The country is in a mess

Found 27th FebEdited by:"OllieSt"
'Fake homeless' being chased out of Torquay as part of campaign

Apparently £20 - 40 a night begging on the street whilst claiming benefits, and a home to go back to make sense to some people.

To be that desperate for money is a sad state of affairs for the 6th wealthiest country on the planet.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
deleted265520
This place is a mess.

The same group of users on here constantly making wild assumptions about homeless people.

Simply having a phone does not make one void of not having a permanent place of residence. I don't want to imagine what goes through the heads of the usual lot on here. Not once have I ever looked at a homeless person on a phone and thought they were a con artist. If I was homeless and dependent on shelters and volunteers one of my first priorities would be getting a cheap phone to maintain a form of communication.

Yes, chancers do exist but they exist every where in all aspects of society. You'd expect the % of frauds to genuine homeless people would be considerably lower than most other areas due to the effort and extreme lack of morals it involves.

On here it seems to be you have to be half dead on the side of a street to qualify for actual "homelessness".

Disgusting.
Edited by: "deleted265520" 27th Feb
I won't judge a homeless person for wanting to escape their reality for a few hours with drugs and or booze. If I donate i do so without attaching any conditions on what they spend it on.
97 Comments
What do you expect? Not to worry Corbyn will sort it all out. With Diane Abbott's mathematical skills the UK will have minus 50 trillion homeless beggars and John MacDonald will have sent them off to labour camps.
While there are many, many people desperate enough. You will also find that some are doing it as a ‘job’. Tax free £200 a week is not a bad top up.
Unfortunately for the real needy it tars them all with a covered brush.
Oneday774 m ago

While there are many, many people desperate enough. You will also find …While there are many, many people desperate enough. You will also find that some are doing it as a ‘job’. Tax free £200 a week is not a bad top up. Unfortunately for the real needy it tars them all with a covered brush.

Yeah, I'm sure people are desperate enough. If working people are going to food banks, then it's entirely possible that some working people may have to beg on the street to make ends meet.
Edited by: "OllieSt" 27th Feb
Fairly sure that the "homeless" people in my city centre aren't all genuinely homeless. Our council has advised that they have offered the appropriate help to everyone who is on the streets and requested that none of them are given money ( was printed in the newsletter they deliver to all residents ) .

Last week on on my way into work I picked up some food for one of the lads I pass though, only to find when I went to give it to him he was chatting away on his mobile and too busy to acknowledge anyone passing by I'm not sure if he was homeless how he could afford to own and run a mobile phone ? The thing is I would happily help someone genuinely in need , but when people run these sorts of scams it makes you not know who to trust . I mentioned it to my daughter and said perhaps the only way to know would be to go out in the middle of the night and see who was still there, but she told me that it's now not uncommon for people who aren't homeless to do a " night shift" begging outside clubs etc around closing time because people are more free with their cash after a night out .
Ingenious.
BBC did a documentary on homeless people and the majority were happy to admit that they accepted money to simply buy drugs.

Sympathy evaporates when you realise that chancers simply want to opt out of regular work/life so they can get high (and they blame others for it).

bbc.co.uk/ipl…-up
Just as its a criminal offence to impersonate a policeman ,doctor etc - It should likewise be a criminal offence to impersonate a homeless person (and all gains confiscated to provide services for the genuine homeless) .

Listened to a feature on the radio today and a guy admitted to "making" £200 on a good day £100 on a bad day !
tinkerbellian27 m ago

Fairly sure that the "homeless" people in my city centre aren't all …Fairly sure that the "homeless" people in my city centre aren't all genuinely homeless. Our council has advised that they have offered the appropriate help to everyone who is on the streets and requested that none of them are given money ( was printed in the newsletter they deliver to all residents ) . Last week on on my way into work I picked up some food for one of the lads I pass though, only to find when I went to give it to him he was chatting away on his mobile and too busy to acknowledge anyone passing by I'm not sure if he was homeless how he could afford to own and run a mobile phone ? The thing is I would happily help someone genuinely in need , but when people run these sorts of scams it makes you not know who to trust . I mentioned it to my daughter and said perhaps the only way to know would be to go out in the middle of the night and see who was still there, but she told me that it's now not uncommon for people who aren't homeless to do a " night shift" begging outside clubs etc around closing time because people are more free with their cash after a night out .

It's a dangerous and slippery slope to assume because someone is homeless, they shouldn't be have to afford/have a mobile phone. It's in the same vein as, 'why do people in third world countries on TV have mobile phones?'.

Mobile phones are an essential part of every day life. Without one, you could lose contact with everyone you know. Lets not forget, you can't even claim benefits without being able to log on to the internet now.

If I was homeless, hanging onto my mobile phone for dear life would be one of things I would prioritise. You could be out, alone at night all of the time, at which point it becomes a matter of safety.

Also this story sprang to mind:

kotaku.com/i-w…569

Oh course it's not good if people are begging when they don't need to, but I don't think you should judge a homeless person based on whether they have a phone. Especially not now they are so cheap to run.
Edited by: "MSK." 27th Feb
The "homeless" in my town collect enough money, pool it and then shoot up in the gents, I suspect they aren't homeless at all. One of them is occasionally spotted in a wheelchair when begging, but not always...

It's a shame as I'd have no issue helping those in genuine need, they seem hard to spot though, once gave a guy £3 outside a London train station, he went straight to the nearby pub.
I got £56 a week jsa, do you really think £20 a day is nothing? Thats £140 a week at least, alot of jobs don't even pay that much
tinkerbellian41 m ago

Fairly sure that the "homeless" people in my city centre aren't all …Fairly sure that the "homeless" people in my city centre aren't all genuinely homeless. Our council has advised that they have offered the appropriate help to everyone who is on the streets and requested that none of them are given money ( was printed in the newsletter they deliver to all residents ) . Last week on on my way into work I picked up some food for one of the lads I pass though, only to find when I went to give it to him he was chatting away on his mobile and too busy to acknowledge anyone passing by I'm not sure if he was homeless how he could afford to own and run a mobile phone ? The thing is I would happily help someone genuinely in need , but when people run these sorts of scams it makes you not know who to trust . I mentioned it to my daughter and said perhaps the only way to know would be to go out in the middle of the night and see who was still there, but she told me that it's now not uncommon for people who aren't homeless to do a " night shift" begging outside clubs etc around closing time because people are more free with their cash after a night out .

Homeless charities hand out phones with top up, they are good for emergencies and you need one to apply for work and contact benefits agencies and things
Richard_Richard8 m ago

The "homeless" in my town collect enough money, pool it and then shoot up …The "homeless" in my town collect enough money, pool it and then shoot up in the gents, I suspect they aren't homeless at all. One of them is occasionally spotted in a wheelchair when begging, but not always...It's a shame as I'd have no issue helping those in genuine need, they seem hard to spot though, once gave a guy £3 outside a London train station, he went straight to the nearby pub.

Why does him going into the pub make you think he wasn't in genuine need?
Genuine question: I don't understand how any legit British citizens can be living on the streets against their will.
I presumed that councils have shelters and emergency housing / bedsits and such arrangements.

I admit I don't know the processes, but am struggling to imagine why anyone who isn't an illegal immigrant would be unable to obtain some kind of accommodation even if temporarily, provided they have access to their paperwork, tax records and so forth.

What am I misunderstanding?
@Bestard emergency accommodation only exists for people who fit into certain categories, under certain circumstances. Unless you have been made homeless by the council, have tiny children, are very ill or under 18, you are very unlikely to be offered any kind of accommodation at all.
MSK.37 m ago

It's a dangerous and slippery slope to assume because someone is homeless, …It's a dangerous and slippery slope to assume because someone is homeless, they shouldn't be have to afford/have a mobile phone. It's in the same vein as, 'why do people in third world countries on TV have mobile phones?'.Mobile phones are an essential part of every day life. Without one, you could lose contact with everyone you know. Lets not forget, you can't even claim benefits without being able to log on to the internet now.If I was homeless, hanging onto my mobile phone for dear life would be one of things I would prioritise. You could be out, alone at night all of the time, at which point it becomes a matter of safety.Also this story sprang to mind:https://kotaku.com/i-was-homeless-and-video-games-saved-my-life-1762767569Oh course it's not good if people are begging when they don't need to, but I don't think you should judge a homeless person based on whether they have a phone. Especially not now they are so cheap to run.

You could be right , the thing is it's very hard to tell, I agree that in that situation I would want to try and hold on to my phone for emergencies, but this very much seemed like a leisurely chat with a friend, which I would question if he would have had the money for when begging to be able to eat.

The businesses in the city centre have been told that people are getting the train into the city in the morning and spending the day begging before going back to homes in their own towns because it's deemed worth while in terms of people's willingness to give money here. I guess that has perhaps made me over suspicious of people's circumstances, along with the council advise. One of the other lads got moved on the other day and went to collect his bike before cycling off, again I don't know his circumstances but it certainly looked more expensive than either mine or my husbandsbikes so again it made me question if he was genuine or another of our visitors coming in for the day.

Before anyone suggests we just give the funds to charity, we do , however if I knew which people were genuinely homeless, I would like to be able to help them too, which is hard to do given the current influx .
Segata-Sanshiro25 m ago

Homeless charities hand out phones with top up, they are good for …Homeless charities hand out phones with top up, they are good for emergencies and you need one to apply for work and contact benefits agencies and things

I didn't know that , so that might explain it , will see if he is around this week still.
Uranus27th Feb

Genuine question: I don't understand how any legit British citizens can be …Genuine question: I don't understand how any legit British citizens can be living on the streets against their will.I presumed that councils have shelters and emergency housing / bedsits and such arrangements.I admit I don't know the processes, but am struggling to imagine why anyone who isn't an illegal immigrant would be unable to obtain some kind of accommodation even if temporarily, provided they have access to their paperwork, tax records and so forth.What am I misunderstanding?

The only people the council has a duty to house are those with children, the disabled and those over 60
Segata-Sanshiro15 m ago

The only people the council has a duty to house are those with children, …The only people the council has a duty to house are those with children, the disabled and those over 60

If that's true, and I'm not doubting you, does that mean a battered childless woman would not get a home beyond temporary shelter
Edited by: "OllieSt" 27th Feb
MSK.42 m ago

Why does him going into the pub make you think he wasn't in genuine need?

Unless the pub had an offer on butties? It was "you got a couple of quid for a sandwich mate?" and as soon as I gave it to him off he popped.
He might be an alcoholic in need of a beer, but don't lie about it, just say you want a few quid and not lie as to why rather than lie to my face.
OllieSt14 m ago

If that's true, and I'm not doubting you, does that mean a battered …If that's true, and I'm not doubting you, does that mean a battered childless woman would not get a home beyond temporary shelter

Dude where i live a battered woman with children will not get a home beyond temporary accommodation.

Temporary accommodation is a bedsit, hostel, shelter or b&b from a HA, Charity or private landlord with a contract to the council, they must be in it no more then six months, so after six months the council shunts people to a different one and after another six months to a third one or back to the first and they can carry on doing that for years because its all within their rules.
Richard_Richard10 m ago

Unless the pub had an offer on butties? It was "you got a couple of quid …Unless the pub had an offer on butties? It was "you got a couple of quid for a sandwich mate?" and as soon as I gave it to him off he popped.He might be an alcoholic in need of a beer, but don't lie about it, just say you want a few quid and not lie as to why rather than lie to my face.

But pubs sell food
Segata-Sanshiro5 m ago

But pubs sell food

And so do the markets/shops he walked past to get to the pub, how I remember it was not even a thanks, just turned around and headed straight for the nearest pub. No I can't state with 100% certainty he bought a pint as I didn't follow him in but it's an educated guess. Even a couple of the lads I was with were like "he's done you there" so it left a sour taste when you think you're doing someone a favour, for them to take the p*ss.
Begging is illegal. Don't support beggars by giving them money
Muslims are very generous, if you go round Acton high street at kicking out time from the mosque you will see at least 7 beggers on the side of the road the mosque is, all of them showing or faking somekind of disability or sitting there with kids.

They do get money from people I'm assuming a lot to make it worth it, but i find it funny as they use as an excuse the very things that will get you benefits no questions asked.

Your most likely to be skint and homeless if your a able body single male under 40
Richard_Richard5 m ago

And so do the markets/shops he walked past to get to the pub, how I …And so do the markets/shops he walked past to get to the pub, how I remember it was not even a thanks, just turned around and headed straight for the nearest pub. No I can't state with 100% certainty he bought a pint as I didn't follow him in but it's an educated guess. Even a couple of the lads I was with were like "he's done you there" so it left a sour taste when you think you're doing someone a favour, for them to take the p*ss.

I don't know pub grub is very generous, i don't see why you assume and even if he was buying a pint is that really so bad? If the man is a alcoholic going cold turkey is dangerous.
Richard_Richard22 m ago

Unless the pub had an offer on butties? It was "you got a couple of quid …Unless the pub had an offer on butties? It was "you got a couple of quid for a sandwich mate?" and as soon as I gave it to him off he popped.He might be an alcoholic in need of a beer, but don't lie about it, just say you want a few quid and not lie as to why rather than lie to my face.

So many you've made there assumptions, it's hard to know where to start with that. If you can't give £3 in good spirit, then perhaps you shouldn't. It's clearly affected you deeply.
MSK.2 m ago

So many you've made there assumptions, it's hard to know where to start …So many you've made there assumptions, it's hard to know where to start with that. If you can't give £3 in good spirit, then perhaps you shouldn't. It's clearly affected you deeply.

Don't worry I don't any more, cheers for your concern over my emotional well being though.
Segata-Sanshiro5 m ago

I don't know pub grub is very generous, i don't see why you assume and …I don't know pub grub is very generous, i don't see why you assume and even if he was buying a pint is that really so bad? If the man is a alcoholic going cold turkey is dangerous.

As I posted above as a response to another it was the lie about the reason, or perceived lie by myself, I might be wrong, but I don't think I am.
Uranus27th Feb

Genuine question: I don't understand how any legit British citizens can be …Genuine question: I don't understand how any legit British citizens can be living on the streets against their will.I presumed that councils have shelters and emergency housing / bedsits and such arrangements.I admit I don't know the processes, but am struggling to imagine why anyone who isn't an illegal immigrant would be unable to obtain some kind of accommodation even if temporarily, provided they have access to their paperwork, tax records and so forth.What am I misunderstanding?

I have a friend who was homeless with his misses and he told me stories of these shelters, a lot of homeless don't want to be homeless but would rather sleep rough than with a load of criminals, people using drugs in the rooms and/or street walkers. After hearing some of his stories a doorway sounds like a comfy place.
Richard_Richard1 h, 41 m ago

The "homeless" in my town collect enough money, pool it and then shoot up …The "homeless" in my town collect enough money, pool it and then shoot up in the gents, I suspect they aren't homeless at all. One of them is occasionally spotted in a wheelchair when begging, but not always...It's a shame as I'd have no issue helping those in genuine need, they seem hard to spot though, once gave a guy £3 outside a London train station, he went straight to the nearby pub.

Maybe they wanted to use the loo ?
Or get a free glass of water ?
Maybe in this weather they just wanted somewhere warm a dry to go until they got kicked out?
Uranus27th Feb

Take a walk into a homeless night shelter and see what its like for real most genuine homeless people actually feel safer on the streets in a town center doorway knowing cctv watches over them. Night shelters are very unsafe places people get mugged and beaten up in them plus drugs are rife as they all congregate together it's also a very noisy environment. Not all are bad but some are really bad. On the whole people want to help but get put off helping because of professional beggars nobody can tell the difference which ruins it for the genuine ones I have seen a massive increase in homeless people in my town over the last two years. Something is wrong in the system somewhere and I expect it's probably down to universal credit.
Segata-Sanshiro1 h, 46 m ago

I got £56 a week jsa, do you really think £20 a day is nothing? Thats £140 …I got £56 a week jsa, do you really think £20 a day is nothing? Thats £140 a week at least, alot of jobs don't even pay that much

What jobs don't pay 140 a week, that's day rate for semi skilled.
Catch the scum and stop the benefits.
Wongy11014 m ago

Maybe they wanted to use the loo ?Or get a free glass of water ?Maybe in …Maybe they wanted to use the loo ?Or get a free glass of water ?Maybe in this weather they just wanted somewhere warm a dry to go until they got kicked out?

It wasn't today, it was a beautiful summer's day some years ago, so maybe you're right about the glass of water? Maybe I'm right about a pint, we'll never know.
I suppose the junkies/smackheads (or whatever you choose to call them) could give up begging and come round and burgle your house to get cash .
deleted265520
This place is a mess.

The same group of users on here constantly making wild assumptions about homeless people.

Simply having a phone does not make one void of not having a permanent place of residence. I don't want to imagine what goes through the heads of the usual lot on here. Not once have I ever looked at a homeless person on a phone and thought they were a con artist. If I was homeless and dependent on shelters and volunteers one of my first priorities would be getting a cheap phone to maintain a form of communication.

Yes, chancers do exist but they exist every where in all aspects of society. You'd expect the % of frauds to genuine homeless people would be considerably lower than most other areas due to the effort and extreme lack of morals it involves.

On here it seems to be you have to be half dead on the side of a street to qualify for actual "homelessness".

Disgusting.
Edited by: "deleted265520" 27th Feb
Haven't read the whole thread, but these sort of threads are scary in that all beggars get tarred with the same brush.
Of course, there are those that may not be 'homeless' - but, the other side of that is there are those who genuinely are, and they suffer badly when these sort of suspicions dominate people's attitudes towards them.

Just for balance, our church takes turns along with other churches to feed people living on the streets - they go out in the middle of the night with hot drinks, dry blankets etc, almost every year they report a homeless person found dead.
So far this year they have reported three bodies found - almost one every three weeks - frozen to death in busy city streets.

Only one of the three was mentioned in the local press, perhaps because he was a former soldier, but the press don't generally write about such deaths.

The so-called 'beast from the East' is upon us, this is not the time for anyone to be out in the open, far less sleep out in it, it's almost a certainty some homeless won't be wakening up during the next few nights on our streets.
Uranus27th Feb

peoples' motivation to live outside the system, alternate lifestyle, mental health issues, abuse within care system, abuse from family, criminal record, drug abuse, antisocial behaviour, obvious really.
I'd say most of the comments in this thread are more the problem of this country rather than the amount of homeless people!

So much ignorance and selfishness in here it is unbelievable!

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants