Tesco Opticians Sold to Vision Express

Found 4th Dec 2017
as of today all business transferred to Vision express. They will be rebranded eventually. you no longer can collect or use clubcard points there.

The end of always free eye tests for all... who knows....

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
28 Comments

cheapest glasses now are 3 times what I paid in march this year.

Thank you for the heads up.
32641200-2djv2.jpg

Where you been? This has been ongoing since august.

Original Poster

CoeK7 m ago

Where you been? This has been ongoing since august.

out of the country for 6 months actually.
Got back last month, anyhow its from today and I only know as I got a letter from them today telling me that its effective from today. So I posted today, as I couldnt see anything else and thought may be useful to someone else.

mrwhitelabel2 m ago

out of the country for 6 months actually.Got back last month, anyhow its …out of the country for 6 months actually.Got back last month, anyhow its from today and I only know as I got a letter from them today telling me that its effective from today. So I posted today, as I couldnt see anything else and thought may be useful to someone else.

It wasn't a serious question

I'm sure it will be useful knowledge for anyone expecting clubcard points to know they can't get them anymore.

Original Poster

CoeK4 m ago

It wasn't a serious question I'm sure it will be useful knowledge for …It wasn't a serious question I'm sure it will be useful knowledge for anyone expecting clubcard points to know they can't get them anymore.

If I hadnt of actually been out I wouldnt have replied but it seemed fitting

mrwhitelabel4 m ago

If I hadnt of actually been out I wouldnt have replied but it seemed …If I hadnt of actually been out I wouldnt have replied but it seemed fitting

I suppose i should have asked what planet you've been on... now i'm just hoping you aren't an astronaut.

Original Poster

CoeK29 m ago

I suppose i should have asked what planet you've been on... now i'm just …I suppose i should have asked what planet you've been on... now i'm just hoping you aren't an astronaut.

I've never used Tesco optician, but it doesn't sound like a good thing. Vision Express is really expensive.

MSK.31 m ago

I've never used Tesco optician, but it doesn't sound like a good thing. …I've never used Tesco optician, but it doesn't sound like a good thing. Vision Express is really expensive.

Compared to what?

CoeK5 m ago

Compared to what?

All other high street opticians?

MSK.5 m ago

All other high street opticians?

Specsavers definitely, the others as far as i can tell are all around the same price.

CoeK18 m ago

Specsavers definitely, the others as far as i can tell are all around the …Specsavers definitely, the others as far as i can tell are all around the same price.

Probably depends a little on what you need. I would have rated Boots cheaper than Vision Express.

MSK.4 m ago

Probably depends a little on what you need. I would have rated Boots …Probably depends a little on what you need. I would have rated Boots cheaper than Vision Express.

Yeh it would depend, my fiance works for vision express, was an optician but now works for a different part of them. She tells me about the trouble they have getting people to believe they aren't the most expensive. They compare their prices to everyone except specsavers and basically just match themselves to the cheapest, but it is hard to get rid of some reputations no matter what you do.

CoeK21 m ago

Yeh it would depend, my fiance works for vision express, was an optician …Yeh it would depend, my fiance works for vision express, was an optician but now works for a different part of them. She tells me about the trouble they have getting people to believe they aren't the most expensive. They compare their prices to everyone except specsavers and basically just match themselves to the cheapest, but it is hard to get rid of some reputations no matter what you do.

I always feels like there are hidden costs. Last time I went in, I found a sunglasses frame I liked. Went through the motions, by the time they added my prescription to it it had gone from being £200 to the best part of £600, because they had to get lenses in from another company. My prescription isn't wild either. I wish they would just be more upfront. I'd wasted an hour and felt very stupid. Makes me very reluctant to go in.

I guess cheaper opticians don't stock frames that would need things like that. But I've never been into Boots and had the price jump like that.

MSK.3 m ago

I always feels like there are hidden costs. Last time I went in, I found …I always feels like there are hidden costs. Last time I went in, I found a sunglasses frame I liked. Went through the motions, by the time they added my prescription to it it had gone from being £200 to the best part of £600, because they had to get lenses in from another company. My prescription isn't wild either. I wish they would just be more upfront. I'd wasted an hour and felt very stupid. Makes me very reluctant to go in.I guess cheaper opticians don't stock frames that would need things like that. But I've never been into Boots and had the price jump like that.

I would complain, i don't know much about it other than the odd thing my other half moans about, they make their own lenses though so no idea why they would need to get anything in special.

Cheaper opticians don't have the same range of frames but you are paying for design not really quality of frame, they are mostly made in the same 2 places regardless of who has put their name on it. Cartier are one of the few exceptions to that, thats why their frames are almost never out on display, too expensive.

Tesco had an opticians?

bryanhaines3994 m ago

Tesco had an opticians?

Some of them, i think around 1 out of 3 in my area have one.

CoeK25 m ago

I would complain, i don't know much about it other than the odd thing my …I would complain, i don't know much about it other than the odd thing my other half moans about, they make their own lenses though so no idea why they would need to get anything in special.Cheaper opticians don't have the same range of frames but you are paying for design not really quality of frame, they are mostly made in the same 2 places regardless of who has put their name on it. Cartier are one of the few exceptions to that, thats why their frames are almost never out on display, too expensive.

I could see there was probably truth in it, a standard lens didn't look like it would fit. But I felt like it should have come with a warning on the label

That's interesting, I suspected they might be but could never have been sure. I'm tending to go for function over form these days, no pair of glasses is really pretty anyway. I'd just rather have the comfortable bendy arms now

MSK.9 m ago

I could see there was probably truth in it, a standard lens didn't look …I could see there was probably truth in it, a standard lens didn't look like it would fit. But I felt like it should have come with a warning on the label :)That's interesting, I suspected they might be but could never have been sure. I'm tending to go for function over form these days, no pair of glasses is really pretty anyway. I'd just rather have the comfortable bendy arms now

I don't have glasses, as much as i think i suit them i refuse to wear plain lenses haha. My fiance gets a free pair once a year and gets 75% off vouchers so when i do need them i won't be paying much thankfully. Would love a nice gold Cartier pair but the discount doesn't apply to them

Vision express will buy in the lenses plain and cut them to fit themselves. I think they have a central lab now.

Original Poster

Didn't they used to boast glasses ready on an hour ? Could maybe justify higher price for that

I guess if central lab that's saving costs but adds lead time.

How many letters does it take Tesco to send out to tell you about this, only ever been to one store, had issues with them and never went back but came home to 5 letters. Must have figured out I needed glasses so sent more just to make sure I could see them
Edited by: "eslick" 4th Dec 2017

eslick1 m ago

How many letters does it take Tesco to send out to tell you about this, …How many letters does it take Tesco to send out to tell you about this, only ever been to one store, had issues with them and never went back but came home to 5 letters. Must have figured out I needed glasses so sent more just to make sure I could see them

Probably 5 then.

I always used to use high street opticians fo glasses and have a pair from tescos branded as kangol. All very nice and fit for purpose was all very acceptable. Then saw a thing cone through for speckyfoureyes.com who regularly have offers on moneysaving expert etc . I now have two prescription pairs branded Berkley which are really nice quality gone with plain lenses without any special coatings as i have always found anti glare makes them difficult to clean and smeary. As both of these pairs arrived to my prescription which you upload and were £5 each and people regularly say how nice they look ive never looked back pardon the pun. Always found if you spec the basic pair they always email after few days to ask if you want the coatings etc half price added if you did want the coating.

had a look round tesco opticians last year, thought they were expensive and the glasses were cheap tat.ended up in specsavers and got 3 pairs of £25 glasses and they look dead trendy. Vision express is dead expensive but they do have some nice designer ones.

Original Poster

The free eye tests for all will be a major one I think

JamieBeveridge4 h, 22 m ago

I always used to use high street opticians fo glasses and have a pair from …I always used to use high street opticians fo glasses and have a pair from tescos branded as kangol. All very nice and fit for purpose was all very acceptable. Then saw a thing cone through for speckyfoureyes.com who regularly have offers on moneysaving expert etc . I now have two prescription pairs branded Berkley which are really nice quality gone with plain lenses without any special coatings as i have always found anti glare makes them difficult to clean and smeary. As both of these pairs arrived to my prescription which you upload and were £5 each and people regularly say how nice they look ive never looked back pardon the pun. Always found if you spec the basic pair they always email after few days to ask if you want the coatings etc half price added if you did want the coating.

You don't pay for the same service online, they aren't fitted to your face etc.

CoeK20 m ago

You don't pay for the same service online, they aren't fitted to your face …You don't pay for the same service online, they aren't fitted to your face etc.

Yes i fully agree. Like i say i was pretty happy paying 75 -100 in the opticians and havibg all the touchey feeley services fotted to face etc. Was also very happy to pay 5 and have a pair turn up with the same prescription which incidentaly fitted beautifully too but i get that isnt for everyone. That being said many might feel the £5 pairs offered better value. In terms of risk of not liking etc its good. Even worst case as a spare pair, holiday pair , car pair etc
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants