Tesco taking payments from accounts months after spend

Found 14th Feb
Just spotted this on Sky News and thought it worth sharing, if not just for you to check your accounts if you shop at Tesco Express. I mean I suppose their well within their rights to take it, it's just a heads up incase it results in accounts going minus...leading to charges.

Apparently a few months back (apologies if old news) they had systems glitching in over 300 of their Express stores and are now taking the owed payments for shopping.

2894197-pPtmh.jpg
Tesco's chief customer officer, Alessandra Bellini, is writing to affected customers to explain the error and say "sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused".

The letter says: "We are writing to let you know that a number of credit and debit card payments did not process correctly for some customers, in a small number of our Express stores.

"You may have noticed this as an unexpected transaction at Tesco in your bank statement.

"You were accidentally not charged on a recent visit and this is a delayed payment. Rest assured, you will not have paid twice. You can view all transactions affected below."

[Source: Sky News]
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Keep an eye on your bank ac and there's no problem. One wonders if the people who, quote, "I run a tight budget" noticed there was "too much money" in their account and simply thought "yay, got that lot for free" and then spent what wasn't theirs!
Tesco Express, so its not likely to be large amounts is it?

"Oh no £5.73 has come out unexpectedly .. I can't afford my mortgage!!"

Where is Martin Lewis when you need him.
It's not "lucky" at all, I just don't like wasting my money on...

Alchohol
Fags
Drugs
Mobile Phone Contracts
Coffee Shops
Takeaway Pizzas
Tattoos
Lottery
Betting
Car Lease
Stupid Door Bells + Subscription
Jewelry
"Fashionable" Branded Clothing
Any Apple Products
Netflix/Amazon/Now TV/Sky Subscriptions
Football rubbish

I expect I've angered 95% of the population and await someone calling me a Monk..
Edited by moderator: "trimmed link" 14th Feb
artnada51 m ago

Keep an eye on your bank ac and there's no problem. One wonders if the …Keep an eye on your bank ac and there's no problem. One wonders if the people who, quote, "I run a tight budget" noticed there was "too much money" in their account and simply thought "yay, got that lot for free" and then spent what wasn't theirs!

Maybe if Tesco had done the same they wouldn't be in this situation.
28 Comments
Nice one for the heads up buzz, I can understand a week or so delay due to the glitch but months is an inconvenience
Keep an eye on your bank ac and there's no problem. One wonders if the people who, quote, "I run a tight budget" noticed there was "too much money" in their account and simply thought "yay, got that lot for free" and then spent what wasn't theirs!
Tesco Express, so its not likely to be large amounts is it?

"Oh no £5.73 has come out unexpectedly .. I can't afford my mortgage!!"

Where is Martin Lewis when you need him.
splatsplatsplat31 m ago

Tesco Express, so its not likely to be large amounts is it? "Oh no £5.73 …Tesco Express, so its not likely to be large amounts is it? "Oh no £5.73 has come out unexpectedly .. I can't afford my mortgage!!"Where is Martin Lewis when you need him.

sadly not everyone has money in their accounts and even a few quid can take them overdrawn which then results in fees. you might be lucky but not everyone is.

MSE were already on to this yesterday, though some of the quotes are incredible and play right into your original comment

moneysavingexpert.com/new…ing
Edited by: "eslick" 14th Feb
artnada51 m ago

Keep an eye on your bank ac and there's no problem. One wonders if the …Keep an eye on your bank ac and there's no problem. One wonders if the people who, quote, "I run a tight budget" noticed there was "too much money" in their account and simply thought "yay, got that lot for free" and then spent what wasn't theirs!

Maybe if Tesco had done the same they wouldn't be in this situation.
splatsplatsplat46 m ago

Tesco Express, so its not likely to be large amounts is it? "Oh no £5.73 …Tesco Express, so its not likely to be large amounts is it? "Oh no £5.73 has come out unexpectedly .. I can't afford my mortgage!!"Where is Martin Lewis when you need him.

Depends - couple of bottles of bubbly, Couple of tins of baby milk and a bunch of luxury flowers will easily push over £50.
Plus - Some tesco express stores are within petrol stations - meaning there could be the cost of a full tank of fuel to come out.
It's not "lucky" at all, I just don't like wasting my money on...

Alchohol
Fags
Drugs
Mobile Phone Contracts
Coffee Shops
Takeaway Pizzas
Tattoos
Lottery
Betting
Car Lease
Stupid Door Bells + Subscription
Jewelry
"Fashionable" Branded Clothing
Any Apple Products
Netflix/Amazon/Now TV/Sky Subscriptions
Football rubbish

I expect I've angered 95% of the population and await someone calling me a Monk..
Edited by moderator: "trimmed link" 14th Feb
splatsplatsplat4 m ago

It's not "lucky" at all, I just don't like wasting my money …It's not "lucky" at all, I just don't like wasting my money on...AlchoholFagsDrugsMobile Phone ContractsCoffee ShopsTakeaway PizzasTattoosLotteryBettingCar LeaseStupid Door Bells + SubscriptionJewelry"Fashionable" Branded ClothingAny Apple ProductsNetflix/Amazon/Now TV/Sky SubscriptionsFootball rubbishI expect I've angered 95% of the population and await someone calling me a Monk..

Thanks for sharing. 😋
splatsplatsplat22 m ago

It's not "lucky" at all, I just don't like wasting my money …It's not "lucky" at all, I just don't like wasting my money on...AlchoholFagsDrugsMobile Phone ContractsCoffee ShopsTakeaway PizzasTattoosLotteryBettingCar LeaseStupid Door Bells + SubscriptionJewelry"Fashionable" Branded ClothingAny Apple ProductsNetflix/Amazon/Now TV/Sky SubscriptionsFootball rubbishI expect I've angered 95% of the population and await someone calling me a Monk..

you must be fun at parties.
splatsplatsplat36 m ago

33260155-gld7z.jpg
splatsplatsplat38 m ago

Good alcohol is not wasted money. Some branded clothing is the very best money can buy and it lasts without losing quality. It all helps one to remain comfortably aloof. Otherwise agreed.

Ignore the chattering wastrels but let's never deny that it is their right to widdle their hard borrowed credit up the wall on disposable sh!te. They worship St Jeremy with his promises that what they want is rightfully theirs and that only He can give it to them.
Yes. I've been charged 4 pounds for shopping from 7th of January couple days ago.
didsburydan47 m ago

you must be fun at parties.

Wouldn't know, I don't like them! Ha.
An awful lot of people spend what they have, so if they see money in their account that they were not expecting, they will spend it. Tesco should be contacting those affected and arranging a payment plan.
splatsplatsplat1 h, 17 m ago

You sound like the kind of person I end up sitting next to on planes.
eslick2 h, 18 m ago

sadly not everyone has money in their accounts and even a few quid can …sadly not everyone has money in their accounts and even a few quid can take them overdrawn which then results in fees. you might be lucky but not everyone is.MSE were already on to this yesterday, though some of the quotes are incredible and play right into your original comment :)https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/shopping/2018/02/tesco-takes-payments-from-customers-cards-months-after-they-went-shopping

People like this should not have debit cards.
splatsplatsplat2 h, 0 m ago

I totally agree with you.
The only things I have on that list that I use is
Coffee Shops, although with free £3 costa gift cards
Netflix, alleged dodgy account that costs me £12 a year
All the others I avoid which makes me clever and intelligent, not lucky.

Always a little reserve to dip into when I need to.
Pay cash.
splatsplatsplat1 h, 46 m ago

Wouldn't know, I don't like them! Ha.

My bet is that the only thing you like is trolling on the internet
Was worried that we were all going to be hit for those £45 Xbox One bundles that loads of people purchased a few months back!
Some of the comments in regards to the money in accs situation.. brings me back to a chap at my work who settled his account with a cheque (a regular customer, might I add) - [we also no longer accept cheque, might I add] - The cheque had fallen in to some paperwork kept in our safe and had been missed from banking for maybe 3 months..
Anyway, eventually the cheque bounced and he is now slowly paying off the account bit by bit, but it makes me laugh how someone knows a sum (especially this one of roughly £2000) is in their account for a certain reason, then they just think, oh well it's been a while, I'll blow the lot.

I suppose in this case, as it's just a Tesco express, the amounts won't be too large, although it could have been easily missed, I don't check my account all the time, I flick through every couple of weeks to check my payments etc, I'd be worried if a random Tesco Express bill turned up,especially if it wasn't my local. xD
Saying that, I would have used one in the last 3 months.. could be me......... but now I know.. thanks op
Edited by: "bingebunny" 14th Feb
splatsplatsplat3 h, 41 m ago

aye but what's your guilty pleasure, what do you actually waste your money on.
can't take it to your grave mate, yolo n all that
This happened to me a few days ago, had no idea why it had happened since it wasn't in the news. Bank said Tesco took payment for something from the 12 of January. At least I know what's going on now. I'm more annoyed that they just decided to take money without notification. They're sending out letters apparently now but they must of known about this for a while since it dates back to November 2017...
bingebunny51 m ago

aye but what's your guilty pleasure, what do you actually waste your money …aye but what's your guilty pleasure, what do you actually waste your money on.can't take it to your grave mate, yolo n all that

Plenty, this site helps & hinders my spending. Tools, a gadget or two, hiking shoes, fishing equipment, a sub £10 Bluray, the occasional sub £20 game, a small Chinese 5/6 times a year, an Indian if I really want to waste money. I wouldn't mind buying a boat one day but kids needs come before my wants. I'm due for a new laptop soon but will wait for a good deal on here or (misprice).

Like Chiptivo says, everyone should have a bit of money in reserve regardless of income. I wouldn't say have 6months income spare like "they" suggest but at least a couple hundred. I've been homeless twice in my life and now I'm overpaying the mortgage so it will end 10yrs early. I was unemployed for 3 years so I know what it is like but I've never missed a bill and never struggled.
splatsplatsplat5 h, 18 m ago

You do like Cock Soup though

hotukdeals.com/dea…334
Nothing like a bit of cock soup to dunk your pork balls in.
splatsplatsplat21 h, 55 m ago

I wouldn't say have 6months income spare like "they" suggest but at least …I wouldn't say have 6months income spare like "they" suggest but at least a couple hundred.

The article you've quoted says to keep 6 months worth of bills spare, not 6 months whole income. That's quite a difference.
This happened to me with Clarks shoe shop last year. Took the payment 3 months later and blamed it on a glitch at the store. I wasn’t happy as I rely on stuff coming out when I pay to keep track of money! I was told legally they can take payment up to something like 4 or 6 years later I think it was but not sure
Its their fault and they should accept it as such ,when as a consumer you guy something with a card it is normally taken off straight away and thats the way it is ,imagine if this was a year later , 5 years later ,no receipt etc . Their glitch and they are responsible end of but then we are talking about Tescos with the most depressed workforce !
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants