Text message scam!

Posted 16th Aug 2018
I've just received a text message which stated the following:

FreeMsg: Thank you for subscribing to Games Network for £4.50 per week from Noatel until you text STOP to 64055. HELP? 02078552665

I've never even heard of Games Network and to charge £4.50 a week is ludicrous. Seems the 4.50 has been charged to my virgin account - how on earth are they allowed to do this?

Has anyone had any experience, and how to get a refund?
Community Updates
Misc
23 Comments
They will be using Payforit to charge it. Contact Virgin and get them to put a bar on premium rate numbers - if they've taken the money then you should text STOP too. If Virgin refuse to refund (they probably will) then escalate to the PSA.

According to the PSA, this shortcode is registered to FitGuru (mGage), Games-Network, Viral Flick, and Vodafone - Just Giving.
games-network.net/pri…cy/ these?. It's a common scam. You need to text stop and contact your phone company so you don't get anymore texts. Believe it or not. The phone company makes money from it to. I think they do mobile games.
B0ne52 m ago

https://games-network.net/privacy/ these?. It's a common scam. You need to …https://games-network.net/privacy/ these?. It's a common scam. You need to text stop and contact your phone company so you don't get anymore texts. Believe it or not. The phone company makes money from it to. I think they do mobile games.

They do, as they all own the service that they use to charge to mobile (Payforit).
You are not alone, it's one of the biggest scams that seems to go on without any action.
On EE I was scammed also.
Have a read
community.ee.co.uk/t5/…379
Ive had it from the same company, phoned up the company behind it and complained, dude who answered seemed like he was in his front room. Stopped for a while then started again, phoned up O2 and told them to block all premium rate and subscription services. Money is pretty much a right off due to crappy UK law.

here is a website about these scams payforitsucks.co.uk/ref…ds/
Edited by: "catbeans" 17th Aug 2018
I would not reply as you may have get charged plus they know its a live mobile number. Nobody got scammed by doing nothing! Don't reply. Don't talk. Ignore
Edited by: "wayners" 17th Aug 2018
wayners3 m ago

I would not reply as you may have get charged plus they know its a live …I would not reply as you may have get charged plus they know its a live mobile number. Nobody got scammed by doing nothing! Don't reply. Don't talk. Ignore

Agree about not replying but definitely do not ignore as they will keep getting £4.50 every week
wayners10 m ago

I would not reply as you may have get charged plus they know its a live …I would not reply as you may have get charged plus they know its a live mobile number. Nobody got scammed by doing nothing! Don't reply. Don't talk. Ignore

I'm not sure that's good advice. Do nothing and keep getting charged £4.50 a week?
I called Virgin, I definitely got scammed as there was a £4.50 charge on my account.

Virgin sorted it out be refunding me the £4.50 and blocking the number. My fear is though, is that I called the 020 number to cancel this subscription or whatever it is - and as people have mentioned in prior posts, it could simply be to confirm that it's a live number...
Edited by: "HSunny" 17th Aug 2018
HSunny7 m ago

I called Virgin, I definitely got scammed as there was a £4.50 charge on …I called Virgin, I definitely got scammed as there was a £4.50 charge on my account.Virgin sorted it out be refunding me the £4.50 and blocking the number. My fear is though, is that I call the 020 number to cancel this subscription or whatever it is - and as people have mentioned, it could simply be to confirm that it's a live number...

Just ignore it now as virgin have put a block on
Phone virgin and get them to block premium text messages. They will grumble about it as it is a loss of revenue for them. Will prevent this in the future.
deeky33 m ago

I'm not sure that's good advice. Do nothing and keep getting charged £4.50 …I'm not sure that's good advice. Do nothing and keep getting charged £4.50 a week?

So if you text stop you will get charged £2+. That's how the scam works. You lot silly in the head or something. If you never signed up for anything then do nothing. Ignore. If payment dose get taken claim back off bank as a scam. I probably get about 3 of these scam texts and emails a week saying something about a payment or service I applied for. That's because my contact details are on websites. Ignore. Do nothing. Fgs...however if op was charged by virgin and money was definitely.... taken from account get on phone and find out why. Sometimes emails and text appear to show money taken when in fact nothing has been taken for accounts. Scamming is getting very clever. I fear I'll get caught even being on high alert. Its just a matter of time
Edited by: "wayners" 17th Aug 2018
wayners3 m ago

So if you text stop you will get charged £2+. That's how the scam works. …So if you text stop you will get charged £2+. That's how the scam works. You lot silly in the head or something. If you never signed up for anything then do nothing. Ignore. If payment dose get taken claim back of bank as scam. I probably get about 3 of these scam texts and emails a week. That's because my contact details are on websites. Ignore. Do nothing. Fgs...

Have you read any posts on here? The OP already said there was a £4.50 charge on his bill.
deeky6 m ago

Have you read any posts on here? The OP already said there was a £4.50 …Have you read any posts on here? The OP already said there was a £4.50 charge on his bill.

Is it.. sure... If so op should not be here. Should be on phone screaming scam and closing accounts. I'd be going mad
Don’t text STOP as that could mean you accept the charge. I just emailed them and they stopped the weekly charge and texted a refund which you take to the post office for cash.

It’s a massive scam and really needs to be sorted out.
wayners13 m ago

So if you text stop you will get charged £2+. That's how the scam works. …So if you text stop you will get charged £2+. That's how the scam works. You lot silly in the head or something. If you never signed up for anything then do nothing. Ignore. If payment dose get taken claim back off bank as a scam. I probably get about 3 of these scam texts and emails a week saying something about a payment or service I applied for. That's because my contact details are on websites. Ignore. Do nothing. Fgs...however if op was charged by virgin and money was definitely.... taken from account get on phone and find out why. Sometimes emails and text appear to show money taken when in fact nothing has been taken for accounts. Scamming is getting very clever. I fear I'll get caught even being on high alert. Its just a matter of time

If you do that you will keep being charged. You need to read up on it.
wayners1 h, 39 m ago

Is it.. sure... If so op should not be here. Should be on phone screaming …Is it.. sure... If so op should not be here. Should be on phone screaming scam and closing accounts. I'd be going mad

Yup, there was a £4.50 charge on my account - issue is, I don't recollect anything that I've purchased/signed up to out of the ordinary only VPN from socialstacks...

I'm usually careful with these sort of things, but it could be anything from attempting to close a bogus pop-up to not reading a terms and conditions...
Edited by: "HSunny" 17th Aug 2018
HSunny5 h, 40 m ago

Yup, there was a £4.50 charge on my account - issue is, I don't recollect …Yup, there was a £4.50 charge on my account - issue is, I don't recollect anything that I've purchased/signed up to out of the ordinary only VPN from socialstacks...I'm usually careful with these sort of things, but it could be anything from attempting to close a bogus pop-up to not reading a terms and conditions...

It can be as daft as a rogue link in youtube, I had YouTube on my phone and an advert took me to a website and signed me up. I got an alert saying confirming this and I would start paying for it the next day. The message explained how to stop this as this is a legal requirement.

Just called o2 and told them what happened and got them to put a block on using premium SMS serivces. Got told the usual crap about how it limits my ability to buy stuff and charge it to my mobile contract but I trust paypal a lot more than a mobile provider.

Always disable premium services as people are still getting ripped off and these scams are atleast a decade old.
I got the same. Called O2 they gave me a number to call, turned out to be the company behind this, they end it there and then and send u a message about it. then ring 02 and ask them to put a bar on premium rate numbers. Asked if this was a scam on the phone, and no it a company no idea how it go on my phone.
shadokai_34 m ago

I got the same. Called O2 they gave me a number to call, turned out to be …I got the same. Called O2 they gave me a number to call, turned out to be the company behind this, they end it there and then and send u a message about it. then ring 02 and ask them to put a bar on premium rate numbers. Asked if this was a scam on the phone, and no it a company no idea how it go on my phone.

Too late he is now bankrupt.
I was also scammed by Bona Fide Mobile - NLGames - and doubt very much that I will get my money back. I called O2 to find out how the company got my mobile number and signed me up to games I did not subscribe to, and why 02 charged my account without my permission. 02 does not even both to carry out security checks, and they know that such scams exist, they also know about Bona Fide mobile because of the high volume of complaints - surely. Mobile phone companies like 02 are not blameless in this, and by allowing these companies to freely scam customers is complicit in some way. I called Bona Fide Mobile to ask for a refund, ad advised by 02 and the useless PSA, and was blamed for the scam - told i must have signed up for games i i have no interest in for 4.50 per week. Their tactic is to steal by scamming and blame the victims. I was told to email customer services, which would mean the company would then have both my mobile number and email address. I now have to make up an email address in order to contact them in the hope of getting my money back. I rang 02 to register my objection in the way that they treat customers with the standard brush off "we are not responsible for 3rd party purchases" even though they are aware of the problem... Well the agent hung up on me.
facyc913/06/2019 08:07

I was also scammed by Bona Fide Mobile - NLGames - and doubt very much …I was also scammed by Bona Fide Mobile - NLGames - and doubt very much that I will get my money back. I called O2 to find out how the company got my mobile number and signed me up to games I did not subscribe to, and why 02 charged my account without my permission. 02 does not even both to carry out security checks, and they know that such scams exist, they also know about Bona Fide mobile because of the high volume of complaints - surely. Mobile phone companies like 02 are not blameless in this, and by allowing these companies to freely scam customers is complicit in some way. I called Bona Fide Mobile to ask for a refund, ad advised by 02 and the useless PSA, and was blamed for the scam - told i must have signed up for games i i have no interest in for 4.50 per week. Their tactic is to steal by scamming and blame the victims. I was told to email customer services, which would mean the company would then have both my mobile number and email address. I now have to make up an email address in order to contact them in the hope of getting my money back. I rang 02 to register my objection in the way that they treat customers with the standard brush off "we are not responsible for 3rd party purchases" even though they are aware of the problem... Well the agent hung up on me.

Make a formal complaint via Resolver to O2.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants