The church telling us who we can vote for?

101 replies
Found 24th May 2009
news.bbc.co.uk/1/h…stm

I am not a fan of the BNP, but i'm less of a fan of being told who I can and can't vote for by the church! They have no chuffing business sticking their noses into the democratic process.
Opinions welcome.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
101 Comments

hotukdeals.com/ite…po/

By the way, as a church-goer myself, I agree that the church should not be telling people how to vote. I refuse to allow the government to tell me what to believe, so I think that is fair.

they were asking people not to vote not telling them the more people against the racists the better
just as long as no one starts a full on religious party then we really are stuffed

Woah, is Jesus running in the next election?

Thought not.

If I wanted a fictional character to run the country, i'd rather have bigfoot anyway :lol:

Original Poster

Predikuesi;5306014

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/407976/should-the-church-get-involve-in-po/

Why is it expired?

mbgringo;5306022

Woah, is Jesus running in the next election? Thought not.If I wanted a … Woah, is Jesus running in the next election? Thought not.If I wanted a fictional character to run the country, i'd rather have bigfoot anyway :lol:

nah god is the best fictional character

dandoc2;5306029

nah god is the best fictional character

Yeah, he scores well in Top Trumps, lord of creation and all that . . . .

Scribbles;5306027

Why is it expired?

Don't know, probably someone being silly.

mbgringo;5306034

Yeah, he scores well in Top Trumps, lord of creation and all that . . . .

yeh the bonus card is the talking snake combined with the apple

Original Poster

Predikuesi;5306039

Don't know, probably someone being silly.

Probably. I'm just looking for a debate on the rights and wrongs of the church v state, and whether the church has any right to dictate on political matters. I make no judgement on the church as a single entity.
Just in case any zealots want to expire this thread too :thumbsup:

Banned

I don't like the idea of religion being involved in politics, but I don't like racists either so it's a tough one.

Ultimately, I think the church should rein their necks in on this one.

Scribbles;5306084

Probably. I'm just looking for a debate on the rights and wrongs of the … Probably. I'm just looking for a debate on the rights and wrongs of the church v state, and whether the church has any right to dictate on political matters. I make no judgement on the church as a single entity.Just in case any zealots want to expire this thread too :thumbsup:

Good to debate these issues. As indicated above, I believe that the Church and State should be separate. I know that there are religious people (of all persuasions) in politics. Church leaders should not be telling people how to vote. If someone asks me my views, then of course I have the right to share my thoughts. I realise that many on here believe the Bible to be a work of fiction, but interestingly enough it states that believers should not involve themselves with political issues. Looks like some church leaders are not bothering to read the book.

FilthAndFurry;5306116

I don't like the idea of religion being involved in politics, but I don't … I don't like the idea of religion being involved in politics, but I don't like racists either so it's a tough one.Ultimately, I think the church should reign their necks in on this one.

Never thought I'd live to see the day that we'd agree on something

It makes no difference who we vote for the bloody government always win!

harlzter;5306176

It makes no difference who we vote for the bloody government always win!

LOL. I noticed that too!

Anyone can tell me whatever they want on who/ who not to vote for , i will just use my mind and own hands and feet to do as i wish, suggest you do same :p:thumbsup:

Original Poster

Predikuesi;5306132

Good to debate these issues. As indicated above, I believe that the … Good to debate these issues. As indicated above, I believe that the Church and State should be separate. I know that there are religious people (of all persuasions) in politics. ** Church leaders should not be telling people how to vote. If someone asks me my views, then of course I have the right to share my thoughts. ** I realise that many on here believe the Bible to be a work of fiction, but interestingly enough it states that believers should not involve themselves with political issues. Looks like some church leaders are not bothering to read the book.

Exactly. 100%. I have no wish to vote BNP, but that is entirely MY choice. Definately not because I feel i'm doing a politically correct thing by not doing so. And certainly not because I may feel intimidated by doing so. It is my choice. That is of course until J S decides to ban N G from the UK :whistling:
I actually believe that this issue will sway anyone with firm anti-establishment views to change their vote to the BNP! So, yes, Mr Canterbury and Mr York would probably be well advised to rein their necks in lol
Debating stuff like this, believe it or not, puts it all in perspective.

The real worry should be that many thousands of people are prepared to vote for the BNP, rather than try to stifle the BNP; the government and church should be looking at the reasons why so many people seem to think that the BNP represent their views.

pugw$sh;5306326

The real worry should be that many thousands of people are prepared to … The real worry should be that many thousands of people are prepared to vote for the BNP, rather than try to stifle the BNP; the government and church should be looking at the reasons why so many people seem to think that the BNP represent their views.

too right.

Banned

pugw$sh;5306326

The real worry should be that many thousands of people are prepared to … The real worry should be that many thousands of people are prepared to vote for the BNP, rather than try to stifle the BNP; the government and church should be looking at the reasons why so many people seem to think that the BNP represent their views.

True, although I can't imagine being so disillusioned with the main parties that I would support a racist party.

I can only imagine that many voters aren't aware of the BNP's true nature, or they're just racist themselves.

thumbs up to the church on this one

Original Poster

pugw$sh;5306326

It is a fact that there are people who have far-right views out there, there always will be, and as a democrasy the UK provides a platform for that opinion. Maybe if the 'system' wasn't so bloody corrupt and deaf to public opinion there wouldn't be a call for a far-right party.
While govts choose to ignore public opinion, the masses will seize the opportunity to give them a swift kicking when the chance arises. I don't think it should be so outrageous to believe that we should be able to directly influence policy. It's called 'referendum'.

You can only have a problem with this if you believe an archbishop has more moral authority than someone in another profession with access to the media.

Is there really any difference between an archbishop and a rock star stating their political opinions and attempting to sway people's views? Bruce Springsteen does it. Michael Moore does it. What's wrong with Rowan Williams and Dr John Sentamu doing it?

I'm not adverse to standing alongside churchleaders on some issues. In fact, it's very easy to do when you don't recognise them as having any special moral authority because of their religious status.

Actually they are talking sense in a way... ive heard i 1st hand that some people ARE so sick of the current big parties and shenanigans employed by....that they now would consider voting bnp.

kungfu;5306606

Actually they are talking sense in a way... ive heard i 1st hand that … Actually they are talking sense in a way... ive heard i 1st hand that some people ARE so sick of the current big parties and shenanigans employed by....that they now would consider voting bnp.

Can talkin' to yourself be considered '1st hand' ..? :?

Liddle ol' me;5306639

Can talkin' to yourself be considered '1st hand' ..? :?

pathetic and uncalled for, grow up mate thats trolling at its finest , sad.

Banned

kungfu;5306606

Actually they are talking sense in a way... ive heard i 1st hand that … Actually they are talking sense in a way... ive heard i 1st hand that some people ARE so sick of the current big parties and shenanigans employed by....that they now would consider voting bnp.

I'm so angry at Labour I'm now a racist:?

FilthAndFurry;5306668

I'm so angry at Labour I'm now a racist:?

just tellin what i heard mate , aint saying it right or wrong...:thumbsup:

kungfu;5306676

just tellin what i heard mate , aint saying it right or wrong...:thumbsup:

Who'd you hear it from then?

EDIT: And since you brought it up, do you think it is right or wrong?

Liddle ol' me;5306686

Who'd you hear it from then?EDIT: And since you brought it up, do you … Who'd you hear it from then?EDIT: And since you brought it up, do you think it is right or wrong?

omg your goading is absolutely ridiculous and most of all weak :oops:

/thread spoiled

out.

Not defending the church or Rowan Williams at all but think there was something put out by the BNP to say that Jesus would have voted for them or similiar.
Rowan Williams may have been countering that statement.

WoolyM;5306722

Not defending the church or Rowan Williams at all but think there was … Not defending the church or Rowan Williams at all but think there was something put out by the BNP to say that Jesus would have voted for them or similiar. Rowan Williams may have been countering that statement.

lol, really?

How nutty. "Vote for us... Jesus would have"

That's gotta be skirting with heresy.

Banned

WoolyM;5306722

Not defending the church or Rowan Williams at all but think there was … Not defending the church or Rowan Williams at all but think there was something put out by the BNP to say that Jesus would have voted for them or similiar. Rowan Williams may have been countering that statement.

I can't see a middle-eastern manual worker voting for the BNP.

FilthAndFurry;5306735

I can't see a middle-eastern manual worker voting for the BNP.

Well, the KKK had black members.

kungfu;5306720

omg your goading is absolutely ridiculous and most of all weak … omg your goading is absolutely ridiculous and most of all weak :oops:/thread spoiledout.

All you have to say is you'd prefer not to tell us your answer.

How is it goading someone by asking if they will support the BNP when they keep coming into threads talking about people they know who are thinking about voting for them?

All these sly references in support of the BNP, and you keep avoiding the question about whether these are your opinions or not?

If they are aren't your own opinions, I don't understand why (a) you don't just say so, and (b) you keep bringing it up in threads. :?

ClarityofMind;5306734

lol, really?How nutty. "Vote for us... Jesus would have"That's gotta be … lol, really?How nutty. "Vote for us... Jesus would have"That's gotta be skirting with heresy.

Unless I dreamt it. It was very early this morning on the radio. I think I was awake :-D

WoolyM;5306722

yep, here is the story: news.bbc.co.uk/1/h…stm

I think the problem here is that there does not 'appear' to be a mainstream party that stands up for the concerns of regular working people. They shop for votes at election time but then play to a wider audience after election and the masses are again expected to behave, work hard, pay their taxes, and shut up. Parties like the BNP monopolise the anger and there are many that may just vote for them. I hope not. It really worries me just what an extreme party may do now that we have so many control systems in place. Cameras everywhere, Databases of all imaginable information on so many individuals. Not losing sleep over it but this is why I am more likely to vote for a NO2ID party, and that does rule out labour.
IMO there are many reasons not to vote for the BNP, but to have a nationlist party with access to so much data really concerns me.

The gospel verse on the BNP's election poster quotes Jesus's words: "If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you."

Example of how man perverts religion to his own ends.

Seems to be an on-going little debate between the church and the BNP. Just watch and take notes.

Original Poster

ClarityofMind;5306734

lol, really?How nutty. "Vote for us... Jesus would have"That's gotta be … lol, really?How nutty. "Vote for us... Jesus would have"That's gotta be skirting with heresy.

No different to Bush v1.0's famous quote saying that America would win the Gulf war as they "had Jesus on their side". Did he have an Oval Office conference with the wise one to verify that? :whistling:

Original Poster

Please can we unexpire this thread?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Missing the old HUKD for sale area.78
    2. Misco about to go into administration87
    3. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!564051
    4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread427814637

See more discussions