TfL has denied a licence to Uber

Posted 25th Nov
They will definitely appeal but does anyone think they will win on appeal? London is their biggest market outside the US and it will be a major setback. I won't be surprised if other UK cities follow TfL's lead.

Yes, Uber has had issues but it isn't as if the existing black / mini cab business is lily white. My personal experience with Uber has been excellent, compared to some very dingy black cabs.
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

20 Comments
Moot point really.

The appeal will last for years.
adam_holcombe25/11/2019 11:13

Moot point really. The appeal will last for years.

The appeal will be decided after Sadiq Khan gets re-elected next year.
Don't see the problem with uber. If drivers aren't being paid enough, don't use uber and all club together and write their own system with all the risks and financial burden involved in setting a company up, paying min wage, auto enrollment, VAT, corp tax, insurance , strikes, recruitment, maintenance, and see how they get on.

No? Didn't think so.
jaydeeuk125/11/2019 11:21

Don't see the problem with uber. If drivers aren't being paid enough, …Don't see the problem with uber. If drivers aren't being paid enough, don't use uber and all club together and write their own system with all the risks and financial burden involved in setting a company up, paying min wage, auto enrollment, VAT, corp tax, insurance , strikes, recruitment, maintenance, and see how they get on.No? Didn't think so.

Biggest problem with Uber is their lack of responsibility for their drivers actions. If a driver commits a criminal act then Uber have been poor to act on it.
bozo00725/11/2019 11:21

...compared to some very dingy black cabs.

Probably more realistic to compare Uber to other private hire operations rather than hackney cabs.
jon81uk25/11/2019 11:43

Biggest problem with Uber is their lack of responsibility for their …Biggest problem with Uber is their lack of responsibility for their drivers actions. If a driver commits a criminal act then Uber have been poor to act on it.

Likewise with politicians, banks and car manufacturers, why should uber be made an example of - and these people aren't even employees!?
Edited by: "jaydeeuk1" 25th Nov
There’s no problem with Uber for me. The black cabs near me charge £36 for a 8 mile, single road trip (Manchester to near Bury). If black cabs didn’t try to rip customers off then they wouldn’t have any competition in Uber.
Surely Uber cant last much longer with losses of over €5Billion with a revenue of just €3Billion in 3 months! How do they manage to spend €90,000,000 per day?
jaydeeuk125/11/2019 11:21

Don't see the problem with uber. If drivers aren't being paid enough, …Don't see the problem with uber. If drivers aren't being paid enough, don't use uber and all club together and write their own system with all the risks and financial burden involved in setting a company up, paying min wage, auto enrollment, VAT, corp tax, insurance , strikes, recruitment, maintenance, and see how they get on.No? Didn't think so.

Mega-problems with Uber, their business model and their executives do not want to close the serious problematic loopholes regarding safety and security.
davidrowlands8925/11/2019 12:03

There’s no problem with Uber for me. The black cabs near me charge £36 for …There’s no problem with Uber for me. The black cabs near me charge £36 for a 8 mile, single road trip (Manchester to near Bury). If black cabs didn’t try to rip customers off then they wouldn’t have any competition in Uber.

Black Cab prices are generally set by the local authority. TfL set the London black cab prices.
Uber is only cheap because they aren't making a profit and many of their drivers actually make under minimum wage once all costs taken into account.
Add together the costs of running a vehicle, paying a driver a decent wage, paying tax and everything else and its all adds up quite quickly.
jaydeeuk125/11/2019 11:47

Likewise with politicians, banks and car manufacturers, why should uber be …Likewise with politicians, banks and car manufacturers, why should uber be made an example of - and these people aren't even employees!?

Them not being employees is one of the biggest issues. With most companies if a member of staff committed a crime the business would pass over all details to the police. Uber seem to have problems with being able to do this.
I also don't think Bank and car manufacturing staff go around abusing their customers?
bozo00725/11/2019 11:21

The appeal will be decided after Sadiq Khan gets re-elected next year.

Don’t think hes getting re-elected
davidrowlands8925/11/2019 12:03

There’s no problem with Uber for me. The black cabs near me charge £36 for …There’s no problem with Uber for me. The black cabs near me charge £36 for a 8 mile, single road trip (Manchester to near Bury). If black cabs didn’t try to rip customers off then they wouldn’t have any competition in Uber.

Hackney cab fares in that area are regulated by Manchester City Council. A typical 8 miles journey may be £17/£18 metered, excluding any wait time. Not sure how that compares to any private hire option, Uber or other. If the hackney journey terminates outside the council-controlled boundary:
"...the fare should be negotiated with the driver before commencement of the journey. If the fare is not negotiated before commencement, the meter fare ONLY should be charged"
manchester.gov.uk/dow…pdf
Are you suggesting the hackney driver(s) tamper with the meter?
I'm thrilled that the authorities have finally awoken to the danger that firms like Uber pose to society.
If they paid their way then there would be a place for them.

They never will, though. They're a filthy cancerous blight.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out Travis.
Edited by: "Make.Amazon.Great.Again" 25th Nov
I've only used Uber twice and both times the driver had no idea where he was going and spent the first 5 minutes staring at his phones navigation display which I could see was directing them on the fastest but longest and therefore I imagine the more expensive route.
Once I started helping with directions the journey became less stressful though!
In central London satnav isn’t anywhere near the same service as jumping in a black cab. I don’t know how many times Uber will be allowed to tweak their systems in attempt to get it right but if a suspended driver can seemingly get re-registered then something is really wrong

Cheap travel should not be at the expense of passenger safety and poor working conditions

Uber is a mini cab company not an app, and unless they are forced to operate under those conditions nothing will change
Edited by: "OllieSt" 25th Nov
Uber only got a foot hold due to the belligerence of London black cab drivers.
The issue was after 2am at the weekend’s there were not enough Black cabs to go around.
A motion was tabled to let yellow badges enter London after 11.59pm and take up the slack at weekends.
Green badgers said no way.
Thus letting Uber get a foot hold.
Also Uber have been fighting this decision for over 3 years now.
AndyRoyd25/11/2019 15:01

Hackney cab fares in that area are regulated by Manchester City Council. …Hackney cab fares in that area are regulated by Manchester City Council. A typical 8 miles journey may be £17/£18 metered, excluding any wait time. Not sure how that compares to any private hire option, Uber or other. If the hackney journey terminates outside the council-controlled boundary: "...the fare should be negotiated with the driver before commencement of the journey. If the fare is not negotiated before commencement, the meter fare ONLY should be charged"https://www.manchester.gov.uk/download/downloads/id/15841/hackney_carriage_fare_card.pdf?Are you suggesting the hackney driver(s) tamper with the meter?

Well steroid, that was passive aggressive.

No, the hackney drivers have a laminated piece of card now which they give out and from Manchester centre to Bury is £36 fixed fare. They won’t do it on the meter as you say ‘it’s out of the boundaries’ despite it being 8 miles.
davidrowlands8925/11/2019 19:56

Well steroid, that was passive aggressive.No, the hackney drivers have a …Well steroid, that was passive aggressive.No, the hackney drivers have a laminated piece of card now which they give out and from Manchester centre to Bury is £36 fixed fare. They won’t do it on the meter as you say ‘it’s out of the boundaries’ despite it being 8 miles.

I assume you mean the hackney driver actively chooses not to use the meter as there is no obligation to do so if the customer agrees (accepts) the stated fixed fee prior to commencing the out-of-boundary journey. Customer's choice to accept the pre-journey stated fee or not. Is there a shortage of taxis of any description in that area? Seems an ideal location for any private hire operation to market its services.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions