The 20mph in town speed limits

Posted 27th Oct
Just wanted every driver out there to know that neither the Police or local councils can enforce the 20mph speed limits that we are starting to see everywhere. They may have the big 20 painted on the road, but they have no authority yet. The only place you should do 20mph is near Schools (during term time).
It is so annoying being stuck behind a driver doing 19mph, or exactly 20mph. I'm sure it causes more accidents. Spread the word
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
azzy12927/10/2019 01:29

20mph is too slow, and here's another angle.. if you drive a manual car …20mph is too slow, and here's another angle.. if you drive a manual car what is the appropriate gear for that kind of speed (20mph)? is it 2nd or 3rd? you risk overworking your engine or going into a higher gear not appropriate for the speed and proper control

Singularly the most ludicrous comment I have seen on this forum for quite some time.
In the thread, the OP doesn’t understand that speed limits are put in place to keep them and others safe.

Apparently, sticking to those speed limits causes accidents and not the impatient people like the OP breaking them. Hmm.
Or you could just obey the speed limit because it's 20 for a reason and then you're guaranteed not to get a ticket or go to court to defend your case on the basis that you read it on the Internet.
Merry00027/10/2019 00:15

So if there’s a speed camera and you do 25mph for an example.. what will b …So if there’s a speed camera and you do 25mph for an example.. what will be your grounds for appeal?

"azzy129 on HUKD said it was fine."
69 Comments
Where I live they have correctly formatted signs (red circle with white interior and black 20). Are these enforceable and what is the source please.
Om my driving course we were clearly told road marking are legal and have to be followed, dont think I would try this out in court. They cant put a speed for term time and non-term time as drivers will never know thats crazy.
So if there’s a speed camera and you do 25mph for an example.. what will be your grounds for appeal?

So if there’s a speed camera and you do 25mph for an example.. what will b …So if there’s a speed camera and you do 25mph for an example.. what will be your grounds for appeal?

You were being chased by a flamedeer trader who wanted your gold ones.
Ok.. take out the term time bit. I thought common sense would prevail.

The 20 road markings I am referring to have the circle sign posts too. My source is word of mouth from living and driving in a major capital city.. aka London

I refer you to the common sense bit
azzy12927/10/2019 00:19

I refer you to the common sense bit

I do get your point and I do agree with you. But they won’t care about what we think.. We have to agree with the laws....
In the thread, the OP doesn’t understand that speed limits are put in place to keep them and others safe.

Apparently, sticking to those speed limits causes accidents and not the impatient people like the OP breaking them. Hmm.
I worry about breaking speed limits on my bicycle. I can't tell what speed I'm going, if 20 becomes common then I know I easily can surpass this on my velocipede.
Edited by: "mogsog" 27th Oct
azzy12927/10/2019 00:18

Ok.. take out the term time bit. I thought common sense would prevail.The …Ok.. take out the term time bit. I thought common sense would prevail.The 20 road markings I am referring to have the circle sign posts too. My source is word of mouth from living and driving in a major capital city.. aka London

If you believe common sense would prevail, why post? If it asks for 20, stick to 20. It’s usually used in built up areas, lots of pedestrians, kids playing, cars parked. If you’re a respectful driver, think of the idiots they are trying to protect you from!
Or you could just obey the speed limit because it's 20 for a reason and then you're guaranteed not to get a ticket or go to court to defend your case on the basis that you read it on the Internet.

Ok.. take out the term time bit. I thought common sense would prevail.The …Ok.. take out the term time bit. I thought common sense would prevail.The 20 road markings I am referring to have the circle sign posts too. My source is word of mouth from living and driving in a major capital city.. aka London

Don't try it in Lancashire council areas: "The 20mph speed limits can and will be enforced in the same way that any other speed limit is. We are working closely with the police, and enforcement will take place in the same way it does on any other road..."
lancashire.gov.uk/cou…as/
They are official road signs and as such are enforceable. And there for a reason!

You have no official source of information and no legal proof to support your claim that you can speed legally in these areas and your here telling people to do it for some reason.
If the police pull you over and ask why your breaking the limit, your reply is my mates told me the speed limit signs dont matter and they live in London. And your talking about common sense
WardyGTC among others makes sense. In some areas it _might_ not be impossible to challenge them although I’d _never_ risk it without firm applicable precedent. From more reasonable viewpoints however, a slight frustration at 19mph is inconsequential to irreversible consequences from speeding. Had this been about motorways... but in town I have to contradict the OP.

"azzy129 on HUKD said it was fine."
20mph is too slow, and here's another angle.. if you drive a manual car what is the appropriate gear for that kind of speed (20mph)? is it 2nd or 3rd? you risk overworking your engine or going into a higher gear not appropriate for the speed and proper control

20mph is too slow, and here's another angle.. if you drive a manual car …20mph is too slow, and here's another angle.. if you drive a manual car what is the appropriate gear for that kind of speed (20mph)? is it 2nd or 3rd? you risk overworking your engine or going into a higher gear not appropriate for the speed and proper control

As long as not uphill then 3rd gear should be fine for 20mph. The question is would you rather your child or family member was hot by a car travelling as 30mph or 20mph. Be patient and keep your blood pressure down. It is probably only going to make at most 30 seconds on your journey time.

Singularly the most ludicrous comment I have seen on this forum for quite some time.
How does one know that there is a school on a particular 20mph stretch? Bit risky to assume we could do 30mph. Usually these 20MPH roads are 20mph because there's been a high volume of accidents. They don't make them 20mph just for the lols.

Stick to the speed limit and don't be an idiot.
J4GG427/10/2019 01:19

How does one know that there is a school on a particular 20mph stretch? …How does one know that there is a school on a particular 20mph stretch? Bit risky to assume we could do 30mph. Usually these 20MPH roads are 20mph because there's been a high volume of accidents. They don't make them 20mph just for the lols.Stick to the speed limit and don't be an idiot.

I agree with you, however our town centre is 20mph and no school within that zone.
That being said, there are a high volume of pedestrians and I for one stick to that 20mph as don't fancy being responsible for an innocent person's death by running them over

Does it also apply to minor capital cities?
jayhutton1027/10/2019 01:32

Only if you are in a Morris

If there's a problem take the Metro.
I'tal be a different route.
it would be interesting to know if anyone has been caught doing 28/30mph in a 20mph zone where there isn't a fixed camera. I for one haven't
OP logic -

I’m sure driving at 20mph compared to 30mph causes more accidents.

The law is not enforceable because I drive in London and my mates said so.

Then goes on to talk about common sense
Edited by: "londongeeza" 27th Oct
londongeeza27/10/2019 02:30

OP logic -I’m sure driving at 20mph compared to 30mph causes more a …OP logic -I’m sure driving at 20mph compared to 30mph causes more accidents.The law is not enforceable because I drive in London and my mates said so.The goes on to talk about common sense

The 2nd line is not even my words.. you twisted them.
The 3rd line doesn't even make sense. Try again
Azzy are you a young Male?
Our area is 20 since 17 year ago and we have those big speed bumbs so that does slow people down. I do 20/25 in the start of 20 zone as it's very quiet but when it comes to bend I do 20 as I approach a row of shops.

On these 20mph there must be wide full speed bumbs
azzy12927/10/2019 02:30

it would be interesting to know if anyone has been caught doing 28/30mph …it would be interesting to know if anyone has been caught doing 28/30mph in a 20mph zone where there isn't a fixed camera. I for one haven't

That's all the proof I need, thanks.

Lack of enforcement does not mean it cannot be legally enforced.
AndyRoyd27/10/2019 01:40

Singularly the most ludicrous comment I have seen on this forum for quite …Singularly the most ludicrous comment I have seen on this forum for quite some time.

The original post is ludicrous too.

Why would @azzy129 come on the a deal forum discussion to encourage other people to

A, break the law

B, drive in a manner that may be dangerous to others

They have absolutely no evidence to support there claim other than hearsay as well which makes even more ridiculous.

This is surely a troll
@ my usernameisdumbass234 stop talking such utter nonsense. I have been a HUKD member since 2007.. would I really be a troll??
I don't usually post on the discussion thread, but thought I'd post this to get ppl's views and an intelligent debate going. I was wrong
mogsog27/10/2019 00:30

I worry about breaking speed limits on my bicycle. I can't tell what speed …I worry about breaking speed limits on my bicycle. I can't tell what speed I'm going, if 20 becomes common then I know I easily can surpass this on my velocipede.

Almost all speed limits apply to motor vehicles
saying that it is just a matter of common sense hit a pothole on a bike at 40mph
and you will probably regret it
cyclescheme.co.uk/com…law

Funnily enough that is exactly my thinking when driving a car, so I do a constant 80mph even through residential areas so my DPF doesn't clog up.
all you lot must be the small minority happy, patient and content being stuck behind a vehicle doing 20mph. I too wish I was like that, but that would mean me not going to work, appointments or any other journey that is time constraint.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants