The connection between your access point, router, or cable modem and the Internet is broken..

Found 14th Sep 2012
our desktop pc won't connect to the internet, we get this report when I click diagnose problem, our other wi fi laptops connect to the router fine .Fairly new tower, we use Macaffee (free thro BT) , any ideas how to sort it ? I have tried a safe boot .
Community Updates
23 Comments
http://i50.tinypic.com/33c144p.jpg
I have turned of everything and reset the router , should I turn the firewall off and try ?
Im sure if you wait the helpful guys from microsoft will contact you to fix it
How does desktop connect to router, wired or wifi? If wifi, what type of wifi device do you use with desktop?
RonChew

How does desktop connect to router, wired or wifi? If wifi, what type of … How does desktop connect to router, wired or wifi? If wifi, what type of wifi device do you use with desktop?

its a wired connection ,ethernet
goldmax

its a wired connection ,ethernet

Hard to say as it could be a software or hardware problem. I'd try replacing the cable first, if you've got a spare one. Or use a different port on the router if it's got more than one. If that doesn't fix it, try reinstalling the windows driver for the ethernet port. If that doesn't work either then it may be a problem with the motherboard.

Your best bet is probably to get someone who knows what they're doing to test it all for you.
RonChew

Hard to say as it could be a software or hardware problem. I'd try … Hard to say as it could be a software or hardware problem. I'd try replacing the cable first, if you've got a spare one. Or use a different port on the router if it's got more than one. If that doesn't fix it, try reinstalling the windows driver for the ethernet port. If that doesn't work either then it may be a problem with the motherboard.Your best bet is probably to get someone who knows what they're doing to test it all for you.

I'll swap the cable first, then try the driver, I prefer diy approach, these experts hit you where it hurts

If other devices can connect through and out fine, then its either your desktop, the wire, or config on the desktop/router preventing it.
Assuming you're on Windows, launch a command prompt from the start menu
In the command prompt, some things to try...
Type

ping www.google.co.uk

and press return
Ideally it should respond with 4 replies from google's IP address. If you've got no internet connectivity, it will probably say could not find host

type ipconfig and press return
You'll get all sorts of stuff back, but see if there's an IP address allocated to you, and what the default gateway is.

See if you can ping the default gateway IP address OK. If you get a reply, you've got connectivtiy OK to the router at least.

Let us know the results....

I tried a new ethernet cable and problem occurs, and turned off firewall

ecac

If other devices can connect through and out fine, then its either your … If other devices can connect through and out fine, then its either your desktop, the wire, or config on the desktop/router preventing it.Assuming you're on Windows, launch a command prompt from the start menuIn the command prompt, some things to try...Type and press returnIdeally it should respond with 4 replies from google's IP address. If you've got no internet connectivity, it will probably say could not find hosttype ipconfig and press returnYou'll get all sorts of stuff back, but see if there's an IP address allocated to you, and what the default gateway is.See if you can ping the default gateway IP address OK. If you get a reply, you've got connectivtiy OK to the router at least.Let us know the results....

I typed ipconfig and a screen flashes up for a tenth of a second then goes again , tried it three times and same thing ?
what he didn't tell you specifically, is that you have to open the cmd console first

start

type into search:

cmd

hit Enter

and then type

ipconfig

hit Enter

or

ping google.com

hit Enter

this is it:

http://tweakhound.com/linux/samba/ipconfig_nodhcp.gif

Edited by: "kunyk" 14th Sep 2012
right , ok, I ping google but it said could not find host
I did however get some results from typing ipconfig similar to that ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^screen
http://windows7themes.net/repair-reset-winsock-windows-7.html

start with step 2.

and btw, was the internet working fine before? what happened prior to the issue? any changes done? new software installed/deleted?
it was working fine , I think we may have downloaded google chrome browser but that is all , I will try your link thanks alot

Had this the other day, couldn't get to the bottom of it and in the end just went to a weeks earlier restore point, problem solved.
post a screenshot of your command prompt with your IPCONFIG /ALL details
mds1256

post a screenshot of your command prompt with your IPCONFIG /ALL details

difficult as the pc wont connect to internet,
Argoj

Had this the other day, couldn't get to the bottom of it and in the end … Had this the other day, couldn't get to the bottom of it and in the end just went to a weeks earlier restore point, problem solved.

I may give this a try tomorrow
goldmax

difficult as the pc wont connect to internet,

write down and post here the ip address, subnet mask, dns and default gateway
mds1256

write down and post here the ip address, subnet mask, dns and default … write down and post here the ip address, subnet mask, dns and default gateway

I will have to do this tomorrow, thanks, I will pm you, will these details give any indication to the problem?
goldmax

I will have to do this tomorrow, thanks, I will pm you, will these … I will have to do this tomorrow, thanks, I will pm you, will these details give any indication to the problem?

possibly
Uninstall McAfee; we have spent many days trying various solutions to an almost identical problem. No internet via wifi, cable or even using a 3G dongle. On each occasion it found the network and would exchange files across the network but no internet. In the end I uninstalled McAfee and it was fixed! Using Windows Security Essentials for now, been trying to speak to McAfee to see if a recent update has caused the problem.
Step 1. ^ get rid of Mcafee. Its bloated parpware that interfers and uses up resources. (get avast/avg free instead)

Step 2. Check your connections. If other devices connect fine via wifi, then your ethernet cable is probably stuck in the wan port or something. Does it say crossover or patch on the cable itself??

Step 3. If all else fails, save your config settings for your router. Note your ISP details, DNS etc or else if its cable/fiber optic dont worry. Do this by going into your router page (192.168.x.x) in a browser. then reset the router back to factory settings by sticking paperclip into little hole on back, until the lights flash. Go back into setup page enter details or clone mac (for cable/fiber optic). Check that the router has internet access. Link cable into port 1. Right click on Pc connection > disable then enable. See if it works. If so ad password to router and link other wifi devices.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants