The England Flag

Found 10th Oct 2013
It is quite sad that when I see the England flag hang up inside a property's window, I don't associate it with patriotism and being proud of being British but rather unease comes to mind and I am thinking this is a rough place.

I start to look around for fear of being mugged or robbed. If I see several flags around the neighbourhood it gets worse.
Community Updates
MiscEngland
65 Comments
http://static2.fjcdn.com/comments/Every+time+I+see+these+gifs+with+Alpha+as++_c549a2ecdfa543e0c19e8873164db9c2.jpg
I'm not sure everyone associates the 'England flag' with being British.

It's a shame that you're so scared of a national symbol, something that should be associated with pride and greatness.
Look at muttles trying to be controversial X)
Stick to the DIY threads mutley X)
the union flag is the British flag not the st George's cross (that's the proper name for the English flag by the way)
Are you sure you're not confusing the England flag with Special Brew and discarded sofas?
Just waiting for Adnan Januzaj to get a 3lion's tattoo on his calf!
mceverready

I'm not sure everyone associates the 'England flag' with being British. … I'm not sure everyone associates the 'England flag' with being British. It's a shame that you're so scared of a national symbol, something that should be associated with pride and greatness.

this is why it is sad as it should be a great joy to see it but it is normally put in windows of properties where the residents are BNP type that hate everyone who is not English. they tend to be skin heads that cause trouble.

whenever i look at properties for sale in the rougher areas of london, i see photos with these flags in the windows or spray painted on the garage door or house wall. the england flag is only ever celebrated merrily when there is an england football match on, but if you see it constantly on display then there is normally an indication of deep rooted racism and protectionism.
deeky

Look at muttles trying to be controversial X)

not at all.
i am just stating a sad matter of fact that some hard nuts have ruined the image of the george cross.
http://img.thesun.co.uk/aidemitlum/archive/00364/F_200709_September1_364417a.jpg
This is the only thing that Americans do better than us, they take pride in displaying their flags, with proper flag poles.

Ours are chucked out through filthy windows and 99p car accessories on old bangers.
mutley1

this is why it is sad as it should be a great joy to see it but it is … this is why it is sad as it should be a great joy to see it but it is normally put in windows of properties where the residents are BNP type that hate everyone who is not English. they tend to be skin heads that cause trouble.whenever i look at properties for sale in the rougher areas of london, i see photos with these flags in the windows or spray painted on the garage door or house wall. the england flag is only ever celebrated merrily when there is an england football match on, but if you see it constantly on display then there is normally an indication of deep rooted racism and protectionism.

It's sad that a lot of these right wing groups have adopted it as their own.

Kind of ruins it for the people who are genuinely proud to be English.
Serious question though. On application forms do you say you are British or English?

I put English personally.
splatsplatsplat

This is the only thing that Americans do better than us, they take pride … This is the only thing that Americans do better than us, they take pride in displaying their flags, with proper flag poles.Ours are chucked out through filthy windows and 99p car accessories on old bangers.

I'm pretty sure they do obesity and arrogance a lot better as well!
like this

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/12/13/article-1338080-0C75B4CD000005DC-505_634x420.jpg
http://downloadmoviesfreee.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/this_is_england_original3.jpg
mutley1

like this

http://bocktherobber.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/edl002.jpg
british flag??

british flag makes me feel safe
england flag, dunno why, but automatically associate it with pictures above!!

it's not right i think like that but hey
theworkingdead

Great film.

Told the story of true skin heads.
mceverready

Great film. Told the story of true skin heads.

Never seen it, the whole premise kinda puts me off lol.
I think a lot of people are frustrated at the thought that England is loosing its way of life/identity.
To some the answer is to protest , and this is their way of protesting. There is really very few other ways that i can think of.
IMO the majority of people actually dare not protest in any way, as they fear of reprisal or being shunned or criticised by their peers/colleagues etc, wheres some dont actually care if thats how they are viewed (usually by those who have little to lose) , so just go ahead and show their feelings, and fly the flag.
Its sad some feel they cannot show pride in their country and flag. As many say this flag has been been perceived as hijacked, and you feel if you display it then people view you as supporting racism. I would love a flagpole and flag.

Edited by: "skellysgirl" 10th Oct 2013
this is england was a really great film and shows how kids get pulled into parties like the BNP.

i think this country allows people to do what they like to the national flag so the flag does not have the respect it deserves. i think the USA is probably a bit ott with everyone hand on heart swearing allegance every day but we go the opposite way where the flag gets no respect at all except at the olympics.
Are we no longer allowed to fly our flags and be proud of our nation? our team? Theirs a difference between being patriotic and racist.

http://www.picturesofengland.com/images/england_flags/st-george-cross.jpg
theworkingdead

Never seen it, the whole premise kinda puts me off lol.

Don't let it.

It's a really excellent film.

You will learn a lot from it.
Take the swastika as an example.
What is the first thing that comes to mind?

It was always considered a symbol of good luck before that.

Racism, or more precisely, hate, is a powerful force unfortunately, it can taint anything.
Edited by: "theworkingdead" 10th Oct 2013
i was looking for a property to buy recently in west ham and i saw one for sale where there was the george cross flag in the window but also sprayed outside over the garage door and wheelie bin. this really puts me off the area and it is a sure way to ruin property price.

i went into google map to walk around the square and was shocked to find 2 other properties in the same square displaying the george cross in their windows. my impression of the square is definately do not buy there as it looks as rough as hell.

i feel sorry for the residents who have nice looking properties in the same square as this must devalue their property price for sure.
Theres a house i pass every now and then thtats plastered with clocks, not just one or two but at least forty......scares me to near death.
transit

Theres a house i pass every now and then thtats plastered with clocks, … Theres a house i pass every now and then thtats plastered with clocks, not just one or two but at least forty......scares me to near death.

the owner must be obsessed with time. he must spend days changing the time every british summer time arrives. X)
shauneco

Are we no longer allowed to fly our flags and be proud of our nation? our … Are we no longer allowed to fly our flags and be proud of our nation? our team? Theirs a difference between being patriotic and racist.

but the george cross image has been hijacked for something more sinister, which is the problem.
Is there any way that it is acceptable to fly the english flag? maybe more of us should do it to give it the reprieve and respect it deserves. The only way to make it look less racist is to make it a sign of pride, that cannot be done until more of us display that pride
Edited by: "skellysgirl" 10th Oct 2013
mutley1

the owner must be obsessed with time. he must spend days changing the … the owner must be obsessed with time. he must spend days changing the time every british summer time arrives. X)

I think he hit L by accident, that would scare anyone.
There's a house I go past everyday and they have their front door design as the England flag and the flag in the window upstairs, they are racist and were even more racist in the 80's. Thinking about it, every time I have seen the England flag displayed in a windows it's always been in a racist chav area.
CouldntThinkOfAUsername

There's a house I go past everyday and they have their front door design … There's a house I go past everyday and they have their front door design as the England flag and the flag in the window upstairs, they are racist and were even more racist in the 80's. Thinking about it, every time I have seen the England flag displayed in a windows it's always been in a racist chav area.

Tbf the england flags always make an appearance when england play in the world cup or euros, even hanging from car windows etc.... theres always the lazy sods who never take them back down....similar to the nobs who leave their xmas decorations up until july.
mutley1

but the george cross image has been hijacked for something more sinister, … but the george cross image has been hijacked for something more sinister, which is the problem.

It's such a shame that it's been tainted, When England play and I hear them sing "God save the queen" I feel the pride. For that moment as a nation we are all in it together and we back our team/nation no matter what, Win/Lose/Draw it doesn't matter, The media then twist everything and we end up with drunken louts that spoil it for others.

I don't feel it's appropriate to fly the British flag when it's England playing, I don't support Scotland/Wales etc...

May be we should have a more multicultural flag to represent this fine Country.

shauneco

It's such a shame that it's been tainted, When England play and I hear … It's such a shame that it's been tainted, When England play and I hear them sing "God save the queen" I feel the pride. For that moment as a nation we are all in it together and we back our team/nation no matter what, Win/Lose/Draw it doesn't matter, The media then twist everything and we end up with drunken louts that spoil it for others.I don't feel it's appropriate to fly the British flag when it's England playing, I don't support Scotland/Wales etc...May be we should have a more multicultural flag to represent this fine Country.

How about this, we all have the same coloured bones

[img]encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4FbjHVLSQ0A9WYoz4Bh2sqoarnhYOiXyElFpG7kfWGRdxS2sQ[/img]
D_G

Serious question though. On application forms do you say you are British … Serious question though. On application forms do you say you are British or English?I put English personally.

Born in England but love Scotland so I put down British and feel proud of that.
CouldntThinkOfAUsername

There's a house I go past everyday and they have their front door design … There's a house I go past everyday and they have their front door design as the England flag and the flag in the window upstairs, they are racist and were even more racist in the 80's. Thinking about it, every time I have seen the England flag displayed in a windows it's always been in a racist chav area.

this is what i find. the only time that the england flag is flown in a happy way is when england plays in the world cup. the houses that have the flag permanently hung in the window are always really scary to walk past and tend to be in areas which are on the rough side.
mutley1

this is england was a really great film and shows how kids get pulled … this is england was a really great film and shows how kids get pulled into parties like the BNP.i think this country allows people to do what they like to the national flag so the flag does not have the respect it deserves. i think the USA is probably a bit ott with everyone hand on heart swearing allegance every day but we go the opposite way where the flag gets no respect at all except at the olympics.

Whilst they probably run the risk of becoming a social pariah, legally-speaking Americans can do whatever they like with their flag, it's been ruled as protected under the 1st amendment.
We have England flags up during football events / jubilee etc.

If I forget to take them down, shows a sloppy attitude , just like neglecting the garden

If I leave them up all the time, I am making a point, marking my territory. Showing outsiders are not welcome.

I know which country I live in, I don't need a permanent display to remind me. True, everyone has the right to display what they want........but I would not want to live near them, thanks oO
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants