Groups

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - Thoughts and opinion (may contain spoilers)

What are your thoughts of the movie if you have watched it
    I think it's the best movie out this year.

Also I heard that this was the last movie for Lord of the rings and there will be no more movies. Hope that's not true , as there is a lot of information missing , such as what happened to other wizard ( the one that lives in forest) as he is not in the other movies etc

I watched it in 3d , was pointless watching it in 3d as there was hardly any good 3d parts and it just hurt my eyes

38 Comments

Even better than Guardians of the Galaxy?

Yes the middle earth saga is finished now...radagast the wizard in forest is in the lord of the rings. I personally think it leads nicely to lord of the rings...what can they make as a filler movie, be just pointless.

Original Poster

Dhiraj1

Yes the middle earth saga is finished now...radagast the wizard in forest … Yes the middle earth saga is finished now...radagast the wizard in forest is in the lord of the rings. I personally think it leads nicely to lord of the rings...what can they make as a filler movie, be just pointless.

what movie, i seriously cannot remember seeing him before the hobbits movie. Saruman turns evil, gandalf the grey turns into gandalf the white. But the other wizard, there is no mention of him.

bullet9t9

...Also I heard that this was the last movie for Lord of the rings and … ...Also I heard that this was the last movie for Lord of the rings and there will be no more movies....

The last movie that Peter Jackson will be involved with (for the foreseeable future).

I expect somebody will make an attempt to film "The Silmarillion" before the novelty (public's desire to continue the saga) wears off.

bullet9t9

what movie, i seriously cannot remember seeing him before the hobbits … what movie, i seriously cannot remember seeing him before the hobbits movie. Saruman turns evil, gandalf the grey turns into gandalf the white. But the other wizard, there is no mention of him.

In The Fellowship of the Ring, Radagast was unwittingly used by Saruman to lure Gandalf to his tower of Orthanc, where Gandalf was captured. However, Radagast also unwittingly helped rescue him by sending Gwaihir the Eagle to Orthanc with news of the movements of Sauron's forces. When Gwaihir saw that Gandalf was imprisoned on the top of the tower he carried him off to safety before Saruman realized he was gone.[4]

The only other reference to Radagast in The Lord of the Rings is after the Council of Elrond when it is decided to summon all the allies against Sauron together. Scouts are sent to look for help, and it is reported that Radagast is not at his home at Rhosgobel and cannot be found. Tolkien makes no mention of what has happened to Radagast, and he plays no further role in events.

Not watched it but it can't be any worse than the first two...(_;) Despite its flaws Interstellar has been the best cinema going experience for me this year

Original Poster

I've got a feeling there going to do movies in the foreseeable future about each of the main characters , e.g gandalf, Aragon , gimli etc.

Like the hobbits it was about bilbo , they also showed legolas history of his family and the lady who he liked etc

fuzzydunlop

Not watched it but it can't be any worse than the first two...(_;) … Not watched it but it can't be any worse than the first two...(_;) Despite its flaws Interstellar has been the best cinema going experience for me this year

I watched it in the cinemas yesterday, I thought they rushed it in some parts which they should have taken more time with in my opinion. But I did enjoy the first hobbit, felt the story line was good and leading to the next journey, so was looking forward to watching the second one, but that disappointed me, third one was better than the second one in my opinion.
    But have to definitely agree with you, interstellar has far been the best film to watch at the cinema for me as well this year!

Original Poster

Just found out that there was altogether 5 wizards, the two extra ones alatar the blue and pallando the blue. Can anyone confirm if this is true

bullet9t9

Just found out that there was altogether 5 wizards, the two extra ones … Just found out that there was altogether 5 wizards, the two extra ones alatar the blue and pallando the blue. Can anyone confirm if this is true

We could provide a citation, but then that would be highlighting how much you are neglecting the thread you created this afternoon & all the time members have spent responding to you.

I enjoyed it.
    Maybe a little far fetched..

Original Poster

fanpages

We could provide a citation, but then that would be highlighting how much … We could provide a citation, but then that would be highlighting how much you are neglecting the thread you created this afternoon & all the time members have spent responding to you.

Didn't realise from the notification , taking a break from the long work I was doing all day

I enjoyed it, watched it last night in 3D. Again thought the 3D part was pointless and would have enjoyed it in 2D just as much I think.

munnski

I enjoyed it, watched it last night in 3D. Again thought the 3D part … I enjoyed it, watched it last night in 3D. Again thought the 3D part was pointless and would have enjoyed it in 2D just as much I think.

Yeah. this film had a little more 3d than the other two. Especially the battle on the bridge and ice.

The other two deffo pointless.

Only Avatar stands out for me with regards to 3D

How much was it in 3D?x

skintgirl6

How much was it in 3D?x

all of it

Chiptivo

all of it

Sorry, I meant how much did it cost? My son is desperate to go to the cinema and especially for a 3d film and loves Lord of the rings and Hobbit

Varies cinema to cinema, night to night. My ticket last night was £8

Tickets here for 3D are almost £11 I think, I have a cineworld card though so didn't pay anymore to watch it in 3D, normally don't bother with 3D films

I did want to see it in IMAX but left it too late to book the tickets for the seats we wanted! Anyone seen it in IMAX?

Original Poster

skintgirl6

How much was it in 3D?x

It cost me around £9.50 from odeon (use to be AMC)

I enjoyed it and agree the 3d was pointless...... as for the best movie this year, I will have to go with the 'Imitation Game', the acting in that was superb, same can't be said for The Hobbit.....

just1990

I watched it in the cinemas yesterday, I thought they rushed it in some … I watched it in the cinemas yesterday, I thought they rushed it in some parts which they should have taken more time with in my opinion. But I did enjoy the first hobbit, felt the story line was good and leading to the next journey, so was looking forward to watching the second one, but that disappointed me, third one was better than the second one in my opinion. But have to definitely agree with you, interstellar has far been the best film to watch at the cinema for me as well this year!

I haven't seen it yet, though how is it possible to rush it a little. They stretched one book across 3 films.

Oneday77

I haven't seen it yet, though how is it possible to rush it a little. … I haven't seen it yet, though how is it possible to rush it a little. They stretched one book across 3 films.

They should have stretched it to 4 films lol
    Nah I thought there was a few things that they could have shown leading up to the battle, as how did certain army's arrive nothing was shown how they got in touch, it just felt it got rushed to the main battle part and not showing the journey like they did brilliantly with the first film. This is just my opinion, you and others may think I'm talking nonsense X) but there was a few things that I didn't think was great, also the dragon knowing that he was meant to be extremely powerful. Not going to say no more, as i don't want to ruin it by spoiling anyone else's expectations
    But it is a good film, don't get me wrong, guess I was just expecting a little 'something more'
    Edited by: "just1990" 13th Dec 2014

Enjoyed this film after seeing it tonight. Much better than the desolation of Smaug.

Original Poster

just1990

They should have stretched it to 4 films lolNah I thought there was a few … They should have stretched it to 4 films lolNah I thought there was a few things that they could have shown leading up to the battle, as how did certain army's arrive nothing was shown how they got in touch, it just felt it got rushed to the main battle part and not showing the journey like they did brilliantly with the first film. This is just my opinion, you and others may think I'm talking nonsense X) but there was a few things that I didn't think was great, also the dragon knowing that he was meant to be extremely powerful. Not going to say no more, as i don't want to ruin it by spoiling anyone else's expectations But it is a good film, don't get me wrong, guess I was just expecting a little 'something more'

Lol I thought the exact same thing.

I thought the dragons not really dead and that he was going to turn up in the last fight. He died to quick and easily

[ hotukdeals.com/mis…990 ]

miikeyblue

How was the film?

My response:

...a darn sight better than the shoehorned "second" movie (that should have been the second of two, but was extended so much that only the barrel escape scene was the notable element).

That aside... a bit too long really, but the main cast were all on top form (as before).

Worthwhile seeing on the 'big screen', but I don't think I will be in a rush to buy it when it is available for the home video market.

---

[ hotukdeals.com/mis…127 ]

miikeyblue

Might wait till all the kids are back at school before I go and watch it, … Might wait till all the kids are back at school before I go and watch it, glad you enjoyed!

Thanks.

As I mentioned, I took my youngest, & it entertained both of us. There was one kid in the row in front of us with a 'bladder' problem though. Up.. down.. up... down... blocking the screen every time throughout the entire movie. Seriously!

If you are a video game fan, listen out for a tie-in with "Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor" in the last 20 minutes

dcx_badass

Saw it a few hours ago, I hate 3D, find it more of a distraction than a … Saw it a few hours ago, I hate 3D, find it more of a distraction than a feature, £5 at the Odeon, thought it was really good, tied with Mockingjay as the best film, I've not seen Interstellar, but Guardians of the Galaxy was trash.

Did you watch in normal (24 frames per second) 3D, in the High Frame Rate format, or IMAX 3D?

dcx_badass

Sorry, meant to say, I went for 2D, it was 'Odeon 8000 HD' which I … Sorry, meant to say, I went for 2D, it was 'Odeon 8000 HD' which I presume is just their fancy name for a hd digital projector. I presume it was normal 24fps.

I don't usually rate 3D either. I saw the first & the third in "HFR", & the second in IMAX 3D (just for comparison).

I definitely saw the advantages with the greater frames per second.

IMAX 3D I thought was a bit of a gimmick.

Original Poster

miikeyblue

How was the film?

miikeyblue

Might wait till all the kids are back at school before I go and watch … Might wait till all the kids are back at school before I go and watch it, glad you enjoyed!

I've completed shadows of mordor few months on the Xbox one few months ago , I can't remember any reference to that in the movie . Unless I missed something

bullet9t9

I've completed shadows of mordor few months on the Xbox one few months … I've completed shadows of mordor few months on the Xbox one few months ago , I can't remember any reference to that in the movie . Unless I missed something

Or have a poor memory.

Original Poster

fanpages

Or have a poor memory.

Haha my bad, typed fast and didn't realise that I wrote the same thing twice

Banned

Just watched it tonight.
    Disappointed.
    So much nonsense.

I'll list a few things that annoyed me:
    Orlando Bloom
    The Dragon taking so long to get to Lake Town that people had time to pack their belongings and get on boats and get out of town.
    The Dragon bantering with Bard from like a mile away on the other side of town. Bard would be as small as a mouse to that Dragon.
    Mr O. Bloom
    Bard using his son's shoulder to rest and fire the the arrow - apparently no possibility of friction burns or taking his son's ear off.
    The Elves turning up out of nowhere what seemed like the day after the Dragon dies.
    Legolas.
    13 dwarves who after having ditched their battle armour managed to turn the tide of a battle when they came running out of the mountain.
    Huge goats that magically appeared from nowhere to carry some dwarves up a mountain to fight Abbadon the Despoiler (wasn't he in Warhammer 40k?)
    The guy from Pirates of the Caribbean - not Johnny Depp
    Fishermen and their wives on the verge of defeat by Orcs in the town of Dale, but for no actual reason suddenly manage to defeat the Orcs - yes fishermen beating armoured bloodthirsty Orcs that exist purely to kill things.
    The battle in the town of Dale being almost a carbon copy of the battle for Minas Tirith / Gondor in that 3rd LOTR movie.
    That blond haired Elf from Lord of the Rings.
    Gandalf the mighty Wizard who has never cast a spell in his entire Wizarding career and who should therefore fail in a duel with Ron Weasley.
    Abbadon the Despoiler drowning to death under some ice but somehow breaking through that ice after holding his breath for 2 minutes, showing no signs of hypothermia and fighting away alll nonchalant like

Banned

Also, at the end Legolas is told to go find Aragorn.
    It takes him like 55 years to find him and when he does it's purely through coincidence in Rivendell in the first LOTR movie and he shows no actual interest in the guy.

I hate Legolas.

Original Poster

Villa

Just watched it tonight.Disappointed.So much nonsense.I'll list a few … Just watched it tonight.Disappointed.So much nonsense.I'll list a few things that annoyed me:Orlando BloomThe Dragon taking so long to get to Lake Town that people had time to pack their belongings and get on boats and get out of town.The Dragon bantering with Bard from like a mile away on the other side of town. Bard would be as small as a mouse to that Dragon.Mr O. BloomBard using his son's shoulder to rest and fire the the arrow - apparently no possibility of friction burns or taking his son's ear off.The Elves turning up out of nowhere what seemed like the day after the Dragon dies.Legolas.13 dwarves who after having ditched their battle armour managed to turn the tide of a battle when they came running out of the mountain.Huge goats that magically appeared from nowhere to carry some dwarves up a mountain to fight Abbadon the Despoiler (wasn't he in Warhammer 40k?)The guy from Pirates of the Caribbean - not Johnny DeppFishermen and their wives on the verge of defeat by Orcs in the town of Dale, but for no actual reason suddenly manage to defeat the Orcs - yes fishermen beating armoured bloodthirsty Orcs that exist purely to kill things.The battle in the town of Dale being almost a carbon copy of the battle for Minas Tirith / Gondor in that 3rd LOTR movie.That blond haired Elf from Lord of the Rings.Gandalf the mighty Wizard who has never cast a spell in his entire Wizarding career and who should therefore fail in a duel with Ron Weasley.Abbadon the Despoiler drowning to death under some ice but somehow breaking through that ice after holding his breath for 2 minutes, showing no signs of hypothermia and fighting away alll nonchalant like

Iv got a strong feeling that you don't like Orlando bloom/legolas. Hahaha
    Anyway although you picked out many faults with the movie (some I agree ) , the movie was still great I enjoyed it , you must have had higher expectations before watching it , or gutted to the fact that it's the last movie

Banned

I had higher expectations.

I also don't get how that 2nd Orc army was defeated by half a dozen eagles.
    The same Eagles who at the end of the 1st movie could not be bothered to take the Dwarves all the way to the Lonely Mountain / Erebor, but now that the Werebear guy decides he needs a ride out there, they decide to make the journey.

One word review: "Bundle!!!!"

Banned

People actually watch the Hobbit?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk11
      2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains98
      3. Win a safari adventure & claim a free Chicago Town pizza coupon33
      4. Win a Free minion usb stick88

See more discussions