The HUKD DE shaving thread

Found 27th May 2012
Are there any DE shavers on HUKD?
Is anyone curious about DE shaving?

I thought HUKD should have its own DE thread. Post anything you think could be helpful to your fellow DE shavers here.
Feel free to post pics or a description of your collection. Or any questions you have about DE shaving.

So the thread as involved quite a bit since I first posted and an update is well overdue. Thank you to everyone who has contributed.

I will try to collate some of the useful information that has been posted in the thread that will be useful for those new to DE shaving and experienced shavers alike. If anyone feels I have missed anything or would like to add anything please let me know. It will only take me another 8 months to edit it again

I would like to start DE shaving what razor should I get?
The wide consensus is with either the Merkur 34c or Edwin Jagger DE89L, both are well regarded but the DE89L is a bit cheaper than the Merkur. There are many cheaper options such as the Lord L6 or Boots own brand but trust us, buying quality pays dividends when it comes to DE shaving

What brush should I buy and do I need one?
Yes, using a brush and cream will greatly improve your shave. Even if you are happy with multi blade cartridge razors (which is fine) I urge you to consider changing to a brush and cream.
On the thread we like the Vulfix 404 it can be found on Amazon for £12.60 delivered but pops in and out of stock.

What Cream/Soap should I buy?
Very much a personal choice. I would start with cheaper brands before diving right in and going for Castle Forbes (£20 a tub).
Again in the thread we like Proraso and Taylor of Old Bond Street.

What blades should I start with?
There is no correct answer to this, people's experience of blades varies significantly and the same blade can work differently in different razors. The best place to start is buying a blade sample pack to try and find which blade works best for you in your razor.

I want to get in to DE shaving but it seems very expensive, how can I do it as cheaply as possible?
Well Jet Pac has helpfully posted his recommendations which are as follows
So the current recommended new DE shavers kit
(Cheap enough but decent quality and likely to be keepers)

Razor:
Merkur 45c Bakelite - £18 Delivered
Edwin Jagger DE89 - £20.80 Delivered - Full metal option rather than plastic
Merkur 34C - ~£30 A slightly more expensive Full metal razor, heavy and truly excellent
For the super cheap option pick up a Gillette Tech razor on eBay for ~£5-£8 and that will do fine also.
Brush:
Vulfix 404 - £12.60 Delivered
Blades:
Astra Superior Platinum - ~£8 (100 blades, that is roughly 300 shavesworth) Delivered
Soap:
Proraso - £5.10 Delivered (if bought at the same time as the razor at Connaught)
Taylor of Old Bond Street (TOBS) - Various scents - £7.00 Delivered
Palmolive cream and soap (Cheap option) ~ £0.50p - £1.50 from supermarkets or Wilkinsons.

Non-essential but useful or recommended (Links to product that people enjoy, maybe not best price):
please see comment 1207 for links. If people could Like it so it comes to the top of the thread that would be great. All so see comments 256, 257 and 265 for mine, Connelp and HertzVanrRntal recommendations.

I've just bought a new brush, how should I break it in?
Its not unusual for a brush to have a bit of a pong about it when you first but it, especially boar and horse hair. It took me 2 weeks to get the horse smell out of my Vie Long brush (worth it though). HertzVanRental very helpfully posted this guide.
Amazing to get that stage within a such a short time scale! Ditch the Derby blade you started with and, if you've got a pack, try a Feather blade from your sample blades - no need to be scared, just be careful and it's the ultimate experience!! Also I've now got the Vulfix 404 brush that connelp recently highlighted and OMG it's brilliant! Get one for under a tenner and you won't regret it as it is almost as good as the brushes I have that are 8 to 10 times the price, but use this process to break in any brush:

a. Rub the brush in neat Fairy Liquid for a couple of minutes. Wash the brush out.

b. Leave the brush in a Fairy Liquid/Water solution for a few hours. Wash the brush out.

c. Lather the brush up in your favourite soap or cream (as you would do for a shave), then leave it with the soap/cream on the brush over night - this is where the magic happens. Wash the brush out the next day and it leave to dry; the smell of any new brush will be gone and the brush will be at its optimum for use. See comment 319 for original post

I will post some links in comments 6 for some helpful information. Again if people could like the comment so it goes to the front of the thread that would be great.

I'm sure I've missed loads out but thank you to all who have contributed and will continue to contribute. A special thanks to LizzieBear as well, for not only being a girl on a DE shaving thread but for running a very generous competition.
Community Updates
MiscRazor
Top comments
Real men don't shave
Confession time: I finally joined the "multiple razor owners" club... as if that wasn't bad enough, it was with a cheapo chinese clone of the Merkur Futur. I'll simply post my review of the item below :-}

"I hate to say it, but for the money it's fantastic value ! I first set it to setting 1 and it was incredibly mild, and set to 2.5 it was equivalent to an Edwin Jagger. It gave me the best shave I'd ever had in the tricky bit under my chin !"

I think I ordered this when I was dog tired, and as result I missed out - I overpaid for it because I didn't realise I could have had it engraved for what I paid for it (!!!!) - I paid £7.15 delivered.

If you're a cheapskate (ha !) you can order for £5.52 delivered.

aliexpress.com/sto…red
4460 Comments
DE leted nonsense threads??
I'm still none the wiser
LINK
If I say I cannot see this being a very long thread, hundreds will prove me wrong
Beard or nether regions?
Some useful links to get you started.

Mantic59's youtube channel Please watch these videos, they will teach you a lot and give you an idea of how shave and what to expect.

How to Prep for a shave known as Kyle's prep one of the best routine's in shaving. Doesn't have to be taken as law but a good starting point

Edited by: "dolphinninja" 27th Jan 2013
CrazyHorses

Beard or nether regions?

Beard. You would be very brave to use a DE further down.
I remember my father used to shave with these when I was a kid, about 35yrs ago.
http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r545/dolphinninja/IMG_00000008.jpg

Hopefully a slightly better pic.
The razor starting from the left are: a red tipped super speed, gold gillette aristocrat, gillette fat handle tech, a 1934 Laurel dumbell razor which is useless as it uses its own kind of blades which you can't get any more and a merkur 34 c.
I've been a DE user for a few years now. Using a Merkur 34c with feather blades. Best thing i ever did (Shaving wise obviously!)
Real men don't shave
John Koontz happened to find wet shaving while looking for a better, less expensive shave about 2 years ago.

What an unfortunate name.
Goonieman

I've been a DE user for a few years now. Using a Merkur 34c with feather … I've been a DE user for a few years now. Using a Merkur 34c with feather blades. Best thing i ever did (Shaving wise obviously!)

I started with the 34c and feathers. Good combination but I've moved away from both. The 34 c gives me at least one weeper a shave and feathers leave my skin slightly irritated. I would recommend a vintage gillette. The Tech in particular are very mild and can be found on a certain auction site for £10-15 and give an excellent shave.
realblender

Is the red stuff on the bottle left of the table blood?

What you referring to? The only two things I can think of is the tip of the superspeed razor which is a red tip one, so thats just the razor handle.
Or the horse hair brush in the middle in which case thats just the colour of the cheapo plastic handle. Or are you asking about something completely different?
Subbed.
Why would anyone go to so much trouble and/or expense over shaving?
deek72

5. It’s fun!

Allegedly.........
deek72

I was like that. I used to hate shaving. I used to shave in the shower. It used to give me bad spots and irritation. The cartridge razor refills were expensive and didn't last very long.
Now my shave is my 10 minutes of peace in the morning. Also if you look in my pic the slightly orange shaving brush was my Grandpa's. I like using it as it's one of two things I own of his and is very important to me.
I get it is only shaving but its gone from being a chore to a pleasure, my skin is better the shave is better and its a great start to the day.
realblender

Sorry, spell checker corrected wrong. I was refering to the stains on … Sorry, spell checker corrected wrong. I was refering to the stains on the actual table to the left of the blades Anyway, I have subbed too. I have gear like this and am interested that people are interested in this and curious.

Well join in and post some pics.
The stain is an ink spill. My desk is always a mess. It was a cheap table from a charity shop and its a good job to cos I've wrecked it. I treat my shaving stuff a lot better.
Well my great start to the day is a fag and a cup of coffee lol. I use both types but have to say I prefer my old Mach 3 and a face covered in Dove soap....
deleted265520
dafuq
The best way is a traditional cut-throat and sharpening belt.
dolphinninja

I was like that. I used to hate shaving. I used to shave in the shower. … I was like that. I used to hate shaving. I used to shave in the shower. It used to give me bad spots and irritation. The cartridge razor refills were expensive and didn't last very long.Now my shave is my 10 minutes of peace in the morning. Also if you look in my pic the slightly orange shaving brush was my Grandpa's. I like using it as it's one of two things I own of his and is very important to me.I get it is only shaving but its gone from being a chore to a pleasure, my skin is better the shave is better and its a great start to the day.

Sure fair comments. If you enjoy it that's great, really. I just feel it that rather than going from being a chore to a pleasure, it would become a chore for me. 5 minutes in the shower with my Nivea wet/dry shaver and a bar of Imperial Leather works just fine for me.
dolphinninja

I started with the 34c and feathers. Good combination but I've moved away … I started with the 34c and feathers. Good combination but I've moved away from both. The 34 c gives me at least one weeper a shave and feathers leave my skin slightly irritated. I would recommend a vintage gillette. The Tech in particular are very mild and can be found on a certain auction site for £10-15 and give an excellent shave.

I'll stick with the 34c, It gives me a excellent shave. I can get a with and across grain pass on one lather and a rub with the alum block shows no irritation at all.
deek72

Once the initial cost of getting the gear has been forked out you'll save money. A good razor should last a lifetime and the blades can be pennys. Also, once you've learned how to use the razor it really is no trouble.
Sorry to be mean but all that old shaving stuff gives me the creeps. I understand the sentimentality behind your grandads things but for me personally I don't like antiquated things and prefer modern items which to me, look much cleaner.

I can't imagine shaving every day, so am grateful to be female and can understand you want to make the task as easy as possible.

Actually, shaving paraphernalia makes me feel a bit icky. I use a men's sensitive multi pack of bic razors to do my legs and under my arms. The razors are disposeable and I don't like seeing one that has been used, so it goes straight in the bin.
deek72

dga

I don't recall shaving this year, it's that exhilarating

Awww... bless.

Puberty will come soon, don't worry about it dga.
realblender

Got the gear but no idea (or blades) ? Is this any good for a wanabee DE … Got the gear but no idea (or blades) ? Is this any good for a wanabee DE affectionado?http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/802/dsc0164p.jpg/

Mate that is some fantastic gear. Your razor is a gillette adjustable. the numbers just below the head adjust the blade gap making the razor more aggressive 1 being mild and you'd have to be chuck norris to shave with no 9. That is really nice though I'm jealous. Your brush and scuttle look good. Where did you get the set from?
If you want some blades pm me I'll send you some that razor need to be used.
Your just missing shaving soap. If you search around for 'Arko' people love it and its really cheap if your looking to try something out.
Let me know about the blades
CrazyHorses

Sorry to be mean but all that old shaving stuff gives me the creeps. I … Sorry to be mean but all that old shaving stuff gives me the creeps. I understand the sentimentality behind your grandads things but for me personally I don't like antiquated things and prefer modern items which to me, look much cleaner.I can't imagine shaving every day, so am grateful to be female and can understand you want to make the task as easy as possible.Actually, shaving paraphernalia makes me feel a bit icky. I use a men's sensitive multi pack of bic razors to do my legs and under my arms. The razors are disposeable and I don't like seeing one that has been used, so it goes straight in the bin.

I used to hate shaving but now I really enjoy it. As far as hygiene goes DE shaving is much more hygienic then cartridge razors. For a start there non porous steel which bacteria will find it harder to grow on than plastic. I change blades every three shaves rather than using the same cartridge for a month or two. As the blade is changed regularly you don't get all the gunk a cartridge will collect over the month its used. If in any doubt chuck the razor in some disenfectant or barbicide. Not bleech though never bleech. There are DE razor for ladies if you're ever interested but I doubt you ever will be.
ps I had no idea you were a girl
dolphinninja

...Your brush and scuttle look good...

http://ring.cdandlp.com/paskale/photo_grande/114801814.jpg
Another DE fan here.
Can't stress enough how much better shaving is compared to those mass blade cartridge pulling efforts.
Being a cheapskate I use a Kent brush and stand, but couple with Arko or Proraso Soap, and either and Edwin Jagger DE89L, or when travelling a cheap Gillette Classic.

Glad to find this thread here.
i used to use it but i don't anymore its too time consuming, i have to shave everyday in the morning so i use king of shaves razor, only takes me 2 to 5 minutes..
PS: i don't enjoy shaving at all i wish i get a better job where i can be myself
humadoon

PS: i don't enjoy shaving at all i wish i get a better job where i can be … PS: i don't enjoy shaving at all i wish i get a better job where i can be myself

Who are you in your present job?
Today, Matthew, I'm going to be a television presenter & actor falsely accused but later acquitted.

Before shaving one morning:

http://www.kyeo.tv/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/618_tv_stars_in_their_eyes_matthew_kely.jpg

Afterwards:

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01009/SNN22TVKELLY_280_1009657a.jpg
yes there are many on the forum, just check out any gillette razor thread and you will find someone preaching about it
Astra, Derby, Merkur, Perma what are the differences between these blades price/performance etc
Derby and Merkur blades aren't highly rated.

Astra and Permasharps are good blades. Both made by Gillette.
humadoon

i used to use it but i don't anymore its too time consuming, i have to … i used to use it but i don't anymore its too time consuming, i have to shave everyday in the morning so i use king of shaves razor, only takes me 2 to 5 minutes..

You should get back in to mate just get up 10 mins earlier to make room for your shave. It's worth it trust me
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants