Text from Paym - "Somebody tried to send you money..."

Found 24th Mar 2017
Hi, I received the following message from a company called Paym. I looked into the service and it seems to be a way of sending payments using a mobile number.

"Someone has tried to send you money via Paym,the UK’s mobile payment service. To learn more about Paym,contact your bank or building society. Opt-out?Reply STOP"

I was wondering, has someone really tried to send me money or is it a way of getting people to sign up?

Thanks

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
25 Comments

do not reply at all just ignore but check with your bank.

Sounds like a phishing scam to me.

Is it one of those scams to get you to reply to it and then you get charged extortionate amounts for texting it etc.

Whatever it is,it seems like some form of scam.

as others have said its a scam. dont answer text and delete it. 99% of the time anything that says text STOP is a scam

I've used paym before.
Lloyds use it to make payments to your phones contacts you both need to be registered on it to work.
seems like someone has maybe typed the wrong number and put yours unless you are expecting a payment.
Your bank sound be able to help ring them through the official number in case it is a spam txt.
But yeah paym in itself is not a scam

stefromuk

I've used paym before.Lloyds use it to make payments to your phones … I've used paym before.Lloyds use it to make payments to your phones contacts you both need to be registered on it to work.seems like someone has maybe typed the wrong number and put yours unless you are expecting a payment.Your bank sound be able to help ring them through the official number in case it is a spam txt.But yeah paym in itself is not a scam

I know what you're saying but it's the same as those dodgy Paypal ones you get,I've had two really genuine looking ones this weeks saying someone has done a chargeback,of course when I logged into my Paypal account directly not via the email of course there was nothing there.

deb8z

I know what you're saying but it's the same as those dodgy Paypal ones … I know what you're saying but it's the same as those dodgy Paypal ones you get,I've had two really genuine looking ones this weeks saying someone has done a chargeback,of course when I logged into my Paypal account directly not via the email of course there was nothing there.

​Agree not saying it isn't a scam it still could be , just saying paym is a genuine thing so it could possibly be genuine only the back will say.

I've used it plenty of times myself and have received payment. Contact your bank just to make sure.

paym is genuine, however no way for you to know if the text is from them or someone has just written it at the top of the text. if you are expecting money maybe look into it if not for sure dodgy

Why would anybody try to send you free money if you're not aware of it

waterloo

Well said plus if you're not signed up for this service.
You'd have to be a complete idiot to think oh free money I'll give em my details must be genuine oO

SENNYO1

Well said plus if you're not signed up for this service. You'd have to be … Well said plus if you're not signed up for this service. You'd have to be a complete idiot to think oh free money I'll give em my details must be genuine oO

That's not quite right. It is entirely possible, as stated above, that someone who is signed up is trying to send some money somewhere, but typed in the wrong number, so the OP has received the text. The fact that the message says "Someone has tried to send you money" backs up this theory - if the OP isn't signed up to it, they won't be able to receive it.

Further to that, if it was a scam, it's unlikely that the text message would be directing them to contact their bank directly.

See here for more info:

http://www.paym.co.uk/received-a-text/

I believe this is a genuine text, albeit received by the wrong person. Not everything on the internet is a scam. They haven't asked for any details at all, nor have they suggested that the OP should contact them back.

waterloo

Read #5

As #5, probably someone entered the wrong number - transposed two digits etc. The number of calls I used to get with my old landline number where they had transposed 8081 into 8180; at 10p a call I would have been rich.

Doing this is nearly as embarrassing as giving the bribe to the wrong person (I did that in Dubai a few years ago).

miikeyblue

That's not quite right. It is entirely possible, as stated above, that … That's not quite right. It is entirely possible, as stated above, that someone who is signed up is trying to send some money somewhere, but typed in the wrong number, so the OP has received the text. The fact that the message says "Someone has tried to send you money" backs up this theory - if the OP isn't signed up to it, they won't be able to receive it. Further to that, if it was a scam, it's unlikely that the text message would be directing them to contact their bank directly.See here for more info:http://www.paym.co.uk/received-a-text/I believe this is a genuine text, albeit received by the wrong person. Not everything on the internet is a scam. They haven't asked for any details at all, nor have they suggested that the OP should contact them back.

I know it's possible

Op did you find out what this was all about or was it a long lost relative sending you thousands of pounds out of the blue.

Original Poster

Still not sure, i'm not expect any money so i'm tempted to register regardless through the official site.

waterloo

Op did you find out what this was all about or was it a long lost … Op did you find out what this was all about or was it a long lost relative sending you thousands of pounds out of the blue.

He's signing up now to find out X)

Shuffle the words....
born every one minute

Wooderson

Still not sure, i'm not expect any money so i'm tempted to register … Still not sure, i'm not expect any money so i'm tempted to register regardless through the official site.

please don't bother

deb8z

He's signing up now to find out X)

https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder238/73870238.jpg

This is genuine, it works through your banks mobile app, you have to activate it through the app, and you can receive money or send it to someones phone number if they also have it on their phone, the message you received is what you get when someone tries to send money to you but you haven't got it set up

mikey_d

This is genuine, it works through your banks mobile app, you have to … This is genuine, it works through your banks mobile app, you have to activate it through the app, and you can receive money or send it to someones phone number if they also have it on their phone, the message you received is what you get when someone tries to send money to you but you haven't got it set up

Yes all this has been said.

waterloo

Yes all this has been said.

Well, as a few people, you incuded, didn't seem to believe it, I thought I would say it again

I've just received the same text. Do you think it would be a marketing plot to just get more sign ups?

I had one this morning. It's legit. It they say on their site that they are sending out texts. Quote from their website. "We are sending text messages to alert people to register for the service so they can receive payments in future.". As the text states that someone tried to send you money you are naturally going to be curious who PayM are and Google them, hopefully resulting in a sign up via your banks online or mobile banking App.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions