Tesco slots going to flat price from August

Posted 10th Jul
Won't be appreciated by those who aim for the £2/£3 evening slots I imagine

3503066-qQUBt.jpg3503066-lZW2G.jpg
Community Updates

Groups

Top comments
How can people complain at £4.50 delivery?

They’re picking, packing and delivering. I can’t imagine they make much profit on it. You’re also saving over an hour of your life and reducing the chances of COVID.
Ouch.

I hope other supermarkets don’t follow suit.

Asda are fab and as I’m shielding they gave me a free delivery pass until October and a weekly delivery slot. I’d never shopped at Asda before lockdown but will be keeping the deliveries going once shielding is over.

I used to be a Tesco girl but now 100% Asda!!
54 Comments
£4.50, eurgh no thanks
Will free up the demand though haha.

shame that the people who need it most are old and on there small pensions, nice one!
Meh.
What. £4.50 what ever time it is. It’s bad you have to spend £40 before even getting a delivery,
I usually opt for flexi slot to get cheaper price too. I struggled to even get a shop during the pandemic and I’m disabled and house bound for 15 years and doctors would not help me either.
Time to change supermarkets, they must of made billions over the pandemic, greedy companies wanting more
How can people complain at £4.50 delivery?

They’re picking, packing and delivering. I can’t imagine they make much profit on it. You’re also saving over an hour of your life and reducing the chances of COVID.
fearona10/07/2020 11:38

Comment deleted

Just used my club card points on it the other week too which is 3x the amount of points towards it. £14 Clubcard vouchers covered 6 months. Seems best use for them now
Vencurse10/07/2020 11:39

How can people complain at £4.50 delivery?They’re picking, packing and de …How can people complain at £4.50 delivery?They’re picking, packing and delivering. I can’t imagine they make much profit on it. You’re also saving over an hour of your life and reducing the chances of COVID.

I think people will more have the issue of the prices rising to that than that they are that. Just wonder if the other supermarkets will follow suit now
Don't think we've ever had a slot that cost less than £4 anyway, especially for the last few months. Makes sense to keep them all around the same, even evening ones.

Assume this also means they won't be any higher either, no £6 or £7s, so mornings could be cheaper?
gosh! i have never paid more than £1.50 for delivery. i might as well book uber to pick the shopping. normally about £3
Ouch.

I hope other supermarkets don’t follow suit.

Asda are fab and as I’m shielding they gave me a free delivery pass until October and a weekly delivery slot. I’d never shopped at Asda before lockdown but will be keeping the deliveries going once shielding is over.

I used to be a Tesco girl but now 100% Asda!!
My local iceland have been great during the pandemic ive also had a few deliveries from tesco but delivery was £7 it was for a birthday party and i needed a cake otherwise o prob wouldnt of
redmouse210/07/2020 12:02

gosh! i have never paid more than £1.50 for delivery. i might as well book …gosh! i have never paid more than £1.50 for delivery. i might as well book uber to pick the shopping. normally about £3

A half hour shop for the Uber driver and you’re paying them less than minimum wage. Makes no sense if they charge that.
fearona10/07/2020 12:49

Comment deleted

Probably the tax payer. Some people on here expect money for nothing so I can only guess they don’t work.
yup, love being furloughed. never bought so many shops from tesco before and the rest dabbling on the stock market. just waiting for the £500 stimulus cheque
donny126610/07/2020 12:50

Probably the tax payer. Some people on here expect money for nothing so I …Probably the tax payer. Some people on here expect money for nothing so I can only guess they don’t work.

How can people complain at £4.50 delivery?They’re picking, packing and de …How can people complain at £4.50 delivery?They’re picking, packing and delivering. I can’t imagine they make much profit on it. You’re also saving over an hour of your life and reducing the chances of COVID.

Although i agree with your sentiment, click and collect is free and theyve already picked and packed it and taken it to the outside van or wherever, thus the £4.50 is still just for delivery.
fearona10/07/2020 12:34

Comment deleted

I think it’s £40 min for the free delivery.

For me it would add over 10% to the weekly shop and as I’m shielding I have no option but to have delivery.

£4.50 x 52 = £234. Yes, you can get a delivery saver but then you’re tied into using Tesco.

If I ever got a Tesco order I used to get the rubbish late night slots that were cheap to save money. I don’t like the late night deliveries but a £1 delivery Vs £4.50 is a big jump.

Don’t get me wrong, I understand why Tesco need to have a delivery charge; employee time, petrol and vehicle maintenance doesn’t come free, but personally I will miss the cheap slots and know many others will too.

Actually that’s probably why the change is from August as shielding ends in August.
fearona10/07/2020 13:15

Comment deleted

Oh that’s worth knowing as I’ve always bumped it up to £40 on weeks I didn’t have enough to get to £40 with regular shopping. Thanks.

£40 weekly spend for 3 adults and we eat really well.
Yikes. Who asked for this?

Not sure how it makes things fair and gives you access to more slots either.

The 'best' slots were priced the highest because they had the most demand. Those slots go quick even at the premium price so why would they now suddenly be available because they're cheaper and all the 'rubbish' slots are more expensive?

I think this is less about 'being fair' and more about pushing people onto the delivery pass product now that people have a taste for online shopping.

Tesco boasts that it has been able to run online delivery at a profit in the last couple of years and called - something other supermarkets haven't managed to do so seems an odd move.
£3.60 per month on subscription, free delivery Tue-Thu and free c&c all week. if don't use, then get your money back.
fearona10/07/2020 14:00

Comment deleted

What's the betting they'll up those prices before they unfreeze it
Bye bye Tesco Delivery. Double what I usually pay.
dorey6910/07/2020 11:36

Time to change supermarkets, they must of made billions over the pandemic, …Time to change supermarkets, they must of made billions over the pandemic, greedy companies wanting more

Likey any increase in profit will be down to greedy panic/bulk buyers, Tesco are not exactly getting staff to push customers into the shop and up to the till, for the most part people have a choice where they shop and if they choose a cheaper supermarket that doesn't then mean that they are not making billions either.

I personally think very few seem able to adjust and adapt and just bemoan the fact that things have changed. Imagine you live in a country with very little food, let alone money, then add covid onto existing health crises and possibly war. I'm not having a dig at you it's just I feel we need to put thing into perspective when getting upset about £4/5 increase in something when some people in the world are starving/dying.

Some sobering reading news.sky.com/sto…917
I can’t afford to get deliveries every week, lucky if it’s once a month and haven’t got £42 subs either.
fearona10/07/2020 14:58

Comment deleted

Your welcome. I've been using Tesco during the lockdown, I don't normally shop there but until Aldi/Lidl do home deliveries (fat chance), it will have to be Asda/Sainsburys and Iceland now.
If Sainsburys can do 50p delivery from 13 miles away, can't really comprehend why Tesco needs £4.50 which comes from 3 miles away.
splatsplatsplat10/07/2020 19:12

Your welcome. I've been using Tesco during the lockdown, I don't normally …Your welcome. I've been using Tesco during the lockdown, I don't normally shop there but until Aldi/Lidl do home deliveries (fat chance), it will have to be Asda/Sainsburys and Iceland now.If Sainsburys can do 50p delivery from 13 miles away, can't really comprehend why Tesco needs £4.50 which comes from 3 miles away.

Some supermarkets are starting to bring back their plans.

I doubt Tesco is far off, especially if they can do it on a regional basis as I'm sure that some areas have more slots going spare than others.

Morrisions on this area is basically pick-a-slot-any-slot.
Annoying but it’s clever. It’s not far off the delivery saver per month, so you kind of think “why not sign up?” Delivery saver is worth every penny for me.
Thought Tesco were planning a price war?
Won't really effect me as I have Delivery saver already, and I can understand the annoyance of those who used to get the cheap slots.

I assume the costs to Tesco are the same regardless of the time of the delivery (fuel, and wages remain the same), so why shouldn't they charge the same for all slots?
interesting.... just tried to purchase a delivery saver plan. got a error as they have stopped taking new delivery saver customers. got a feeling delivery saver rates are about to increase
Not paying 4.50 for del when other supermarkets deliver for free.
I just use the tesco clubcard points to purchase my annual delivery saver. Works out I get zero delivery charges Tues - Thurs for the year if I spend £40 per week on groceries. Can't complain about that.
fearona11/07/2020 13:21

Comment deleted

No complaints there delivery saver has been well worth it for me as I booked deliveries for my nan too through lockdown. Plenty available slots constantly now
My delivery saver has been stuck on £36 for a year for 3 years now so only need £12 in clubcard vouchers so 52 deliveries works out at 24p per delivery

Just renewed until September 20th 2021
Edited by: "chocci" 14th Jul
Seems clear this has nothing to do with being fair and is a means of them profiteering from the coronavirus pandemic... Just had a look and flexi saver slots are now showing for 3 August...what used to be £1-£2 have turned into £3. Have their costs really increased 100-200%? The only people this is fair to are the Tesco shareholders. Every little helps, eh Tesco?
deleted1640536
After months of Tesco deliveries, it looks like it's time to move elsewhere.

£4.50, NOT A CHANCE!!!!!!
welcomedistraction14/07/2020 20:47

Seems clear this has nothing to do with being fair and is a means of them …Seems clear this has nothing to do with being fair and is a means of them profiteering from the coronavirus pandemic... Just had a look and flexi saver slots are now showing for 3 August...what used to be £1-£2 have turned into £3. Have their costs really increased 100-200%? The only people this is fair to are the Tesco shareholders. Every little helps, eh Tesco?

So lets do some maths. Tesco pay staff £8.42/Hr or £9.10 inside the M25 according to various sources
If we ignore additional employers payroll costs such as NI, PAYE, pension etc .
For sake of argument let us also ignore the operating costs of a delivery service such as vehicles, fuel, insurance and replacing the blue plastic boxes people dont hand back.
Let us also ignore employer cost rises due to COVID such as staff PPE, additional vehicle cleaning and changed working practices.

If we ignore all those other costs for a £4.50 fee you are getting about 30mins worth of staff time. Can you Pick, pack and deliver your shopping in 30mins? If so set up a home delivery business.

My point is that home delivery has always been a loss leading activity to capture sales like loyalty cards. Free or low cost deliveries were a good selling point not a money spinner. There is no way the marginal contribution of service users has covered the cost. Now COVID has changed the dynamic and Tesco is having to increase the service so why shouldnt they expect the users of the service to pay for it?

The other way of looking at it is all those people traipsing around the aisles have been subsidising those who stay at home and order online since the service started. Where was the outrage for that?
deleted1640536
toad67915/07/2020 13:42

So lets do some maths. Tesco pay staff £8.42/Hr or £9.10 inside the M25 a …So lets do some maths. Tesco pay staff £8.42/Hr or £9.10 inside the M25 according to various sourcesIf we ignore additional employers payroll costs such as NI, PAYE, pension etc . For sake of argument let us also ignore the operating costs of a delivery service such as vehicles, fuel, insurance and replacing the blue plastic boxes people dont hand back. Let us also ignore employer cost rises due to COVID such as staff PPE, additional vehicle cleaning and changed working practices.If we ignore all those other costs for a £4.50 fee you are getting about 30mins worth of staff time. Can you Pick, pack and deliver your shopping in 30mins? If so set up a home delivery business. My point is that home delivery has always been a loss leading activity to capture sales like loyalty cards. Free or low cost deliveries were a good selling point not a money spinner. There is no way the marginal contribution of service users has covered the cost. Now COVID has changed the dynamic and Tesco is having to increase the service so why shouldnt they expect the users of the service to pay for it? The other way of looking at it is all those people traipsing around the aisles have been subsidising those who stay at home and order online since the service started. Where was the outrage for that?

Do you have shares in Tesco or something, anyway you can look at it however you want...

I couldn’t care less what overheads Tesco have, that is not my problem as the customer.

What will be a problem is me (and others) now taking our weekly shop elsewhere, money talks!

No thanks Tesco, just booked my usual spot for a £1 elsewhere. 🏼
deleted164053615/07/2020 13:51

Do you have shares in Tesco or something, anyway you can look at it …Do you have shares in Tesco or something, anyway you can look at it however you want...I couldn’t care less what overheads Tesco have, that is not my problem as the customer. What will be a problem is me (and others) now taking our weekly shop elsewhere, money talks! No thanks Tesco, just booked my usual spot for a £1 elsewhere. 🏼

I rest my case . You have just demonstrated that the cost of winning your custom is ......£3.50!!
It doesn't matter that the cost of your basket of goods may be higher, of lesser quality or they have gouged their suppliers down to supplying below cost; as long as delivery is £3.50 cheaper you are in. Hook line and sinker

You are a marketing dream.

Far cheaper than an advertising campaign. More importantly the retailers now know exactly what your tolerance to cost change is. Will you go back if they offer free delivery for returning customers or some discount vouchers on things you buy regularly??

Few other bubbles I will burst for you
The second one in a BOGOF isnt really free it just makes you buy more
It isnt a fluke when they give you coupons for things you buy at checkout
A loyalty card is there to harvest your data not as a token of good will
Supermarket overheads arent picked up by the shareholder but the customer
Home delivery doesnt cost a £1.........

And no I dont have shares in Tesco or any other supermarket.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants