Tesco PCN at Gateshead Trinity Dquare

Found 29th May
I have received a PCN from Highview Parking as i was unaware the parking charges had changed recently. we were 7 minutes short of the 4 hrs we though were free and we have received a £70 fine or £42 if you pay under 14 days. We were unaware the 1st 3 hrs are free if you spent £5 as we dont come from this area. Do we have to pay this charge. Also it was on 6th May and only received today 29th May.
Community Updates
AskPC
Top comments
Did you read the signs ? I'm afraid if the signage is clear and visible you have no comeback - forget the urban myth " its just a request to pay " - that went out of the window a few years back . Sadly folk on here will still tell you to ignore it when the law changed years ago .
Edited by: "rogparki" 29th May
17 Comments
It's a speculative invoice, trying to demand payment. Ignore it and file it away. Their just chancing their luck that you cave in and pay...
Did you read the signs ? I'm afraid if the signage is clear and visible you have no comeback - forget the urban myth " its just a request to pay " - that went out of the window a few years back . Sadly folk on here will still tell you to ignore it when the law changed years ago .
Edited by: "rogparki" 29th May
If the charges have changed and the signage is not clear about it, you have grounds for appeal. Go and take photos showing the signs warning you of the changes. If you cant see them, then you have good grounds for an appeal.

When they reject that, as they most surely will, you go to popla.co.uk/
Is within the time limit, so no joy there...

'PCN issued by CCTV under the Traffic Management Act 2008. This PCN must be served by the council no later than 28 days commencing with the date that the alleged contravention took place. If they do not the PCN is invalid and should be appealed - the council may not cancel it and the motorist may need to take the case all the way to the parking adjudicator.'
If you shopped at the tesco ask them to deal with it. Take your receipt to prove you shopped there.

What did you do for 4 hours though!
adhkarzf1 h, 19 m ago

If you shopped at the tesco ask them to deal with it. Take your receipt to …If you shopped at the tesco ask them to deal with it. Take your receipt to prove you shopped there. What did you do for 4 hours though!

Had an eye test, went to the cafe. Bought some new clobber then went to buy a phone! Didn't have enough time to do the food shopping
Ignorance is not a defence unfortunately. Lesson learned
Jay08028614 m ago

Had an eye test, went to the cafe. Bought some new clobber then went to …Had an eye test, went to the cafe. Bought some new clobber then went to buy a phone! Didn't have enough time to do the food shopping

If that was all in tesco then you must have a receipt for the clothing you bought?

Tesco can intervene on your behalf just go to customer services with your pcn and your receipt and ask them if they can deal with it. If they say no ask to speak to a manager as they definitely have the authority to cancel these tickets.

My local Morrisons has cancelled 2 of my parking eye tickets in this way as i had shopped there.
If the signs were not clear and not visible at where you parked then you could appeal against it with a writing ....
benjammin3164 h, 11 m ago

Ignorance is not a defence unfortunately. Lesson learned

I would call the company and tell them you will pay the early repayment option of £42 but have only just received the notice and pay it. Then appeal if you think it is unfair and get a refund.
cmdr_elito1 m ago

I would call the company and tell them you will pay the early repayment …I would call the company and tell them you will pay the early repayment option of £42 but have only just received the notice and pay it. Then appeal if you think it is unfair and get a refund.

No. If they pay, they will not be able to appeal
Merry00017 m ago

No. If they pay, they will not be able to appeal

Well in that case just pay it and learn from their mistake, many people on here act like the parking firms are always the bad guys (sometimes they are) but they are generally following the rules they lay out on the signs in the car park which by parking there you agree to. These are in place to ensure that customers of stores or retail areas have access to parking and to prevent people misusing free or reduced parking for example commuters or people using the free parking to avoid paying for it nearby when they aren’t buying anything in the store, this helps to keep spaces free for customers. When I park somewhere I always check before I walk away what the terms are, I’ve never had a parking fine ever despite working and driving in London for many years where this has been rife for a long time. Sadly most people just do what they want and then complain when they get a charge and make the companies out to be the problem when it is their own stupidity for not reading the notices or not reading them properly that causes the issue.

Most parking companies terms allow a reasonable amount of time 2-3 hours in supermarkets for example and also monitor the site for people that park in a site but then leave it to go elsewhere (where applicable), 4 hours in Tesco sounds too long even with say 45 mins in the cafe and 30-45 mins to sort out a phone contract something is amiss but that could be because I spend only short times in shops to go in get what I need and get out not languishing in the aisles wallowing time away.
FTCom11 h, 22 m ago

It's a speculative invoice, trying to demand payment. Ignore it and file …It's a speculative invoice, trying to demand payment. Ignore it and file it away. Their just chancing their luck that you cave in and pay...

Im sick of people saying this outdated info. It is no longer advised to ignore it. The law changed back in 2012 they can and do take people to court, why would you risk a fine in the hundreds. While yes it is an invoice, it’s fully enforceable and owed by you. Ignorance will not make it go away.

you can appeal it, pay it or ignore it. I’m not sure what grounds you can appeal as you overstayed and the same goes for if it got to court they’d side with the technology.

It’s annoying and feels like it’s unjust, but come on OP realistically £42 is not much to pay when you could be liable for much more if ignored
I had a PCN for overstaying at Iceland in Hillsborough Sheffield last year. Fortunately I had a (minor value) receipt from Iceland for that occasion so I wrote back enclosing a photocopy of the receipt and a cheque for £10 to cover Parking Eye's admin costs. Got a reply a few days later, returning the cheque and cancelling the PCN, saying they had no intention of penalising genuine customers of the shop. Worth mentioning that it was a free car park, about 90% empty at the time, so my letter argued that they had suffered no financial loss etc. Maybe they thought I wasn't a push over and backed off? #shrug
Merry00014 h, 24 m ago

If the signs were not clear and not visible at where you parked then you …If the signs were not clear and not visible at where you parked then you could appeal against it with a writing ....

He went for an eye test! So even if the signs were clear...
gcmarcal6 h, 46 m ago

He went for an eye test! So even if the signs were clear...

The comment from @Jay0802086 (not the OP !) was an attempt at humour /sarcasm - not a comment from the OP . I do wish that many of the commenters would learn to read otherwise they too could fall foul of these enforceable parking notices
Edited by: "rogparki" 30th May
Op must have parked there and walked over the bridge to Newcastle to do a spot of shopping. There is nothing to do for 4 hours in Gateshead.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants