fresh

Not all factory made bread has preservatives and not all in-store baked stuff doesn't.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants