The Conservative Manifesto

67 replies
Found 18th May
Not that bad. Bit harsher on pensioners which she can afford to do this time. Bottled any commitments on taxes for high earners which is disappointing.

Still rather mediocre but not as laughable as Labour.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
Top comments

It's a decent honest and balanced document.

I always wondered why pensioners with millions in the bank needed a £300 winter fuel allowance when low income hard working folk are struggling to pay the gas and electric bills.
I'm glad to see May and her party are not scared to upset some of the electorate as other parties are bottling the hard decisions to try and keep "The people" on side.
67 Comments

Corporation tax cut to 17 per cent thats me decided then

What would you like to see introduced OP?

Original Poster

dtovey89

What would you like to see introduced OP?

Commitments on income tax, a greater acknowledgement of the changing economy and how to harness it by enticing more foreign tech companies to base their hq here and a more forward looking approach to the NHS rather than plugging the same holes.

I'm glad they're finally asking pensioners to contribute. People are living longer and the grey vote get far too many concessions.

No half-hearted uncosted nationalisation promises either.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Commitments on income tax, a greater acknowledgement of the changing … Commitments on income tax, a greater acknowledgement of the changing economy and how to harness it by enticing more foreign tech companies to base their hq here and a more forward looking approach to the NHS rather than plugging the same holes.I'm glad they're finally asking pensioners to contribute. People are living longer and the grey vote get far too many concessions.No half-hearted uncosted nationalisation promises either.

So the cap at what they can take from pensioners for social care (£72K) has now been removed and they can take an infinite amount but they will leave them with a minimum of 100K.

Not sure how that is going to benefit the masses. Those who have hundreds of thousands at that age will probably be able to pay for their own social care anyway.

dtovey89

So the cap at what they can take from pensioners for social care (£72K) … So the cap at what they can take from pensioners for social care (£72K) has now been removed and they can take an infinite amount but they will leave them with a minimum of 100K.Not sure how that is going to benefit the masses. Those who have hundreds of thousands at that age will probably be able to pay for their own social care anyway.

Does that count housing, when my granny ended up in a home the council wanted her house sold to pay towards the costs

From wha
Error44016 m ago

Does that count housing, when my granny ended up in a home the council …Does that count housing, when my granny ended up in a home the council wanted her house sold to pay towards the costs

According to Jerermy Vine on Radio 2 yes it does include housing, the reality is how many people live in a house they own under £100,000?

haritori

From whaAccording to Jerermy Vine on Radio 2 yes it does include housing, … From whaAccording to Jerermy Vine on Radio 2 yes it does include housing, the reality is how many people live in a house they own under £100,000?

True, but I'm sure they will now wait until that person dies before asking for the money. Then the family will be left with £100,000. Not sell now to pay for care
Not 100% sure how I feel about it

It's a decent honest and balanced document.

I always wondered why pensioners with millions in the bank needed a £300 winter fuel allowance when low income hard working folk are struggling to pay the gas and electric bills.
I'm glad to see May and her party are not scared to upset some of the electorate as other parties are bottling the hard decisions to try and keep "The people" on side.

So they're going to be targeting the rich pensioners?.

FreeDeal

True, but I'm sure they will now wait until that person dies before … True, but I'm sure they will now wait until that person dies before asking for the money. Then the family will be left with £100,000. Not sell now to pay for careNot 100% sure how I feel about it

Seems fairer, Once you're dead, you're dead.

haritori

From whaAccording to Jerermy Vine on Radio 2 yes it does include housing, … From whaAccording to Jerermy Vine on Radio 2 yes it does include housing, the reality is how many people live in a house they own under £100,000?

My Granny did it was valued at 91k not that long ago

Once upon a time the family looked after their elderly relatives and didn't expect the state to do it.

Any issue I have with the tories is not based on their views on this point to be honest.

Reading the manifesto felt a bit dull to me. And the tax bracket changes are very weak additions (even if I do benefit).
Edited by: "delusion" 18th May

Error4407 m ago

My Granny did it was valued at 91k not that long ago

In that case if she didnt have £10,000 more in savings then she wouldnt of been expected o use any of her own money.

haritori

In that case if she didnt have £10,000 more in savings then she wouldnt … In that case if she didnt have £10,000 more in savings then she wouldnt of been expected o use any of her own money.

She didn't in the end

Original Poster

delusion

Once upon a time the family looked after their elderly relatives and … Once upon a time the family looked after their elderly relatives and didn't expect the state to do it. Any issue I have with the tories is not based on their views on this point to be honest. Reading the manifesto felt a bit dull to me. And the tax bracket changes are very weak additions (even if I do benefit).

Once upon a time less family members (specifically women) would have a job. Times have changed.

I'm fine in principle of what is said, but they need to legalise assisted suicide. I don't want £3,000 of my money a month to keep me on a tube as a vegetable being pumped with a lot of expensive pills. Let me go when I'm ready.
Let me have some dignity at the end of my life.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Once upon a time less family members (specifically women) would have a … Once upon a time less family members (specifically women) would have a job. Times have changed.

You are comparing a current lack of compassion for the elderly with sexism.

That makes zero sense to me. But yes, times have changed. That's why I used the words "once upon a time"....

Original Poster

delusion

You are comparing a current lack of compassion for the elderly with … You are comparing a current lack of compassion for the elderly with sexism.That makes zero sense to me. But yes, times have changed. That's why I used the words "once upon a time"....

Sexism? It's actually about the shifting economic realities. You talk about a lack of compassion but people simply have more responsibilities nowadays.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Sexism? It's actually about the shifting economic realities. You talk … Sexism? It's actually about the shifting economic realities. You talk about a lack of compassion but people simply have more responsibilities nowadays.

Ok, still no link between the two. You talk about family values a lot, presumably this doesn't extend to your parents, or how you feel about your future when you may need your children?

I'm genuinely asking. I help care for 2 adult family members but they are not even elderly yet, it's a long commitment. This is around full time work. I think it's a cop out to say no one has the time, in general life is more convenient and instant now that it has ever been before.

Original Poster

delusion

Ok, still no link between the two. You talk about family values a lot, … Ok, still no link between the two. You talk about family values a lot, presumably this doesn't extend to your parents, or how you feel about your future when you may need your children? I'm genuinely asking. I help care for 2 adult family members but they are not even elderly yet, it's a long commitment. This is around full time work. I think it's a cop out to say no one has the time, in general life is more convenient and instant now that it has ever been before.

I'm not going to get into this because I don't think it serves a purpose to discuss how we view the responsibilities of children to parents differently.

Sufficed to say I'm not looking at my kids in terms of me needing them in the future.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

I'm not going to get into this because I don't think it serves a purpose … I'm not going to get into this because I don't think it serves a purpose to discuss how we view the responsibilities of children to parents differently. Sufficed to say I'm not looking at my kids in terms of me needing them in the future.

That's fine, don't then. Compassion does come into it however, that's a fact.

It just gives people a choice, be compassionate and look after your family, or accept the state will take some of the cost back from them to look after them for you.
Edited by: "delusion" 18th May

Chiptivo

I'm fine in principle of what is said, but they need to legalise assisted … I'm fine in principle of what is said, but they need to legalise assisted suicide. I don't want £3,000 of my money a month to keep me on a tube as a vegetable being pumped with a lot of expensive pills. Let me go when I'm ready. Let me have some dignity at the end of my life.

The religious element won't allow that change any time soon, for now I would keep a Dignitas fund tucked away for when the time is right and you need a 1 way trip to Switzerland.

delusion

That's fine, don't then. Compassion does come into it however, that's a … That's fine, don't then. Compassion does come into it however, that's a fact. It just gives people a choice, be compassionate and look after your family, or accept the state will take some of the cost back from them to look after them for you.

Some people have complex relationships with their parents, and may not want to get into this, delusion. Your parents / family members will be proud of you though.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Sufficed to say I'm not looking at my kids in terms of me needing them in … Sufficed to say I'm not looking at my kids in terms of me needing them in the future.

Maybe not yet, but you will.

DKLS

The religious element won't allow that change any time soon, for now I … The religious element won't allow that change any time soon, for now I would keep a Dignitas fund tucked away for when the time is right and you need a 1 way trip to Switzerland.

Ever increasing costs, for ever decreasing levels of genuine care. All at a time when many in the country are arguably seeking a reduction in the availability of the labour that has been providing most of the care for a few decades.

It is time for a grown-up debate in the UK about the option for a tightly regulated route of voluntary euthanasia, where appropriate. Such a discussion still appears too radical for inclusion in a mainstream manifesto in 2017. Too much money to be made from the Care sector, or purely an ethical dilemma?

Saturn

Ever increasing costs, for ever decreasing levels of genuine care. All at … Ever increasing costs, for ever decreasing levels of genuine care. All at a time when many in the country are arguably seeking a reduction in the availability of the labour that has been providing most of the care for a few decades.It is time for a grown-up debate in the UK about the option for a tightly regulated route of voluntary euthanasia, where appropriate. Such a discussion still appears too radical for inclusion in a mainstream manifesto in 2017. Too much money to be made from the Care sector, or purely an ethical dilemma?

I agree it is time for a grown-up debate on this complex subject, we have an ever growing elderly population, a population living longer, combined with a culture shift of the state looking after our elderly rather than the family, and a total undervaluation of care work as a profession, the whole system is looking a mess and unaffordable going forward.

Banned

Saturn

Ever increasing costs, for ever decreasing levels of genuine care. All at … Ever increasing costs, for ever decreasing levels of genuine care. All at a time when many in the country are arguably seeking a reduction in the availability of the labour that has been providing most of the care for a few decades.It is time for a grown-up debate in the UK about the option for a tightly regulated route of voluntary euthanasia, where appropriate. Such a discussion still appears too radical for inclusion in a mainstream manifesto in 2017. Too much money to be made from the Care sector, or purely an ethical dilemma?

Does it have to be voluntary? I'd prefer nominations.

All we know is Conservative don't want the middle class vote anymore.

They really do arrogantly think they can chase the lower class vote so obviously and aggressive and still maintain their grip on the middle class vote.

Some of their manifesto is on the wrong side of bonkers. There is a fine line between Genius and madness and May is on the wrong side.

It is also worth noting that 50% of is a complete U-turn on the promises made in the last manifesto.

To say I am disappointed is an understatement.

shauneco

Seems fairer, Once you're dead, you're dead.

Im guessing your parents are broke.

joanddan7

Im guessing your parents are broke.;)

I'm worth more than my parents, Yes.

The dementia tax is a tough one to justify tbh, although i agree the cash has to be found from somewhere wouldn't an increase in NI be a fairer way to to do it, why is someone with heart disease or cancer entitled to life long state care yet a family suffering from what is a terrible disease like dementia must lose their life savings and/or family home.

Personally, I would go for an incredibly radical solution to caring for the elderly.

I would suggest retaining the retirement age at 65, but from 65-67 introducing a nationwide commitment of 2 years care work.

If National Conscription can work in some countries for those aged 18-20, why can't we introduce a 2 year commitment for societal benefit later in life?

Obviously some would have ill health preventing them from participating, but the good it would do in fulfilling an urgent need would be enormous.

Mature people to help solve mature problems. Radical? Yes.

Labour voters should be rushing to the Tories with this manifesto ! I can't believe it ! All conservative values gone . Work hard pay your taxes ,save , accumulate say £300,000 to £400,000 in your lifetime for what reason ! With care running at £60,000 - £80,000 a year you would have to peg it in 4 or 5 years to leave £100 k to your kids . Sadly as Labour are so ineffective - this isn't a manifesto -its what's going to happen !

Yes something has to be done to pay for elderly care and the NHS - but brutal penalisation of the hard workers and savers , in favour of the "couldn't give a toss the state will pay " mindset is ridiculous . If any Labour voter had a brain (which I doubt ) and an eye to the future , they should vote Tory oO .

Conservatives - accept the NHS is costing more , accept elderly care is costing more - 1p on the basic rate is the way to pay for it -not penalising folks who have saved all their lives - Absolutely Bonkers !

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

I'm not going to get into this because I don't think it serves a purpose … I'm not going to get into this because I don't think it serves a purpose to discuss how we view the responsibilities of children to parents differently. Sufficed to say I'm not looking at my kids in terms of me needing them in the future.

You'll have a different perspective on that when you reach a mature age.

DKLS

The religious element won't allow that change any time soon, for now I … The religious element won't allow that change any time soon, for now I would keep a Dignitas fund tucked away for when the time is right and you need a 1 way trip to Switzerland.

It's far too expensive. I'll be doing a Robin Williams.

Original Poster

OllieSt

You'll have a different perspective on that when you reach a mature age.

What age did you view your kids as future caregivers? Was that in your mind before having them?

Sadly she is taxing the hard working diligent people and the ones who spend spend will get their care for free.

Banned

otherwise known as UKIP
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. What's you favourite 60s 70s 80s song ?983229
    2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247552
    3. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread427114623
    4. Sony announce £35,000 PlayStation Pro bundle...1115

See more discussions