The end of Windows 7 is nigh

Posted 2nd Jan
Having studiously avoided the fact that Win7 support ends on the 14th. January, so no more security updates, I thought I might share this link for those who may wish to upgrade to Windows 10 for free. The link has been posted before, so credit to those ahead of the game, but it still works. The main criteria for a succesful migration appears to be that your PC/Laptop has the minimum technical spec, covered in the linked article, and that you already have a bona fide registered copy of Win7 already in use on the machine. I have used it sucessfully on my 8 year old laptop. It takes some time, but is simple to do.
The only additional tip might effect those who have swapped out their old hard drive for a newer SSD. For some reason my System Reserve Partition was nearly full and this prevented the upgrade from proceding. It was a bit of cow to fix, so you might want pro help if this is the case for you.
techspot.com/dow…tml

There is some background info below which explains why this free upgrade is still possible

zdnet.com/art…de/
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

25 Comments
Or download windows 10 from Microsoft and buy licence key off Amazon or eBay for £5-10
I'm stuck on Windows 7 on my laptop (Toshiba Satellite c650). I tried to install Windows 10 when it first was offered by Microsoft, then again a year or so later. On both occasions it automatically reversed to Windows 7 and stated something about Windows 10 not being able to run on the laptop. Both times it took hours to install. I will stick with Win7 as I only use the laptop now for about 20 minutes a week, and it's probably way to old.
wayners02/01/2020 18:47

Or download windows 10 from Microsoft and buy licence key off Amazon or …Or download windows 10 from Microsoft and buy licence key off Amazon or eBay for £5-10

No need to buy a key as the upgrade to windows 10 from 7 is still free if you use the windows media creation tool.
Consider Linux distributions as an alternative if specs are an issue.
Predikuesi02/01/2020 19:20

I'm stuck on Windows 7 on my laptop (Toshiba Satellite c650). I tried to …I'm stuck on Windows 7 on my laptop (Toshiba Satellite c650). I tried to install Windows 10 when it first was offered by Microsoft, then again a year or so later. On both occasions it automatically reversed to Windows 7 and stated something about Windows 10 not being able to run on the laptop. Both times it took hours to install. I will stick with Win7 as I only use the laptop now for about 20 minutes a week, and it's probably way to old.

Cool story bro, no seriously
Nope, not intending to ever upgrade to Windows 10 or the next until Microsoft fix their UI
markvirgo02/01/2020 19:31

No need to buy a key as the upgrade to windows 10 from 7 is still free if …No need to buy a key as the upgrade to windows 10 from 7 is still free if you use the windows media creation tool.

No need to buy / install / wave a W10 key at the machine period, unless the user wishes to set the desktop image to that of their fave cute cat pic.
wayners02/01/2020 18:47

Or download windows 10 from Microsoft and buy licence key off Amazon or …Or download windows 10 from Microsoft and buy licence key off Amazon or eBay for £5-10

Sure, thats the option if you don't have a licenced copy of Win7. If you do, the link does the job for free.
zworld02/01/2020 20:21

Nope, not intending to ever upgrade to Windows 10 or the next until …Nope, not intending to ever upgrade to Windows 10 or the next until Microsoft fix their UI

I agree, would rather stay with 7, but with no security patches going forward, how can you fulfil your banks requirement to take adequate precautions against fraud?
Does that mean that my Windows 3 doesn’t get anymore updates either?
jimmy_the_fridge02/01/2020 23:47

Comment deleted

My dos system is better and its fast when used with 4kb memory and 2mb hdd drive. weighs a ton though and the green sceen isnt great for the eyes.
airbus33002/01/2020 23:43

Sure, thats the option if you don't have a licenced copy of Win7. If you …Sure, thats the option if you don't have a licenced copy of Win7. If you do, the link does the job for free.

All due respect, that's like saying 'here's a bag of diarrhoea for free'.
Edited by: "tryn2help" 3rd Jan
tryn2help03/01/2020 23:00

All due respect, that's like saying 'here's a bag of diarrhoea for free'.

With all due respect, why do you think that a free version of W10 is a bag of diarrhoea?
airbus33004/01/2020 09:58

With all due respect, why do you think that a free version of W10 is a bag …With all due respect, why do you think that a free version of W10 is a bag of diarrhoea?

When I wrote 'all due respect' I actually meant it - wasn't being blase or whatever.

Peeps like yourself try to help here and there - and that's a good thing, but Microsoft is just running roughshod over users' human rights with the whole W10 project.

I have no desire to get into any form of debate - there's more than enough info all over the net on the above matter - peeps will make their own minds up, me myself I just think MS offering W10 for free is like offering us a 'free' bag of diarrhoea.
tryn2help04/01/2020 12:24

When I wrote 'all due respect' I actually meant it - wasn't being blase or …When I wrote 'all due respect' I actually meant it - wasn't being blase or whatever. Peeps like yourself try to help here and there - and that's a good thing, but Microsoft is just running roughshod over users' human rights with the whole W10 project.I have no desire to get into any form of debate - there's more than enough info all over the net on the above matter - peeps will make their own minds up, me myself I just think MS offering W10 for free is like offering us a 'free' bag of diarrhoea.

Fair enough, no offence was taken or intended. I was curious as to why you used that metaphor. Frankly, I agree, W10 is not great and we are preety much held to ransome by MS to use it. But the alternative is to be held to ransome by Apple or go off down the Linux road, which isn't everyones cuppa either. Thanks for expanding on your post and Happy New Year.
airbus33004/01/2020 12:59

Fair enough, no offence was taken or intended. I was curious as to why you …Fair enough, no offence was taken or intended. I was curious as to why you used that metaphor. Frankly, I agree, W10 is not great and we are preety much held to ransome by MS to use it. But the alternative is to be held to ransome by Apple or go off down the Linux road, which isn't everyones cuppa either. Thanks for expanding on your post and Happy New Year.

Hope you also have a happy New Year, but yes, you're more or less spot on in your view.
I'm not any techie-type - I rely on others - but some of the stuff I've heard and read is just such bad news.

I'd jump from MS in a second if I thought there were good alternatives, but there aren't.

We started off typing white letters onto a black screen - I preferred my typewriter but colleagues persisted with their 'telly-typing'.

Company eventually took away our typewriters and gave us IBM's or something like that (can't remember) then we made big jump to far superier 'Apple MacIntosh's' (have to admit I liked them - would take just one command for an action that would need two or three on PC).
Since then it's all been Windows ( for me ).

Linux is difficult unless you're a techie-type ( they love it), and Apple is just over the top expensive (but it's something I'm going to have to look at).

Btw, any idea if W8.1 is still being supported? Not as good as W7 I know, but think lots of the tricks/blocks etc on W7 can be applied to 8.1.
Edited by: "tryn2help" 4th Jan
tryn2help04/01/2020 13:14

Hope you also have a happy New Year, but yes, you're more or less spot on …Hope you also have a happy New Year, but yes, you're more or less spot on in your view. I'm not any techie-type - I rely on others - but some of the stuff I've heard and read is just such bad news.I'd jump from MS in a second if I thought there were good alternatives, but there aren't. We started off typing white letters onto a black screen - I preferred my typewriter but colleagues persisted with their 'telly-typing'. Company eventually took away our typewriters and gave us IBM's or something like that (can't remember) then we made big jump to far superier 'Apple MacIntosh's' (have to admit I liked them - would take just one command for an action that would need two or three on PC). Since then it's all been Windows ( for me ). Linux is difficult unless you're a techie-type ( they love it), and Apple is just over the top expensive (but it's something I'm going to have to look at).Btw, any idea if W8.1 is still being supported? Not as good as W7 I know, but think lots of the tricks/blocks etc on W7 can be applied to 8.1.

W8.1 ends in 2023 I beieve. IMHO it is a poor choice, I had it when it first came out and reverted to W7, hence the reluctance to go to w10. But i have used w10 ebough to know it is reasonably sorted now. Have had it up and running on my 8 yr old laptop with no issues apart from the usual updates, but you can limit those now.
airbus33004/01/2020 14:05

W8.1 ends in 2023 I beieve. IMHO it is a poor choice, I had it when it …W8.1 ends in 2023 I beieve. IMHO it is a poor choice, I had it when it first came out and reverted to W7, hence the reluctance to go to w10. But i have used w10 ebough to know it is reasonably sorted now. Have had it up and running on my 8 yr old laptop with no issues apart from the usual updates, but you can limit those now.

Thanks Airbus, appreciate your views. God bless.
I use Roboform and dont like the idea of having to reinstall and redo all my settings so does anyone know if installing W10 will mean I have to do this, I also use MS Outlook and dont want the hassle of having to redo all my emails on that so will they also be erased?

Thanks
1spoon105/01/2020 00:30

I use Roboform and dont like the idea of having to reinstall and redo all …I use Roboform and dont like the idea of having to reinstall and redo all my settings so does anyone know if installing W10 will mean I have to do this, I also use MS Outlook and dont want the hassle of having to redo all my emails on that so will they also be erased?Thanks

My upgrade resulted in all 3rd. party programs working correctly, even the old ones. A few applications within Windows are no longer present in w10, but they were obscure bits and pieces. Outlook required a account names and passwords to be re-inserted, but in my case the the passwords were expired before the upgrade as I no longer use Outlook. This is no guarentee that you will not have any problems and a bit of time searching the net with regards to the upgade and the programs you use might be worthwhile.
Software developers will eventually stop supporting it too. Not sure how long before that happens but it's inevitable. I've been on Windows 10 since it was released so I don't have to go through all this heartache
tryn2help04/01/2020 13:14

Linux is difficult unless you're a techie-type ( they love it), and Apple …Linux is difficult unless you're a techie-type ( they love it), and Apple is just over the top expensive (but it's something I'm going to have to look at).

While that was certainly true 10 or more years ago, many of the modern Linuxes are designed to be relatively easy to use - in terms of settings and software installation particularly. If you go down the path of something like Ubuntu or Linux Mint, there is a knowledgeable and helpful community who will normally be available in case of any problems.
alg15/01/2020 21:32

While that was certainly true 10 or more years ago, many of the modern …While that was certainly true 10 or more years ago, many of the modern Linuxes are designed to be relatively easy to use - in terms of settings and software installation particularly. If you go down the path of something like Ubuntu or Linux Mint, there is a knowledgeable and helpful community who will normally be available in case of any problems.

This is my fave just now,
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants