Tesco Mobile no longer fully cap their £7.50 Tariff – Now a £2.50 minimum cap has been introduced on all Tariffs

Found 19th Nov 2013
If you are a parent and like me chose Tesco Mobile to give your child/children a cheap phone contract such as the £7.50 fully capped tariff, well! this has now all changed for new customers and existing customers who want to upgrade at the end of their contract.

Tesco Mobile have now done-away with the standard fully cap option on their tariffs, they have introduced a £2.50 minimum cap on all tariffs instead.

This will only effect all new customers and existing customers willing/wanting to upgrade at the end of their current contract or upgrading for a new phone etc etc.

I know the £2.50 changed isn't much but when you have 2, 3 or 4 children using an android phone each, their phones can easily eat into the £2.50 minimum cap by an android application running in the background or several applications running in the background.

The £7.50 monthly contract could easily be £10.00 every month, when you look at it like this Tesco Mobile don't seem to be so attractive as there are so many other £7.50 and £10.00 deals out there by other network providers.

Ovivo here we come! Lol

Whats your views ?
Community Updates
18 Comments

Sorry I don't quite understand this:

I know the £2.50 changed isn't much but when you have 2, 3 or 4 children … I know the £2.50 changed isn't much but when you have 2, 3 or 4 children using an android phone each, their phones can easily eat into the £2.50 minimum cap by an android application running in the background or several applications running in the background.

Running Android Apps doesn't increase the cost of your mobile bill unless you are allowing them to download apps that cost money to play..Or am I missing something and being a dumb blonde lol
I thought about this for my kids but cchose to get the ovivo sim instead...free allowances every month and even if they end up using the original credit on the phone I dont do anymore top ups at all...was a hard lesson to start with but now they know they just have to wait until the next month for their allowances to start again. ..have hade three free kids contracts for the past 3 years.....win win!
Holly1985

Sorry I don't quite understand this:Running Android Apps doesn't increase … Sorry I don't quite understand this:Running Android Apps doesn't increase the cost of your mobile bill unless you are allowing them to download apps that cost money to play..Or am I missing something and being a dumb blonde lol

If you have several apps running in the background that require a data connection, you may use up all you 500MB data allowance which would mean you would go over your allowance and eat into the £2.50 minimum cap (or what ever cap you have set).
lots of apps download data in the background. Some, such as email, may be obvious and notify you when they're downloading/checking, others may not even notify you, I find the play store app itself doesn't give any warning or notification when it's updating itself.
Depending upon your version of android you should be able to disable data usage on an app by app basis or of course you could disable data usage totally.
stay

I thought about this for my kids but cchose to get the ovivo sim … I thought about this for my kids but cchose to get the ovivo sim instead...free allowances every month and even if they end up using the original credit on the phone I dont do anymore top ups at all...was a hard lesson to start with but now they know they just have to wait until the next month for their allowances to start again. ..have hade three free kids contracts for the past 3 years.....win win!

That is exactly what we may do.

The wife and I moved over to Ovivo 6 months ago and have never looked back, still have all our original credit. Trouble is our teenage children use alot more texts than 250 each month, when looking at their Tesco usage bill I can see more texts get used, but minutes and data are within the Ovivo allowance (this is most probably because they don't have an android phone).

At the moment they have a Samsung Chat 335 each, so internet usage is at a very minimum as no android apps to worry about lol. Once let loose with an android phone, then apps, downloads here we come, thank god their Galaxy Tabs dont have 3g data sim. X)
Edited by: "Da11as" 19th Nov 2013
Da11as

If you have several apps running in the background that require a data … If you have several apps running in the background that require a data connection, you may use up all you 500MB data allowance which would mean you would go over your allowance and eat into the £2.50 minimum cap (or what ever cap you have set).

Ah I see that's kind of what I thought you meant thank you for clarifying
yes but they have apps like watsapp which allow them to send text and pictures via Internet. .and viber or skype which allows free calls to other viber and skype users....also they usually only use wifi at home so the data is switched off. ..so the can use the allowances when out
stay

yes but they have apps like watsapp which allow them to send text and … yes but they have apps like watsapp which allow them to send text and pictures via Internet. .and viber or skype which allows free calls to other viber and skype users....also they usually only use wifi at home so the data is switched off. ..so the can use the allowances when out

Lol, the apps you mention such as watsapp, Viber, Skype all need a internet or data connection. So as soon as they want to send messages via watsapp or vibe their mobile data will be used, unless they are at home using a wifi connection or out and about using a free Wifi hotspot.
thats true but 500mb is quite enough deppending on how much they are on their phone
stay

thats true but 500mb is quite enough deppending on how much they are on … thats true but 500mb is quite enough deppending on how much they are on their phone

You seem to be missing the point, its not how long they are on their phone, the apps can run or update in the background and use their data which is chargeable (you dont have to be using the phone), apps can be running in the background with the phone in your pocket or in their bag.

You have got to keep making sure the mobile data switch is switched off to avoid this.
Simple. Switch to GiffGaff
Da11as

You seem to be missing the point, its not how long they are on their … You seem to be missing the point, its not how long they are on their phone, the apps can run or update in the background and use their data which is chargeable (you dont have to be using the phone), apps can be running in the background with the phone in your pocket or in their bag.You have got to keep making sure the mobile data switch is switched off to avoid this.

i'd be surprised if any apps use up 500mb/month on background. and play store app update can be set to wifi only. downloading mp3s and streaming youtube are where kids are going to use the allowance up, and limits and alerts can be placed on the phone so that they don't go over it.

jeez, you could even dock the extra from their pocket money if you had to.

a lot of easily prevented fuss about 2.50 per month tbh
upset brown pant

i'd be surprised if any apps use up 500mb/month on background. and play … i'd be surprised if any apps use up 500mb/month on background. and play store app update can be set to wifi only. downloading mp3s and streaming youtube are where kids are going to use the allowance up, and limits and alerts can be placed on the phone so that they don't go over it.jeez, you could even dock the extra from their pocket money if you had to.a lot of easily prevented fuss about 2.50 per month tbh

Its not so much fuss about nothing really, its the cheek of Tesco taking away the fully capped tariff option on all their tariffs. They have introduced a minimum cap starting from £2.50, why cant they just start the cap at £0.00 and let the parents choose, just as it used to be.

Why does any phone network provider not give the user/customer a choice of setting a £0.00 cap on their account ?

Its because they see no value in making any profit by keeping a £0.00 cap inplace.
iirc they were the only network that permitted you to do this in the first place. (might be wrong). and this zero cap remains in place for existing contracts, the change only takes place for new customers and upgrades.

I imagine it's more down to customer demand as a 0p cap means you cant make an unexpected call or text that's outside your allowance (e.g. even call an 0845 or 0800 number when you might really need to, or send an important text abroad, among many other scenarios) rather than some nefarious scheme to pocket more cash.

If you suddenly need to do so I don't think you can raise the extra cost instantaneously either, but have to wait until the next month (again, i might be wrong on this), so for those rare occasions this actually benefits the customer. I imagine enough customers have been inconvenienced by this for them to make this business decision.

upset brown pant

iirc they were the only network that permitted you to do this in the … iirc they were the only network that permitted you to do this in the first place. (might be wrong). and this zero cap remains in place for existing contracts, the change only takes place for new customers and upgrades.I imagine it's more down to customer demand as a 0p cap means you cant make an unexpected call or text that's outside your allowance (e.g. even call an 0845 or 0800 number when you might really need to, or send an important text abroad, among many other scenarios) rather than some nefarious scheme to pocket more cash. If you suddenly need to do so I don't think you can raise the extra cost instantaneously either, but have to wait until the next month (again, i might be wrong on this), so for those rare occasions this actually benefits the customer. I imagine enough customers have been inconvenienced by this for them to make this business decision.

I have already mentioned the cap only effects new customers and upgrades.

Yes! I can see the benefit from customers who may want to phone 0845 numbers or call abroad etc

BUT! why have Tesco totally taken away the option of the £0.00 cap.

Why didn't Tesco just keep the cap in-place for those new customers that want this option and just add the £2.50 minimum cap for those customers who want this service.

Tesco should have kept their cap tariffs that would start from £0.00, £2.50, £5.00, £10 and so on!

Why do you think they have decided to not keep the cap at £0.00 ? .........

It would be nice for the customer to have the choice.

ok mate. you give em hell
omg !
Three will let you cap your account at the tarriff amount. It works well. Unlike talkmobile where my sons £10 overspend cap (their minimum) still landed me with a £26 overspend. Apparently because it was just one phone call and data from vodafone does not reach them in time.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions