The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy - Returns to BBC Radio 4 (New Series)

Found 4th Mar
Don’t Panic ....

Those of you who have heard of “The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy” will be pleased to learn that there is a new radio series, helpfully titled “ The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy: The Hexagonal Phase”, due to begin on BBC Radio 4.

The six part series starts on BBC Radio 4 on the 8th March at 6:30 p.m. (UK Earth Time).

Those of you who had no idea that such a thing as “The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy” even existed are in for a real treat (if you enjoy radio comedy shows that feature such characters as: Marvin, the Paranoid Android, Arthur Dent, Ford Prefect, Zaphod Beeblebrox and Slartibartfast).

The original radio show was broadcast on the BBC in 1978 .... and was way ahead of it’s time. The subsequent TV and film productions were not as good as the BBC radio shows, in my opinion.

There are many sites on the internet where you may be able to listen to the original radio shows - if you find a way to catch up with “The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy” it could open up a whole new universe to you.

If you are able to listen to the earlier series you will also find the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything....

All thanks go to the author, Douglas Adams.

“So long and thanks for all the fish”
Community Updates
Top comments
deleted13519754th Mar

These Days the BBC trying to be PC break everything they touch the 80's …These Days the BBC trying to be PC break everything they touch the 80's version available from audio books just works for me perfectly. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081874/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

Yeah, best you stay in the 80s. Hope the weather is better.
31 Comments
deleted1351975
These Days the BBC trying to be PC break everything they touch the 80's version available from audio books just works for me perfectly. imdb.com/tit…t_2
deleted13519754th Mar

These Days the BBC trying to be PC break everything they touch the 80's …These Days the BBC trying to be PC break everything they touch the 80's version available from audio books just works for me perfectly. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081874/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

Yeah, best you stay in the 80s. Hope the weather is better.
"Don't panic"
And don’t forget your towel!
deleted13519754th Mar

Thanks for your contribution Marvin.
I don't think I get BBC Radio 42.
The later stuff that was done, by Eion Coifer (I think his name is) and by the bits and pieces left over by Adams which was made into 4 and 5 were dreadful and a dismal follow up to the previous classics, so God alone knows what they've thrown togther for more
PhilK3 m ago

The later stuff that was done, by Eion Coifer (I think his name is) and by …The later stuff that was done, by Eion Coifer (I think his name is) and by the bits and pieces left over by Adams which was made into 4 and 5 were dreadful and a dismal follow up to the previous classics, so God alone knows what they've thrown togther for more

Eoin Coifer: [ eoincolfer.com ]
Wow. Has HUKD just become a tv.radio listings guide now?

"Hey guys, here's my deal, A Question of Sport is on BBC1 on Wednesday night. It's free!!!11 Worth a l@@k"
I read the books years ago and the tv series was good.

The movie was not.
3 of the voice actors are from the original tv series.
This should be fun.

Also like Ed Reardon's Week.
PhilK36 m ago

The later stuff that was done, by Eion Coifer (I think his name is) and by …The later stuff that was done, by Eion Coifer (I think his name is) and by the bits and pieces left over by Adams which was made into 4 and 5 were dreadful and a dismal follow up to the previous classics, so God alone knows what they've thrown togther for more

Series 4 & 5 were based on the 4th and 5th books by Douglas Adams.

This new, 6th series is based on a mix of unfinished material by Douglas Adams and Eoin Colfer's book.
ArthurDent134 m ago

Series 4 & 5 were based on the 4th and 5th books by Douglas Adams.This …Series 4 & 5 were based on the 4th and 5th books by Douglas Adams.This new, 6th series is based on a mix of unfinished material by Douglas Adams and Eoin Colfer's book.

And they were pitifully poor, too. The whole "cricket" thing was badly thought out and executed.
I remember listening to the Coifer HHG attempts - and being far from impressed.
Edited by: "PhilK" 4th Mar
Codify2 h, 0 m ago

Wow. Has HUKD just become a tv.radio listings guide now?"Hey guys, here's …Wow. Has HUKD just become a tv.radio listings guide now?"Hey guys, here's my deal, A Question of Sport is on BBC1 on Wednesday night. It's free!!!11 Worth a l@@k"

I "reported" the thread over an hour ago to suggest it should not be within the "Deals" or "Freebies" forums, but a "Misc" thread &, as yet, nobody in the Moderation team has responded.

UPDATE: Two hours later; now in the "Misc" forum.
Edited by: "fanpages" 4th Mar
I submitted a thread in freebies last night giving a website link where I found (via Google) a link to the first 12 episodes of the original BBC radio 4 series - you can listen for free at that link. After a number of positive comments and votes someone questioned the legality of the site. As I had found it using Google I was unable to confirm this - so the post was removed.

I then advertised the fact that a new series was being released - I saw no indication that you can upload to "discussions" or a "Misc" thread.

It appears that this has now been moved to "Discussions" thread - just the moderators doing their job I suppose and reacting to comments made by others in the thread.

Am I alone in thinking that the world has changed so much over the past few years and that some people just are not happy unless they feel they have something to complain about?
Edited by: "dtc333" 4th Mar
dtc3334 m ago

...I saw no indication that you can upload to "discussions" or a "Misc" …...I saw no indication that you can upload to "discussions" or a "Misc" thread.It appears that this has now been moved to "Discussions" thread - just the moderators doing their job I suppose and reacting to comments made by others in the thread.Am I alone in thinking that the world has changed so much over the past few years and that some people just are not happy unless they feel they have something to complain about?

You can submit a thread to any of the Forums.

This is not a "Deal"; so it should not have been in the "Deals" forum.

That's all.

Thanks for the information, though. I intend to listen to (at least) the first episode.
You can do so on YouTube - but I don't know if I am allowed to say that on this site ...
Edited by: "dtc333" 4th Mar
dtc33319 m ago

I submitted a thread in freebies last night giving a website link where I …I submitted a thread in freebies last night giving a website link where I found (via Google) a link to the first 12 episodes of the original BBC radio 4 series - you can listen for free at that link. After a number of positive comments and votes someone questioned the legality of the site. As I had found it using Google I was unable to confirm this - so the post was removed.I then advertised the fact that a new series was being released - I saw no indication that you can upload to "discussions" or a "Misc" thread.It appears that this has now been moved to "Discussions" thread - just the moderators doing their job I suppose and reacting to comments made by others in the thread.Am I alone in thinking that the world has changed so much over the past few years and that some people just are not happy unless they feel they have something to complain about?

Complain? It's all part of being British (Monty Python)
Gort19512 h, 10 m ago

Complain? It's all part of being British (Monty Python)

When you complain nothing happens, might as well not bother...
Krooner4 m ago

When you complain nothing happens, might as well not bother...

That is what Marvin might have said ....
dtc3331 m ago

That is what Marvin might have said ....

Possibly, but It's the next line in that Python sketch.
33376719-vmELp.jpg
I've complained loads of times and got results.
Asda, Argos, Aldi, Amazon, Wilkinsons, ebay etc...

Take Aldi, I bought a pc mouse and after a few months it was double clicking.
Contacted Aldi and they didn't want to know because I did not have the packaging. (You don't need that by law).

I contacted Aldi head office and told them the way that I was treated.

They told me to go to their website and pick a free item, I picked a DAB radio.

After two days I received a parcel from Holland. In it was a replacement mouse and the DAB radio.
The next day, the same parcel arrived again so I ended up with 2 mice and 2 DAB radios.

One of the DAB radios was faulty, they sent me another.
Edited by: "Gort1951" 4th Mar
Don't get me wrong... I have complained about goods and services in the past and was always satisfied with the response I got.

I think that complaining to companies about poor service gives them a chance to improve.

What does annoy me a little is when someone doubts the legality of posting items on this site that have been sourced using Google - which almost everyone does - and that post gets taken down as the moderators have no choice... All this does is hide things from others which they may have enjoyed (in this case, listening to) ... but that's life ...
dtc3335 m ago

Don't get me wrong... I have complained about goods and services in the …Don't get me wrong... I have complained about goods and services in the past and was always satisfied with the response I got. I think that complaining to companies about poor service gives them a chance to improve.What does annoy me a little is when someone doubts the legality of posting items on this site that have been sourced using Google - which almost everyone does - and that post gets taken down as the moderators have no choice... All this does is hide things from others which they may have enjoyed (in this case, listening to) ... but that's life ...

You can always submit a "Misc" thread to discuss an item you have found via a search engine (& may not be eligible to be listed as a "Deals" thread).
That's democracy for ya.
Gort19514th Mar

3 of the voice actors are from the original tv series.This should be …3 of the voice actors are from the original tv series.This should be fun.Also like Ed Reardon's Week.

Ed Reardon was excellent, but the last couple of series have been a bit flat. Fags, Mags and Bags is still as good as ever.
Never heard of that.
Many people will be surprised about the comedy classics that started out on Radio 4 .... Little Britain, The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy, Dad’s Army ..... to name a few .... if you enjoy Ed Reardon you may like to listen to Winston .... bbc.co.uk/pro…ide
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants