Tesco to reimburse THOUSANDS of underpaid employees (current and former) after payroll blunder

Editor 15 replies
Found 10th Mar
Last month, HMRC named over 300 businesses who had failed to pay the statutory minimum wage including Tesco, Debenhams, Subway and Lloyds Pharmacy....

Tesco is due to pay back a total of almost £10m to around 140,000 current and former workers. It seems that after deductions for pensions, childcare, cycle to work schemes, some staff were being paid less than the National Living Wage.

So, good news for Tesco staff, you could be due a little windfall and this will be paid back by the end of March!! Don't get overly excited though, it's likely to work work out at about £40 on average (although some could get a lot more!)

Quote below taken from BBC

Matt Davies, chief executive of Tesco UK and Ireland, said:

As soon as our own review identified this issue we took immediate action to resolve it and establish which colleagues are affected.
We've apologised to our colleagues and our priority now is to talk to them about how this affects them individually, and make any necessary payments.

New source BBC

15 Comments

Payroll blunder I am sure...

Matty8787

Payroll blunder I am sure...

Yeah funny how payroll never overpays thousands of people for years innit

"As soon as our own review identified this issue we took immediate action to resolve it and establish which colleagues are affected. We've apologised to our colleagues and our priority now is to talk to them about how this affects them individually, and make any necessary payments."
one asks in street language that everyone understands:-
How come the HMRC bean counters who are paid less in wages and spent less time than the Tesco bean counters, found the issue?!

splender

"As soon as our own review identified this issue we took immediate action … "As soon as our own review identified this issue we took immediate action to resolve it and establish which colleagues are affected. We've apologised to our colleagues and our priority now is to talk to them about how this affects them individually, and make any necessary payments."one asks in street language that everyone understands:-How come the HMRC bean counters who are paid less in wages and spent less time than the Tesco bean counters, found the issue?!

Think tesco accountants have been too busy overstating how much profit they have made over the years.

£40 is a lot if you haven't got it or youre struggling

It's shameful actions by companies paying minimum wage to poor people who have little or no workers rights .

plodging

Think tesco accountants have been too busy overstating how much profit … Think tesco accountants have been too busy overstating how much profit they have made over the years.

Every little helps......

splender

"As soon as our own review identified this issue we took immediate action … "As soon as our own review identified this issue we took immediate action to resolve it and establish which colleagues are affected. We've apologised to our colleagues and our priority now is to talk to them about how this affects them individually, and make any necessary payments."one asks in street language that everyone understands:-How come the HMRC bean counters who are paid less in wages and spent less time than the Tesco bean counters, found the issue?!

HMRC never found the issue, Tesco did. They reported it to HMRC themselves.

Banned

athunder

HMRC never found the issue, Tesco did. They reported it to HMRC … HMRC never found the issue, Tesco did. They reported it to HMRC themselves.

After probably hundreds of letters & threats of action from employees & ACAS

YouDontWantToKnow

After probably hundreds of letters & threats of action from employees & … After probably hundreds of letters & threats of action from employees & ACAS

no,
I'm likely to get a small amount from this myself.

Banned

athunder

no,

How do you know?

You dont unless you work for Tescos legal or National HR Department.

athunder

HMRC never found the issue, Tesco did. They reported it to HMRC … HMRC never found the issue, Tesco did. They reported it to HMRC themselves.

I see, so the news report did not make clear Tesco is not one of the companies, "Last month, HMRC named 360 businesses who had failed to pay the statutory minimum wage. Debenhams, Subway and Lloyds Pharmacy were among the companies told to refund staff."
The critical question is WHO had asked for this internal own review?! Since payroll system test was done thoroughoutly with test data prior to go live and all data entry clerks had been told of the changes.

already posted about argos, £60 each, lel

only paying because they have been told to

[quote=millarcat]
Last month, HMRC named over 300 businesses who had failed to pay the statutory minimum wage including Tesco, Debenhams, Subway and Lloyds Pharmacy....
Tesco is due to pay back a total of almost £10m to around 140,000 current and former workers. It seems that after deductions for pensions, childcare, cycle to work schemes, some staff were being paid less than the National Living Wage.
So, good news for Tesco staff, you could be due a little windfall and this will be paid back by the end of March!! Don't get overly excited though, it's likely to work work out at about £40 on average (although some could get a lot more!)
Quote below taken from BBC
Matt Davies, chief executive of Tesco UK and Ireland, said: [quote=] As my **** is it a blunder. I worked for tesco for 9 years nearly. How can it be a blunder when your wages are short every month. When a wage query is done it's never resolved and it's. Brushed off. I worked 296 hours extra over Ramadan last year doing 2 shifts on a Friday. I got paid 11 hours only over overtime. I'm still waiting. O yeah to top it off. I was sacked because I was told I'm a racist. But yet I have a mixed race child. It's utter bull crap and it's no blunder. Plus I was told I had a loan. Tesco don't do loans and I was conned again
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Best/cheapest music service55
    2. Best place to get Euro's... this Wednesday?812
    3. Netflix Family - Anyone got any places going?38
    4. I have a pretty old sky router and the power lead needs replacing, is it li…33

See more discussions