Groups

The foodbank thread

I'm bored so i thought id do a heads up for those who want to donate or are just skint so here it is, a list of the cheapest places to get the basics here goes.

Asda smartprice toilet roll pack of six for £1
    Asda smart price toothbrushes pack of two 25p
    Morrisons toothpaste 25p
    3 bars of soap in morrisons i think is the cheapest but i cant remember what it is off the top of my head i think it might be 37p
    Asda maxi towels 10 pack 25p

A lot of the tinned stuff is pretty much the same but tinned potatoes are only 15p in morrisons and they are also the cheapest for mashed potato 27p

For noodles the best place is poundland for a big multipack of magi ones for £1.

Things like sardines are again pretty much the same wherever as are things like spaghetti hoops.

Anyone else want to add?

67 Comments

Mouthwash - £0.47 at lidl for Dentalux, comes in freshmint and coolmint
    Also morrisons own is £0.50 a bottle

I would say get home bargain koka noodles, they are 25p each and will taste so much better

Original Poster

slevinkelevra

I would say get home bargain koka noodles, they are 25p each and will … I would say get home bargain koka noodles, they are 25p each and will taste so much better

I love those sadly i don't live anywhere near one of those stores, mushroom flavour is the bees knees they are my fave instant ramen i lived off them as a teen buying bulk boxes at the Chinese shop

Makes me mad to think people are having to resort to the cheapest food possible while Toffs are banqueting on Lamb steak, champagne and the like. The true benefits Britain is not a life of luxury as the media portray. The ones who benefit the most are those awash with cash at the expense of the poor.

Anyway sorry to derail the thread. Just stirred some strong feelings inside.

just get anything own brand....

Nice thread, Error. Veuve Clicquot NV is currently on a special offer at Sainsbury's for £32.00.

Original Poster

118luke

Makes me mad to think people are having to resort to the cheapest food … Makes me mad to think people are having to resort to the cheapest food possible while Toffs are banqueting on Lamb steak, champagne and the like. The true benefits Britain is not a life of luxury as the media portray. The ones who benefit the most are those awash with cash at the expense of the poor.Anyway sorry to derail the thread. Just stirred some strong feelings inside.

In these tough times we need to unite, I'm on full benefits but often think but for the grace of god go I, i decided to buy a product a day to give for lent hence this thread, my kids school has foodbank collection point I've been scouring shops lately for those cheap heinz baby food tins as that's something on this months list but not been able to find them, I'm reluctant to buy jars as i fear they will get smashed, the foodbank thing at school is literally a wheely bin.

I don't think helping each other is letting the Tories off the hook i think they'd happily watch people die, i don't think any pro Tory austerity voters give to food banks if they do they need to take a long look at themselves i am aware of the connections of the tussletrust i dont give to them anyway but if food banks vanished overnight i don't think the tories would change policy, they'd just demonise the dead and desperate even more so.

118luke

Makes me mad to think people are having to resort to the cheapest food … Makes me mad to think people are having to resort to the cheapest food possible while Toffs are banqueting on Lamb steak, champagne and the like. The true benefits Britain is not a life of luxury as the media portray. The ones who benefit the most are those awash with cash at the expense of the poor.Anyway sorry to derail the thread. Just stirred some strong feelings inside.

The really sick part is they claim billions in benefits themselves

Error440

In these tough times we need to unite, I'm on full benefits but often … In these tough times we need to unite, I'm on full benefits but often think but for the grace of god go I, i decided to buy a product a day to give for lent hence this thread, my kids school has foodbank collection point I've been scouring shops lately for those cheap heinz baby food tins as that's something on this months list but not been able to find them, I'm reluctant to buy jars as i fear they will get smashed, the foodbank thing at school is literally a wheely bin.I don't think helping each other is letting the Tories off the hook i think they'd happily watch people die, i don't think any pro Tory austerity voters give to food banks if they do they need to take a long look at themselves i am aware of the connections of the tussletrust i dont give to them anyway but if food banks vanished overnight i don't think the tories would change policy, they'd just demonise the dead and desperate even more so.

What is the problem with Trussle Trust (sp?)?

Tesco are selling off their value toothbrushes and toothpaste for 16p
    Asda teabags 13p as post here

Original Poster

thewongwing101

The really sick part is they claim billions in benefits themselves

Yeah they are not happy about the new laws banning employment of family, they happily make their wives secretary while paying some illegal immigrant below minimum wage to look after their kids

Original Poster

noelphobic

What is the problem with Trussle Trust (sp?)?

Tory mates

Error440

I love those sadly i don't live anywhere near one of those stores, … I love those sadly i don't live anywhere near one of those stores, mushroom flavour is the bees knees they are my fave instant ramen i lived off them as a teen buying bulk boxes at the Chinese shop

I see you are a seasoned noodle connoisseur totally agree with you, those supernoodles too spongy and seasoning not too good.
    I managed to get the koka noodles from a big sainsburys and liked them so was chuffed to find them in hb. The sainsburys own weren't too bad for the economy.
    Demae ramen.

Error440

Yeah they are not happy about the new laws banning employment of family, … Yeah they are not happy about the new laws banning employment of family, they happily make their wives secretary while paying some illegal immigrant below minimum wage to look after their kids

Not what I was on about but yeah

also they seem to have massively cheated at the last election

Error440

Tory mates

I don't know all of the politics - and your two words don't help - but I used to volunteer at a Trussel Trust food bank and I know we helped a lot of people. I'm definitely not a Tory mate!

thewongwing101

Tesco are selling off their value toothbrushes and toothpaste for 16pAsda … Tesco are selling off their value toothbrushes and toothpaste for 16pAsda teabags 13p as post here

They had roll on deodorant reduced to 16p too in my local.

Error440

In these tough times we need to unite, I'm on full benefits but often … In these tough times we need to unite, I'm on full benefits but often think but for the grace of god go I, i decided to buy a product a day to give for lent hence this thread, my kids school has foodbank collection point I've been scouring shops lately for those cheap heinz baby food tins as that's something on this months list but not been able to find them, I'm reluctant to buy jars as i fear they will get smashed, the foodbank thing at school is literally a wheely bin.I don't think helping each other is letting the Tories off the hook i think they'd happily watch people die, i don't think any pro Tory austerity voters give to food banks if they do they need to take a long look at themselves i am aware of the connections of the tussletrust i dont give to them anyway but if food banks vanished overnight i don't think the tories would change policy, they'd just demonise the dead and desperate even more so.

If you are relying on benefits and can manage to look after your family and still manage to give a little to charity then surely the people that are using foodbanks must be spending their benefits unwisely, are foodbanks just encouraging them to waste their cash?

psychobitchfromhell

Ouch X)

I buy dog treats for the pet food bank. Just saying.

Original Poster

slevinkelevra

I see you are a seasoned noodle connoisseur totally agree with you, … I see you are a seasoned noodle connoisseur totally agree with you, those supernoodles too spongy and seasoning not too good.I managed to get the koka noodles from a big sainsburys and liked them so was chuffed to find them in hb. The sainsburys own weren't too bad for the economy.Demae ramen.

Nissain or something along those lines are also a fine breed along with a good nong shim although​ really just for the hot and spicy, their seafood, beef and chicken pots are very salty

Original Poster

coys67

If you are relying on benefits and can manage to look after your family … If you are relying on benefits and can manage to look after your family and still manage to give a little to charity then surely the people that are using foodbanks must be spending their benefits unwisely, are foodbanks just encouraging them to waste their cash?

They are not getting benefits thats the point, it took me 3 months to get a penny out of housing benefit and 2 months to get anything out of JSA plus theres the issue of sanctions.

Now if you go back about ten years there used to be these emergency payments your could get from SS of £25 a week so you dont starve if your sanctioned, if its taking a while or if they just cocked up, i had to use that many years ago whencthey lost my claim, but that doesn't exist anymore if you are sanctioned or their is a delay or mess up they hand out food bank vouchers if you have no savings thats all they do now

118luke

​You should de rail we all should it comes to this to eat and we get called all the scum of the earth while we choose it

Error440

​God bless you xxxxxxxxxxxx

Error440

They are not getting benefits thats the point, it took me 3 months to get … They are not getting benefits thats the point, it took me 3 months to get a penny out of housing benefit and 2 months to get anything out of JSA plus theres the issue of sanctions.Now if you go back about ten years there used to be these emergency payments your could get from SS of £25 a week so you dont starve if your sanctioned, if its taking a while or if they just cocked up, i had to use that many years ago whencthey lost my claim, but that doesn't exist anymore if you are sanctioned or their is a delay or mess up they hand out food bank vouchers if you have no savings thats all they do now

​ignorance is bliss eh? it's all rich folk on here that's what sickens me !

Error440

Nissain or something along those lines are also a fine breed along with a … Nissain or something along those lines are also a fine breed along with a good nong shim although​ really just for the hot and spicy, their seafood, beef and chicken pots are very salty

I hear the nissin stuff is good, actually as I am writing this I think they make demae ramen, there was a thread on here a few years back I think demae ramen means fried noodle.
    The seasonings make it taste like that.
    Definitely worth going to a Chinese supermarket and testing their different varieties, mie goreng is good but a bit smaller, you have to watch out for the weights with these some are like half the weight of others, I'm sure you know. Actually is it mie goreng means fried noodles?...

Every week when I go shopping I stick a quids worth of stuff in the trolley to give to the food bank. I don't notice it but I realise it could make a difference to someone else. When my husband died a couple of years ago I had to give up work to be the primary carer of my child. Fortunately we were well insured and so money is not a problem but there but for the Grace of God as they say. It could have been very different.

psychobitchfromhell

Thank God. You wouldn't want to smell when you're starving to death would you.

psychobitchfromhell

Every week when I go shopping I stick a quids worth of stuff in the … Every week when I go shopping I stick a quids worth of stuff in the trolley to give to the food bank. I don't notice it but I realise it could make a difference to someone else. When my husband died a couple of years ago I had to give up work to be the primary carer of my child. Fortunately we were well insured and so money is not a problem but there but for the Grace of God as they say. It could have been very different.

Having seen what a friend had to go through to get this and then the contents of the pack I was shocked. So I put in nice things. All they get is value bread, tinned value tomatoes and value tinned meatballs and no actual fresh veg or fruit. It really is only whatever people put in those food bins. She did get some fresh milk as she had an eight year old but it was grim.

pickledtink

Thank God. You wouldn't want to smell when you're starving to death would … Thank God. You wouldn't want to smell when you're starving to death would you.

One has to keep one's standards up !

pickledtink

Having seen what a friend had to go through to get this and then the … Having seen what a friend had to go through to get this and then the contents of the pack I was shocked. So I put in nice things. All they get is value bread, tinned value tomatoes and value tinned meatballs and no actual fresh veg or fruit. It really is only whatever people put in those food bins. She did get some fresh milk as she had an eight year old but it was grim.

I always try to go one step up from the value stuff and I double the budget at Christmas. Not sure about fresh stuff, you can't really donate that.

Worth looking into learning to cook for those who buy 'value' junk. Spuds, pasta, rice and lentils are all cheap and don't require much more than a white sauce and small portion of meat or a stock cube to turn them into a meal for a family which can last a few days.
    Lidl is hard to beat for meat and the mince is cheap but good IMO.
    Amazes me how many cry poverty and use foodbanks but can still prioritise their 20 a day and their 'drink'.
    People have no shame, I blame the liberals.

thewongwing101

Not what I was on about but yeahalso they seem to have massively cheated … Not what I was on about but yeahalso they seem to have massively cheated at the last election

Did you see Cameron's face when Channel 4 journalist tried to ask him a question live on Channel 4 tonight?

splender

Did you see Cameron's face when Channel 4 journalist tried to ask him a … Did you see Cameron's face when Channel 4 journalist tried to ask him a question live on Channel 4 tonight?

Nope.

thewongwing101

Nope.

Channel 4 played a short clip from here about election expenses youtube.com/wat…jvM and then this evening, a life camera team tracked him down to ask him about election expenses and £70,000 fine and all of a sudden Cameron was live on camera in Channel 4 news and he just didn't want it. The looks on his face ....is indescribable. He dodged the question from Channel 4. And as Channel 4 was live then, so had to cut at his refusal.

splender

Channel 4 played a short clip from here about election expenses … Channel 4 played a short clip from here about election expenses https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnmotV9WjvM and then this evening, a life camera team tracked him down to ask him about election expenses and £70,000 fine and all of a sudden Cameron was live on camera in Channel 4 news and he just didn't want it. The looks on his face ....is indescribable. He dodged the question from Channel 4. And as Channel 4 was live then, so had to cut at his refusal.

Here is the run up video & the dodge...
    channel4.com/new…dal
    Finally his response (I assume Ch4 news was off air at this point. :D)
    channel4.com/new…ion

PS. Apologies to OP for derailing the thread.

Best way to donate to food bank is to give money, don't shop and donate food.
    m.youtube.com/wat…j6Q

splender

Best way to donate to food bank is to give money, don't shop and donate … Best way to donate to food bank is to give money, don't shop and donate food.https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbYInILDj6Q

My local one can only accept non perishable goods.

Original Poster

pickledtink

Having seen what a friend had to go through to get this and then the … Having seen what a friend had to go through to get this and then the contents of the pack I was shocked. So I put in nice things. All they get is value bread, tinned value tomatoes and value tinned meatballs and no actual fresh veg or fruit. It really is only whatever people put in those food bins. She did get some fresh milk as she had an eight year old but it was grim.

They don't accept fresh, they only want long life, non perishable mainly tins or dried, they do accept jars of stuff like jam and packets of biscuits, and no large wholesaler packs of things.

Original Poster

john184

Worth looking into learning to cook for those who buy 'value' junk. … Worth looking into learning to cook for those who buy 'value' junk. Spuds, pasta, rice and lentils are all cheap and don't require much more than a white sauce and small portion of meat or a stock cube to turn them into a meal for a family which can last a few days.Lidl is hard to beat for meat and the mince is cheap but good IMO.Amazes me how many cry poverty and use foodbanks but can still prioritise their 20 a day and their 'drink'.People have no shame, I blame the liberals.

And yet foodbanks are now increasingly offering cold packs, bags of food for those who can't afford to turn the cooker on or can be done with a kettle hence the constant asking for noodles and instant mash
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News1847
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …160390
      3. Who's getting the Xbox X Scorpio? 60 day satisfaction1322
      4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread415914104

See more discussions