Groups

The 2009/2010 Premiership Football Thread (Opinions/Rants/Moans/Gloating etc)

mod
    Thought it might be a good idea to have a general Premiership Football thread, to have chin wag about the whole season as it unfolds. Be interesting to see what people think will happen/how the season unfolds/sackings/scandals etc and then when we hit the tail end look back and see how wrong we all were.

Goes without saying but, please keep on topic.

I'll start with my thoughts/rants in post below

(only rule is - no nastiness (banter/opinions essential but no crowd trouble please))

108 Comments

Original Poster mod

OK; decent start (and then some) by Arsenal. Chelsea have had a good start also. But both as expected. Big shout to both Spurs and Man City (for a cracking start also; and both look capable of gate crashing the top 4). Man United – lacking something after Ronaldo’s departure; but they are gonna be there or thereabouts at the end of the season. Liverpool; hmmm, jury’s out. I still think Benitez aint all he’s cracked up to be. Sunderland and without a doubt Burnley deserve some praise for their cracking kick off to the new season.

And so, on to my “P45” of the month – David Moyes

What was he thinking of not selling Lescott to Man City sooner? Big mistake IMO. Limited funds at Everton and the £22/24 million could have bought some decent players to improve the squad. So, they go and lose their opening games (Arsenal/Burnley) ‘cos the team is in disarray aparantley and with a only a few days to go before the transfer window shuts he now decides to let Lescott go. Why not sell him in June when City first came knocking? Stubbornness/Pride?? All backfired now as he is on his way to City and Everton are a wee bit of a mess. They aint gonna get relegated though. I’m sure that goes to Portsmouth; Hull City and one from (Wolves/Birmingham/Stoke City).

My top 4 (in alphabetical order) Arsenal; Chelsea; Manchester City; Manchester United.

Yup; no Liverpool. Like I say – if Benitez was half the manager he believed he was then Liverpool would be Premiership winners by now.

So, a bit of food for thought; and like I say; let’s see how wrong I am (and I’m sure all of us are) by the end of the season.

Spl For The Win!!!!

and spurs for the title

burnley sitting 7th!!!

odds are 10000 - 1 to win prem - well they were!!

Original Poster mod

scotland88;6099015

Spl For The Win!!!!

Straight in with the off topic post. Mate; start a SPL thread

Banned

andywedge;6099011

And so, on to my “P45” of the month – David Moyes

Unsettled players cause problems. Just look at the start Spurs had last year and the sulking SOB Berbatov.

City caused Ars*nals victory at Goodison.

holly100;6099034

burnley sitting 7th!!!odds are 10000 - 1 to win prem - well they were!!

If memory serves me correctly Hull weres sitting 7th after 3 games last year and a lot of good it did them... even West Brom have made the heady heights of 7th only to be relegated..!

Original Poster mod

holly100;6099034

burnley sitting 7th!!!odds are 10000 - 1 to win prem - well they were!!

I always fancied Burnley to do OK this season. They had a few good results against Premiership teams last season in the 2 cup competitions. Also, the team who comes up via the play offs in recent years tend to fare a bit better than the two automatically promoted teams. I do think Burnley will survive. But only in the bottom 8 rather than top 8

Yup; no Liverpool. Like I say – if Benitez was half the manager he believed he was then Liverpool would be Premiership winners by now.

May i suggest you check out what Benitez has won at Anfield?

Original Poster mod

guv;6099071

Unsettled players cause problems. Just look at the start Spurs had last … Unsettled players cause problems. Just look at the start Spurs had last year and the sulking SOB Berbatov.City caused Ars*nals victory at Goodison.

And wasn't it a change of manager and the 2nd half of the season that saw Spurs' change in fortunes? I do think the same is gonna happen at Goodison

Original Poster mod

keithcrewe;6099214

Yup; no Liverpool. Like I say – if Benitez was half the manager he b … Yup; no Liverpool. Like I say – if Benitez was half the manager he believed he was then Liverpool would be Premiership winners by now. May i suggest you check out what Benitez has won at Anfield?

Not the Premiership. I'm well aware of what he can do in Cup competitions but in a marathon he can't hack it. Plays to negatively for long periods of the season.

Banned

andywedge;6099222

And wasn't it a change of manager and the 2nd half of the season that saw … And wasn't it a change of manager and the 2nd half of the season that saw Spurs' change in fortunes? I do think the same is gonna happen at Goodison

I said it cos I can see the similarities. Bottom with 0 points... loss of confidence.

It wasn't until November we had our current total last season! I'm sitting smug atm - but Im not stupid enough to hype and predict winning the league or top 4. Wait and see is my way.

Banned

Why the **** havent Villa signed more players??????

Original Poster mod

guv;6099264

I said it cos I can see the similarities. Bottom with 0 points... loss of … I said it cos I can see the similarities. Bottom with 0 points... loss of confidence.It wasn't until November we had our current total last season! I'm sitting smug atm - but Im not stupid enough to hype and predict winning the league or top 4. Wait and see is my way.

I must admit I am really looking forward to the Spurs / Man City clashes this season. We've never really got on with each other (1981 and so on) but I am sure that the two teams that are gonna be pushing the top 4 this season are City/Spurs. Harry is one helluva manager and a modern day Brian Clough (by that I mean - ignored by England when he is clearly the man for the job). Anyway, both City and Spurs have great squads this season. Harry is a better manager than Sparky but I think City's cash will pip Spurs to that top 4 spot. But I would love to see both Spurs and City in the top 4; which is a great possibility, as we have both got stronger in the summer, whilst I aint seen any strengthening by the "big 4" of any note

andywedge;6099011

OK; decent start (and then some) by Arsenal. Chelsea have had a good … OK; decent start (and then some) by Arsenal. Chelsea have had a good start also. But both as expected. Big shout to both Spurs and Man City (for a cracking start also; and both look capable of gate crashing the top 4). Man United – lacking something after Ronaldo’s departure; but they are gonna be there or thereabouts at the end of the season. Liverpool; hmmm, jury’s out. I still think Benitez aint all he’s cracked up to be. Sunderland and without a doubt Burnley deserve some praise for their cracking kick off to the new season.And so, on to my “P45” of the month – David MoyesWhat was he thinking of not selling Lescott to Man City sooner? Big mistake IMO. Limited funds at Everton and the £22/24 million could have bought some decent players to improve the squad. So, they go and lose their opening games (Arsenal/Burnley) ‘cos the team is in disarray aparantley and with a only a few days to go before the transfer window shuts he now decides to let Lescott go. Why not sell him in June when City first came knocking? Stubbornness/Pride?? All backfired now as he is on his way to City and Everton are a wee bit of a mess. They aint gonna get relegated though. I’m sure that goes to Portsmouth; Hull City and one from (Wolves/Birmingham/Stoke City). My top 4 (in alphabetical order) Arsenal; Chelsea; Manchester City; Manchester United.Yup; no Liverpool. Like I say – if Benitez was half the manager he believed he was then Liverpool would be Premiership winners by now. So, a bit of food for thought; and like I say; let’s see how wrong I am (and I’m sure all of us are) by the end of the season.

I actually back this top 4... Liverpool without Gerrard or Tores for any length of time (and it will happen) are poor.

i agree with most of what ur saying andy but i dnt think the top 4 will be broken this season, maybe next whn man city put together a proper team and stop buying players puely on their reputauion regardless of their position, theyve got to many players contesting for too few spots which will eventually become a big problem imo

what u think bout liverpools new signing, im a rangers fan too aswell as liverpool and kyriakos (sp lol) was a legend among the fans lol, i think he will be a good player forr us

Banned

ODB_69;6099336

Small club?

andywedge;6099351

I must admit I am really looking forward to the Spurs / Man City clashes … I must admit I am really looking forward to the Spurs / Man City clashes this season. We've never really got on with each other (1981 and so on) but I am sure that the two teams that are gonna be pushing the top 4 this season are City/Spurs. Harry is one helluva manager and a modern day Brian Clough (by that I mean - ignored by England when he is clearly the man for the job). Anyway, both City and Spurs have great squads this season. Harry is a better manager than Sparky but I think City's cash will pip Spurs to that top 4 spot. But I would love to see both Spurs and City in the top 4; which is a great possibility, as we have both got stronger in the summer, whilst I aint seen any strengthening by the "big 4" of any note

I wasnt aware of any "getting on" problems. Ive always quite liked Citeh...... and there were barren times in between Villa's wonder goal! You sure its not just a case of we always beat ya?

Baring in mind the only teams challenging for a top 4 spot last season were Villa and Everton, I cant see either in that same position this year, so yes, it will be left for Spurs or City. It would be great to gatecrash, but I dont think Spurs will if Im being honest. However, it certainly could happen. Not being in Europe is going to help both clubs.

Banned

guv;6099448

Small club?.

:x from a spurs fan?!

Banned

ODB_69;6099479

We've got considerably more wonga than yawl.

Youve said it yourself.... you never buy anyone. Spurs are relatively healthy financially - and spend big EVERY year.

Original Poster mod

guv;6099448

Small club?I wasnt aware of any "getting on" problems. Ive always quite … Small club?I wasnt aware of any "getting on" problems. Ive always quite liked Citeh...... and there were barren times in between Villa's wonder goal! You sure its not just a case of we always beat ya?Baring in mind the only teams challenging for a top 4 spot last season were Villa and Everton, I cant see either in that same position this year, so yes, it will be left for Spurs or City. It would be great to gatecrash, but I dont think Spurs will if Im being honest. However, it certainly could happen. Not being in Europe is going to help both clubs.

City V Spurs matches
    You aint aware cos you always win them :-D (Cup games anyway) . I always wince at a Spurs V City out of the hat.
    Only one that I can recall we won is a few years ago. FA Cup. Spurs 3-0 up at half time. Barton got sent off at half time for "agressive walking" . And then 10 man City went and won it 4-3. Crazy game. Got the DVD to watch when I'm feeling low (only the 2nd half though).
    Both City and Spurs are teams of a similar stature. Big(ish) clubs with a bigger history. Potential to do better.
    And this season I think we will both do well, and at the expense of other "big" clubs.

If Moyes does get the chop, who the hell will they get in to replace him?

guv;6099499

We've got considerably more wonga than yawl.Youve said it yourself.... … We've got considerably more wonga than yawl.Youve said it yourself.... you never buy anyone. Spurs are relatively healthy financially - and spend big EVERY year.

what do they honestly do with it tho? 1 carling cup win? spurs are like holland, best team to never do anything!
    coming from some1 who wants spurs to win the league btw only cos of 'arry tho

scotland88;6099630

what do they honestly do with it tho? 1 carling cup win? spurs are like … what do they honestly do with it tho? 1 carling cup win? spurs are like holland, best team to never do anything! coming from some1 who wants spurs to win the league btw only cos of 'arry tho

oooooo i think the scottish national team might have something to say about that :lol:, were no the best and dont claim to be by any measure but we can beat teams like france and play well against the big teams like we proved in euro 08 quali but when it comes to the wee matches tht we have to win, gerogia before euro 08 and norway the other week you can guarantee we are going to eff it up :lol:

micoo;6099655

oooooo i think the scottish national team might have something to say … oooooo i think the scottish national team might have something to say about that :lol:, were no the best and dont claim to be by any measure but we can beat teams like france and play well against the big teams like we proved in euro 08 quali but when it comes to the wee matches tht we have to win, gerogia before euro 08 and norway the other week you can guarantee we are going to eff it up :lol:

mate don't get me wrong I LOVE Scotland! go to every home game and never miss a match on the tv! but were defo not as good as teams like holland, spain, or the likes.

Tbh france have been nothing since euro 2000, and Italy i really dont know how they won the world cup cos we were far superior to them! i just mean a team like holland with the players they have and the way the play should be winning or atleast in the finals of most major tournaments.

Spurs are a mediocre team, who spend TONS on mediocre players tbh! they dont have the prestige of a big 4 club. Sunderland spend millions aswell and do nothing! just cos they have the money doesnt make them a bigger or better club is all im saying

scotland88;6099713

mate don't get me wrong I LOVE Scotland! go to every home game and never … mate don't get me wrong I LOVE Scotland! go to every home game and never miss a match on the tv! but were defo not as good as teams like holland, spain, or the likes.Tbh france have been nothing since euro 2000, and Italy i really dont know how they won the world cup cos we were far superior to them! i just mean a team like holland with the players they have and the way the play should be winning or atleast in the finals of most major tournaments.Spurs are a mediocre team, who spend TONS on mediocre players tbh! they dont have the prestige of a big 4 club. Sunderland spend millions aswell and do nothing! just cos they have the money doesnt make them a bigger or better club is all im saying

ye i agree but cmon our national team is quite funny, we beat france twice, who were not as good as they used to be but still good, we nearly beat italy to qualify for euro 08 then we screw it all up against teams like norway :lol: it happens so often its just funny now :lol:

Banned

ODB_69;6099336

i think that may have something to do with you taking Delph off our hands and handing over "undisclosed" sum to master bates:) doesnt suprise me that hes taken every penny yoh have or had:-D

its gonna be interseting season this 1, as it look like nothing is sure so far this season with the results pannng out the way they have . i disagree with moyes getting his p45 tho and i think he got quite a bit extra from the initial offer from man city from holding out didnt he? although i think he was hoping wescott would stay or could make him stay ha .......cost em dearly so far anyways

Original Poster mod

casparwhite;6099839

i think that may have something to do with you taking Delph off our hands … i think that may have something to do with you taking Delph off our hands and handing over "undisclosed" sum to master bates:) doesnt suprise me that hes taken every penny yoh have or had:-Dits gonna be interseting season this 1, as it look like nothing is sure so far this season with the results pannng out the way they have . i disagree with moyes getting his p45 tho and i think he got quite a bit extra from the initial offer from man city from holding out didnt he? although i think he was hoping wescott would stay or could make him stay ha .......cost em dearly so far anyways

By P45 of the month I'm only joshing that he will get the boot .He won't get the boot. Everton board are too loyal.Next month it will be Sam Alardyce or someone else cos they aint won a game for three or four weeks. But that is how the Premiership is these days. Moyes will get till December I reckon

Banned

andywedge;6099877

By P45 of the month I'm only joshing that he will get the boot .He won't … By P45 of the month I'm only joshing that he will get the boot .He won't get the boot. Everton board are too loyal.Next month it will be Sam Alardyce or someone else cos they aint won a game for three or four weeks. But that is how the Premiership is these days. Moyes will get till December I reckon

i did realise that......maybe my wording was wrong .:).....it would be pretty hard to find another manager that has done what he has with everton with limited funds.....be mad to keep changing managers especially if you dont have the funds of chelsea or man u!!!! thats where the real pressure is....there are no excuses for not getting results when you can buy your dream team for real

Banned

scotland88;6099630

what do they honestly do with it tho? 1 carling cup win? spurs are like … what do they honestly do with it tho? 1 carling cup win? spurs are like holland, best team to never do anything! coming from some1 who wants spurs to win the league btw only cos of 'arry tho

scotland88;6099713

Spurs are a mediocre team, who spend TONS on mediocre players tbh! they … Spurs are a mediocre team, who spend TONS on mediocre players tbh! they dont have the prestige of a big 4 club. Sunderland spend millions aswell and do nothing! just cos they have the money doesnt make them a bigger or better club is all im saying

I can't argue that Spurs have under achieved. It's a fact. However, when talking about club size, you need to factor History, finances, fan base, past trophies. Its not just about the last season. For instance. Spurs have won more trophies in Europe than both Chelsea and Arsenal. Chelsea have only relatively recently (and in the main from finances from Abromovich) climbed into this top bracket. It might currently be called "big 4" - but prior to that, it was big 5. That consisted of Man U, Liverpool, Everton, Spurs and Ars*nal.

Oh and Andywedge...... City have never had the same stature as Spurs. Not saying they are not a big club - but any team that gets relegated to the lower leagues cant be taken too seriously.

ODB_69;6099336

because ur crap ;-)

morning odb :thumbsup:

Odd start to the season

Burnley....are just this seasons hull
    Speaking of the tigers.....We managed to at least get a win.....phew
    A couple of cracking signings and a loan that are really going to shine.

Liverpool to win 2-0 tonight ........ kuyt and torres.

Original Poster mod

smithyp1;6104176

Cheers for that; totally missed the footy tonight
    Glad Torres scored - he's my FF captain
    Dire start to the new season for the Villa though
    Guessing by your avatar I bet you are gutted :whistling:

Original Poster mod

smithyp1;6104176

Aston Villa produced an outstanding defensive display to secure their … Aston Villa produced an outstanding defensive display to secure their first win against Liverpool in eight years as Rafael Benitez's side continued their stuttering start to the new Premier League campaign.

Blimey 3-1 to Villa at Anfield

Bet your chuffed with that result

Liverpool fans where are you?

BTW - I hear they are making a movie "Liverpool - The Benitez Years" and Peter Kay is taking the lead role

smithyp1;6104176

Whoops! Bet you didn't expect that :thumbsup:

Banned

andywedge;6108913

Blimey 3-1 to Villa at AnfieldBet your chuffed with that resultLiverpool … Blimey 3-1 to Villa at AnfieldBet your chuffed with that resultLiverpool fans where are you?BTW - I hear they are making a movie "Liverpool - The Benitez Years" and Peter Kay is taking the lead role

wow....go the villa, another club winning with our leeds academy stars....bit like spurs

benitez gotta be worried now....lol @ peter kaye....comedy genius

http://3mb.us/images/466_eddieleftfoot.gif

guv;6099448

Small club?

ODB_69;6099479

Now I hate Villa nore than most but...

en.wikipedia.org/wik…won

You may have had more success in europe but overall you're still below villa in the honours table and your average league position over the last 20 seasons in a shocking 10th...

I'd take the Dingles winning the prem to see you lot relegated alongside everton!

EDIT : And that europe success is the waffa cup... even we wouldn't boast about that!

avfc456;6108985

Whoops! Bet you didn't expect that :thumbsup:

nope, who did?!!

villa up and running, liverpool struggling..........

It's going to be a funny old season !!

Its going to be a wierd season. Don't think anyone can say whos going to win it.

Banned

Flodd;6112347

Now I hate Villa nore than most … Now I hate Villa nore than most but...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_football_clubs_in_England_by_major_honours_wonYou may have had more success in europe but overall you're still below villa in the honours table and your average league position over the last 20 seasons in a shocking 10th...I'd take the Dingles winning the prem to see you lot relegated alongside everton!EDIT : And that europe success is the waffa cup... even we wouldn't boast about that!

Did you miss that bit about Division 3 or lack of funds? Its also interesting to view "last trophy"

I can't believe Liverpool lost that match. - or should I say Vilal won it! It's wrecked my chances at the fantasy league! Reina letting in 3 and getting a yellow card!

Spurs are doing well - but I am not holding my breath. I hate the christmas festivities when they eat too many pies and seem to get sluggish for about 6 weeks.

Of course, Whilst not holding my breath - I am crossing my fingers, legs eyes....
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Nightmare with BT over Broadband44
      2. Unexpected house guest query (Ratatouille)33
      3. Ditched Sky1012
      4. Ap on iPhone ios1122

See more discussions