Expired

Tesco Outlet refusing to send out the repair report.

Found 26th Dec 2011
I recently bought a laptop from Tesco Outlet with 1 year warranty and it broke (I suspect hard drive error as the screen went blue) So I contacted Tesco and returned to repair under their warranty.

They have come back saying that it is not cost effective to repair and to buy a new laptop from them and add the extra monies owed. I bought the tier one branded laptop at £170 and the same spec costs £300+.

Can I legally request to see the warranty report to see what the problem is exactly and possibly repair myself (which will void the warranty but the warranty isn't helping me anyway). I have asked them but they keep saying " unfortunately I do not have the repair report so I am unable to find out what is wrong it." Which is not very helpful.

I don't really want a refund either as it was a good laptop at a very good price. Preferably I would like the same spec laptop as a replacement at no extra cost (probably a long shot).

Any ideas what I can legally do?

Any help would be appreciated.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
14 Comments

Banned

so you want extra on top of what you paid?

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

so you want extra on top of what you paid?

I want what I paid for or a replacement of what I paid for.

cdemico

I want what I paid for or a replacement of what I paid for.

Yeah I thought they would have to offer either the money back, or as near a like for like as is possible.

Banned

So you want a £300 laptop for £170? All because they now can't supply a £170 laptop?

If you get your £170 back then you should be ecstatic

Banned

asayer

Yeah I thought they would have to offer either the money back, or as near … Yeah I thought they would have to offer either the money back, or as near a like for like as is possible.

they would offer the cost back but op wants more

What do you expect when you buy from Tesco? Customer service? (_;)

Tesco offer the bare legal minimum (or less if they can get away with it). And the bare legal minimum is a refund of the cost of the laptop.

They're not too concerned about customer goodwill because they've got enough other customers so they've no need to bother with the odd disgruntled punter.

Banned

RonChew

What do you expect when you buy from Tesco? Customer service? (_;)Tesco … What do you expect when you buy from Tesco? Customer service? (_;)Tesco offer the bare legal minimum (or less if they can get away with it). And the bare legal minimum is a refund of the cost of the laptop. They're not too concerned about customer goodwill because they've got enough other customers so they've no need to bother with the odd disgruntled punter.

can you tell me which store would give a £300 laptop as replacement for a £170 one?

Original Poster

fine, obviously WTP is not going to help.

End of the day I want the best deal as possible. Everyone wants the best for themselves. Especially as it is an elderly house bound individual use this laptop and I dont want to let him down.

But will apprciate any legislation or anything please.

Banned

dimebars

So you want a £300 laptop for £170? All because they now can't supply a £ … So you want a £300 laptop for £170? All because they now can't supply a £170 laptop?If you get your £170 back then you should be ecstatic

I wouldn't be, I would want a replacement if it couldn't be repaired and I certainly wouldn't be paying any extra for it. Not sure why people think its wrong to want that TBH as if it was them I sure they wouldn't be happy.

At minimum they have to offer you a refund, minus an amount for the time you had it, or a replacement.
What offers have they made to you?

You could try your local Trading Standards but I'm afraid they'll tell you exactly the same as everyone else. The most you are entitled to is a refund of the purchase price.

Learn from your mistake and think twice about shopping at Tesco again. Mind you, the only trader that I know of that might offer you more than the original purchase price in compensation is John Lewis. And, as far as I know, they don't sell £170 laptops.

Original Poster

thesaint

At minimum they have to offer you a refund, minus an amount for the time … At minimum they have to offer you a refund, minus an amount for the time you had it, or a replacement.What offers have they made to you?

To buy a new laptop in their range and if it costs anything extra to pay the extra. Guess I'll have to request a refund.

cdemico

To buy a new laptop in their range and if it costs anything extra to pay … To buy a new laptop in their range and if it costs anything extra to pay the extra. Guess I'll have to request a refund.

Well, they have offered you over and above their legal requirement.
Won't they send it back un-repaired?

Original Poster

thesaint

Well, they have offered you over and above their legal requirement.Won't … Well, they have offered you over and above their legal requirement.Won't they send it back un-repaired?

Currently they are refusing to send the laptop back or send me a copy of the repair report. Really annoying!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions