Expired

Tethering When Abroad?

Found 30th May 2014
Hi guys

Basically I'll be away for the next couple of weeks and I was planning of taking advantage of the unlimited net that Three offer for 5 quid a day when abroad.

For most of the time I won't have a wifi signal so was just planning on using my Note II and a 3G connection when need be. However, I still have some luggage space for was considering taking my Macbook Pro along too. I'm on the One Plan so can tether within the UK, but I was wondering if there was any way I could do it abroad since I'd basically be doing the same thing as on my phone (streaming the Tennis, youtube, etc, but with a bigger screen).

Will apps like PDANet hide it from them or should I just not bother taking the Macbook?

Cheers
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
You cannot use tethering while abroad on Three. Which country are you visiting; as if you are in a Three Feel At Home country, you won't need to buy an add on to lose your allowances. You are restricted to 25mb of data a month, instead of unlimited, and tethering is not allowed, as I explained earlier.
Sorry, that should say "use" not "lose" your allowances.
I went to the USA on three sim, £15 all you can eat data gave me tethering without any issue. speeds not the best but was worth it when we needed it. I was there for 3 weeks and worked fine for them 3 weeks
I'm aware I'm not allowed to tether abroad. I was asking whether apps like Netpda can hide it from them since it'll be used for the exact same thing, just on a bigger laptop screen rather than my Note 2.

As far as I'm aware this unlimited internet for £5 works for countries not in their feels at home offer. In the end I prob won't bother taking my macbook in the end as I'm not sure I'll be able to hide the tethering from them.
just get a pay as you go sim from three, put £15 on it get the unlimited internet and you can tether, I was doing it to another phone, iPad and laptop. that way you not going to risk getting high Bill.
borofan47

You are restricted to 25mb of data a month, instead of unlimited, and … You are restricted to 25mb of data a month, instead of unlimited, and tethering is not allowed, as I explained earlier.

Its 25GB per month not MB.
I have used the £5 a day data on several trips to Spain and France, I used it for 8 days ending just over a week ago. You get unlimited data, tethered my wife's laptop on several occasions, didn't get the message saying this was not allowed like in the uk. The speed is ok for general browsing. It is useless for streaming. I had to watch the Champions League final in the local bar. :-)
mds1256

Its 25GB per month not MB.

Sorry, I stand corrected; it is 25GB, not MB. The "no tethering" rule is correct though.
Unfortunately I wasn't even able to connect to any network at all, so I have no calls, no texts and no internet and it's pretty much making a mess of things for me right now. The Vodafone and tmobile sims all connect fine when tested in the same phone.

I'm pretty disappointed with Three tbh.
No worries mate.

Ended up ringing them and activating it. Bit strange as every other network seems to work without having to make a costly call from abroad. Nevertheless the unlimited internet they offer is very appealing.
rick77

Depends how you do it. I'm all sorted for my next trip to Oz (he says … Depends how you do it. I'm all sorted for my next trip to Oz (he says now), as I made sure all was good in a 3 shop, face to face. Time will tell, I guess.

Yep you should be fine mate.

I should have rang to confirm this prior to the trip but I've never had to in the past with other networks.

Nevermind. Hope you have a great time in Oz though
Any update on this? Was hoping to finally leave T-Mobile who do offer me worldwide unlimited data inc. tethering for £4/day to Three, but, they don't offer tethering.

I see now o2 offer "unlimited data" with a fair usage of 100mb day for £1.99/day and can also tether which would be a step up given it's 4G data.

Anyone found a better/cheaper option. Can't find that deal with PAYG Three that allows you to use 25GB/month AND tether...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants