Tesco refund policy

Posted 17th Feb
Hi,

I bought an electronic toothbrush from Tesco yesterday and I went to customer service to get a refund on it as I changed my mind.

They said no you can't get a refund we can only exchange it as terms and conditions for refunds changed in November 2019.

I was shocked that I couldn't get a refund. It was £50 electronic toothbrush.

I even asked to change it for a cheaper toothbrush that was half price and they said no it has to be £50 or more to be exchanged.

Are they making this up?
Would I be able to get a refund still?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
From Tesco website
tesco.com/hel…cy/

For in-store purchases of ink cartridges and electronic toothbrushes, should you change your mind, please return your item along with your proof of purchase to the store you purchased it from, where you will be offered an exchange.

For online purchases, change of mind returns are allowed up to 14 days after they were delivered to you. After 14 days and up to 30 days after delivery, change of mind returns can only be exchanged with a valid proof of purchase.

For any faulty or damaged products, please see the section "is your item faulty or damaged?" This does not affect your legal rights.
17 Comments
What does it say on the back of the receipt?
From Tesco website
tesco.com/hel…cy/

For in-store purchases of ink cartridges and electronic toothbrushes, should you change your mind, please return your item along with your proof of purchase to the store you purchased it from, where you will be offered an exchange.

For online purchases, change of mind returns are allowed up to 14 days after they were delivered to you. After 14 days and up to 30 days after delivery, change of mind returns can only be exchanged with a valid proof of purchase.

For any faulty or damaged products, please see the section "is your item faulty or damaged?" This does not affect your legal rights.
It’s a policy throughout supermarkets now and is lawful (unless you bought online). Did you try asking for a gift card instead? Not ideal, but at least you could have used it on groceries.
I wonder if it's under the 'hygiene' rules - as some products CANNOT be returned for a refund UNLESS defective. As it's a toothbrush - perhaps? I guess you could try your luck with Tesco H/O and ask the question. Sometimes they will write a letter that you can take to a store to effect a refund. I take it the toothbrush IS still sealed in it's box/packaging?

The only other option I can think of is the naughty one of finding a (cough!) 'fault' on the unit - unless their "new" T's & C's also encompass defective 'hygiene' products? Perhaps have a read on their website, as @nandito has posted. I looked myself so it is as written. It does go on to mention if your item is 'defective' then statutory rights are not affected - i.e. a refund would be applicable.
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 17th Feb
Did you use it or is it still wrapped in original packaging?
Dodge6217/02/2020 14:48

Did you use it or is it still wrapped in original packaging?

It's still sealed in it's original packaging.

I literally bought it yesterday and before even leaving the store I changed my mind about it and wanted a refund.
Biddy217/02/2020 14:26

It’s a policy throughout supermarkets now and is lawful (unless you bought …It’s a policy throughout supermarkets now and is lawful (unless you bought online). Did you try asking for a gift card instead? Not ideal, but at least you could have used it on groceries.

I asked if it was just the store I went to that has this policy or all stores. They looked unsure and told me it's all Tesco stores. But worth asking for a gift card.
Thanks for your paid lesson, though I cannot remember when I last bought something that I didn't want.

Though, I bought tons because of HOTUKDEALS and that which I didn't need.
MYS17/02/2020 14:59

It's still sealed in it's original packaging.I literally bought it …It's still sealed in it's original packaging.I literally bought it yesterday and before even leaving the store I changed my mind about it and wanted a refund.

If it had been opened I could see their point. But if fully resaleable I can't see why they'd have an issue. Try calling central customer services and see if you can get anywhere that way.
MYS17/02/2020 15:04

I asked if it was just the store I went to that has this policy or all …I asked if it was just the store I went to that has this policy or all stores. They looked unsure and told me it's all Tesco stores. But worth asking for a gift card.

It’s definitely all stores. Morrisons has a similar policy now too.

Best to phone the store before going to check they will exchange for a gift card. Saves you any further hassle that way.
just go back to a different employee. avoiding the other.
Dodge6217/02/2020 15:06

If it had been opened I could see their point. But if fully resaleable I …If it had been opened I could see their point. But if fully resaleable I can't see why they'd have an issue. Try calling central customer services and see if you can get anywhere that way.

As stated above, the exact words on the store's terms and policy:-
In general:- Peace of mind when you change yours We’d like you to be happy with everything you purchase from Tesco. Should you change your mind about your purchase, please return the product with your proof of purchase, within 30 days, and we’ll happily offer a replacement or refund.

Please be aware that some products have different return time limits and exceptions when you change your mind. For specific return requirements and for information on how to return a product please refer to the relevant section below.

(Under Online section :
Please be aware that we cannot accept change of mind returns on certain products due to health and hygiene reasons (such as toothbrushes).

(For in store buy) Returning ink cartridges and electronic toothbrushes? For in-store purchases of ink cartridges and electronic toothbrushes, should you change your mind, please return your item along with your proof of purchase to the store you purchased it from, where you will be offered an exchange.
Is it Sonicare? Philips have a 28 day money back guarantee
philips.co.uk/c-w…tml
Edited by: "ellenw" 17th Feb
Didn't know they changed there T&Cs , seems a backward step as most other retailers will offer a refund.
As a compromise would they be willing to give you a Refund via a gift card, i know you have to spend it at Tesco, but not straightaway and most people shop at Tesco sometime or another as they sell virtually everything.
ellenw17/02/2020 15:12

Is it Sonicare? Philips have a 28 day money back guarantee …Is it Sonicare? Philips have a 28 day money back guarantee https://www.philips.co.uk/c-w/promotions/oral-healthcare.html

Yes it was Philips Sonicare toothbrush £50.

Handy to know they offer money back guarantee. But I would have to open it and used it for at least 3 week before filling a form. If I run out of options I'll do this. Thanks
Tesco will offer an exchange only for a similar item, could be a another toothbrush or a beauty item etc. I had similar issue with ink, bought wrong one but lucky I didn’t open it as the item has to be in a resealable condition
open it, break it ,take it back for refund as faulty
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants