Groups

That Can't be right, Brummies have the ugliest accent in Britain....

According to a YouGov poll the beautiful Brummie accent is the least attractive of the 12 main accents of the British Isles.

A poll conducted by YouGov found that 67% of those surveyed thought the dialect of the West Midlands city was unattractive while just 14% deemed it attractive, giving it a net score of -52, 20 points below Scouse the second-lowest.

88 Comments

Original Poster

https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/119.png

Yow mustav gut it rung theya, arr kid

sounds about right

Received Pronunciation (RP) is regarded as the standard accent of Standard English in the United Kingdom
    Seems Legit
    Edited by: "NinurtaEnki" 11th Dec 2014

No Cornish?

Well Im pleased us Geordies have made it on there! Howay the lasses! X)

Holley moley, born of Scouse parents, having spent 10+ years in Birmingham I'm in trouble. Thank heaven my lovely boy has an Rp accent.
    Edited by: "Henvig" 11th Dec 2014

Southern Irish is most attractive? Bleedin' Jaysus give me a break.

What in the heck is "received pronunciation"?

No Bristol cider drinking listed I'm happily in the 20% category.

I speak to lots of people across the UK as part of my job (I'm not a cold caller/telesales btw, just to avoid that one). What I like is when you get hybrid accents. My fave is Asian Glaswegians, nothing against the people themselves however good luck trying to hold a 2 minute conversation without saying "Sorry, what?" at least 6 times. Maybe they had an allergic reaction to deep-fried pizza.

DragonChris

Southern Irish is most attractive? Bleedin' Jaysus give me a break.What … Southern Irish is most attractive? Bleedin' Jaysus give me a break.What in the heck is "received pronunciation"?

The pronunciation your parent's gave you????

Could they be top because we don't understand them :-/
    The reason I ask is that Welsh are 3rd highest as well lol.

Yam arright bab ?

Angel_Of_The_North

Well Im pleased us Geordies have made it on there! Howay the lasses! X)

Geordie birds
    http://reactiongifs.me/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/bill-cosby-mn-dreaming.gif

deeky

Geordie birds

https://media.giphy.com/media/5xtDarHdj6c5Ix7GaOY/giphy.gif

OldEnglish

Who's put this Tizer on my nice clean table! X)

Brilliant. Not seen that in ages.

Yay I have the 2nd best

OldEnglish

Who's put this Tizer on my nice clean table! X)

X)

Mark2111

Brilliant. Not seen that in ages.

No Mark i haven't.
    Edited by: "OldEnglish" 11th Dec 2014

hmm thought aberdeen was supposed to have best accent, seem to remember that from ages ago anyway?
    i guess if you put the 12 most common then you wont get the best ... you'll just get the common.

Edited by: "brilly" 11th Dec 2014

Nottingham didn't even get a mention? oO

Banned

I remember TV in the 70s when everyone spoke nicely with a correct middle English accent.

Then they went regional accent crazy for some reason to appease the minorities as always.

Everyone understands middle English (received pronunciation), not everyone can make sense of a Geordie or Scouser.

Makes sense to stick to middle English on TV and Radio, shame those days are gone.

Musician

I remember TV in the 70s when everyone spoke nicely with a correct middle … I remember TV in the 70s when everyone spoke nicely with a correct middle English accent. Then they went regional accent crazy for some reason to appease the minorities as always.Everyone understands middle English (received pronunciation), not everyone can make sense of a Geordie or Scouser. Makes sense to stick to middle English on TV and Radio, shame those days are gone.

'appease the minorities'

I think you mean majority, as the majority of people in the UK don't talk with a 'middle English' accent
    Edited by: "RossD89" 11th Dec 2014

biddilybah

Nottingham didn't even get a mention? oO

http://gifsec.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/HAHA-GIF.gif

I'm Welsh and hate my accent. The other two I dislike more are Liverpool and Newcastle accents...... they are like chalk screaming down the blackboard ... or chewing on a wet acrylic jumper......

Angel_Of_The_North

Hater gonna hate.

grooty

I'm Welsh and hate my accent. The other two I dislike more are Liverpool … I'm Welsh and hate my accent. The other two I dislike more are Liverpool and Newcastle accents...... they are like chalk screaming down the blackboard ... or chewing on a wet acrylic jumper......

http://c1.thejournal.ie/media/2014/03/ariel-huff.gif

Angel_Of_The_North

Serves you right! X)

biddilybah

Serves you right! X)

http://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lsei53J1yE1ql141xo1_250.gif
    Who pee'd in your Cheerio's this morning?
    Edited by: "Angel_Of_The_North" 11th Dec 2014

RossD89

'appease the minorities'I think you mean majority, as the majority of … 'appease the minorities'I think you mean majority, as the majority of people in the UK don't talk with a 'middle English' accent

they are in the minority in terms of being understandable
    they are a majority only as mass of minorities

Bristol people have terrible accents .. far worse than birmingham

Angel_Of_The_North

Who pee'd in your Cheerio's this morning?

Biggles.

X)
    Edited by: "Biddy2" 11th Dec 2014

Banned

RossD89

'appease the minorities'I think you mean majority, as the majority of … 'appease the minorities'I think you mean majority, as the majority of people in the UK don't talk with a 'middle English' accent

No, I meant minorities, individually (scouse, geordie, northern etc) they are minorities.

love welsh accent, really dirty

Yorkshire's irritating. Mancunian's far more tolerable than 'the Leeds accent'

haritori

love welsh accent, really dirty

Yes,we are. (_;)

grooty

Yes,we are. (_;)

Have a bath then. X)

Banned

RossD89

Here you go Ross an example for you on how English should sound on TV and Radio:

youtube.com/wat…M9I

Musician

Here you go Ross an example for you on how English should sound on TV and … Here you go Ross an example for you on how English should sound on TV and Radio:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zy4EoPyM9I

An example of how you would like English to be spoken on TV and radio. There's nothing wrong with regional accents being broadcast.

Edit: Unless it's mine... Eurgh!! X)

Anyway, each to their own

Edited by: "RossD89" 11th Dec 2014

Just to clarify, the Brummie accent is not the same as the West Brom, Black Country or Dudley accent as is often the case!

I'm sick and tired of people doing an impression of a Brummie accent by using the most ridiculous Black Country (and sometimes Scouse) accent, and then trying to tell us that we don't sound Brummie because we don't sound like their impression.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Cool kettle Bosch kettle cashback won't work. Help!22
      2. Question for electrician on bathroom fan45
      3. Cheapest way to obtain Microsoft Office?45
      4. To buy Iphone 611

See more discussions