Tesco pricing

Posted 19th Apr
Having noticed for a while now that our local Tesco has removed 99% of offers on items.

they did stop multi buy offers to help with bulk buying, now that restrictions have eased they are still selling 99% of items at full price.

they say there isn't a shortage of supplies.

I've been to a few co-op stores who continue do do offers on certain items, have other supermarkets done the same?

I did notice that items they could not sell as usual due to the current conditions having been heavily discounted, as one person pointed out it's easier for them to sell very cheaply rather than pay the costs of recycling them, i.e flowers and easter eggs and as an example, one store I visited in Glasgow, one isle was given over to easter eggs that had been reduced in price, the social distancing was not being followed, despite staff walking around with large signs stating the 2mtr distance, seems in this case selling them off and for profit was more important.

shame on the Big-wigs at Tesco !! cashing in on the situation.....after things have eased off maybe time to change to another supermarket for my shopping.
Community Updates

Groups

Top comments
Its to stop enticing people to go shopping unnecessarily. Its why there is also no promotions on the TV or anywhere else. Stay at home. Save lives and all that.
Edited by: "Rocknroiia" 19th Apr
"shame on the Big-wigs at Tesco !! cashing in on the situation.....after things have eased off maybe time to change to another supermarket for my shopping"

lol so you're quite happy to shop there at the moment buying the food while you can get it here and maybe not other places. But then want to thank them for all the extra effort they've made to keep stores open and stocked by then going elsewhere?!? Cashing in, lol we all know that big companies like this should be run as a charity how dare they spend millions from their profits to keep deliveries going, shelves stocked and extra cleaning, shifts, measures in place to try and keep us safe.

Hard times
Happy and healthy Sunday to you all
As above its to stop unnecessary shopping and they don’t need to gave offers on anyway to get people shopping. That always happens with Easter eggs nothing new there,

Just an add 99.99% of all supermarket offers aren’t paid for by the supermarkets, it’s all from the manufacturers.
Edited by: "eslick" 19th Apr
14 Comments
Its to stop enticing people to go shopping unnecessarily. Its why there is also no promotions on the TV or anywhere else. Stay at home. Save lives and all that.
Edited by: "Rocknroiia" 19th Apr
As above its to stop unnecessary shopping and they don’t need to gave offers on anyway to get people shopping. That always happens with Easter eggs nothing new there,

Just an add 99.99% of all supermarket offers aren’t paid for by the supermarkets, it’s all from the manufacturers.
Edited by: "eslick" 19th Apr
Go Morrisons, offers/deal is their priority
Oh I bet loads of people wish the worst thing they had to worry about was the absent BOGOF on biscuits at Tesco. Over 800 dead loved ones again yesterday. Just a bit of perspective
God forbid stuff is actually sold at retail price. It's not cashing in, it's business
If only the price of food was the worst of anyone's problems. There are countries that are dealing with this that didn't have enough food to start with, families that didn't have enough money to buy food where it is available. People for who shelter in place means on the street, children being abused relentlessly because theres no respite now the schools are closed, children who are being starved despite their parents having the means to feed them but choosing alcohol or drugs instead. I could go on about the injustice in the world but nowhere in my list would be the fact that there are no offers on in the supermarkets.
I imagine if we took a long hard look at ourselves we would realise how spoilt some of us are, having a choice of what food to eat instead of the same thing day in day out. Being able to wash with something other than river water that is used to cook with too.
Me and my daughter have a goodwill category in our budgets and ask ourselves if we need it before purchasing something or would it be better to put that money in the goodwill budget and do something better with it, which at this point in time is monetary donations to our local food bank.
Edited by: "fattyflumpalump" 19th Apr
"shame on the Big-wigs at Tesco !! cashing in on the situation.....after things have eased off maybe time to change to another supermarket for my shopping"

lol so you're quite happy to shop there at the moment buying the food while you can get it here and maybe not other places. But then want to thank them for all the extra effort they've made to keep stores open and stocked by then going elsewhere?!? Cashing in, lol we all know that big companies like this should be run as a charity how dare they spend millions from their profits to keep deliveries going, shelves stocked and extra cleaning, shifts, measures in place to try and keep us safe.

Hard times
Happy and healthy Sunday to you all
I'm not sure that reinstating multi-buy offers would be a good idea at the moment even if they do have no shortages of supply.

With the distancing rules limiting the numbers of people in the store, and virus contamination issues, you don't want people picking up one product, then swapping it for another when they notice the offer, or wasting time in the store working out whether it is cheaper per gram to buy two small packets for £3 or one bigger one for £2.49 since the shelf labels never show the cost per 100g with the multi-buy discounts taken into account.

Another thing to bare in mind is that supermarkets supposedly still lose money on deliveries, and with the increased demand for them, their costs will have gone up.
Edited by: "melted" 19th Apr
Co-Op still do in store offers as you’ve said but did stop the personalised offers you could select 2 of online to load onto your Co-Op card. Thought at first it may be to prevent staff having to take your card off you to scan as that would be more likely to spread any germs but it was to stop people buying unnecessarily which is fair enough. I’ve been doing my shopping online with Asda, noticed there aren’t as many offers as normal but still some.
one store I visited in Glasgow, one isle was given over to easter eggs that had been reduced in price, the social distancing was not being followed,

Ah yes, let's not blame people for not taking responsibility for their actions.
Ocados the same
Also supermarkets have incurred increased staffing costs, in the form of extra security to police social distancing while people are queueing and restricting entry during NHS/pensioners hours plus extra in-store staff to operate a lot more of the checkouts than they ordinarily would.
I agree and think its sneaky They all want to profit over this pandemic. And they clearly are as we dont have as much choice in picking where to purchase certain things. Can't wait for all this to pass and people can buy what they like, when they like at a price that suits every individual.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions