The HUKD home for Star Trek: Discovery

Found 25th Sep 2017
Right, so today is the day my fellow trekkies. Been gnawing away at the fingertips ever since the announcement in 2015 and more so these last few months from all the swirling rumours on whether it is to be held in Prime, Kelvin or a bit of an in-between (thanks to the CBS/Viacom/Paramount legals and licences).

From my perspective, this is exciting to see another trek series on the box again. Goes back to my TNG days after school. Reviews appear to be strong.

So, see you here after the double pilot

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
115 Comments

Can’t wait!!!!!

[quote=popolou]Goes back to my TNG days after school.[/quote]
On BBC2 !!!

When does it start? Star Trek Voyager was the best Star Trek series.

I wondered about the title until I remember I was a bit dyslexic.

Is this going to be another one thats set before the first, where the tech looks more advanced then the first

woot woot! Glad its on Netflix, so much easier! Cant wait to get my trek on tonight

Segata-Sanshiro15 m ago

Is this going to be another one thats set before the first, where the tech …Is this going to be another one thats set before the first, where the tech looks more advanced then the first

...and featuring numerous alien races which don't exist in an any of the earlier (filmed earlier, chronologically later) series.
Edited by: "spoo" 25th Sep 2017

you Trekkie nerds really crack me up
32084111-gbdLF.jpg

Segata-Sanshiro33 m ago

Is this going to be another one thats set before the first, where the tech …Is this going to be another one thats set before the first, where the tech looks more advanced then the first

No Borg?

spoo30 m ago

...and featuring numerous alien races which don't exist in an any of the …...and featuring numerous alien races which don't exist in an any of the earlier (filmed earlier, chronologically later) series.

Its strange the way they do it, i think its ego's always wanting to make their mark regardless of the original subject matter.

Judging by the trailer its going to be another time in klinon history they don't like to talk about.

32084301-gDNLf.jpg

Saw The Orville. Seems like a Star Trek remake as well.

Segata-Sanshiro11 m ago

Its strange the way they do it, i think its ego's always wanting to make …Its strange the way they do it, i think its ego's always wanting to make their mark regardless of the original subject matter.Judging by the trailer its going to be another time in klinon history they don't like to talk about.

Yes, it's the main thing which bugged me about Enterprise. If they wanted to introduce new aliens there were plenty of species which made brief appearances in the earlier series or films but which we knew virtually nothing about.

shabbird7 m ago

Is that the latest film in the Saw franchise, featuring a green duck in a nappy as the new Jigsaw?

Here's a video that appeared on my feed a couple of weeks ago discussing the state of the galaxy in the new series and which alien races this fan believes could make an appearance. Thought it may be of interest to some.

spoo9 m ago

Yes, it's the main thing which bugged me about Enterprise. If they wanted …Yes, it's the main thing which bugged me about Enterprise. If they wanted to introduce new aliens there were plenty of species which made brief appearances in the earlier series or films but which we knew virtually nothing about.

I read online this thing takes inspiration from game of thrones, i have no idea what that means I guess it means they are trying to attract a larger audience. I've never watched game of thrones.

Just watched the first episode.The Vulcan Hello
SoSo So far.
A bit slow and not to much info on crew or universe yet.
Not keen on the title sequence and music.
Edited by: "bigwheels" 25th Sep 2017

Battle At The Binary Stars E2
uch better very strange outcome.
Looking forward to E3 now.

From the look of the sets, they're in the Kelvin Timeline.
Be interesting to see how much they 'borrow' from the classic series, if anything!
The look of the Kingons is slightly odd? Not sure where they're going there!

7 out of 10 so far, looks a major change of pace when ep3 starts next week . . .
Edited by: "steve1221" 25th Sep 2017

Original Poster

jco837 h, 17 m ago

[quote=popolou]Goes back to my TNG days after school.[/quote]On BBC2 !!! …[quote=popolou]Goes back to my TNG days after school.[/quote]On BBC2 !!!

Actually I'm a little older....Sky One!

Original Poster

Segata-Sanshiro7 h, 2 m ago

Check out the intro to Star Trek VI and the episode of VOY when they recreated the scene. Flat screens replaced CRTs

Original Poster

spoo6 h, 59 m ago

...and featuring numerous alien races which don't exist in an any of the …...and featuring numerous alien races which don't exist in an any of the earlier (filmed earlier, chronologically later) series.

True dat. Problem already exists with this crew member that 'senses death'....

What I could only hope is that if they are going to create new Alpha Quadrant aliens then they need to keep it cannon. I can see a situation where a race gets significant involvement in a story arc only to leave us asking where the hell were they when something significant happened in trek 'history'.

Pops

Original Poster

shabbird6 h, 29 m ago

Yup good spot. Some long-standing Trek members were on the movie production team so it's a valid observation.

Original Poster

Predikuesi7 h, 37 m ago

I wondered about the title until I remember I was a bit dyslexic.

Cheers, no excuse really

Original Poster

@Dark.Energy
you Trekkie nerds really crack me up

I'll see your laughing Klingon and raise you...

Edited by: "popolou" 25th Sep 2017

I loved ENTERPRISE. It ran from 2001 - 2005. Due to a number of die-hard Trekkies and their endless moaning about the Trek universe continuity and what not, the show got bad reviews and got cancelled. If only this lot had kept their mouth shut, we wouldn't have had to wait 12 years for a Star Trek show!

I enjoyed the first 2 episodes.

Very visually attractive.

I think that they served to set-up the rest of the season, which I think is why some may be a little disappointed.

It’s not quite in the style of previous generations of the show and has a different feel to it, so will take a period of adjustment.

The only poor thing that I found is the theme graphics and music, which is just not memorable.

Now that Jason Isaacs gets his chance to shine then I think the energy will build.

Shame about the early exit of Michelle Yeoh though as she makes a very good Captain.

If I have one real concern it is that the pushing of female lead characters may be done for the wrong reasons and could detract from the overall enjoyment of the show.

We had Janeway, who was excellent, so don’t really need to keep pushing any subliminal feminist themes.

The Klingons are cool too.

Where does this series sit within the timeline of the other series?

Destard15 m ago

Where does this series sit within the timeline of the other series?

I think its after Kirk, but before Picard.

david_wavid30 m ago

I think its after Kirk, but before Picard.

It's before both.

Illusionary12 m ago

It's before both.

I read a decade after the original series?

Deaa9 m ago

I read a decade after the original series?

You read wrong

Ten years before, not after.

Illusionary5 m ago

You read wrong :pTen years before, not after.

Ah seems you right! thanks
Looks like I miss read how its between the 2000 Enterprise and the original series (which sort of goes without saying since that enterprise is the very beginning! )

Just watch both episodes, very good and what trek needed IMO.. the 90's TNG, DS or VOY episode style just doesn't work anymore its why we have game of thrones and not Xena.. I miss Stargate too and Universe was great but fans wanted Atlantis style stuff.

May we get a healthy amount of seasons..

Original Poster

With all the doubt at the beginning and the gestation problems/rumours, I too am glad with what I saw. There is also a healthy amount of positivity around it too from the fans and I agree, there does appear to be something of substance here that they can work with. Sci-Fi has moved on considerably both in TV shows and movies so it does feel like they have moved with the times too.

Visually, it's very pretty. Love the fact that the technical babble is still there and they hadn't thought there was a need to dumb it down. The sound and feel of trek are all there. There was a sense of long, drawn out formality in all the acting which is perhaps the norm in any pilot so I suspect we'll soon see the actors find their comfort zones in due course just like any other trek show. Even the 2min teaser of what's to come rivals the suspense of some Hollywood trailers.

Yup, very excited to see what they can do.

Pops

Doing my best but so far- the two lead actresses can't act and wtf happened to the Klingons again! No suspense in any BS war storylines as we know the Klingons fought along side the federation against the dominion....now DS9 is how you put a ST series together!

Timeline and tech wise - it's just ten years before Kirk no? So I am just saying it's same universe as new movies and ignoring issues with original series (but I'm not a Trekkie)

i enjoyed it. Slow but not usual Star Trek TV slow.

looking forward to the rest

joanddan714 h, 44 m ago

Timeline and tech wise - it's just ten years before Kirk no? So I am just …Timeline and tech wise - it's just ten years before Kirk no? So I am just saying it's same universe as new movies and ignoring issues with original series (but I'm not a Trekkie) i enjoyed it. Slow but not usual Star Trek TV slow.looking forward to the rest

Yes, this is set ten years before The Original Series. However, the new movies form a separate continuation and so aren't directly linked to any of the TV series, including Discovery.

Illusionary2 h, 17 m ago

Yes, this is set ten years before The Original Series. However, the new …Yes, this is set ten years before The Original Series. However, the new movies form a separate continuation and so aren't directly linked to any of the TV series, including Discovery.

Fair enough but for my enjoyment I can pretend.

Discovery really doesn't work with the old TV series at all

joanddan717 m ago

Fair enough but for my enjoyment I can pretend.Discovery really doesn't …Fair enough but for my enjoyment I can pretend.Discovery really doesn't work with the old TV series at all

How do you mean? I don't think that it's contradicting anything significant, is it?

Certainly it's a different style of show, but to me it comes across as an evolution of the form rather than a contradiction.
Edited by: "Illusionary" 1st Oct 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions