Tesco Scan as you Shop. What do you think?

Found 19th Oct 2013
My local Tesco Extra has just implemented this system.....
Community Updates
Misc
42 Comments
Banned
congratulations, thanks for sharing.
Highlight of my day so far !
Original Poster
toshapetriji

congratulations, thanks for sharing.

Yes I'm very proud!
Next week we visit the Basildon branch of Morrisons to check out their new car wash
I used Scan and Shop about 20mins ago. Its the second time I have used it and personally I quite like it.

1. I can monitor how much I am spending on the device
2. I get confirmation on various deals (don't need to check if the deal has been processed at the till) as it comes up on the scanner
3. There is a certain satisfaction walking around with a scanner zapping things

What I don't like about it

1. I have been told as I am a new user I will be subject to random checks, this has happened twice so instead of the process being quicker it takes me the same amount of time. I hope this improves the more I use it
2. There are no carrier bags available at the Scan and Shop tills. Today I learnt that they are at a desk which is on the side. This didn't cause too much issue for me but right behind me was a family with a big trolley full of shopping! They are going to have to empty everything on the desk, sort and bag and put back. If there are two or three families doing this and its going to be quite hectic.
3. Scanners could have more features, like item search or perhaps special offers but I guess that might confuse people

Now here is what I don't understand. Assuming that I will be stopped from being checked soon what is there to stop me from putting an extra item in my basket and not scanning it? Surely they won't check everybody.

What would be cool is that you walk around the supermarket scanning what you want and when your done you goto a big conveyor belt and collect a packed box or bag (a little like Argos). No carrying anything and the staff who would have been on the tills become packers in a warehouse at the back of the shop. They pack your items and you go there (or come back later) to collect it.
ceanth

What would be cool is that you walk around the supermarket scanning what … What would be cool is that you walk around the supermarket scanning what you want and when your done you goto a big conveyor belt and collect a packed box or bag (a little like Argos). No carrying anything and the staff who would have been on the tills become packers in a warehouse at the back of the shop. They pack your items and you go there (or come back later) to collect it.

Or just use click and collect..........
theworkingdead

Or just use click and collect..........

With my idea you would still have a supermarket but with cardboard cut outs of the products on the shelf. I think people enjoy walking around and visually seeing what they are buying. That way Tesco or who ever can use product placement, people would impulse buy etc.

I think its a great idea, perhaps I should write to Tesco about it....
Wish our store had these so i could glitch hunt...
I think its a stupid idea, as it promotes dishonesty/theft, as has been said just because you are honest for your probationary period what stops you forgetting to scan things after this time? But there will be the odd occasion where completely honest people will forget to scan something or your kids throw something in sneakily and what then? Are you asked not to shop there again or do you get arrested?

Its not quicker either, unlike the self scan which personally i like as i scan, the wife bags, the only annoying thing with that is that when you fill the weigh tray and need to move stuff the machine kicks off and tells you to put things back then you need the assistant to come over, but you can also add things to the bag with out the machine reading the weight.

I think its just a gimmick that they tried out years ago in safeways (now morrisons) and stopped as the shops were losing too much money. Either that or its an excuse to put prices up next year.
Same as Safeway used about 10 yrs ago then ditched the idea
ceanth

[quote=theworkingdead] [quote=ceanth] What would be cool is that you … [quote=theworkingdead] [quote=ceanth] What would be cool is that you walk around the supermarket scanning what you want and when your done you goto a big conveyor belt and collect a packed box or bag (a little like Argos). No carrying anything and the staff who would have been on the tills become packers in a warehouse at the back of the shop. They pack your items and you go there (or come bh my idea you would still have a supermarket but with cardboard cut outs of the products on the shelf. I think people enjoy walking around and visually seeing what they are buying. That way Tesco or who ever can use product placement, people would impulse buy etc.I think its a great idea, perhaps I should write to Tesco about it....

POO
ceanth

I think people enjoy walking around and visually seeing what they are … I think people enjoy walking around and visually seeing what they are buying.

LOL.

I detest going supermarkets, I always do my bulk of shopping via delivery.
jase.2

Same as Safeway used about 10 yrs ago then ditched the idea

Was just about to say the same.
mclovin9091

I think its a stupid idea, as it promotes dishonesty/theft, as has been … I think its a stupid idea, as it promotes dishonesty/theft, as has been said just because you are honest for your probationary period what stops you forgetting to scan things after this time? But there will be the odd occasion where completely honest people will forget to scan something or your kids throw something in sneakily and what then? Are you asked not to shop there again or do you get arrested?Its not quicker either, unlike the self scan which personally i like as i scan, the wife bags, the only annoying thing with that is that when you fill the weigh tray and need to move stuff the machine kicks off and tells you to put things back then you need the assistant to come over, but you can also add things to the bag with out the machine reading the weight. I think its just a gimmick that they tried out years ago in safeways (now morrisons) and stopped as the shops were losing too much money. Either that or its an excuse to put prices up next year.

It checks the first 3 shops and then it's random after that so you could be checked anytime, if you were caught with unscanned items it would then check you more often and if it happened regularly you would have scan and shop privileges removed.
Great idea
deleted57959

They should let you go round scan everything you want, then you go sit … They should let you go round scan everything you want, then you go sit down and have a coffee while they pack it and you pay they load your car, or deliver it for a small charge.Iceland are good for that free delivery too, just I don't like shopping where Katona does!

Isnt Iceland a bit expensive for her these days lol
safeway didnt ditch it they went belly up and morrisons was formed the abc card died as well. While we are at it. Facetime is just video calls that phones could do 13years ago everything is just a rip off of the past
What they want is a little device that fits on the trolley so they can do this, then the trolley goes on a weighing scale at the end where you pay.
I don't understand the benefits to either the Supermarket or the customer. Supermarkets have to invest in the technology and manpower to monitor the system (and be prepared to lose stock as a result of incorrect scanning/theft) and consumers would surely be better off using the self service tills rather than waiting for purchases to be packed? And if you can't be bothered scanning and packing instore you can order your shopping online?
We've had scan as you shop for maybe a year now. I like it as I can check misprices there and then. Also it's easy to see if tesco are trying to rip us off by charging more than the sel.
had it about a year here, not many people use it ,not tried myself either as you have to pack as you go
Original Poster
It was a bit chaotic in mine today as now nearly half of the original checkouts are either the old self service or the new scan as you shop, which no one was using, so there was long queues.
Idea looks interesting but will have to wait and see if/when it eventually comes to my local Tesco extra.
At least Tesco self-scan tills (and Sainsbury and Asda) are a lot better than the Morrison self scan tills Tiny, crushed in and seem to error a lot more than the other 3. Talking to M's staff they absolutely hate them.

Australians have a good idea (in Coles at least) where you can actually take a filled bag off the scales and put it back in your trolley or on floor if they are getting a bit full, you just need to push a button to let the till know.
There will only be a few supervisors,shelf fillers and security guards at this rate if more peoples jobs are taken with self scanning etc.

Give it a few years and youll be able to get a scanner fitted to your forehead so u can scan and shop and if u make a mistake your head will explode in the car park.

"Give it a few years and youll be able to get a scanner fitted to your forehead so u can scan and shop and if u make a mistake your head will explode in the car park"

We already have this in my Tesco. There are a few extra jobs for people to clean the car park.
Checkout assistants get paid to serve you so I will continue to use staffed tills until this and self scan take over and we have no choice!
+1 can't stand them utterly pointless
Had no chose in sainburys in the summer just a waste of money
Sad that it will inevitably take jobs from people but it will be so convenient, progress always has its pros and cons. I was quick to use, and a big fan of the self service checkouts. I really look forward to this technology. I mainly do my shop online but for those little bits I need day to day I want to be in and out of the supermarket as quick as possible, life is short and shopping is a bad way to waste it. And just for the record, people who don't use pay at the pump should be sent to an island. Bring on robotic refuelling.
Edited by: "spaceinvader" 20th Oct 2013
Ah but will u be saying that when your jobs replaced with a machine and your pensions disappeared up some bankster`s backside ?
spaceinvader

Sad that it will inevitably take jobs from people but it will be so … Sad that it will inevitably take jobs from people but it will be so convenient, progress always has its pros and cons. I was quick to use, and a big fan of the self service checkouts. I really look forward to this technology. I mainly do my shop online but for those little bits I need day to day I want to be in and out of the supermarket as quick as possible, life is short and shopping is a bad way to waste it. And just for the record, people who don't use pay at the pump should be sent to an island. Bring on robotic refuelling.

Where is this " island "? I will soon be going there.

This is all down to Tesco greed, I hope they come unstuck with it.
really good idea except for the following foreseable problems:

1. i often change my mind during shopping and put stuff back - is it easy to unscan items without asking for assistance?

2. i often leave my basket or trolley lying around in the shop while i go and collect items as i can't be bothered to push the trolley around. people may steal stuff from my trolley and i end up paying for goods that i have not purchased.

i would always have to keep an eye on my shopping as i shop in case someone nicks stuff out of it.
spaceinvader

And just for the record, people who don't use pay at the pump should be … And just for the record, people who don't use pay at the pump should be sent to an island. Bring on robotic refuelling.

I fill up at Tesco, first because it's closest, and second, because I work there lol.

My Privilege Card is rarely recognized via pay at pump so I pay at kiosk to get my points.
Other than that, I see your point if you are paying by card anyway. Cash is a different matter though.
mutley1

really good idea except for the following foreseable problems:1. i often … really good idea except for the following foreseable problems:1. i often change my mind during shopping and put stuff back - is it easy to unscan items without asking for assistance?2. i often leave my basket or trolley lying around in the shop while i go and collect items as i can't be bothered to push the trolley around. people may steal stuff from my trolley and i end up paying for goods that i have not purchased.i would always have to keep an eye on my shopping as i shop in case someone nicks stuff out of it.

IMHO it is an all round bad idea.
If you want to minimize the time spent in a supermarket, use the click and collect or delivery options.

It has its advantages, but it is semi redundant and weighed out by its inevitable cons.

Got so used to ordering online now that the thought of driving to my local extra (more choice) and spending 2 hours shopping, packing and driving really puts me off. Especially when the cost of fuel is in the same region as a cheap delivery slot.

Nowadays I just sit on my **** playing GTA 5 until the Tesco man knocks on my door, spend 20 mins putting it away and back to GTA.
I worked in a cash and carry warehouse where we would pick,scan and place on conveyor belts and the computer would place the items down a chute to the correct order trolley. We didn't have to carry anything.
Banned
mutley1

really good idea except for the following foreseable problems:1. i often … really good idea except for the following foreseable problems:1. i often change my mind during shopping and put stuff back - is it easy to unscan items without asking for assistance?2. i often leave my basket or trolley lying around in the shop while i go and collect items as i can't be bothered to push the trolley around. people may steal stuff from my trolley and i end up paying for goods that i have not purchased.i would always have to keep an eye on my shopping as i shop in case someone nicks stuff out of it.

or what about people putting items in then you get done for shoplifting lol...

simple don't be lazy and push your trolley....
mutley1

Why would people nick stuff out of your trolley, when they can just get it from the shelves? I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I just don't get the mentality of the people that do it!

Anyway... I don't work at Tesco, so refuse to scan my own shopping!
love it

use it and have been subjected to lots of checks (scanner is racist) but still worth it.
Sainsburys have an App which you can download on iOS and Android, which lets you scan your shopping on your smartphone. It's on trial in London now.......keep up Tesco!
ianshona

Sainsburys have an App which you can download on iOS and Android, which … Sainsburys have an App which you can download on iOS and Android, which lets you scan your shopping on your smartphone. It's on trial in London now.......keep up Tesco!

I find it quite hard to believe that using your phone to scan would be quicker/easier than using a dedicated hand scanner.

As for the Tesco scanning, I use it all the time, so much quicker. I'm sure someone questioned how it's quicker when you have to wait for people to pack their items when paying. You don't, the point is to take bags when you start and pack as you scan. So much quicker. Then just pay and walk off, will never go back to tills if I can help it.

As for random checks, I had quite a few to start with but probably only 1 in the last 4 months or so.

As for the benefit to the supermarket, I guess they know there's going to be the odd occasion where someone forgets to scan an item, but this is probably offset by the cost saving by having less staff.

And as pointed out the benefit of using the system is speed, seeing the cost as you go and finding deals that aren't marked on the product. The scanner often comes up with 3 for 2 deals that aren't marked on the shelf. And there's often miss prices as you go, you know there and then so grab a few extra....

miikeyblue

Why would people nick stuff out of your trolley, when they can just get … Why would people nick stuff out of your trolley, when they can just get it from the shelves? I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I just don't get the mentality of the people that do it!Anyway... I don't work at Tesco, so refuse to scan my own shopping!

good point. i guess the toddlers may take something out of it if they saw a lonely trolley.
i think the idea is good if you can easily cancel items and put it back.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants