The ALDI Bbq kamado thread

Found 7th May
A thread to discuss, share and appreciate all things BBQ, born out of the ALDI Kamado deal posted here
Community Updates
MiscBBQ
42 Comments
Had to delay mine until Thursday so hopefully it arrives intact!
Mine arrived no problems on Friday. Looks really well made although a slight wobble on the ceramic firebox.

I cured mine last night.
I got phone all from delivery company saying mine was damaged and to contact ALDI- have done and as sold out, they won’t be able to send replacement. None in Morrisons around here either - if anyone knows how to get one for a good price, can they let me know?
gordon.macgregor23 m ago

I got phone all from delivery company saying mine was damaged and to …I got phone all from delivery company saying mine was damaged and to contact ALDI- have done and as sold out, they won’t be able to send replacement. None in Morrisons around here either - if anyone knows how to get one for a good price, can they let me know?

The next best bet would probably be the pitboss from costco but theats and extra couple hundred pounds ontop
Any others are likely to be the much smaller versions at this price
@gordon.macgregor that’s a nightmare it must have been trashed if they didn’t attempt del

I’d have expected ALDI to keep a small buffer stock for things like this otherwise it’s just a total lottery.
Edited by: "ScotlandtheDave" 8th May
Now that these are sold out anyone know of any Morrison's that have their version in stock?
Hi guys, good idea regarding the Kamado thread. I’ve not actually got my Kamado set up yet as I’m having the patio done in a couple of weeks so holding off. I have however made the stand up and checked everything is in one piece. Which thankfully it is.

When cooking a whole chicken would it be an idea to get one of those stands so the chicken would stand vertically while cooking? I also read somewhere that a guy had cooked a chicken but the grease had dripped onto the hot coals and sent the heat rocketing, would you not use a foil tray to catch the fat in this case?
As far as chicken goes would you cook this Low and slow or would it dry out?

Thanks,

Pete.
gooders322 h, 35 m ago

Hi guys, good idea regarding the Kamado thread. I’ve not actually got my K …Hi guys, good idea regarding the Kamado thread. I’ve not actually got my Kamado set up yet as I’m having the patio done in a couple of weeks so holding off. I have however made the stand up and checked everything is in one piece. Which thankfully it is.When cooking a whole chicken would it be an idea to get one of those stands so the chicken would stand vertically while cooking? I also read somewhere that a guy had cooked a chicken but the grease had dripped onto the hot coals and sent the heat rocketing, would you not use a foil tray to catch the fat in this case? As far as chicken goes would you cook this Low and slow or would it dry out?Thanks,Pete.

Something i always say to people about the "beer can chicken" and all the same holders is
Drink the beer and spatchcock the chicken instead
Its just a fad and doesnt keep the chicken moist (but kamados DO retain moisture in food) so spatchcock it and it cooks more evenly
I only ever do them vertically now if i need to fit a few on at the same time

As for the fat dripping down
Well im not going to say it didnt happen but ive cooked duck on my kamado many times and that has much more fat than a chicken and ive never had the problem but i do tend to have the heat deflector in the high position when cooking chicken ect which stops it dripping directly onto the coals but flair ups are alot less common anyways
When it comes to cooking it tho have a go at both chickens are cheap enough to experiment on
I like low smoked chicken in theese they always come out juicy when i do them the only bad thing about it is the skin doesnt crisp up
gooders325 h, 57 m ago

Hi guys, good idea regarding the Kamado thread. I’ve not actually got my K …Hi guys, good idea regarding the Kamado thread. I’ve not actually got my Kamado set up yet as I’m having the patio done in a couple of weeks so holding off. I have however made the stand up and checked everything is in one piece. Which thankfully it is.When cooking a whole chicken would it be an idea to get one of those stands so the chicken would stand vertically while cooking? I also read somewhere that a guy had cooked a chicken but the grease had dripped onto the hot coals and sent the heat rocketing, would you not use a foil tray to catch the fat in this case? As far as chicken goes would you cook this Low and slow or would it dry out?Thanks,Pete.

Brine your poultry for 24 hours before cooking it lo & slo, plenty of recipes out there. I use this one for chicken, turkey (also turkey thighs and legs). It may surprise you how juicy the meat is done this way., Although the skin is very rubbery and I discard it.

Brine recipe
When you say low smoked chick @ChambyR33 I assume you mean low temp smoked? Kamado arrived today so need to unbox it tonight and run the curing fire soon
Yeah low temp smoked for hours as instead of higher temp roasted
Got my remote probe (ThermoPro TP20), lighter chimney (Aldi), lighters (eco), tongs and CPL charcoal and man cave foodrub ingredients today.

Did my first standard direct grill for burgers tonight. Got them to 71c on 200c grill in 10 mins. The £5 chimney starter is ace.
I might practice a temperature control low n slow tomorrow before I go for the real thing with a pulled pork on Saturday all day.
badgerman2617 m ago

Got my remote probe (ThermoPro TP20), lighter chimney (Aldi), lighters …Got my remote probe (ThermoPro TP20), lighter chimney (Aldi), lighters (eco), tongs and CPL charcoal and man cave foodrub ingredients today. Did my first standard direct grill for burgers tonight. Got them to 71c on 200c grill in 10 mins. The £5 chimney starter is ace. I might practice a temperature control low n slow tomorrow before I go for the real thing with a pulled pork on Saturday all day.

Pulled porks a good place to start as its quite a forgiving piece of meat
Be prepared for a long cook tho, make sure you take the internal temp high enough to allow it to pull and have a read up on whats known as "the stall" so it doesnt come as a shock when the internal temp stops going up (and can even go down a few degrees) for hours

amazingribs.com/ is a good site that really gets into the science behind bbq and has good techniques and explanations about the stall and internal temps ect
Need to get my test fire going tonight and keep it low. Need a hand to lift the thing though, that would be hernia inducing trying to lift that!(poo)
ScotlandtheDave3 h, 16 m ago

Need to get my test fire going tonight and keep it low. Need a hand to …Need to get my test fire going tonight and keep it low. Need a hand to lift the thing though, that would be hernia inducing trying to lift that!(poo)

If you take all the ceramics out it’s liftable with gloves to stop it slipping.
When we lifted ours, my wife and I struggled at first. It became obvious that there was no easy way to grip the sides, and it was clear her share of the weight was pretty much towards the limit of her lifting ability. The glazed surface is very lacking in grip too. Grippy rubbery gloves might have helped, but we only had leather rigger type gloves and these were a hindrance rather than a help. So after a minute or so it dawned on me what to do. We ditched the gloves, tilted it over slightly towards the thermometer side, we then each stuck one hand underneath towards the rear, with the other hand near to the front of the main body just underneath the top band. Then with trolley rolled up as close as possible to the corner of pallet base, we lifted the kamado body up onto it. It was very quick and easy in the end. I think I could have done it on my own, but I think it would have been an awkward and risky struggle.
33793150-Ct0s3.jpg33793150-85PZa.jpg

33793150-ctDqh.jpg

So did practice, Pizzas, and pulled pork. It’s a great bbq. A few learns from these that might be useful.

Pizzas use the deflector and pizza stone stone on the extender as high as possible in the dome to cook the topics without burning base. All vents open.

pulled pork as too small I think as only 4.5lbs and was a little dry after 7 hours at 120-145c. I struggled to start any lower as just kept rising. I rested in foil and towel for 2 hours after. According to Kamadoguru less than 6lbs is tricky. It was the shoulder from Ocado £16. Suggest get a fattier one will look into these.

Remote thermometer is a must with fire and meat probe.

Heat deflector is ace. No need for drip tray. Or water.Slight adjustments have a change of a degree or two after 3-5 mins.

Any further tips appreciated
You've got a wrinkly sausage
badgerman2619 m ago

[Image] [Image] [Image] So did practice, Pizzas, and pulled pork. It’s a g …[Image] [Image] [Image] So did practice, Pizzas, and pulled pork. It’s a great bbq. A few learns from these that might be useful. Pizzas use the deflector and pizza stone stone on the extender as high as possible in the dome to cook the topics without burning base. All vents open. pulled pork as too small I think as only 4.5lbs and was a little dry after 7 hours at 120-145c. I struggled to start any lower as just kept rising. I rested in foil and towel for 2 hours after. According to Kamadoguru less than 6lbs is tricky. It was the shoulder from Ocado £16. Suggest get a fattier one will look into these. Remote thermometer is a must with fire and meat probe. Heat deflector is ace. No need for drip tray. Or water.Slight adjustments have a change of a degree or two after 3-5 mins. Any further tips appreciated

Did you get an internal temp of the shoulder before you took it off?
I finished building mine this evening but didn’t get a chance to get a small curing fire going, so that’s tomorrow nights job. Can’t wait looking at those pics though, thanks for the tips!
ChambyR3333 m ago

Did you get an internal temp of the shoulder before you took it off?

Yep 199F or 93c. It went up to 202F on wrapping and resting. Was going by this from Man Cave meats. I am getting used to F as everything on line is US Fahrenheit

i cooked from 300F down to 240F. Steady increase in meat temp although I went out for an hour or so so may have stalled then. Would be good to be able to plot the temps over time and record.
I usualy take mine to between 200f and 205f depending on when i want to serve and how long ive got to hold it for
Serving sooner i take it higher and later i take it lower and let it rise a little while resting
The ploting charts is part of the beauty of the temp controllers

And i always talk in °f now
If anyone tells me things in °c i have to google the conversion
So I test fired the kamado tonight. Chucked a couple of handfuls of cpl lump in, just about enough to cover the grate. I used my looftlighter (extravagance paid for via quidco) to get it going. It did take several attempts to get it burning properly but I think that was me not being aggressive enough. However, once I did get going it sat at ~100c for a bit, before I started messing with the vents. I managed to get it to 150-170c but couldn’t really get it going any higher despite what settings I left the vents at. However, It stabilised quite nicely and sat at 170 for a few hours before dropping off so I shut the vents to kill it - about 30% if the coal left.
I suspect with a full payload of coal that will be a different game, but as a curing fire it was bang on.

Really looking forward to some grilling and smoking this weekend!
Think I am going to try a whole chicken this weekend. Brine it using the recipe above for 24hr. Cook it 275f till 73c. Any tips. Will let you know how I get on.

Any need to clean it after a smoke? I noticed the ceramic is now a brown colour and slightly sticky. Will this go mouldy? Or is a heat blast doing burgers or something ok?
badgerman264 h, 1 m ago

Think I am going to try a whole chicken this weekend. Brine it using the …Think I am going to try a whole chicken this weekend. Brine it using the recipe above for 24hr. Cook it 275f till 73c. Any tips. Will let you know how I get on. Any need to clean it after a smoke? I noticed the ceramic is now a brown colour and slightly sticky. Will this go mouldy? Or is a heat blast doing burgers or something ok?

All i do with regards to cleaning is wire brush the grates down while there still hot

Every now and again ill get it upto around 600f and hold it there for about an hour which is like it being a self cleaning oven
Kamados do go mouldy but only when there not used for a while as its a warm dark moist environment for it to grow in
When ive shut mine down the next day i crack the bottom vent open to let air circulate which helps
If it goes mouldy often its because your not using it enough
But if it does do it just do the self cleaning oven bit and its good to go again

The ceramics will get darker and its nothing to worry about
You can get some of it off if it bothers you with a ball of tin foil and scrub it lightly the brush it with a soft hand brush

As for the chicken it sounds good as there done at 75c so taking it off at 73c should allow for the extra couple of degrees it will rise after
so do i win the prize for the first AK burn then? turning a skewer that was sitting at 250c wasn't ideal, although i dropped it sharpish after

Grilled last night, just a simple BBQ but fired part microwaved taters at the top rack with corn and played with the heat a bit. Got it up to 200 ish, then gradually brought up to 270 and again played with it for a while. A fuller coal payload def helped and its surprising how much some settings change affected heat. Regardless, the frood was great and even though just burgers and sausages they definitely didn't feel dried out compared to standard grilling.

Gonna crank it up at the weekend and attempt some nice brisket or something.
Brisket can be tricky to pull off
I only tend to bother with them if im doing a full packer (about 6kg)
The smaller ones can dry out easily and are alot more work to keep moist

The usual bbq fair is always so much better on theese
Ive got a cast iron hotplate for my KJ and its awsome cooking burgers on that
Thsnks for the tip. I should be at home all day but won’t be able to keep an eye on it constantly so might go for something simpler. Also ordered some Turkish skewers for having a go at tandoori
Hi,

So I did a test burn yesterday. I had one full chimney starter worth of cpl lump wood in the bottom although it didn’t look much tbh. I put all the grates in but not the heat deflector opened up the vents and got it burning.

Couple of questions regarding temps,

1. The lowest temp I could get it burning at was around 230 and the highest around 500, I’m guessing I just need more lump wood to get the temp higher but how do you get the temp lower for a low & slow cook?

2. I’m just going to attempt some straight forward sausages & burgers this afternoon, what’s the ideal temp to cook these with the lid down & heat deflector in?

Thanks, Pete.
For higher temp its just a case of more fuel and open up the vents
For the lower temps light a smaller amount in the chimney

If your cooking with the deflector in at the roasting sort of temps just treat it as you would you oven
Thanks Chamby,

I put a full chimney in and cooked burgers/sausages & chicken drumsticks at 225-250 which I managed to hold quite comfortably with the deflector in which surprised me a little if I’m honest. I had compliments on how well the Kamado cooked even though it looks like something out of Star Wars apparently
Has anyone had any issues with the dome not staying open? Ours is fine except when doing a very hot cook, when it's blooming hazardous. I'm going to check the Kamado is level, and the top band which seems to flex a little too much and I suspect might be a little loose.
I dont have this kamado so dont know much how the hinge is set up or if it came pre assembled but the may be a way to adjust the tension and it should tell you in the instructions if there is
If not may be worth contacting the manufacturer for a replacement

As for the bands you want to make sure they are nice and tight
Its one of the few maintenance checks you need to do on theese a couple of times a year
gooders322 h, 46 m ago

Thanks Chamby,I put a full chimney in and cooked burgers/sausages & …Thanks Chamby,I put a full chimney in and cooked burgers/sausages & chicken drumsticks at 225-250 which I managed to hold quite comfortably with the deflector in which surprised me a little if I’m honest. I had compliments on how well the Kamado cooked even though it looks like something out of Star Wars apparently

Ha! Yes, I was told I’d set fire to R2D2 on sat 😝
ChambyR331 h, 40 m ago

I dont have this kamado so dont know much how the hinge is set up or if it …I dont have this kamado so dont know much how the hinge is set up or if it came pre assembled but the may be a way to adjust the tension and it should tell you in the instructions if there isIf not may be worth contacting the manufacturer for a replacement As for the bands you want to make sure they are nice and tight Its one of the few maintenance checks you need to do on theese a couple of times a year

I haven't really had a chance to investigate much further, but I did have a quick look earlier. The hinges and springs appear to have no adjustment, but the band itself has tensioning bolts, and judging by how much I noticed it was flexing on opening the dome, when cooking on Sunday, it perhaps needs tightening. It could also be that the Kamado is not level as it is just on grass at the moment. So before I cook again I need to have a fiddle about checking the levelling and band tension.

Googling "kamado lid won't stay open" brings up loads of posts on forums by people with the same problem, with kamados of various makes, and loads of people successfully solving it, so hopefully it won't be tricky to cure
Edited by: "VDisillusioned" 21st May
deleted1336857
I don't have a Kamado or have any experience cooking on one. But I would have thought briquetts (Weber) would be far better than lump to control temperature and burn longer.

Kingsford seems to be the #1 choice in the USA but does not seem to be available here. Weber Briquettes at £19.99 for 8KG although expensive would get more consistent and better results imo.

I have tried supermarket briquettes and they are terrible, full on nasty chemicals.
Edited by: "deleted1336857" 22nd May
Controlling the temp is a different animal with kamados and lump is definitely the way to go

Best way to explain it is this taken from nakedwhiz.com/lum…htm

"But back to the question at hand. Should you use lump or briquettes? There is no one answer for everyone. If you are using a ceramic cooker, the low ash production of lump charcoal is very important. Ceramic cookers have a fire bowl holding the charcoal. As the charcoal burns, the ash falls down into the bottom of the bowl. There isn't room for a whole lot of ash.
Lump charcoal burns hotter and faster than briquettes, if given an unlimited air supply. If you can control the air flow through your cooker, lump will burn at whatever rate and temperature that you allow it to. If you can't control the air flow in your cooker, then you may need to use the slower-burning briquettes in order to keep temperature under control."
I just posted a deal for a La Hacienda kamado in Morrisons for £350 for anyone who missed out on the Aldi one
Any recommendations on a pizza stone or are they all pretty much the same?
There all pretty much the same
Just a ceramic disc

Just dont get one of the realy cheap ones as they seem to crack easily

The official one i got for my kamado joe is pretty much a second deflector plate with pizza stone embossed in it
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants