Tesla Model S: a death trap?

36 Comments
I already posted on here about how they rattle, screws seem to come out and they never manage to get them back. Seat bolters get worn out easily on RHD models. Suspension parts brake after only a few months/thousand miles.

Essentially, they have a great tech, but no pedigree in production of vehicles, just b/c they are expensive does not mean they are premium.

They need a while to work out the kinks. There are 6 in our fleet now and all have been back to the dealers and most problems remain "unresolved"!
Quite alarming for a car that costs so much. My mate recently laid out 75k (allegedly, could be more) for a P100. It's fair to say these motors go like poop off a shovel (0-60 in 2.2 seconds) but is that a good thing when the wheels could fall off due to bad QC?
Well they are American, aren't American cars notorious for being crap
Amazing car. Will change the world.
davewave

Amazing car. Will change the world.

I think electric cars are the way fwd. I love to see electric lorries/buses first as diesel ones are causing so much pollutions.

Tesla is forcing traditional car manufacturers to adopt electric at a faster pace.
This is great news.
The guy in the vid seems well adjusted and competent and almost accepts the fact that there might be teething problems and is prepared to challenge if the fault reappears

Tesla also seem to be offering a reasonable service and I don't see any issue.

Other "new" car models have had faults on par with Tesla from Vauxhall Zafira's to Ferrari's so I don't see the Tesla as a death trap but would consider a Vauxhall Zafira to be said death trap
Just look at Dacia and the corrosion issue with early Indian built Dusters. Customers were literally picking up their brand new cars and finding rust spots all over. This was apparently down to substandard or missing rust protection, thin low quality paint and poor workmanship - that's from Renault Nissan and they've been manufacturing cars how long. How did they fix this issue you may ask, paint paint and more paint oh, and Waxoyl in every nook and crevice. All manufactures have their problems.
iDealYou

I think electric cars are the way fwd. I love to see electric … I think electric cars are the way fwd. I love to see electric lorries/buses first as diesel ones are causing so much pollutions.Tesla is forcing traditional car manufacturers to adopt electric at a faster pace.This is great news.

Electric cars are just as polluting, just not on your doorstep. Power stations mostly run on fossil fuels as do cars. Those that don't tend to be nuclear and that will be polluting the planet tens of thousands of years into the future. As for the batteries....
psychobitchfromhell

Electric cars are just as polluting, just not on your doorstep. Power … Electric cars are just as polluting, just not on your doorstep. Power stations mostly run on fossil fuels as do cars. Those that don't tend to be nuclear and that will be polluting the planet tens of thousands of years into the future. As for the batteries....

Currently most electric cars are charged at night. At night energy demand is low, so the biggest and least efficient fossil fuel in coal is almost unused (currently less than 1%). While a third of the current supply is supplied by gas power stations gas has a low particulate output. It is also more efficient than internal combustion engines. Carbon capture also vastly reduces the pollution released into the air.
While batteries do produce some environmental concerns suggesting using electric cars is remotely as bad as ICE cars is absurd.
Jumpingphil

Really?you know this how?

Three mile island
Fukushima
Chernobyl
Examples of nuclear accidents that will be polluting the planet long after you and I are gone. Do you deny this?
GAVINLEWISHUKD

Currently most electric cars are charged at night. At night energy demand … Currently most electric cars are charged at night. At night energy demand is low, so the biggest and least efficient fossil fuel in coal is almost unused (currently less than 1%). While a third of the current supply is supplied by gas power stations gas has a low particulate output. It is also more efficient than internal combustion engines. Carbon capture also vastly reduces the pollution released into the air.While batteries do produce some environmental concerns suggesting using electric cars is remotely as bad as ICE cars is absurd.

I'm not saying that the internal combustion engine is the answer, what I am saying is that those who think the electric cars do not pollute are misguided. Also the fact that cars are often charged at night is irrelevant. They are still using fossil fuels which are non sustainable. If everyone who ran a car had to have a wind turbine in their garden sufficient to power said car would they?
Whilst some electricity is still produced by fossil fuels, there is a gradual shift towards other forms of clean energy production, so it will take time.

But if Tesla are producing cars that are by no means cheap to buy with such faults then it indicates a desire to rush to market to be first without taking care of some of the basics.

As far as being able to go 0-60 in 2.2 seconds, that is of no practical use whatsoever.

It doesn't matter how good the service is, it should not be the norm to buy a vehicle that requires continual repairs outside of the things that we would expect to go wrong after wear and tear use.

Tesla might well be forcing the big manufacturers to produce electric cars but if he is not careful he will price his own company out of the market, except for perhaps being badged as a luxury brand.

He might well even see his company bought up cheap by one of the more established conglomerates as they begin to produce truly affordable models.
psychobitchfromhell

I'm not saying that the internal combustion engine is the answer, what I … I'm not saying that the internal combustion engine is the answer, what I am saying is that those who think the electric cars do not pollute are misguided. Also the fact that cars are often charged at night is irrelevant. They are still using fossil fuels which are non sustainable. If everyone who ran a car had to have a wind turbine in their garden sufficient to power said car would they?

I'm pretty sure most kids over 7 know where electric is produced! Actually charging at night does make a difference not from an output point of view but from a particle point of view. Two things happen at night. One: its cooler so particles don't hang in the air as long. Second: it also tends to be windy at night so will blow particles over a longer distance.

As for future charging it was discussed over in the banning ICE car thread. Solar will be a big part of the future.
I think MKBHD is getting preferential treatment from Tesla because of his YT status.
This guy seems to have far worse service.

youtube.com/wat…=7s
GAVINLEWISHUKD

I'm pretty sure most kids over 7 know where electric is produced! … I'm pretty sure most kids over 7 know where electric is produced! Actually charging at night does make a difference not from an output point of view but from a particle point of view. Two things happen at night. One: its cooler so particles don't hang in the air as long. Second: it also tends to be windy at night so will blow particles over a longer distance.As for future charging it was discussed over in the banning ICE car thread. Solar will be a big part of the future.

People charge their cars at night. Solar energy is the way forward. I spot a fairly major flaw here...... Actually I'm all in favour of solar power, I have panels on the roof of one of my houses and boy does it cut the bills down. I've nothing against electric cars either although until they increase the range, they won't meet my motoring needs. What I do have a problem with is people promoting them as non polluting because it just isn't the case.
Most power stations are away from cities, so the pollution has less effect on health.
I.e. just image electric cars have huge exhaust pipes which put the dirty air away from where we live.
Tesla cars may be a lot less efficient than say a leaf I.e. miles per watt due to their high speed modes, plus larger heavier batteries ( needed to give them the longer range)
psychobitchfromhell

People charge their cars at night. Solar energy is the way forward. I … People charge their cars at night. Solar energy is the way forward. I spot a fairly major flaw here...... Actually I'm all in favour of solar power, I have panels on the roof of one of my houses and boy does it cut the bills down. I've nothing against electric cars either although until they increase the range, they won't meet my motoring needs. What I do have a problem with is people promoting them as non polluting because it just isn't the case.

I haven't seen people claim they don't pollute, they pollute a lot less than an ICE though.
Solar energy can be stored for night time use btw.

Where I live generally more than 50% of electricity is generated with renewables, and sometimes as much as 106% of required electricity is met by renewables.

It is clear to me that electric cars are the future and tesla is a big part of speeding that up. I mean a Nissan leaf is great but it looks like something my gran would drive... If she drove or was still alive.
If Nicola Tesla was around the cars would be selling for £20k.
I don't see the point having an electric car with such acceleration figures, if you are trying to be green and preserve your mileage range why burn up precious power on fast acceleration ? And probably mow down any wildlife crossing the road? Yeah sounds really responsible for the environment.

They are pretty crap over 60 mph torque wise.
freakstyler

Just look at Dacia and the corrosion issue with early Indian built … Just look at Dacia and the corrosion issue with early Indian built Dusters. Customers were literally picking up their brand new cars and finding rust spots all over. This was apparently down to substandard or missing rust protection, thin low quality paint and poor workmanship - that's from Renault Nissan and they've been manufacturing cars how long. How did they fix this issue you may ask, paint paint and more paint oh, and Waxoyl in every nook and crevice. All manufactures have their problems.

I didn't know Renault, Nissan and Dacia where linked
psychobitchfromhell

Electric cars are just as polluting, just not on your doorstep. Power … Electric cars are just as polluting, just not on your doorstep. Power stations mostly run on fossil fuels as do cars. Those that don't tend to be nuclear and that will be polluting the planet tens of thousands of years into the future. As for the batteries....

We need green energy, solar, wave and wind
sufology

If Nicola Tesla was around the cars would be selling for £20k.

We'd need them if he was around we'd get zapped by electricity just walked around on the pavement and dropping our keys
airfix

I don't see the point having an electric car with such acceleration … I don't see the point having an electric car with such acceleration figures, if you are trying to be green and preserve your mileage range why burn up precious power on fast acceleration ? And probably mow down any wildlife crossing the road? Yeah sounds really responsible for the environment. They are pretty crap over 60 mph torque wise.

True, a model S might take only take 3 seconds to get to 60mph but it takes a huge 2.4 seconds to go from 30-70... Clearly making it too slow for every day use.
Error440

I didn't know Renault, Nissan and Dacia where linked

You do now.

They're all cheap Renault's basically, That is concerning since Renault have been cutting corners for years quality wise in a way to try and save money, Cheap plastics, poor quality parts etc...
Edited by: ".MUFC." 1st Aug 2017
psychobitchfromhell

I'm not saying that the internal combustion engine is the answer, what I … I'm not saying that the internal combustion engine is the answer, what I am saying is that those who think the electric cars do not pollute are misguided. Also the fact that cars are often charged at night is irrelevant. They are still using fossil fuels which are non sustainable. If everyone who ran a car had to have a wind turbine in their garden sufficient to power said car would they?

'm sure their neighbours would have something to say about a wind turbine being put in the garden due to the size of them. I would imagine the footprint of one would struggle to fit in most peoples gardens so that argument is invalid.
CoeK14 m ago

True, a model S might take only take 3 seconds to get to 60mph but it …True, a model S might take only take 3 seconds to get to 60mph but it takes a huge 2.4 seconds to go from 30-70... Clearly making it too slow for every day use.

What's the point of this acceleration if it drains the battery?
airfix

What's the point of this acceleration if it drains the battery?

Same as the point of a normal car's acceleration although it drains fuel...
Sebas111

'm sure their neighbours would have something to say about a wind turbine … 'm sure their neighbours would have something to say about a wind turbine being put in the garden due to the size of them. I would imagine the footprint of one would struggle to fit in most peoples gardens so that argument is invalid.

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1j7dFJVXXXXXsaXXXq6xXFXXX8/100pcs-lot-Plastic-DIY-font-b-Windmill-b-font-Spinner-Pinwheel-Whirl-Small-font-b-Windmills.jpg
psychobitchfromhell10 h, 22 m ago

Electric cars are just as polluting, just not on your doorstep. Power …Electric cars are just as polluting, just not on your doorstep. Power stations mostly run on fossil fuels as do cars. Those that don't tend to be nuclear and that will be polluting the planet tens of thousands of years into the future. As for the batteries....

Agree, I struggle when they claim 0% emissions as if they run on air.
CoeK

Nice. Might just generate enough power for the radio to come on
Chiptivo

Agree, I struggle when they claim 0% emissions as if they run on air.

It is the ones who claim to run on pixie dust you should worry about. I hear they keep them in cages that are too small and grind up their bones for this dust. They should be ashamed.
CoeK18 m ago

Same as the point of a normal car's acceleration although it drains fuel...

I thought the problem with electric cars was their range?
CoeK

Same as the point of a normal car's acceleration although it drains … Same as the point of a normal car's acceleration although it drains fuel...

airfix

Comment #13:
[ hotukdeals.com/mis…736 ]
airfix

That is a problem, for example if your car has a range of 200 miles but you need to go 205 miles.

I had an Rx8 once, I would go 180 miles on a £70 tank of fuel, my right foot probably didn't help matters. But I only had a small commute so I bought it anyway knowing how bad it was on fuel and how much it was going to cost.

I think we should encourage everyone to buy the car that is right for them, for example if you commute 10 miles to work and back get a tesla go everywhere at top speed if you want, if you have to go 100 miles get a zoe and take it easy. If you have to drive across the country then don't buy an electric car.
SilverBlack

I think MKBHD is getting preferential treatment from Tesla because of his … I think MKBHD is getting preferential treatment from Tesla because of his YT status.This guy seems to have far worse service.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAWq2HE9wmU&t=7s

His car might not be great but he seems to say that Tesla have sorted any issues he has had. So the service has been good.

In the Tesla community it's pretty well known that the 2013/2014 had/have far more issues. With some saying don't buy these older models.
If you look at Kmanauto's channel on YouTube he had an early 2013 one with loads of issues. 3 years on he bought a 2016 and in the last year has has hardly any issues.
James Cooke has a 2014 car (another YouTuber) and not had many issue.

So they are (generally) getting better. Not up to German standards of fit and finish but heading in the right direction.
psychobitchfromhell

People charge their cars at night. Solar energy is the way forward. I … People charge their cars at night. Solar energy is the way forward. I spot a fairly major flaw here...... Actually I'm all in favour of solar power, I have panels on the roof of one of my houses and boy does it cut the bills down. I've nothing against electric cars either although until they increase the range, they won't meet my motoring needs. What I do have a problem with is people promoting them as non polluting because it just isn't the case.

That is now and then. Currently most electric cars are changed at night mainly as people are using cheap economy 7 electric. In the future when electric cars are commonplace people will be charging at all point of the day and night.
We don't currently have the capacity to charge lots of electric cars during the day. This is where solar on your roof will help the grid.
Some people will still charge off peak to save money, some won't care about the money and will want to charge at peak time.

Eventually we will have a smart grid system where based on the journeys you do it will sell capacity out of your car for a higher price and return it when it's cheaper. This will help balance the grid.

I think for most 200+300 is enough without a stop. This issue is charging speed. You stop at the services for a toilet stop and a coffee and you have to charge for 30min for another 100m. When this is down to 5 min this won't be an issue. So it's not range so much but charging time.

They are non polluting at point of use but do use electricity so most will use charged by grid electricity.

TBH I have more issues with hybrids. Take the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV as an example. It's headline economy is 156.9mpg but in reality it's in the 50('s)mpg and they get away with that!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants