Tesco uses CCTV at self-checkout tills; every little helps you not to help yourself

Found 27th MayEdited by:"splender"
2946041.jpg
to:-

1. be “affluent, middle-aged” looters who “get a kick out of not paying for a bottle of wine or their Friday night steak

2. beat up staff at the checkout or take away baskets

3. what's that £10 thing scanned as £1 ?!

Every little helps you.

---------------------------------------------------------

Sainsburys have installed new security at 300 of their stores as of March 2018.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
ASongOfFireAndIce27th May

Stealing is Wrong I’m not condoning this, however If shops continue to o …Stealing is Wrong I’m not condoning this, however If shops continue to operate this way in favour of humans on tills that don’t constantly go into error because of an incorrect weight item then they deserve what happens in the future. Shops continue to shut not just because of the human element of shopping experience going! Guess how many self scanners I’ve seen in Aldi’s? That’s right none!

Stores are closing because of self-checkouts? I always use them. In Aldi having them scan everything in a blink of an eye is not a preference of mine.
Edited by: "rev6" 27th May
What about not paying for bags? Naughty me, I might go to prison now
Doesn't bother me as I wouldn't steal. Once however I bought a reduce to clear doll for my daughter that was normally £25 but reduced to £6.50 however there was a 50% sale on and for some reason it deducted £12.50 from the price meaning it owed me £6!!

Best day of my life
38 Comments
Asda have had them for ages, not happy with them but if it keeps prices down by accusing everyone as a potential thief then so be it. Anyway I stick my sausage on the scales so they can look at it later.
Yeh seen them in Asda for a while, they are so detailed in showing every blemish/scar on my face!

How do they actually catch people though? sure they are recording but not as if they have employed someone to watch every camera so see whats going through.
I don't blame them however anyone caught will be realised in hours only to try again.
Niz20 m ago

Yeh seen them in Asda for a while, they are so detailed in showing every …Yeh seen them in Asda for a while, they are so detailed in showing every blemish/scar on my face!How do they actually catch people though? sure they are recording but not as if they have employed someone to watch every camera so see whats going through.

Good point, at ASDA they have security guards looking at screens, but I think they rely on the guards' memory recall to look out for and identity persistent customers (and abusive customers who abuse other customers).
Edited by: "splender" 27th May
Norseg19 m ago

You might get done for polluting the planet which is a much more serious offence.

I wouldn't be surprised if the prosecutor could convince the magistrate into believing a paid-for bag is less pollutiing than that for a stolen bag.
Stealing is Wrong I’m not condoning this, however If shops continue to operate this way in favour of humans on tills that don’t constantly go into error because of an incorrect weight item then they deserve what happens in the future. Shops continue to shut not just because of the human element of shopping experience going! Guess how many self scanners I’ve seen in Aldi’s? That’s right none!

Stealing is Wrong I’m not condoning this, however If shops continue to o …Stealing is Wrong I’m not condoning this, however If shops continue to operate this way in favour of humans on tills that don’t constantly go into error because of an incorrect weight item then they deserve what happens in the future. Shops continue to shut not just because of the human element of shopping experience going! Guess how many self scanners I’ve seen in Aldi’s? That’s right none!

Stores are closing because of self-checkouts? I always use them. In Aldi having them scan everything in a blink of an eye is not a preference of mine.
rev67 m ago

Stores are closing because of self-checkouts? I always use them. In Aldi …Stores are closing because of self-checkouts? I always use them. In Aldi having them scan everything in a blink of an eye is not a preference of mine.

No there not but when I go the shops I avoid them they constantly go into error calling assistant someone is coming - and there’s no interaction anymore! I remember staff packing for you! I went to America last year and they did that for me in brown bags and guess what , I felt like I’d go back there because it was a good experience!

No there not but when I go the shops I avoid them they constantly go into …No there not but when I go the shops I avoid them they constantly go into error calling assistant someone is coming - and there’s no interaction anymore! I remember staff packing for you! I went to America last year and they did that for me in brown bags and guess what , I felt like I’d go back there because it was a good experience!

We are far from the ways of America. The new 'scan as you shop" in Tesco is good. No errors there just random bag checks. I don't go shop to socialize with staff so it really doesn't bother me.
Saying that though the attitudes of staff recently is not helping. I was talking to someone a while back, and they ended up getting "told off" because they were talking instead of doing their job.
rev610 m ago

We are far from the ways of America. The new 'scan as you shop" in Tesco …We are far from the ways of America. The new 'scan as you shop" in Tesco is good. No errors there just random bag checks. I don't go shop to socialize with staff so it really doesn't bother me.Saying that though the attitudes of staff recently is not helping. I was talking to someone a while back, and they ended up getting "told off" because they were talking instead of doing their job.

That’s true I think the final end, is for me the last impression if somewhere does my head in I won’t go back. I’ve never tried that method I have seen it. My favourite experience is Slaters Menswear in Birmingham go you get walked from suits to shirts to shoes happened every time I’ve been and will always go back there and recommend it. I guess I just feel with online shopping taking over massively there’s little in way of keeping the high street open Good Customer Service seems the only hope!

Yeah because Aldi don't sling your stuff at 300 mph into a big pile for you to sort out... seriously Aldi hardly have enough staff to stack the shelves, mop the floor and serve on the till.

You want service then Waitrose offers the best.
splender1 h, 54 m ago

You might get done for polluting the planet which is a much more serious …You might get done for polluting the planet which is a much more serious offence.I wouldn't be surprised if the prosecutor could convince the magistrate into believing a paid-for bag is less pollutiing than that for a stolen bag.

I'll like I'll to see them try

I'll be the next Count Dankula
rev61 h, 29 m ago

Stores are closing because of self-checkouts? I always use them. In Aldi …Stores are closing because of self-checkouts? I always use them. In Aldi having them scan everything in a blink of an eye is not a preference of mine.

Wait are all Aldi stores like that for everyone? I thought I was just a awkward person since they are asking to me to pay and I haven't even opened my bag yet, I have to quickly shove everything in the bag since they've only started doing other customers

I've heard in America many major supermarkets will do pack your items, I've never been though
Edited by: "Norseg" 27th May
caverncity27th May

Asda have had them for ages, not happy with them but if it keeps prices …Asda have had them for ages, not happy with them but if it keeps prices down by accusing everyone as a potential thief then so be it. Anyway I stick my sausage on the scales so they can look at it later.

They must have a great zoom on them.
caverncity2 h, 41 m ago

Asda have had them for ages, not happy with them but if it keeps prices …Asda have had them for ages, not happy with them but if it keeps prices down by accusing everyone as a potential thief then so be it. Anyway I stick my sausage on the scales so they can look at it later.

What is this "stick my sausages on the scales"?
Norseg24 m ago

Wait are all Aldi stores like that for everyone? I thought I was just a …Wait are all Aldi stores like that for everyone? I thought I was just a awkward person since they are asking to me to pay and I haven't even opened my bag yet, I have to quickly shove everything in the bag since they've only started doing other customers I've heard in America many major supermarkets will do pack your items, I've never been though

You're not alone. Even at night when there's no one else but me at the till, they'll appear from an isle, scan my shop while I'm fumbling with cash, bags, and shopping.
Doesn't bother me as I wouldn't steal. Once however I bought a reduce to clear doll for my daughter that was normally £25 but reduced to £6.50 however there was a 50% sale on and for some reason it deducted £12.50 from the price meaning it owed me £6!!

Best day of my life
Norseg3 h, 10 m ago

Be careful
33870229-p8h0S.jpg
Every supermarket in London has it. Op must’ve from elsewhere as it’s been like this for years and it doesn’t bother me because I don’t steal
davewave1 h, 21 m ago

Yeah because Aldi don't sling your stuff at 300 mph into a big pile for …Yeah because Aldi don't sling your stuff at 300 mph into a big pile for you to sort out... seriously Aldi hardly have enough staff to stack the shelves, mop the floor and serve on the till.You want service then Waitrose offers the best.

I’ve only gone to Aldi once or twice and had very little so didn’t notice the speed like I’ve heard they’re quick and can imagine may be not pretty. I’ve been Waitrose once or twice to get the odd thing but feel very uncomfortable in there like I shouldn’t be there.
caverncity3 h, 53 m ago

I think they are used to track back crooks using stolen cards. If you see a suspicious £200 ASDA spend on your card and complain to your bank, ASDA then look at the footage and liaise with the Police. EEuropeans are experts at this criminal activity.
Edited by: "zworld" 27th May
wayners3 h, 56 m ago

I don't blame them however anyone caught will be realised in hours only to …I don't blame them however anyone caught will be realised in hours only to try again.

Thought you got perma banned from the (that) shop, carry on elsewhere and you'll end up starving to deaf.
MR11231 h, 3 m ago

Every supermarket in London has it. Op must’ve from elsewhere as it’s been …Every supermarket in London has it. Op must’ve from elsewhere as it’s been like this for years and it doesn’t bother me because I don’t steal

We think you are from elsewhere, you are not in London as evidenced from your statement.
You can easily get free items on the asda tills. One of the easiest methods is to scan the first item quickly and it will beep then pass the second on over and it will beep but the first isn’t registered.
My friend installs and sells CCTV for a living and reckons asda does not record their checkout feeds. The resolution and total number of self service checkouts for most stores means the quite the investment for a decent footage retention time. This is not beyond the realms of possibly for them to have a low retention and use h.265 but what seems glaringly obvious to all is the massive blinking RECORDING text overlay clumsy implemented.

I've got half a mind to pay a local I know to go on the rob at the self service to see if asda can dredge up the footage after they are caught. From what I can tell the actual self checkout system has not changed so other than identifying a face you can still put your vodka through as loose onions the is no time stamp matching with the raw footage to put you on the checkout at said time. If you print barcodes off for cheaper products that weigh the same and stick them over the barcodes this also still works. This could all be wrong though as its just us guessing.

If feeds are recorded for CC fraud this makes more sense but still why the massive RECORDING message?

I don't like seeing my face so using the self service now upsets me a bit.
Edited by: "mogsog" 28th May
splender1 h, 32 m ago

We think you are from elsewhere, you are not in London as evidenced from …We think you are from elsewhere, you are not in London as evidenced from your statement.

Wherever I’m from and others, they’ve had this for years
davewave8 h, 5 m ago

Yeah because Aldi don't sling your stuff at 300 mph into a big pile for …Yeah because Aldi don't sling your stuff at 300 mph into a big pile for you to sort out... seriously Aldi hardly have enough staff to stack the shelves, mop the floor and serve on the till.You want service then Waitrose offers the best.

Not around here it doesn't, you're be lucky if the staff stop chatting to each other long enough to serve you, let alone get any sort of smile or service, it's like you've just barged into someone's house and expected them to sell you groceries!
mastablasta6 h, 33 m ago

You can easily get free items on the asda tills. One of the easiest …You can easily get free items on the asda tills. One of the easiest methods is to scan the first item quickly and it will beep then pass the second on over and it will beep but the first isn’t registered.

Thief! ^^^

That’s because the Aldi workers know how to scan things quickly, Tesco/Asda/Sainsbury’s when they have finished chatting to their mates or flirting with customers they might get around to scanning your shopping and the queue of about 20 people at each till might go down by one. In the same amount of time I’ve walked around Aldi, gone through the checkout and loaded the car and probably driving home!
deleted1431257
Norseg17 h, 3 m ago

Prisoner = Hello, welcome to HMP ______
Me = Hi, what are you in prison for?
Prisoner = Nice of you to ask, most of the prisoners are too scared to ask. I'm in prison for manslaughter, 15 counts of rape including gangrape, GBH, two counts of Arson on gang members, robbed twelve stores at gun point with an AR15 and AK47 including a Morrisons and a Costco, total kill count 54 (53 innocent, but one guy who I had the unfortunate misery of being in the same school and class with absolutely deserved it and I am glad to have stabbed that wretched turd of a soul (250 times according to the morgue))
Me = Wow... well, I'm in prison for stealing a Bag for Life costing a grand total of 8 pence
Edited by: "deleted1431257" 28th May
I don't mind it. My ugly mug could use more TV time. Everyone gets their 15 minutes somehow!
I was reading on Saturday about the extent of thieving going on at self serve tills. There are around 50,000 of then in the UK and collectively they are losing £3billion a year. Most of the problem seems to be people switching vegetables, eg pressing a cheaper item like carrots when buying a more expensive one like avocados.This devious habit was first reported in Australia where one customer apparently purchased 18kg of carrots in one transaction and ended up with a trolley full of exotic fruit
jaketheplumber34 m ago

I was reading on Saturday about the extent of thieving going on at self …I was reading on Saturday about the extent of thieving going on at self serve tills. There are around 50,000 of then in the UK and collectively they are losing £3billion a year. Most of the problem seems to be people switching vegetables, eg pressing a cheaper item like carrots when buying a more expensive one like avocados.This devious habit was first reported in Australia where one customer apparently purchased 18kg of carrots in one transaction and ended up with a trolley full of exotic fruit

That's brilliant and I can see that working. I just haven't got it in me to do it and wouldn't sleep at night knowing I've done it but still. Brilliant. Oops! Did I press loose potatoes
wayners20 m ago

That's brilliant and I can see that working. I just haven't got it in me …That's brilliant and I can see that working. I just haven't got it in me to do it and wouldn't sleep at night knowing I've done it but still. Brilliant. Oops! Did I press loose potatoes

I can see it working too but I don't think I'd have the nerve to try. Maybe such things come natural to those of a criminal mindset.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants