Groups

Tesco Wine messed up my delivery again. Then insulted me.

I placed an order for the cheap champagne posted on this website early December. It was ordered on the 2nd December for delivery on the 22nd between 20:00 - 23:00. Having waited in for over three hours I still hadn't received the plonk. I made a big fuss with Tesco Wine who explained that they ship the wine to the relevant store and the store then delivers to my home. However, the warehouse ran out of plonk and instructed the store to telephone me to let me know - they didn't.

Anyway after Christmas received a call from the store apologising and suggesting that they will call round to the house with a champagne valued at £28 per bottle. Home delivery manager turned up at the house with a box of 6 bottles of Champagne Vallois Vintage 2002. I was so grateful that they had taken the complaint serioulsy and been so generous.

However, when I searched the internet for the brand of champagne was disgusted to find that the apology I had accepted so graciously was currently in a half price promotion and was available at £14 per bottle.

When I telephoned the guy who delivered the champagne to make him aware that I knew of the current offer her became quite abusive and put it to me that it was obvious that I had no idea that the champagne he had given me was a much better quality than what I had ordered and that I was obvioulsy intent in just screwing Tesco for what I could get.

I telephoned the store manager and reported the matter. I now feel quite bad that I did, but I refuse to be insulted by a member of staff of a store.

Champagne is now selling for £30 per bottle.
    Your feedback please.

14 Comments

They gave you £84 worth of free champagne? and you feel ripped off that it isn't £168 worth?

What about the people that paid £28 for that champagne, should they feel ripped off that the price went down to £14 - I think they have been more than generous although I do agree with you they shouldn't of been rude, maybe just worded it more politely.

Just my view

My concise feedback: lighten up, let it go, move on.

My detailed feedback: You don't make it clear whether you received a refund or not.
    1. If you did receive a refund then I'd say you did bloody well out of their mistake and to go slagging Tesco off because you got free wine which also happened to be on offer is rather petty and mean act. If you didn't receive a refund and the Vallois champagne was a replacement for the non-delivered wine then again, I don't know what you are complaining about as you patently accepted the replacement and the value of the replacement wine was presumably more than the originally-ordered wine.

2. As regards the Tesco employee becoming abusive, I'd ask to what degree? You don't record what was said - was the employee really abusive (as in "**** off you scrounging old turd") or did they merely express their belief that you were being unreasonable?

The employee abuse may something you can pursue with HO or the store manager. Let the free champagne 'issue' drop because you did very well out of it and if that's the biggest thing going wrong in your life right now then lucky old you.

most people get an apology and would be over the moon with one bottle you got 6 free bottles of champagne and your are still complaining?!

Original Poster

I am not complaining. I am detailing my experience and the events that unfolded.
    I agree the champagne was an acceptable way to resolve the matter; however, the guy spent so much time blinding me with the £28 price tag of the champagne, I was put in a position that it was an offer I couldn't refuse. It just irks me that he knew the plonk was half price when he bragged it was £28 a bottle. I didn't ask for any more than was offered, in fact I would have been satisfied with the plonk at £14. To then raise his voice on the telephone and accuse me of being ignorant of quality and that I was attempting to screw Tesco was the final straw.

Champagne wasn't free as has been suggested; it was a replacement for the 6 that didn't turn up.

Was that a very thinly veiled insult Misterquiddy in part 2 of your post?

did the half price bottles total (84quids) come to more than your original purchase? if so then its settled aslong as you dont mind the substitute. No need for their rudeness though.

I miss-read your original post, I thought the 6 bottle were a freebie..

Different story now - they are giving you a cheaper 6 bottles after Christmas, when you have no use for them. instead of your original order before Christmas which is when you really needed them. shame you accepted the offer.. maybe head office will be more friendly

If you are truely a diabetic guy then you shouldnt be drinking champagne and if you feel bad about making a fuss, then thats your answer, think before you do so ,next time.

Ok so now we know they weren't free but how much did you pay? Need more details to give an opinion. The rudeness is worthy of making a complaint but the whole champagne has nothing to do with that

I'm with Tesco on this, and as people may know, that's not my usual line as I hate Tesco.

For others, here's the background to all this....

hotukdeals.com/ite…ot/

See posts 10, 29 and 30.

As for the rudeness, if you hadn't complained about getting £84 worth of champagne for £44 you would never have had that response from them. All seems a bit petty to me tbh.

They way I would look at is is how much were you expecting to pay for your original order?

As long as what you recieved was at least the same value as you originally intended to pay then I really don't think you should have even complained. If your original order came to a higher amount than the value of the goods you had delivered, you could complain on the basis that they took X amount from you and provided you with goods that are currently on sale for less than you have already paid Tesco, if you had walked into a store and picked up the same items you would have got more for the money you had already paid them, if you see what I'm trying to get at.

But whatever type of complaint they are dealing with, the staff shouldn't be rude.

Actually, just editing to say ignore that advice !! I've just read the original offer in the link provided by Shengis, and OMG, what are you complaining about???? The original offer cost £44 and they've provided you with 6 bottles that even on offer are worth double what you paid at £84 !! The person on the phone should have diplomatically phrased that you are infact being a tad greedy and have been given a more than adequate replacement really

Shengis;1511116

I'm with Tesco on this, and as people may know, that's not my usual line … I'm with Tesco on this, and as people may know, that's not my usual line as I hate Tesco.For others, here's the background to all this....http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/120788/mercier-champagne-44-09-for-six-bot/See posts 10, 29 and 30.As for the rudeness, if you hadn't complained about getting £84 worth of champagne for £44 you would never have had that response from them. All seems a bit petty to me tbh.

Good point. Why start a new thread to go over old stuff? Move on.

They shouldn't have been rude, but you paid £44 for champagne that should have cost £84, and then you complained, as if Tesco have pulled a fast one? Whether it was on offer or not your still receiving more than you money's worth - so in my eyes complaining was petty.

diabeticguy;1510353

However, when I searched the internet for the brand of champagne was … However, when I searched the internet for the brand of champagne was disgusted to find that the apology I had accepted so graciously was currently in a half price promotion and was available at £14 per bottle.

Jesus Christ.

How bloody disgusting!

:-D

Original Poster

Shengis;1511116

I'm with Tesco on this, and as people may know, that's not my usual line … I'm with Tesco on this, and as people may know, that's not my usual line as I hate Tesco.For others, here's the background to all this....http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/120788/mercier-champagne-44-09-for-six-bot/See posts 10, 29 and 30.As for the rudeness, if you hadn't complained about getting £84 worth of champagne for £44 you would never have had that response from them. All seems a bit petty to me tbh.

Holy Carp..please accept apologies for this duplicate post; I can't remember ever posting the above. I think I should go and lie down.

I mentioned it again because it was weighing on my mind and the motives behind my decisions. I feel that your thoughts on the matter are pertanant and I have taken them on board. Thanks for your feedback.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 37 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk2020
      2. Magazine competitions - Issue 38 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1313
      3. Tv choice magazine Issue 3911
      4. Win a Year's Supply of Tea, a Coffee Hamper & a Coffee Machine11

See more discussions