The DIY/Budget Vehicle Tracker

Found 11th Jan 2013
I heard tonight that a work colleague had had his motorcycle stolen for the second time....that's pretty bad luck but he has to rely on parking his bike in the street....

I suggested getting a Tracker but that is a very expensive solution (but perhaps money well spent...) which then got me thinking - how about a DIY version.... buy the cheapest android smartphone possible with GPS... the cheapest Sim Only Deal (with a small data allowance) and an anti-theft application such as the excellent Cerberus....

Here's how my DIY suggestion could work....

Buy the (Sim Free/Unlocked) Motorola Defy for £59.00 from Tesco (if you don't already have a spare phone) - hotukdeals.com/dea…137
(this phone is also apparently splashproof).

For mobile data I thought this Sim Only deal might work well... The Simple 5 tariff from Talk Mobile....... it's only £5 per month.

Buy and install Cerberus on the phone - it's only a couple of pounds for up to 5 devices and is well worth it... play.google.com/sto…rus

Ideally, wire the phone up so it maintains a charge or is constantly charged.

Place the phone in a freezer bag.... (if going in a motorbike).... seal it as best you can to protect from water.

Hide the phone in the car (behind dash) or bike (under seat/bodywork) and away you go. Or leave it somewhere it will be found because Cerberus can take remote photographs, video and audio (The Samsung Defy also has a front facing camera that could capture thief in the act).

If your vehicle goes missing, simply log into the Cerberus website and track your phone... Obviously it's not 100% guaranteed to work but it's a much cheaper option than using a proper Tracker system.
Community Updates
MiscCarMotorcycle
10 Comments
Or just buy a GSM GPS tracker and put a PAYG sim in. You text it and it text you back its longitude and latitude which you put in google maps to find it.
Ounce or two of c4 wired to a pager under the fuel tank, bike gets nicked just page it and follow the sirens to find the bike parts.
This looks ideal! I guess u could use one of the orange micro sim deals at 99p inside it
Be warned that ebay item does not contain a gps module. It uses GSM triangulation (not accurate).

moc.atceleslaeD
mrcareful

This looks ideal! I guess u could use one of the orange micro sim deals … This looks ideal! I guess u could use one of the orange micro sim deals at 99p inside it

Yes as long as it has some form of data allowance to report back the location then the cheaper the better....as I say it's not ideal, there are shortcomings but it would work.
Yes a GSM GPS tracker would work too... but if it isn't true GPS (just using GSM triangulation) that that is not going to be very accurate....

Here is a review of Cerberus from a few months ago.... really worth the couple quid for all these features.... (I'm not linked to them by the way!!!)

youtube.com/wat…K-s

mick39b

cheapo version … cheapo version http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-GSM-GPRS-GPS-Network-Auto-Vehicle-Motorcycle-Bike-Monitor-Tracker-/370729755980?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item565137254c

have you read the description?

4.1 Motorcycle connection mode: open the battery box and connect 12V … 4.1 Motorcycle connection mode: open the battery box and connect 12V voltage. The red line is positive (DC +), joint battery anode, black line for negative level (GND), joint battery cathode.4.2 Battery car connection mode: battery car is generally 48-60V voltage, there are 4 groups of batteries, each group is 12V. Open the battery box and put 12V battery into it. Battery anode (DC +) joints red, negative (GND) joints black. Attention: 1. Usually battery car is 48V, and it can reach to 80V in high speed running process. In this way, the device is easy to be burn off. So it should connect one to two batteries for safe use. Because each battery is 12V, two batteries series will be 24V(equipment normal working voltage is 9-48V). 2. It would be at your own risk if the equipment is burned by not proper installation

At least the product has to be better than that chewed up description
mick39b

cheapo version … cheapo version http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-GSM-GPRS-GPS-Network-Auto-Vehicle-Motorcycle-Bike-Monitor-Tracker-/370729755980?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item565137254c

4.1 Motorcycle connection mode: open the battery box and connect 12V … 4.1 Motorcycle connection mode: open the battery box and connect 12V voltage. The red line is positive (DC +), joint battery anode, black line for negative level (GND), joint battery cathode.4.2 Battery car connection mode: battery car is generally 48-60V voltage, there are 4 groups of batteries, each group is 12V. Open the battery box and put 12V battery into it. Battery anode (DC +) joints red, negative (GND) joints black. Attention: 1. Usually battery car is 48V, and it can reach to 80V in high speed running process. In this way, the device is easy to be burn off. So it should connect one to two batteries for safe use. Because each battery is 12V, two batteries series will be 24V(equipment normal working voltage is 9-48V). 2. It would be at your own risk if the equipment is burned by not proper installation

So your bike could self combust!
I can see the logic and ingenuity through budgetting in this device, it seems like you could save lots of money by following these DIY blueprints. However, I know that I would be anxious in trusting a £5 pound a month phone contract with the value of my car or vehicle! I would much prefer to protect my vehicle with a tracker that is tested, assure and fitted by a trusted engineer.

I have an association with Sussex Installations who fit the Smartrack Protector Pro - Sussex stolen vehicle tracking device with much better results!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions