The best hot chocolate? *UPDATE - Whittards is certainly not the best hot choc :( *

Found 10th Nov 2011
I want to buy some hot chocolate powder, but who makes the best one?

Cadburys? Charbonnel et Walker? Whittards?

Discuss and please point me in the right direction.
Community Updates
MiscChocolateWhittard
33 Comments
Have tried all three and more besides and my vote goes to Charbonnel et Walker.

ps Nice spot DG, great price
if you get an instant one be sure to use the required amount of powder then add a splash of milk and mix to form a paste then add hot water
Original Poster
DangerGod

just incase you missed … just incase you missed it.http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/3-hot-chocolates-for-just-7-70-whittard-chelsea-1055185

Thanks but I can't get the voucher to work and the plain hot choc isn't on 3 for 2.
I wish someone would buy me this: http://www.whittard.co.uk/hot_chocolate/hot_choc_gifts/indulgent_hot_choc_gift.htm
It looks so yummy!!

Have you tried their hot chocolate? Is it good?
Thanks.
Original Poster
ding

if you get an instant one be sure to use the required amount of powder … if you get an instant one be sure to use the required amount of powder then add a splash of milk and mix to form a paste then add hot water

Yeah, that's the best way when you make the paste first, but I prefer the milk ones. Make the paste, add the milk and pop in the microwave. I want one now but no hot choc powder in the house
Banned
http://images.uulyrics.com/cover/h/hot-chocolate/album-hot-chocolate-14-greatest-hits.jpg
Original Poster
markq

Have tried all three and more besides and my vote goes to Charbonnel et … Have tried all three and more besides and my vote goes to Charbonnel et Walker.ps Nice spot DG, great price

I can't remember what it tastes like, is it quite sweet or more cocoa bitter?
sickly sweet

I can't remember what it tastes like, is it quite sweet or more cocoa … I can't remember what it tastes like, is it quite sweet or more cocoa bitter?

Its a very pure chocolatey flavour if that makes sense. I guess its quite sweet (but then I do add 1 teaspoon of sugar to any hot chocolate :()
The whittard hot chocolate is more bitter from memory.

ps How sad are we discussing hot chocolate? oO
Columbian grade 'A'.
Original Poster
markq

Its a very pure chocolatey flavour if that makes sense. I guess its quite … Its a very pure chocolatey flavour if that makes sense. I guess its quite sweet (but then I do add 1 teaspoon of sugar to any hot chocolate :()The whittard hot chocolate is more bitter from memory.ps How sad are we discussing hot chocolate? oO

Thanks for the advice, I like it nice and sweet.

Meh, I have seen worse things discussed on here, hot chocolate is one of the more sane ones lol. And, very important
g1bbuk

Columbian grade 'A'.

lmao I think you have your wires crossed
sickly sweet

Thanks for the advice, I like it nice and sweet.Meh, I have seen worse … Thanks for the advice, I like it nice and sweet.Meh, I have seen worse things discussed on here, hot chocolate is one of the more sane ones lol. And, very important

Yeah, its not big and its not clever showing off talking about all the weekend benders people go on.
We have better things to discuss such as hot chocolate and bed time reading
Original Poster
DangerGod

just incase you missed … just incase you missed it.http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/3-hot-chocolates-for-just-7-70-whittard-chelsea-1055185

Ah, the code works if you use lowecase rather than capitals. £3.85 delivered. Irresistible.

EDIT: Goes through checkout at £9. Now resistible.

Having tried them all, I can highly recommend you try Morrisons own brand Hot Chocolate. It smells and tastes like a homebaked chocolate cake...spot on! :-)
The absolute best hot chocolate is getting a cocoa bean and grating into a pot. Then add milk and sugar to it and boil.

Or try this guide:

thehungrymouse.com/200…ix/

Original Poster
Civic EG6

The absolute best hot chocolate is getting a cocoa bean and grating into … The absolute best hot chocolate is getting a cocoa bean and grating into a pot. Then add milk and sugar to it and boil.Or try this guide:http://www.thehungrymouse.com/2008/12/14/how-to-make-your-own-hot-chocolate-mix/

My friend who spent a few years of her childhood in Brazil says this as well. However, I'm lazy and want instant gratification and instant hot chocolate

Unfortunately no Morrissons near me, but I have heard they sell yummy millionaire shortbreads.
Similar to above, I was served lovely silver service hot chocolate in a hotel and they made it by melting down dark chocolate and adding it to warm milk.

Powder stuff though, I like the nestle one that you only seem to be able to buy in vending packs. Not available in supermarkets or anything.
Hissy Miss

Similar to above, I was served lovely silver service hot chocolate in a … Similar to above, I was served lovely silver service hot chocolate in a hotel and they made it by melting down dark chocolate and adding it to warm milk.Powder stuff though, I like the nestle one that you only seem to be able to buy in vending packs. Not available in supermarkets or anything.

Its probably available from the likes of Macro, or Costco if you are able to order from them or know someone who can on your behalf?
I like cadburys hot chocolate the best.
markq

Its probably available from the likes of Macro, or Costco if you are able … Its probably available from the likes of Macro, or Costco if you are able to order from them or know someone who can on your behalf?

My neighbour goes there so going to ask him to have a look for me next time. I found it on some website but P&P cost more than the product. Thanks.
This may be a stupid question, but can you put pure chocolate bars in a pan and add milk and water to it and then bring it to the boil, does that end up the same as hot chocolate?
I'm really liking the Green n Blacks one atm, you should try that!
mutley1

This may be a stupid question, but can you put pure chocolate bars in a … This may be a stupid question, but can you put pure chocolate bars in a pan and add milk and water to it and then bring it to the boil, does that end up the same as hot chocolate?

I think you can do it adding the milk and possibly some sugar depending on the bar. I think the consistency may be ruined if you add water, there was something about that on a different thread, but that was to do with making runny chocolate for chocolate fountains! lol
Original Poster
mutley1

This may be a stupid question, but can you put pure chocolate bars in a … This may be a stupid question, but can you put pure chocolate bars in a pan and add milk and water to it and then bring it to the boil, does that end up the same as hot chocolate?

I know if you heat chocolate too quickly it can burn and change to a horrible consistency which is why you should melt chocolate slowly in a bain marie so I don't know if it would work melting it in a pan, plus I'm not convinced about the water, but with the milk it does sound like it could work.

ei8hty5ive

I'm really liking the Green n Blacks one atm, you should try that!

I just got the whittards voucher to work, (you need to use lower case) and it was on 3 for 2 despite not having the 3 for 2 sticker banner thing so I got 2x luxury hot chocolates and 1x luxury white hot chocolate for £7.70 delivered. Can't wait. Oh and I have some mini marshmallows for extra deliciousness.
Banned
1 heaped teaspoon of cocoa powder
3 teaspoons of sugar
add a splash of milk, mix to a paste
top up with milk and heat to 60C
Bourneville cocoa powder
try this i remember the tv program and he grated it into milk to make hot chocolate
Original Poster
UPDATE: I just tried the Whittard hot chocolate which arrived in the week and it's not great
sickly sweet

UPDATE: I just tried the Whittard hot chocolate which arrived in the week … UPDATE: I just tried the Whittard hot chocolate which arrived in the week and it's not great

That's what I thought too. I still have 3 tubs in the cupboard that I got from debenhams in the January sale last year. Really should just dump them.
Try options hot chocolate mmmmm
Original Poster
Hissy Miss

That's what I thought too. I still have 3 tubs in the cupboard that I got … That's what I thought too. I still have 3 tubs in the cupboard that I got from debenhams in the January sale last year. Really should just dump them.

Don't dump them if they are sealed, maybe take them to your local women's refuge, the kiddies won't be as fussy as us!
I emailed Whittard and asked if I could return mine, I got 3 tubs and won't use them.
They aren't sealed though, they are all different flavours. Thought that I'd enjoy at least one. I think it's normal chocolate, chocolate & caramel and praline.

Too sweet for me.
For the chocolate method Try this
Banned
Twinings is the best shop stuff I've had.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions