The darkest of Fridays in North Sinai Egypt, very sad news

Found 24th Nov 2017
Egypt mosque attack: At least 184 killed in Sinai

Suspected militants have launched a bomb and gun attack on a mosque in Egypt's North Sinai province, killing at least 184 people, state media say.

Witnesses say the al-Rawda mosque in the town of Bir al-Abed, near al-Arish, was targeted during Friday prayers.

Local police said men in four off-road vehicles opened fire on worshippers, AP reported.

Egypt has been fighting an Islamist insurgency in the region, which has intensified since 2013.

There have been regular attacks blamed on militants on the Sinai peninsula, but this is the deadliest assault of its kind.

Pictures from the scene show rows of bloodied victims inside the mosque. At least 125 people were also wounded, reports say.
Community Updates
Misc
60 Comments
Is Egypt in Africa?
david_wavid2 m ago

Is Egypt in Africa?

yes, but also the middle eaST.
Edited by: "catbeans" 24th Nov 2017
catbeans7 m ago

yes, but also the middle eaST.

Actually it's classified as part of Africa and Asia
OllieSt33 m ago

Actually it's classified as part of Africa and Asia

Africa, Asia and the middle east.

I presume he was asking because the story is located in the middle east tab of the BBC website.
Poor poor people, so sad.
No peace anywhere in the world...
The fact these are Sufis implies the motivation of the vicious terrorists

Economist

IT IS the bloodiest terror attack in Egypt’s modern history. On November 24th gunmen assaulted a mosque in the North Sinai town of Bir al-Abed, 72km east of the Suez canal (see map). The mosque was packed with worshippers who had gathered for Friday prayers. By mid-afternoon, the fast-rising death toll had reached 235, with scores more injured. Much of the peninsula is a closed military zone, inaccessible to journalists, but witnesses told state television that the attackers set off bombs inside the mosque, then shot worshippers as they fled. Paramedics came under fire when they arrived to treat the victims.

No one has yet claimed responsibility, but suspicion quickly fell on the jihadists of Islamic State (IS), who have waged a bloody years-long battle against the Egyptian army. The group has no qualms about attacking houses of worship. Gunmen tried to shoot up a church in North Sinai in October, and suicide bombers killed dozens of worshippers on Palm Sunday this year in two churches on the Egyptian mainland. But attacks on mosques are rare.

The worshippers in Bir al-Abed were Sufis, followers of a mystical sect that many Muslim extremists consider heretical. In an interview with an IS magazine in January, a top militant in Sinai called Sufism “one of the worst diseases” and vowed to “wage war” against it. Still, although the group has threatened and killed individual Sufis, this would be its first high-profile assault on a mosque in Egypt. It is a worrying shift in tactics—and one that will revolt the vast majority of Egyptians.

Edited by: "davewave" 24th Nov 2017
Absolutely appalling that such evil walks among us.

Thoughts are with the families who are now faced with the horror of having their beloved taken from them.
May God have mercy on the souls of the departed & give patience & courage to their families, to bear this awful awful incident.
deleted265520
no_Sunshine53 m ago

May God have mercy on the souls of the departed & give patience & courage …May God have mercy on the souls of the departed & give patience & courage to their families, to bear this awful awful incident.

They were praying at the time of their deaths so I'm not sure any more dedication to that Sky Fairy will change anything.
DT8924th Nov 2017

They were praying at the time of their deaths so I'm not sure any more …They were praying at the time of their deaths so I'm not sure any more dedication to that Sky Fairy will change anything.

We all have to go one day. If they were praying and IF there's a God, then hopefully their sins would've been purged...?
And just before Christmas too rip
DT8924th Nov 2017

They were praying at the time of their deaths so I'm not sure any more …They were praying at the time of their deaths so I'm not sure any more dedication to that Sky Fairy will change anything.

Nobody deserves to be murdered as they were.

They were the victims of malevolent madmen who believe they can make the world a better place by murdering everyone who disagrees with them - and madmen who believe such things aren't necessarily religious.

There are many secular thinkers who also believe they can make the world a better place by murdering everyone who disagrees with them. It wasn't so long ago the communists were murdering religious people.

There are and always have been many who believe the world would be a better place if only we all thought as they do, and they are all quite mad.
deleted265520
no_Sunshine1 h, 33 m ago

We all have to go one day. If they were praying and IF there's a God, then …We all have to go one day. If they were praying and IF there's a God, then hopefully their sins would've been purged...?

Innocent people have been slaughtered and you're referring to their sins being purged?

That's disgusting.
deleted265520
tryn2help1 h, 6 m ago

Nobody deserves to be murdered as they were.They were the victims of …Nobody deserves to be murdered as they were.They were the victims of malevolent madmen who believe they can make the world a better place by murdering everyone who disagrees with them - and madmen who believe such things aren't necessarily religious.There are many secular thinkers who also believe they can make the world a better place by murdering everyone who disagrees with them. It wasn't so long ago the communists were murdering religious people.There are and always have been many who believe the world would be a better place if only we all thought as they do, and they are all quite mad.

Sounds like you're forgetting one thing.
They were murdered by Islamist extremists. Although it is a very warped and extreme view of Islam its still a view of Islam. Islam is a religion.

Not sure what relevance the secularism comment has in regards to this horrible massacre.
DT8924th Nov 2017

Sounds like you're forgetting one thing.They were murdered by Islamist …Sounds like you're forgetting one thing.They were murdered by Islamist extremists. Although it is a very warped and extreme view of Islam its still a view of Islam. Islam is a religion.Not sure what relevance the secularism comment has in regards to this horrible massacre.

My main point is that we have always had madmen who believe the only way to make the world a better place is if they rid the world of everyone who disagrees with them.
My second point is that those madmen don't necessarily have to be religious to hold such a belief.

If I could ask them one question it would be; "Do you really believe the world would be a better place if we were all forced to live as robotic beings?"
Hi, I'm Repeatoman from the Clan de Cliche tribe. I believe and repeat everything i see and read in main stream media.
deleted265520
tryn2help20 m ago

My main point is that we have always had madmen who believe the only way …My main point is that we have always had madmen who believe the only way to make the world a better place is if they rid the world of everyone who disagrees with them.My second point is that those madmen don't necessarily have to be religious to hold such a belief.If I could ask them one question it would be; "Do you really believe the world would be a better place if we were all forced to live as robotic beings?"

Well History tells us that these different types of madmen are dealt with... eventually.

You're trying to deflect from the issue at hand. What is it that's driving these savages to kill innocent people across the world? It's not isolated incidents and has been happening on a widespread scale for the best part of two decades.

Burying your head in the sand and saying that 70 years ago it was the Nazis committing widespread mass murder doesn't really do anything. We all know that it - it doesn't need to be said.

The issue at hand now is that there is an inherent problem with how Islamic teaching and scripture is being interpreted.

It's this interpretation that needs addressing. If a text can be interpreted in such a way that harks back to medieval times and can be used to brainwash people en masse then said text is dangerous and needs to be modernised or be abolished.

So yes, the current "madman" problem is a religious problem.
It happened with Christianity and is now why the vast majority of Christians do not take the teachings so literally. Ignoring the stupid amount of contradictions one cannot follow 500+ year old teachings in the modern world. It is incompatible.

Islam needs to hurry up and modernise to root out the evil within.

Orthodox Ambrahmic teachings have no place in a liberal and free thinking World.
Edited by: "deleted265520" 24th Nov 2017
DT8924th Nov 2017

Innocent people have been slaughtered and you're referring to their sins …Innocent people have been slaughtered and you're referring to their sins being purged?That's disgusting.

You were making fun of God, all I said was that IF there is God, hopefully they will all be rewarded appropriately in the hereafter for the atrocity they suffered at the hands of other so-called God-believers - Positive things is all we can say now, negativity helped making nothing better.
Not trying to deflect at all, it's only the latest in a long history - and it's almost certainly a long way from the last.

Addressing the here and now may address the here and now, but human nature demonstrates more to follow, whether it be another flawed ideology or flawed theology is no matter, human nature is what it is and it is destructive.

It's one thing to identify what's driving the latest lot, but the drive they all have in common is the mad belief that they can make the world a better place.

Indeed, in this context your beloved ideology of liberalism is in the same 'better world' camp, and this despite the fact your own take on liberalism is not so liberal as to leave the door ajar for particular faiths, nor is it so free thinking to allow persons to freely think about those particular faiths.
DT8924th Nov 2017

Well History tells us that these different types of madmen are dealt …Well History tells us that these different types of madmen are dealt with... eventually.You're trying to deflect from the issue at hand. What is it that's driving these savages to kill innocent people across the world? It's not isolated incidents and has been happening on a widespread scale for the best part of two decades. Burying your head in the sand and saying that 70 years ago it was the Nazis committing widespread mass murder doesn't really do anything. We all know that it - it doesn't need to be said. The issue at hand now is that there is an inherent problem with how Islamic teaching and scripture is being interpreted. It's this interpretation that needs addressing. If a text can be interpreted in such a way that harks back to medieval times and can be used to brainwash people en masse then said text is dangerous and needs to be modernised or be abolished. So yes, the current "madman" problem is a religious problem.It happened with Christianity and is now why the vast majority of Christians do not take the teachings so literally. Ignoring the stupid amount of contradictions one cannot follow 500+ year old teachings in the modern world. It is incompatible. Islam needs to hurry up and modernise to root out the evil within. Orthodox Ambrahmic teachings have no place in a liberal and free thinking World.

What's your opinion on the 125,000 abortions carried out daily around the world? They are most certainly not isolated incidents and to many people that has a far more negative impact on the world than Orthodox Abrahamic teachings
DT8924th Nov 2017

Well History tells us that these different types of madmen are dealt …Well History tells us that these different types of madmen are dealt with... eventually.You're trying to deflect from the issue at hand. What is it that's driving these savages to kill innocent people across the world? It's not isolated incidents and has been happening on a widespread scale for the best part of two decades. Burying your head in the sand and saying that 70 years ago it was the Nazis committing widespread mass murder doesn't really do anything. We all know that it - it doesn't need to be said. The issue at hand now is that there is an inherent problem with how Islamic teaching and scripture is being interpreted. It's this interpretation that needs addressing. If a text can be interpreted in such a way that harks back to medieval times and can be used to brainwash people en masse then said text is dangerous and needs to be modernised or be abolished. So yes, the current "madman" problem is a religious problem.It happened with Christianity and is now why the vast majority of Christians do not take the teachings so literally. Ignoring the stupid amount of contradictions one cannot follow 500+ year old teachings in the modern world. It is incompatible. Islam needs to hurry up and modernise to root out the evil within. Orthodox Ambrahmic teachings have no place in a liberal and free thinking World.

Well, you've done it now. Started this debate. Let me increase your knowledge-base, i.e. it is our involvement (the West) that has made things worse. We created Taliban & Al Qaeda to counter Soviets; then when our goal was achieved, we turned a blind eye to them - We supported Israel against native Palestinians, that didn't help either. We deposed Saddam Hussain rightly, but on a wrong pretext and laid the foundation of IS - It was us that caused all the unrest in Middle East, for our greed for oil - It was us who started all the unrest in Africa, because we wanted to mine there.

Yet, we have the audacity to blame a religion? Religions can't hold knives, fire guns, blow bombs - Enraged followers of a religion do. We're supporting Saudi Arabia as our best friend (USA doing the same), Saudis are founders of Wahabi ideology (most extremist interpretation of Islam written by a Saudi about 100-150 years ago), same ideology that Saudia is spreading in every Muslim country - Sponsored by our Petro-dollars/Petro-pounds - IS follow same ideology and Saudis armed them.

We lecture about democracy in the far-corners of the World, yet our best friend Saudi Arabia is the worst usurper of rights of its people and countries next door. Saudi Arabia is involved in a genocide directly in Yemen and indirectly in Syria, Lebanon & Libya - But we dare not say anything to our favourite dog.

So, don't blame a religion, especially when most of its followers (99.9%) are peaceful human beings - Rather stop radicalisation by stopping Saudis and by stop meddling in other people's countries etc.
tryn2help9 m ago

Not trying to deflect at all, it's only the latest in a long history - …Not trying to deflect at all, it's only the latest in a long history - and it's almost certainly a long way from the last. Addressing the here and now may address the here and now, but human nature demonstrates more to follow, whether it be another flawed ideology or flawed theology is no matter, human nature is what it is and it is destructive.It's one thing to identify what's driving the latest lot, but the drive they all have in common is the mad belief that they can make the world a better place.Indeed, in this context your beloved ideology of liberalism is in the same 'better world' camp, and this despite the fact your own take on liberalism is not so liberal as to leave the door ajar for particular faiths, nor is it so free thinking to allow persons to freely think about those particular faiths.

Ditto! Couldn't have said it better myself.
DT8924th Nov 2017

Orthodox Ambrahmic teachings have no place in a liberal and free thinking …Orthodox Ambrahmic teachings have no place in a liberal and free thinking World.

Are you opposed to people exercising their right / freedom to practice a religion the way it was originally intended?
deleted265520
OllieSt25 m ago

What's your opinion on the 125,000 abortions carried out daily around the …What's your opinion on the 125,000 abortions carried out daily around the world? They are most certainly not isolated incidents and to many people that has a far more negative impact on the world than Orthodox Abrahamic teachings

Irrelevant to the topic at hand. Nice to see another attempt of trying to get into an argument whilst thread spoiling.
deleted265520
Destard19 m ago

Are you opposed to people exercising their right / freedom to practice a …Are you opposed to people exercising their right / freedom to practice a religion the way it was originally intended?

Yes, I am if the original teachings recommended killing all non believers.

That's the issue. People stopped taking the Old Testament so literally around the Enlightenment period. Islam in the Middle East, South East Asia, North & West Africa hasn't really got to that level yet.
deleted265520
no_Sunshine36 m ago

You were making fun of God, all I said was that IF there is God, hopefully …You were making fun of God, all I said was that IF there is God, hopefully they will all be rewarded appropriately in the hereafter for the atrocity they suffered at the hands of other so-called God-believers - Positive things is all we can say now, negativity helped making nothing better.

Purging sins sounds awfully negative. Especially after such a tragedy.
DT8924th Nov 2017

Irrelevant to the topic at hand. Nice to see another attempt of trying to …Irrelevant to the topic at hand. Nice to see another attempt of trying to get into an argument whilst thread spoiling.

It's a discussion. Can you not have one of those without an argument? I also believe my comment was pertinent as some people see abortion as the killing of innocents.
DT8924th Nov 2017

Purging sins sounds awfully negative. Especially after such a tragedy.

Maybe it sounds negative because you're negative? What that meant was that those 200+ people went through such a horrible & unfair tragedy, not at all of their own making, that IF there is a God, He will send them straight into Heaven (if there's a Heaven).
deleted265520
tryn2help37 m ago

Not trying to deflect at all, it's only the latest in a long history - …Not trying to deflect at all, it's only the latest in a long history - and it's almost certainly a long way from the last. Addressing the here and now may address the here and now, but human nature demonstrates more to follow, whether it be another flawed ideology or flawed theology is no matter, human nature is what it is and it is destructive.It's one thing to identify what's driving the latest lot, but the drive they all have in common is the mad belief that they can make the world a better place.Indeed, in this context your beloved ideology of liberalism is in the same 'better world' camp, and this despite the fact your own take on liberalism is not so liberal as to leave the door ajar for particular faiths, nor is it so free thinking to allow persons to freely think about those particular faiths.

Putting aside all the filler I'll address your single point.

Actions resolve issues. Yes, in the next 50 years there will be probably be another group of murdering lunatics but we can only resolve situations in the present.

If you've got some cure to prevent all future killers then please do reveal it.
deleted265520
no_Sunshine5 m ago

Maybe it sounds negative because you're negative? What that meant was that …Maybe it sounds negative because you're negative? What that meant was that those 200+ people went through such a horrible & unfair tragedy, not at all of their own making, that IF there is a God, He will send them straight into Heaven (if there's a Heaven).

Almost 250 people died and your words were "hopefully their sins will be purged"

Sins.
Purged.
Hopefully.

How many sins does a young child have?
That's not me just viewing your words as negative. That's your words being awfully ill judged considering the event.
deleted265520
OllieSt7 m ago

It's a discussion. Can you not have one of those without an argument? I …It's a discussion. Can you not have one of those without an argument? I also believe my comment was pertinent as some people see abortion as the killing of innocents.

Are you comparing an abortion to 200 people being slaughtered whilst at prayer?

That's two people ITT with really alarming mindsets.
DT8924th Nov 2017

Yes, I am if the original teachings recommended killing all non believers. …Yes, I am if the original teachings recommended killing all non believers. That's the issue. People stopped taking the Old Testament so literally around the Enlightenment period. Islam in the Middle East, South East Asia, North & West Africa hasn't really got to that level yet.

Here I agree with you. Islam needs to hurry up and get over it's internal violence that can be witnessed within minutes in 2017. When the Crusaders were slaughtering, the world was a much bigger place. The bit I can't tolerate is when people blame Islamic problems on anyone/everyone else.

If you care to look at the comments left on the Iranian news channel you'll get a rough idea of what I mean
DT8924th Nov 2017

Are you comparing an abortion to 200 people being slaughtered whilst at …Are you comparing an abortion to 200 people being slaughtered whilst at prayer?That's two people ITT with really alarming mindsets.

With your confessed opposition to people being allowed to practice their religion, make that three.
OllieSt59 m ago

Here I agree with you. Islam needs to hurry up and get over it's internal …Here I agree with you. Islam needs to hurry up and get over it's internal violence that can be witnessed within minutes in 2017. When the Crusaders were slaughtering, the world was a much bigger place. The bit I can't tolerate is when people blame Islamic problems on anyone/everyone else.If you care to look at the comments left on the Iranian news channel you'll get a rough idea of what I mean

Not seeing any comments on the Royal Navy article you linked to. Do you have an updated link?
Edited by: "Uranus" 25th Nov 2017
deleted265520
OllieSt10 m ago

Here I agree with you. Islam needs to hurry up and get over it's internal …Here I agree with you. Islam needs to hurry up and get over it's internal violence that can be witnessed within minutes in 2017. When the Crusaders were slaughtering, the world was a much bigger place. The bit I can't tolerate is when people blame Islamic problems on anyone/everyone else.If you care to look at the comments left on the Iranian news channel you'll get a rough idea of what I mean

Well that's all I've been saying in this thread.

Extremist Islamic views within Islam are a very small minority.

Fundamentalist Islamic views within Islam are more prevalent especially in areas outside of the West.

However, the issue is when large numbers cross from fundamentalism to extremism and this is becoming more common.

This is driven by numerous things such as anti-Western surge due to the disasters in Afghanistan & Iraq. However, it is also driven by people interpreting Islamic doctrine and scripture to radicalise others.

This part can be addressed by Islam itself realising it is in the 21st Century and to cohabit in a peaceful word it needs to adapt and view teachings of old as tales rather than reality.
deleted265520
Destard4 m ago

With your confessed opposition to people being allowed to practice their …With your confessed opposition to people being allowed to practice their religion, make that three.

Please read my posts again.
DT8924th Nov 2017

Are you comparing an abortion to 200 people being slaughtered whilst at …Are you comparing an abortion to 200 people being slaughtered whilst at prayer?That's two people ITT with really alarming mindsets.

You'll have to try better than that.

I'm comparing 40-50 million abortions per annum to 200 people being slaughtered whilst at prayer.
deleted265520
OllieSt6 m ago

You'll have to try better than that.I'm comparing 40-50 million abortions …You'll have to try better than that.I'm comparing 40-50 million abortions per annum to 200 people being slaughtered whilst at prayer.

Can you please clarify out of those 50,000,000 how many were at a stage where they were no longer considered cells but a foetus?

Out of the remainder can you clarify how many were outside of a woman being raped?

Out of the remainder of that can you clarify how many weren't forced to have the abortion by someone else?

In short there is no comparison other than the fact that it is ending a life.
What I find more revealing is that in an attempt to ridicule my argument you've tried to draw a comparison between a woman making the hardest choice of her life and a group of savages shooting innocents in a mosque.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants