The Crystal Maze is returning to Channel 4 with Richard Ayoade as host!

Editor
Well colour me excited

[img]i.imgur.com/p74…jpg?1[/img]
(Via Digital Spy)

It's official – The Crystal Maze is returning to Channel 4 for a brand new full series!

Following recent reports, it's now been confirmed that The IT Crowd's Richard Ayoade will be stepping in to host 20 hour-long episodes later this year.

The new series will be filmed at a purpose-built maze in Bristol that's being created by the original Crystal Maze designer James Dillon and spans over 30,000 square feet.

Tom Beck, Head of Live & Events at Channel 4, said: "The Stand Up to Cancer special was so brilliant and so successful that commissioning a series of The Crystal Maze was almost a no-brainer.

"And I couldn't be more pleased and excited that Richard has agreed to become the new Maze Master – he's an inspired choice."

28 Comments

Brilliant choice of host!!!

but is he gonna shave his hair off

davewave

Brilliant choice of host!!!

Id say terrible myself, hes too dry for this show

hurrah.

Great 90's telly. Liked the special so looking forward to it's return.

Good 90's Crystal Maze parody

Edited by: "crazyhorse" 13th Jan

loved crystal maze as a kid now watch fort boyard with the kids on citv which is surprisingly good.

Yes!!!! Love the crystal maze, can't picture Ayoade doing the crazy talking to his mother or odd pet in the corner though. These parts made the original show even better! X)

It's being made in Bristol, although the set hasn't been built yet. I'm wondering how long before we find out more.

crazyhorse

Great 90's telly. Liked the special so looking forward to it's … Great 90's telly. Liked the special so looking forward to it's return.Good 90's Crystal Maze parody

I remember that.

'I can't see what I have to do!'
'I'm coming out!'

Bout time there was something to watch on tv

Used to love this. Enjoyed the red nose celebrity one last year too.

20 hours seems a bit long

arasma

You know it means 20, hour long episodes not a episode thats 20 hours long.

I'm not sure how I feel about this, cannot find a gif to put my feelings to. The celebrity one was poo. I'm not sure a new one can live up to the memories or to Richard.

I wonder how the maze masters are in the one you can play in London? Almost wish they had picked one of them. An unknown who's had a lot of time to practise.

I think I'd still rather have a crack at the game myself, at least that's not competing with my nostalgia.

Oh yes , I can see that working , rather like travelman . Guess they are also hoping for a younger wave of viewers rather than just us older fraternity who remember the originals.

nar,no one can beat o brien
http://digitalspyuk.cdnds.net/16/36/480x353/gallery-1473333050-crystal-maze-richard-o-brien.gif

moneysavingkitten

I'm not sure how I feel about this, cannot find a gif to put my feelings … I'm not sure how I feel about this, cannot find a gif to put my feelings to.

How about

http://cdn.niketalk.com/9/9d/200x200px-ZC-9dbb351a_larry-david.gif

I think I'd still rather have a crack at the game myself, at least that's … I think I'd still rather have a crack at the game myself, at least that's not competing with my nostalgia.

How about organising a HUKD Crystal Maze day?

moneysavingkitten

I'm not sure how I feel about this, cannot find a gif to put my feelings … I'm not sure how I feel about this, cannot find a gif to put my feelings to. The celebrity one was poo. I'm not sure a new one can live up to the memories or to Richard.I wonder how the maze masters are in the one you can play in London? Almost wish they had picked one of them. An unknown who's had a lot of time to practise. I think I'd still rather have a crack at the game myself, at least that's not competing with my nostalgia.

​I agree the celebrity one was rubbish they should have watched a few episodes before going in.

Brave choice of host Richard Ayoade is an amazingly talented guy
bit disappointed he is 'just' hosting a game show tbh

moneysavingkitten

I'm not sure how I feel about this, cannot find a gif to put my feelings … I'm not sure how I feel about this, cannot find a gif to put my feelings to.

I think I'd still rather have a crack at the game myself, at least … I think I'd still rather have a crack at the game myself, at least that's not competing with my nostalgia.

The eyes are right, but the mouth isn't. I was sort of sucking my lips in.

What a genius idea! I wonder why no one has ever tried that before

thewongwing101

Brave choice of host Richard Ayoade is an amazingly talented guybit … Brave choice of host Richard Ayoade is an amazingly talented guybit disappointed he is 'just' hosting a game show tbh

I can see he might get the mean bit down quite well, but I just dunno. I am so trepidacious about this.

adhkarzf

​I agree the celebrity one was rubbish they should have watched a few e … ​I agree the celebrity one was rubbish they should have watched a few episodes before going in.

Yeah, the only bit that worked was the 30 seconds of Richard O'brien. It's a shame some people have to get old.

i thought stephen merchant was excellent, shame he isn't hosting this instead

I will definately watch this. Used to love the program, especially screaming with everyone else, 'get out of there you idiot'. Lol X)

jayjayuk1234

i thought stephen merchant was excellent, shame he isn't hosting this … i thought stephen merchant was excellent, shame he isn't hosting this instead

I agree, how did Stephen Merchant not get the job after the stand up to cancer one? Would have made this unmissable.

I like Merchant but presumably he doesn't need the money. Twenty episodes is quite a lengthy stint and I suspect he'd have concerns about keeping the banter fresh and interesting. I'm less sure about Ayodade, he seems fairly smart and I do occasionally find him amusing but I'm not really a fan.
Edited by: "MBeeching" 14th Jan

How about organising a HUKD Crystal Maze day?

If it was like MISC, everyone arguing, shouting, fighting, swearing, backstabbing each other, and being sarcastic. Sounds like Fun X) . Only problem how in the hell will the Team Leader, 'cough',Mods nominate the player for each game (_;)
Edited by: "nemesiz" 14th Jan

arasma

More like The Crystal Meth show to have the stamina to go for that long.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!2642
    2. Thousands of minimum wage workers to receive part of £2,000,000 compensatio…44
    3. Weekly game codes giveaway 183722
    4. How much would you pay for this chair?1214

See more discussions