The deals on here.

Found 9th Feb
Anyone think that 99.9% of the deals on here are just crap now compared to what it used to be.
I mean do we really need to know asda knocked 10p off a chocolate bar. Have to wade through all this crap and still hard to find a relevant deal.
And yes that's with even setting my own keywords.
I guess most vendors are also now aware of this site and others, and with it being so big now and people trying desperately to get that hot vote are we being flooded with pointless deals?
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
For me its the constant cheap Chinese tat deals. Followed by people complaining their item is late or not arrived.
problem is every now and then, something does appear that appeals to me, so I will probably stick around
if the mods/admins/editors would stop stop posting paid ads masquerading as deals/misc posts, people might be able to find the actual proper deals
FrozenDreams, it's been almost three years since you last posted a deal. If you don't like the deals here, maybe you should try and contribute some deals yourself?
33 Comments
Yes , No , Yes , Yes .
Might need to change something in group selection then. If that doesn't work then the best thing todo is not use the site in the future. Times change.....move along with it
The reason really is that people have money, the economy is not under strain therefore heaving discounting is not really required .

Casting back to 2010 or so shops had stocks, manufactures had to keep producing and hence prices were slashed.

In general right now there is flowing equilibrium between prices, buyers and availability.

Shops are smarter too, they discount items they buy cheaper. It looks like a deal or a heavy cut but in fact the products were just at a high retail price to start with. "Polaroid" 32" TV's for example, RRP £199 discount to £99. But they were junk, no one would have wanted this item at RRP, it was only a black Friday "wools over their eyes" job.

40" SOny that always sold for £599 now only £300 as the shop is going bust or there cash flow issues at retailers needing to settle debts with the manufactures seems like a great deal to us!

If the economy begins to recess you will see the price cuts, if it accelerates quickly and wages rise you will see short term discounting and shops and manufactures being to re-orientate there stock and products to more accomodate an increase in disposable wealth.

If it stays flat like it is now, where disposable wealth in general is about the same year on then prices will match that.

It is really a very logical game!
Edited by: "groenleader" 9th Feb
For me its the constant cheap Chinese tat deals. Followed by people complaining their item is late or not arrived.
problem is every now and then, something does appear that appeals to me, so I will probably stick around
The difference for me is that I used to see a deal and use it as a way of moving my existing gear on, whether it be selling via eBay, Amazon or For Sale/For Trade - FS/FT doesn't exist anymore and I've got jaded with Royal Mail just being expensive and rubbish, so I buy less things, so I visit here less and I rarely post a deal.... If a lot of people do that then the quality of deals inevitably drop as the number of lemmings finding deals reduces.

It's clear to me this has happened on a wide scale just by how similar a lot of deals are now - video games and cheap tech mainly. Combine the rise of social media savvy companies and quite a few deals are manufactured by those companies to get the website masses through shop doors or make impulse purchases.
Edited by: "super_leeds_86" 9th Feb
the site is only as good as the deals we post, and the adverts the mods post obviously but saying that if you don't post a deal in 2+ years you can't complain that much
if the mods/admins/editors would stop stop posting paid ads masquerading as deals/misc posts, people might be able to find the actual proper deals
I'm surprised this post has not been deleted. Usually posts critiquing the honesty of HUKD posts get the North Korea treatment by the mods. Maybe the mods are just to busy at the moment writing up their paid posts!
I highly agree with this. Probably 80% of deals here are not deals at all. It all happened quite recently too (last year or so). There must have been a huge wave of people signing up to HUKD and posting really crap deals and the same lot voting hot on them too. Can't remember the last time I actually purchased something from here unless it's one of those cheap ass deals from Gearbest!
Edited by: "kay_uddin" 9th Feb
I have found quite a few deals lately (that i have bought) , yes their aren't great deals also, but its not difficult to scroll past them or use the various options to focus more on the actual things you are looking for.

The bigger problem is that the hot and cold voting is being misused by site users, voting cold for really dumb reasons or hot on something they have no idea abnout the price of.
Edited by: "catbeans" 9th Feb
FrozenDreams, it's been almost three years since you last posted a deal. If you don't like the deals here, maybe you should try and contribute some deals yourself?
When you say "Used to be" ... .. .. ..

How long are you going back?

Times and shopping habits change as do the contributors to the deals and so on.

Yes there ARE a LOT of almost duplicitous deals - gearbest and so on.... But - if the "deal" is getting heat - then the "audience" that has voted for the deal to be regarded as "hot" must be there in the first place.

If a deal that was a "typical" deal of 10 years ago or more or less - say 5 years ago is posted - it may well not get that hot as habits and the audience here has changed. There are many, many, many members that no longer use this site for whatever reason, and then the new members may post "deals" that are not the same as what you "used" to see.

??

Not that I am disagreeing - just a bit of perspective.

Before the site was revamped, a lot of the deals didnt actually get as HOT as some of them these days - yet were well regarded and so on....

Anyway......

Post a deal for us all to vote... And make sure its not from GearBest or similar or dodgy phones etc etc.
Ye agreed

Long gone the days of great deals And glitches on here , problem is now it’s quantity over quality .

And there’s way to many members to grab a decent deal ,the sites success has become its own down fall .

My two cents
Edited by: "ashmac" 9th Feb
Oh and plus the site is basically money focused now and controlled by big company’s that have there site and Deals highlighted

🙄

Sold it’s Paul
catbeans8 h, 48 m ago

I have found quite a few deals lately (that i have bought) , yes their …I have found quite a few deals lately (that i have bought) , yes their aren't great deals also, but its not difficult to scroll past them or use the various options to focus more on the actual things you are looking for.The bigger problem is that the hot and cold voting is being misused by site users, voting cold for really dumb reasons or hot on something they have no idea abnout the price of.

Price is not supposed to be the only factor that influences somebody's vote.

Somebody's "really dumb reason" (to you) may be completely reasonable to somebody else.
My debit card expired recently (visa electron) the replacement card is a bonafide debit card.

tldr: I can now buy stuff online from Tesco...

*waits for the next early hour ps4 price glitch deal*

fanpages2 h, 16 m ago

Price is not supposed to be the only factor that influences somebody's …Price is not supposed to be the only factor that influences somebody's vote.Somebody's "really dumb reason" (to you) may be completely reasonable to somebody else.

I didn't say price was the only factor and sometimes reasoning is so dumb or not even stated that it is not reasonable.

I have seen deals with only positive comments but they have gone cold, so no one knows why. I have seen comments such as "voted cold video games are for kids" or "how much for this? What a waste of money", when said item is £100+ cheaper than the next cheapest, there is no logic in voting something cold just because you don't want that specific item.
catbeans46 m ago

I didn't say price was the only factor and sometimes reasoning is so dumb …I didn't say price was the only factor and sometimes reasoning is so dumb or not even stated that it is not reasonable. I have seen deals with only positive comments but they have gone cold, so no one knows why. I have seen comments such as "voted cold video games are for kids" or "how much for this? What a waste of money", when said item is £100+ cheaper than the next cheapest, there is no logic in voting something cold just because you don't want that specific item.

That is how voting is supposed to work; purely subjective factors, that may have little relevance to the subject of the "Deal", may influence somebody's decision to vote in either direction.

Just because you don't understand the reasoning doesn't make it illogical or 'dumb' though.
fanpages3 h, 2 m ago

That is how voting is supposed to work; purely subjective factors, that …That is how voting is supposed to work; purely subjective factors, that may have little relevance to the subject of the "Deal", may influence somebody's decision to vote in either direction.Just because you don't understand the reasoning doesn't make it illogical or 'dumb' though.

So the reasons I stated are logical to you?
catbeans1 h, 55 m ago

So the reasons I stated are logical to you?

They are reasons to vote cold as discussed many, many times before, & confirmed by juliet_bravo within a previous thread of note; "Can we please have the rules/guidelines on Voting made more clear??" ('lost' in the recent site re-designs)

Specifically, comment #56...

---
juliet_bravo - Aug 23, 2010 14:42

Taken from the original help & advice panel-

If you are cold voting a deal, it is good forum etiquette to post a note in the deal as to why you have done so. There is nothing more confusing to a new member, than to post a deal, only to see it go cold with no explanation. If you found the item cheaper elsewhere, please let us know where and how. If you have no interest or knowledge about the deal at all, please don’t vote cold, just move on.

HUKD has systems in place to detect serial cold voters, and it may lead to a ban from the forums, as it is against the code of conduct.

If members feel an apple product, for example, is comparable with another item and they do not think the apple represents good value, then of course they should state that within the thread. However we cannot be too strict with regards to forcing members to justify their votes. It will be detrimental to how the site works and the organic nature in which "hot" deals are voted as such.
fanpages16 m ago

They are reasons to vote cold as discussed many, many times before, & …They are reasons to vote cold as discussed many, many times before, & confirmed by juliet_bravo within a previous thread of note; "Can we please have the rules/guidelines on Voting made more clear??" ('lost' in the recent site re-designs)Specifically, comment #56...---juliet_bravo - Aug 23, 2010 14:42Taken from the original help & advice panel-If you are cold voting a deal, it is good forum etiquette to post a note in the deal as to why you have done so. There is nothing more confusing to a new member, than to post a deal, only to see it go cold with no explanation. If you found the item cheaper elsewhere, please let us know where and how. If you have no interest or knowledge about the deal at all, please don’t vote cold, just move on.HUKD has systems in place to detect serial cold voters, and it may lead to a ban from the forums, as it is against the code of conduct.If members feel an apple product, for example, is comparable with another item and they do not think the apple represents good value, then of course they should state that within the thread. However we cannot be too strict with regards to forcing members to justify their votes. It will be detrimental to how the site works and the organic nature in which "hot" deals are voted as such.

That just means they are allowed it doesn't make them good reasons. If anything that goes against the kind of attitudes I am talking about;
"If you have no interest or knowledge about the deal at all, please don’t vote cold, just move on."
catbeans6 m ago

That just means they are allowed it doesn't make them good reasons. If …That just means they are allowed it doesn't make them good reasons. If anything that goes against the kind of attitudes I am talking about;"If you have no interest or knowledge about the deal at all, please don’t vote cold, just move on."

The use of "Please" indicates a request, not a mandatory action, though.

Arguably, if somebody has an opinion on why they prefer one product to another (regardless of a discount in price, or any other element of the "Deal"), then they have an interest or knowledge.

That said, my voting rights were removed when I voted negatively too many times* without leaving a reason.

* Primarily on "Deals" submitted by members of the Moderation/Admin teams.
fanpages6 h, 3 m ago

An example of a valid reason to vote negatively:[ …An example of a valid reason to vote negatively:[ https://www.hotukdeals.com/comments/permalink/33235001 ]

Are you talking about the guy who voted cold because the title included the word gaming?

fanpages5 h, 57 m ago

The use of "Please" indicates a request, not a mandatory action, though.

catbeans6 h, 3 m ago

That just means they are allowed it doesn't make them good reasons.

catbeans16 m ago

Are you talking about the guy who voted cold because the title included …Are you talking about the guy who voted cold because the title included the word gaming?

Yes, that is where the link pointed.
I do find the inconsistency (of "voting hot/cold) at times a tad confusing. Perhaps because I am a relatively new member?
I've not posted a large number of deals - I genuinely am trying to go by "quality" rather than quantity. I posted 3 deals whereby the first 2 were "reasonable savings" deals and were ultimately voted hot. Then the third was arguably the best deal - 8 times the amount of product at same price of regular single quantity. The third kept getting voted cold without explanation. ok, it was not the most interesting of products, but I thought the idea of a deal was not relevant to simply disliking the product for what it was!

On the plus personal side, I have bought some things as a result of seeing a good deal posted on this site (almost always groceries, being a bit of a foodie haha).
Edited by: "StephenAbut" 10th Feb
StephenAbut33 m ago

I do find the inconsistency (of "voting hot/cold) at times a tad …I do find the inconsistency (of "voting hot/cold) at times a tad confusing. Perhaps because I am a relatively new member?I've not posted a large number of deals - I genuinely am trying to go by "quality" rather than quantity. I posted 3 deals whereby the first 2 were "reasonable savings" deals and were ultimately voted hot. Then the third was arguably the best deal - 8 times the amount of product at same price of regular single quantity. The third kept getting voted cold without explanation. ok, it was not the most interesting of products, but I thought the idea of a deal was not relevant to simply disliking the product for what it was!On the plus personal side, I have bought some things as a result of seeing a good deal posted on this site (almost always groceries, being a bit of a foodie haha).

For those not voting solely on price, eight times the usual quantity of a poor product (in their opinion), is eight times as bad as having one of them.

Hence, a negative vote.
Well that's a fair point. I'm not sure that carrot seeds from a reputable and established company would count as poor quality. Haha hardly the most exciting thing in the world, but for us keen gardeners a number of my friends ordered them, as did I.

(I promise not to put the end result of grown carrots on the "freebies" threads haha). Oh - I did also put it under the correct "gardening" thread
Edited by: "StephenAbut" 10th Feb
Yeah there are rarely any legitimate great deals these days. Right now the deals thread is spammed by users posting Xbox “deals” from retailers who are clearly trying to sell for cheaper and cheaper in the vain hope of selling that dead console to gullible fools, and to create valuable room for legitimate gaming console with actual legitimate true gaming experiences that sell (*cough* PS4 and Switch *cough*).
From 99 per of the deals being crap here - To a "Rules regarding voting hot or cold" conversation.....?!!?
I really would like some sort of on page notification, if a deal is from outside the UK. Even better would be a UK only deals button like e-bay, but one that’s works unlike e-bays.
Geemac9 m ago

I really would like some sort of on page notification, if a deal is from …I really would like some sort of on page notification, if a deal is from outside the UK. Even better would be a UK only deals button like e-bay, but one that’s works unlike e-bays.

Clear requirements there
thegroutch9th Feb

if the mods/admins/editors would stop stop posting paid ads masquerading …if the mods/admins/editors would stop stop posting paid ads masquerading as deals/misc posts, people might be able to find the actual proper deals

They don't do that (now)...

"The role of moderators in posting deals and voting"

(or do they?)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions