The 6mth Sky Deal £96 cancellation Fee

Found 22nd Jan 2013
Hi gang has this happened to anyone else. Back in June last year Sky (who I've been with for years) retentions gave me a call offering free sky for 6 months with NO contract and No cancellation issues. Like most here, I double checked with them and was told again nope its for just 6 months and no contract, if you wish to cancel you can and you will not incur a fee and you can cancel. Cancelled within the time frame (mainly because they still not got fiber) yet they sent me letter stating they will charge me £96 early termination fee - are they stinging anyone else with this. I phone retentions and they are scrubbing it off, as it was not a contract for 12mths. But I'll be happy when I get a letter saying that. Looks like dirty mis selling tricks to me.
Community Updates
20 Comments
ba humbug says I

Oh that reminds me, my contract with VirginMedia comes to an end in March. Need to call to see if I have to give 30 days notice or call on the last day of the contract
lol :-) good reminder for you. I could not adam and eve it, but I thought at the time of taking the retentions deal that it would come back to bite me. Just hope they do scrub it now as they said they would.
Mister_E

lol :-) good reminder for you. I could not adam and eve it, but I thought … lol :-) good reminder for you. I could not adam and eve it, but I thought at the time of taking the retentions deal that it would come back to bite me. Just hope they do scrub it now as they said they would.

Fingers crossed for you!
Rule of thumb is never to trust anyone who is on commission.
Is the cancellation fee in regards to phone/broadband or telly? Some providers charge a cancellation fee on broadband if you are not migrating to another (non virgin) supplier.
So they charged you, you complained, they wiped it as it was a mistake and now they are the devil?
I hate the stupid companies who do this, I was about to get screwed over by T-mobile when they over charged me alot and then said thats your contract you signed up for. I even got called a lier by them
What the hell are you smoking dimebars - I never said they were the devil. Do you have shares in Sky or something. As it happens I left because they messed around with the fiber and I got it elsewhere fed up of waiting. I got nowt but praise for Sky broadband and their sister company. Now do me a favour and lend me your brain as my son is building an idiot for his school project.

Hi Paddy, it was for TV only. Exactly Aircanman I know what has happened they probably sold it as one thing and doctored what they put in the other. I was just curious if they tried it on with other hot dealers as most of us took this deal the same time and they'd be getting the same letters around about now. True Godfather999 lots of them are a law unto themselves

:-)

As I said I just hope it gets wiped and I'm not back on the phone for ages again and they sent proof out - but I'll not hold my breath lol I did ask them to send what was said in an email ie we will wipe this out - but yip you guessed it, no email.

Mister_E

What the hell are you smoking dimebars - I never said they were the … What the hell are you smoking dimebars - I never said they were the devil. Do you have shares in Sky or something. As it happens I left because they messed around with the fiber and I got it elsewhere fed up of waiting. I got nowt but praise for Sky broadband and their sister company. Now do me a favour and lend me your brain as my son is building an idiot for his school project.Hi Paddy, it was for TV only. Exactly Aircanman I know what has happened they probably sold it as one thing and doctored what they put in the other. I was just curious if they tried it on with other hot dealers as most of us took this deal the same time and they'd be getting the same letters around about now. True Godfather999 lots of them are a law unto themselves :-)As I said I just hope it gets wiped and I'm not back on the phone for ages again and they sent proof out - but I'll not hold my breath lol I did ask them to send what was said in an email ie we will wipe this out - but yip you guessed it, no email.

Hopefully they do wipe it for you, Sky do normally record most of there calls. Tell them to listen back to them if they don't , although then they play the stupid old trick which is " oh , sorry I was trying to find out who you spoke to and I can't and that call wasn't recorded either.
I asked them that, but they said they would wipe it, but its now come onto my account. Had another 30 mins on the phone again and they said they'd wipe it, and it should show straight away, logged in and it was still there, then they said give it 24hrs. Hopefully it will get sorted, just a pain chasing them - I got the names and id of both people who said its getting wiped. I guess time will tell - cheers godfather999 ;-)
Mister_E

I asked them that, but they said they would wipe it, but its now come … I asked them that, but they said they would wipe it, but its now come onto my account. Had another 30 mins on the phone again and they said they'd wipe it, and it should show straight away, logged in and it was still there, then they said give it 24hrs. Hopefully it will get sorted, just a pain chasing them - I got the names and id of both people who said its getting wiped. I guess time will tell - cheers godfather999 ;-)

On an 0844 profit making number ??
I see tears.........real tears.
Yip on the 0844 lol - finally got it wiped today. Happy days. Dimebars wind your neck in. Your posts are and have been non productive. Thanks to everyone else, its appreciated. Hopefully if they try it on with others they'll find the post and get it sorted. Hopefully it was a one off, otherwise a few hot dealers will start getting the same bill.

this is why I now record all phone calls which concern contractual matters, 'for told you so' purposes and of course training their staff not to %^@£ with me

most smart phones have an app for this
Edited by: "Alfonse" 25th Jan 2013
Bit of a harsh thing to say too , don't you think? Totally uncalled for , you've blown the whole situation out of proportion.
Thanks Alfonse I agree. rdtorres, remove my name associated with your false quote!
I hope they wipe it for you! I always ask them to write to me/ email me to confirm their offer to avoid things like this.. after being stung by other companies in similar ways!
I received this offer on or around the 28th June 2012. I phoned Sky on or around 28th November and gave them the 31 days notice. The guy I spoke to in the call centre said I was the 2nd person to phone up about this and ready to cancel and who was on the same 6 month free deal.

They waived the early termination fee but they cut off Sky immediately. I know when you look at it, I only then recevied 5 months free sky, but I was informed that if I kept it for the entire 6 months, they would hit me with an early termination charge. I wasnt sure the legal side of this, but I considered that when I had got it free for 5 months, I was willing for them to cut me off which resulted in no cost coming my way.

Hopefully this might help you if you speak back to Sky because my call handler did waive the charge albeit it cutting my tv service off immediately.
Thx Guys, its been wiped as its now off my online account and I was within the same time frame as you Hippy, had the offer the same time and cancelled in Nov ;-)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants