Groups

text from unknown number

Mum got text from 202000, some random sentence that just sounded like someone text to wrong number.

Text back saying who is this and now dad got her worried that she shouldn't of replied. Soooo, anyone know anything about this number? Googling not helping much, giving stuff from 20th *random month* 2000.

Hoping someone here might know something about it so I can reassure her!

14 Comments

That's a new one, a quick Google gives me nothing. What network is she with?

As long as the received text didn't cost anything, I wouldn't worry about it tbh. If it becomes a repeat offense, then look further into it I would say.

What did the message say?

Original Poster

Service provider is Orange

Message said something like 'you need to fill it' was just random sentence so she thought just someone got wrong number.

Dad got her worried someone going to hack on to her sim card or something.

Original Poster

dcx_badass

Thinking it was possibly a premium text number, I'd look out for a … Thinking it was possibly a premium text number, I'd look out for a massive charge on the bill. Why would you text a none standard mobile number. Obviously not a person.

Was just random sentence, so looked like a wrong number. New phone for Xmas, doesn't say number unless you scroll down. No reason to suspect from the message so she just replied, only noticed later

kelly_o_fanatic

Service provider is OrangeMessage said something like 'you need to fill … Service provider is OrangeMessage said something like 'you need to fill it' was just random sentence so she thought just someone got wrong number. Dad got her worried someone going to hack on to her sim card or something.

Ah Orange. Follow emma's link, or save some time and just text Stop to 200000 and this will stop their spam.

Had to do this for the girlfriends mum and worked a treat

(Hence why I asked about the network)

Maybe contact Orange and see if any premium rate charges have been made, it's a farily common scam sending messages which look like a randomer messaging you by mistake but it's a ploy to get you to reply and in effect sign up for premium rate crap and you don't find out until you get your next bill.

Original Poster

Much appreciated very reassuring. Was able to then put bright stuff in Google & find out more.

emmajg

i checked http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk/output/default.aspx but nothing … i checked http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk/output/default.aspx but nothing so checked who calls me and it's listed[url=http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/202000]http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/202000[/url]

kelly_o_fanatic

Service provider is OrangeMessage said something like 'you need to fill … Service provider is OrangeMessage said something like 'you need to fill it' was just random sentence so she thought just someone got wrong number. Dad got her worried someone going to hack on to her sim card or something.

sickly sweet

Maybe contact Orange and see if any premium rate charges have been made, … Maybe contact Orange and see if any premium rate charges have been made, it's a farily common scam sending messages which look like a randomer messaging you by mistake but it's a ploy to get you to reply and in effect sign up for premium rate crap and you don't find out until you get your next bill.

Thanks will do that. Was wondering how to stop all the bloody Orange messages anyway! Gets loads of them. Your help really appreciated

PAYG but will watch credit next few days, thanks for advise.

Thanks everyone mum feeling a lot better! Lol may now be able to get some sleep tonight!
    Edited by: "kelly_o_fanatic" 14th Jan 2011

You shouldn't be charged for those messages from them even on PAYG If you are, give 'em hell!

yes send STOP to number they have to stop. When in work, If I can track the company down via phonepayplus then I call or email them to remove from phone list however they weren't listed
    Edited by: "emmajg" 14th Jan 2011

Banned

yeah dunno why you would text back a number like 202000 asking who it is, if your mother thinks this is a good idea, god knows what kind of things she's signed up to

right done some more googling - it's oranges version of vf freebies and o2 duckies

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sho…378

web.orange.co.uk/p/b…rms

apparently you can opt out of the bright text messages

"Any eligible customer wishing to opt-out of Bright Top Ups can do so at any time by texting 'STOP' to 48000. Opting out of this promotion will not opt you out of all Orange promotions. To do this call 450 and speak to a Customer Services Advisor"

DaveLister

yeah dunno why you would text back a number like 202000 asking who it is, … yeah dunno why you would text back a number like 202000 asking who it is, if your mother thinks this is a good idea, god knows what kind of things she's signed up to

dcx_badass

Thinking it was possibly a premium text number, I'd look out for a … Thinking it was possibly a premium text number, I'd look out for a massive charge on the bill. Why would you text a none standard mobile number. Obviously not a person.

I hope its sorted now OP

Tbh I think its something my Nanna would end up doing too, shes not that familiar with techy type stuff.. I think it took her a year to work out how to text, bless her!
    x

tinkerbell28

My nan "teletext" me on Christmas day......X)

My mum used to think that Teletext was in the Radio Times, I forget how many times she reported that she couldn't find a page 888 for subtitles in the RT.

a good example of why people shouldnt be given mobiles
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Cheap 'smart phone' for child wanted.11
      2. Ps4 slim how much should I charge 2nd hand.813
      3. Sold item on eBay from UK - buyer from USA33
      4. Recommendations for decent/cheap noise cancelling earphones please33

See more discussions