Groups

The BART Police Shoot And Kill A Handcuffed, Unarmed Man

Did anyone see this story ?

please do not visit the link or watch the video if you do not want to watch/view the story/footage

current.com/ite…htm

19 Comments

Dub1;3988283

http://current.com/items/89683829/oa...g_detained.htm

this link not working for me?

Original Poster

your right no longer valid for some reason, but link 1 should be fine

The officer has resigned now, and 'pending' an investigation which will, as ever probably exonerate him, disgusting but then again I don't live in the USA.

Original Poster

is it me or does he looked shocked like he didnt no what he was doing or like the gun went off by mistake

Dub1;3988406

is it me or does he looked shocked like he didnt no what he was doing or … is it me or does he looked shocked like he didnt no what he was doing or like the gun went off by mistake

more like he realised he done it in public view shock

any chance of u just copying the article onto here dub1??

Reports suggest he may have believed he was firing his tazer. This has happened before..

Titchimp;3988522

Reports suggest he may have believed he was firing his tazer. This has … Reports suggest he may have believed he was firing his tazer. This has happened before..

lol he may have well just said he thought he was pulling out a banana for his lunch

Alfonse;3988543

lol he may have well just said he thought he was pulling out a banana for … lol he may have well just said he thought he was pulling out a banana for his lunch

Alfonse;3988417

more like he realised he done it in public view shock

Alfonse;3988377

The officer has resigned now, and 'pending' an investigation which will, … The officer has resigned now, and 'pending' an investigation which will, as ever probably exonerate him, disgusting but then again I don't live in the USA.

Well you have obviously already made up your mind.

Original Poster

its more of a video rather then a article but there are news story's about it on the net, ill try dig one out

acecatcher3;3988420

any chance of u just copying the article onto here dub1??

appalling and a prime example of why the arming of police officers as standard should never be allowed in this country

Titchimp;3988564

Well you have obviously already made up your mind.

have you watched the various videos of this, its pretty clear he draws his weapon and shot a guy in the back, oh and he took his right to remain silent 2 hours after the incident to the Police Investigators and he has resigned.............hmmmmm

omg thats horendous

Original Poster

Police Fatally Shoot Man At Oakland BART Station

OAKLAND (CBS 5 / KCBS / AP / BCN) ―
    http://llnw.image.cbslocal.com/23/2008/10/31/175x131/bartdelays.jpg Click to enlarge The entrance to a BART station. CBS
    1 of 1

][COLOR=#000000]Close[/COLOR]http://llnw.static.cbslocal.com/Themes/CBS/_resources/img/ico016x014close_modal.gif

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/313334/

numSlides of totalImages

A 22-year-old man died Thursday after being shot on an Oakland train station platform by a transit agency police officer responding to reports of fighting on an arriving train, officials said.

The Bay Area Rapid Transit officer's gun went off while police were trying to restrain 22-year-old Oscar Grant at BART's Fruitvale station on East 12th Street around 2:15 a.m., agency spokesman Jim Allison said.

Grant was taken to to Highland Hospital -- where he later died from his wounds at 9:13 a.m., according to Mike Yost, supervising coroner investigator with the Alameda County coroner's bureau.

Authorities said they were still investigating whether the gun was fired on purpose or accidentally.

"It's clear that it was a volatile situation with young men who were arguing and in fact had continued to argue even in the presence of multiple police officers," Allison said.

Five officers had gathered on the platform as the train arrived from San Francisco following reports that two groups of men were fighting on the train near the West Oakland station two stops earlier, officials said.

The men continued to yell at each other after the Dublin/Pleasanton-bound train stopped, and police were in the process of separating the men when the bullet struck Grant, Allison said.

No one involved in the alleged fighting was arrested following the shooting, although two men were detained for questioning and later released. Police shut down the Fruitvale station until about 2:50 a.m. to collect physical evidence after the incident.

Officials have not publicly identified the officer, who has served on the force for just under two years.

The officer was placed on standard administrative leave as authorities investigate whether proper police procedures had been followed and whether the shooting was a crime, Allison said.

The shooting was being investigated by the East Bay Regional Parks police, who indicated that their probe was on-going.

Original Poster

Conflicting Stories Surround Fruitvale BART Shooting

Thursday, January 1, 2009 – updated: 7:29 am PST January 2, 2009
    OAKLAND, Calif. -- Authorities continue to investigate the early Thursday morning officer-involved shooting at the Fruitvale BART station that left an unarmed man dead as questions concerning whether he was restrained during the fatal incident surface.
    BART police were called to respond to a fight between two groups of men onboard a train traveling from San Francisco to the East Bay, spokesman Jim Allison said Thursday afternoon during a news conference at BART headquarters in Oakland.
    Five officers had gathered at the Fruitvale BART Station platform when the train arrived shortly after 2 a.m., Allison said.
    Officers worked to separate the men, who were dispersed inside the train and outside on the platform, according to Allison. BART police did not say how many people were involved in the fight or what spurred the confrontation.
    At some point during the effort to bring the men under control, a BART police officer's gun fired one bullet, hitting 22-year-old Oscar Grant, according to Allison.
    According to Mike Yost, supervising coroner investigator with the Alameda County coroner's bureau, Grant was pronounced dead at 9:13 a.m. at Highland Hospital.
    Allison said the preliminary investigation indicates that Grant was one of the men involved in the altercation that brought police to the station, which was closed until 2:45 a.m., when it was reopened to finish extended New Year's Eve service until 3 a.m.
    Three or four people on the platform were put in plastic handcuffs, called "flexi-cuffs," during the effort to bring the scuffle under control, Allison said. While Allison stated Grant was not in handcuffs when he was shot, police said it is unclear if Grant had been cuffed at any point before the shooting occurred.
    "A preliminary investigation indicates that Mr. Grant was not restrained when the officer's firearm was discharged," Allison said.
    Grant was unarmed and no weapons were recovered at the scene. Authorities said they were still investigating whether the gun was fired on purpose or accidentally.
    The BART spokesman’s version of events stands contrary to the claims of some eyewitnesses to the incident interviewed immediately following the incident. Several witnesses who did not know Grant told KTVU they saw him lying on the ground already restrained when the shooting happened.
    "He had the zip ties around his ankles and wrists," claimed one witness.
    Grant's girlfriend says she talked to him just before he was shot.
    "All I know is I heard a loud pop," explained the girlfriend. "I thought it was a gunshot. My last phone call he said 'They’re beating me up for no reason. I gotta go.' And I heard the gunshot. I didn't want to think the worst"
    One of Grant's friends who was with him on the train asserted that the officer who shot Grant was heard shouting "Oh my God!" repeatedly immediately after the shooting.
    Grant was transported to Highland Hospital and underwent surgery, according to family members.
    In the hours that followed, friends and family members gathered at the hospital, offering each other support and worrying about his survival.
    Grant's family says his lungs were damaged in the shooting when the bullet went through him and then ricocheted off the ground and re-entered his body. He leaves behind a four-year-old daughter.
    KTVU spoke to one young man at the incident who says he got the entire shooting on tape. He says BART police confiscated that tape, but says the video shows the officer pull his gun and fire two or three seconds later.
    Officials have not released the name of the officer, who was placed on administrative leave.
    BART police patrol bureau Cmdr. Travis Gibson said it is too early to determine the justification for why the officer took his weapon out of the gun's holster.
    Gibson said BART police recovered two firearms, one at the Embarcadero Station and the other at the West Oakland Station, earlier in the night. The night was busy on the BART system with New Year's Eve revelers out in full force, Gibson said.
    The last fatal officer-involved shooting at a BART station occurred in April 2001, when an officer at the Hayward Station shot a man who later died, according to Allison.
    Thursday morning's shooting remains under investigation, Allison said.
    "BART continues to investigate the legal aspects of this incident, it is also investigating the internal protocol and procedures," Allison said. "In addition to that, the District Attorney's Office is conducting a separate, independent investigation."

Titchimp;3988522

Reports suggest he may have believed he was firing his tazer. This has … Reports suggest he may have believed he was firing his tazer. This has happened before..

Isnt that the story where a female police officer in the states shot a man instead of using her tazer, and then later sued the tazer manufacturers for them looking and feeling to much like a gun... :roll: I cant remember when i read it, it was an article i read at uni wonder if i can find it...

cheers dude, sounds bad!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764306
      2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846211
      3. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?2235
      4. What do you feel like whinging about today?1917265

See more discussions