Tesco parking Disabled spots...fines coming

Found 11th Feb
Drivers who disobey parking rules at Tesco’s superstores, despite not acting illegally, will now be fined thanks to a new enforcement scheme being used by superstores across Surrey and Hampshire, including Guildford and Aldershot.

Tesco staff will download an app which allows them to photograph cars parked in disabled bays but without a blue badge, or taking up family spaces without any children under 12.

For family parking bays, the age limit on children can change from store to store, but for most supermarkets it is 12 years or under.

The evidence is then sent to Horizon Parking, which will fine motorists
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Excellent news...its about time
They aren't allowed to issue fines. They can issue PARKING Charge Notices which are not backed up by law.
davewave7 m ago

Maybe their cameras can photograph who is getting in and out of a car?

"excuse me Mr Tesco Trolley Pusher. Are you attempting to take photos of my 5 year old daughter?"
Chiptivo42 m ago

If they do they can then be asked to leave the private property of the car …If they do they can then be asked to leave the private property of the car park and/or store. Going round taking pictures of people and these sneaky techniques by Horizon is just shameful. Tesco should be ashamed of themselves...

Hmm its not Tesco who should be ashamed but those irresponsible wretches who park in disabled or parent spaces when they aren't entitled to.
95 Comments
davewave11 m ago

Agreed this is great news as at my local store the amount of lazy people without kids or disabled parking in this spaces is shocking. Ive said something to people a couple of times and got dogs abuse back and the store staff just shrug and do nothing

So I cant wait for this to happen even though im not disabled and dont have kids
They aren't allowed to issue fines. They can issue PARKING Charge Notices which are not backed up by law.
SJHan4 m ago

They aren't allowed to issue fines. They can issue PARKING Charge Notices …They aren't allowed to issue fines. They can issue PARKING Charge Notices which are not backed up by law.

I am guessing Tesco have a legal and compliance team
davewave18 m ago

I am guessing Tesco have a legal and compliance team

I'd like to see how a photo taken by a member of staff at Tesco would prove you didn't have children with you.
SJHan2 m ago

I'd like to see how a photo taken by a member of staff at Tesco would …I'd like to see how a photo taken by a member of staff at Tesco would prove you didn't have children with you.

Tesco using Horizon Crooks.
Time to avoid and shop in Sainsburys
Yeah... good luck with that, Tesco.
Chiptivo3 m ago

Tesco using Horizon Crooks. Time to avoid and shop in Sainsburys

Yes please it would be most appreciated if you're someone who illegally parks in the wrong bays.
davewave54 s ago

Yes please it would be most appreciated if you're someone who illegally …Yes please it would be most appreciated if you're someone who illegally parks in the wrong bays.

It;s not illegal to park in a tesco child or disabled marked bay... Jesus!
davewave7 m ago

"excuse me Mr Tesco Trolley Pusher. Are you attempting to take photos of my 5 year old daughter?"
Chiptivo3 m ago

It;s not illegal to park in a tesco child or disabled marked bay... Jesus!

Yeah...just socially irresponsible, either way not very kind to nick a parent or disabled bay.
davewave12 m ago

I think they'd want to run that by your previously mentioned legal and compliance team
davewave12 m ago

I'd like to see how they're going to prove a child is over the age of 12 when sending out fines.
davewave3 m ago

Yeah...just socially irresponsible, either way not very kind to nick a …Yeah...just socially irresponsible, either way not very kind to nick a parent or disabled bay.

It's gone from being illegal to theft now. Interesting.

Socially irresponsible, I agree with, but some of these car parks are not correctly/clearly lableled or have sufficient lighting, and for Horizon to come along and issue demands for payment to scare folk who may have accidently parked in one is just penny pinching for Horizon/Tesco.

When they are taking photos to issues demands for money, why not just inform the person they have parked incorrectly and politely ask them to move?
Chiptivo1 m ago

It's gone from being illegal to theft now. Interesting. Socially …It's gone from being illegal to theft now. Interesting. Socially irresponsible, I agree with, but some of these car parks are not correctly/clearly lableled or have sufficient lighting, and for Horizon to come along and issue demands for payment to scare folk who may have accidently parked in one is just penny pinching for Horizon/Tesco. When they are taking photos to issues demands for money, why not just inform the person they have parked incorrectly and politely ask them to move?

Because the sort of selfish oafs who nick disabled or parent bays would probably threaten violence and verbal abuse.
Seems a bit overbearing - don’t shop at Tesco, don’t use disabled parking spaces, but wouldn’t like to shop there if they have that ‘catch them’ mentality. Doesn’t help when the only people I see using those spaces are ‘hobbling’ in with their benefit accessory the NHS cane, then walking out fine carrying their alcohol and cigarettes, forgetting to limp.

At least it’s only Tesco employees that are shopping you - if it were the public I could definitely see people taking revenue on individuals that have nothing better to do than grass.
fivegoldstars4 m ago

I think they'd want to run that by your previously mentioned legal and …I think they'd want to run that by your previously mentioned legal and compliance team

Yeah photos are taken all the time on what is known as CCTV in supermarkets, pretty sure it isn't uncommon.
davewave2 m ago

Because the sort of selfish oafs who nick disabled or parent bays would …Because the sort of selfish oafs who nick disabled or parent bays would probably threaten violence and verbal abuse.

If they do they can then be asked to leave the private property of the car park and/or store.
Going round taking pictures of people and these sneaky techniques by Horizon is just shameful.
Tesco should be ashamed of themselves...
You don’t know the reason for people using those spaces: a guy at work has problems with his bladder and often has to park up to use a shop toilet. If he parks in a disabled bay for one moment, should he be penalise because he doesn’t have the blue badge?
davewave2 m ago

Yeah photos are taken all the time on what is known as CCTV in …Yeah photos are taken all the time on what is known as CCTV in supermarkets, pretty sure it isn't uncommon.

...and you think that's the same as storing and transmitting images on a mobile phone?
annoys me when I see this, it also annoys me when a neighbour parks his van over the whole pavement leaving no gap for anyone to walk!
joesmum3 m ago

annoys me when I see this, it also annoys me when a neighbour parks his …annoys me when I see this, it also annoys me when a neighbour parks his van over the whole pavement leaving no gap for anyone to walk!

So you and tell him?
Chiptivo42 m ago

If they do they can then be asked to leave the private property of the car …If they do they can then be asked to leave the private property of the car park and/or store. Going round taking pictures of people and these sneaky techniques by Horizon is just shameful. Tesco should be ashamed of themselves...

Hmm its not Tesco who should be ashamed but those irresponsible wretches who park in disabled or parent spaces when they aren't entitled to.
lockwoodisbored42 m ago

You don’t know the reason for people using those spaces: a guy at work has …You don’t know the reason for people using those spaces: a guy at work has problems with his bladder and often has to park up to use a shop toilet. If he parks in a disabled bay for one moment, should he be penalise because he doesn’t have the blue badge?

This is when it gets dicey, the fine is a breach of contract, enforceable through the civil court, which is expensive and time consuming. This is because under breach of contract, the claimant is obliged to make reasonable adjustments, and Tesco, like many places, may have fools and idiots in their executives and directors as well as their legal team, especially when outsourced, because it is not their money that they are wasting, and the court system, which is public money.

WHY.?

See here for an idiotic example as a civil legal case. It is a perfect example of a dysfunctional executive culture, which is forgetting the fundamental and elementary purpose of enforcement in the first place , which is blue badged place for disabled, and instead went off on a tangent for pettiness or vendetta, which was not displaying, even when the man was clearly eligible to park. To be reasonable using common sense is rare sometimes.

Update October 2013 – Disabled motorist beats parking company in court in blue badge case

In this case reported on PePiPoo, a particularly brave disabled motorist fought back against Excel Parking. In short he was ticketed for not displaying his blue badge, despite being able to show it to the parking attendant when he returned to his vehicle. Excel refused to cancel his ticket, as did POPLA, the ‘independent appeals service’. Excel then took him to court to enforce the ticket, but lost. The judge ruled that since the motorist was registered disabled, the parking company should have made reasonable adjustments. Hopefully others can benefit from this case by showing a) giving others the confidence to stand up for themselves in similar circumstances, and b) cite this in their appeals and court cases.
Edited by: "splender" 11th Feb
lockwoodisbored43 m ago

You don’t know the reason for people using those spaces: a guy at work has …You don’t know the reason for people using those spaces: a guy at work has problems with his bladder and often has to park up to use a shop toilet. If he parks in a disabled bay for one moment, should he be penalise because he doesn’t have the blue badge?

Yeah.
davewave10 m ago

Hmm its not Tesco who should be ashamed but those irresponsible wretches …Hmm its not Tesco who should be ashamed but those irresponsible wretches who park in disabled or parent spaces when they aren't entitled to.

If there are other disabled or child spaces avaliable before and during the time a person has incorrectly parked in one, is this a problem?
davewave21 m ago

Hmm its not Tesco who should be ashamed but those irresponsible wretches …Hmm its not Tesco who should be ashamed but those irresponsible wretches who park in disabled or parent spaces when they aren't entitled to.

Looks possibly too heavy handed straight away, what they need is to get a team of their managers in suits, use their leadership, charisma and executive tools in communication, dressed in elegant and clean, well pressed business attire, to do some public relations and education. Asking poor Tesco assistants at minimum wages, they may not have the air of authority , charm and communication skills.

Enforcement through the civil court and loss of customer trust are expensive against ignorance. People in the main know to be mindful of the disabled.

Both sides need to be to shameful of any possible future wrong doings. See my example above.
Chiptivo1 h, 3 m ago

Does **** me off when I take my son to Tesco and there's no spaces, only to see a perfectly able adult come and get into a car in a parent spot.

Should be charges for such spaces, refunded in store upon proof you're with your kids. Same for disabled spaces, pay to park and refunded in store.
Edited by moderator: "removed swear word" 12th Feb
Drooler21 h, 42 m ago

Does **** me off when I take my son to Tesco and there's no spaces, only …Does **** me off when I take my son to Tesco and there's no spaces, only to see a perfectly able adult come and get into a car in a parent spot.

It's a sad state of affairs when this sort of thing ****** someone off.
Back in my day,I just enjoyed the extra 20 yard walk with my son across the car park.
Chiptivo21 h, 36 m ago

It's a sad state of affairs when this sort of thing ****** someone …It's a sad state of affairs when this sort of thing ****** someone off.Back in my day,I just enjoyed the extra 20 yard walk with my son across the car park.

I have no problem walking a little further with my son, it’s the extra space at the side to get him in and out that is useful. When child spaces aren’t available I’ve had trouble when some idiot parks too close to my car to get him in.
splender20 m ago

Looks possibly too heavy handed straight away, what they need is to get a …Looks possibly too heavy handed straight away, what they need is to get a team of their managers in suits, use their leadership, charisma and executive tools in communication, dressed in elegant and clean, well pressed business attire, to do some public relations and education. Asking poor Tesco assistants at minimum wages, they may not have the air of authority , charm and communication skills.Enforcement through the civil court and loss of customer trust are expensive against ignorance. People in the main know to be mindful of the disabled. Both sides need to be to shameful of any possible future wrong doings. See my example above.

Splendid.
Trevormal7 m ago

I have no problem walking a little further with my son, it’s the extra s …I have no problem walking a little further with my son, it’s the extra space at the side to get him in and out that is useful. When child spaces aren’t available I’ve had trouble when some idiot parks too close to my car to get him in.

Do what I do... Park in the far most furthest place in the car park next to no cars at all.
We chat together as we walk across, he was into cars so we look and talk about them as we enjoy the stroll to the supermarket.All that fresh air as well.
Edited by: "Chiptivo" 11th Feb
Drooler21 h, 44 m ago

Does **** me off when I take my son to Tesco and there's no spaces, only …Does **** me off when I take my son to Tesco and there's no spaces, only to see a perfectly able adult come and get into a car in a parent spot. Should be charges for such spaces, refunded in store upon proof you're with your kids. Same for disabled spaces, pay to park and refunded in store.

How do you cope when all the parent/child spaces are taken up by parents with children? Give up on parking and go home or just use a normal space?
Edited by moderator: "edit" 12th Feb
SJHan1 h, 45 m ago

"excuse me Mr Tesco Trolley Pusher. Are you attempting to take photos of …"excuse me Mr Tesco Trolley Pusher. Are you attempting to take photos of my 5 year old daughter?"

Yes... there's a sign just there and 3 foot disabled sign, are you disabled or not?

You don't have a blue badge?
McShane11 h, 53 m ago

I'd like to see how they're going to prove a child is over the age of 12 …I'd like to see how they're going to prove a child is over the age of 12 when sending out fines.

Depends on the deal of the outsourced contract, to another body corporate, if the contract terms say payment on results and there are performance targets (to make year on year rise in profits from this contract) then this usually happens:-

@ as less and less people park in these bays then the income falls gradually, then the front-line could be asked and incentivised to do better.

Additionally does this extra employment cause an increase in welfare claimants as these are low-paid jobs?! There could be a burden on the welfare state in this enforcement.
SJHan23 m ago

How do you cope when all the parent/child spaces are taken up by parents …How do you cope when all the parent/child spaces are taken up by parents with children? Give up on parking and go home or just use a normal space?

Try and find an end spot. It's about the room to get baby in/out that's the issue.
Looks like Aldi, (Waitrose, my own personal experience) customers are possibly more considerate, hope that the Tesco customers do not come here to shop.

chroniclelive.co.uk/new…149
Personally I wouldn't park in disabled bays in supermarket car parks but then I like to use the parent and child spaces.I mean what's next transgender spaces,miscellaneous weirdo spaces.

Thankfully they cant use these laws in Scotland,just like they cant enforce the TV licencing laws.
Chiptivo33 m ago

Do what I do... Park in the far most furthest place in the car park next …Do what I do... Park in the far most furthest place in the car park next to no cars at all. We chat together as we walk across, he was into cars so we look and talk about them as we enjoy the stroll to the supermarket.All that fresh air as well.

That's what I do, whenever I go to Tesco superstore.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants